19

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 2009

            The rubbing alcohol and strong sanitizer scent drifted into my nostrils. Without even having to open my eyes, I knew I was in the hospital. I lazily opened my eyelids anyway, just to confirm where I was at. Surprisingly, I didn’t hear any couples quarreling nor did I hear people accusing others of stealing their prized possessions. Propping myself on my elbows, I scanned the room.

            It was just my bed and a spacious living area. Leather couches were pushed against the wall opposite to where I was lying. A rug was placed beneath the furniture. It seemed as if I wasn’t even at a hospital – aside from the smell, of course. I was about to walk around the room when I realized that the IV needle was firmly planted into my veins, supplying the nutrients I needed.

            Quickly looking away, I spared myself from puking. I despised needles. In fact, I hated any sharp objects. This fear was all accredited to my mother and my history with beatings. Swinging my feet back onto the bed, I glared at the IV cord attached to my arm. Stupid IV cord.

* * * *

            Jong In was still in a stupor, recalling Hana’s confession. After fainting, Sehun had immediately dialed 119 for the ambulance. Fortunately, Golden Flame was located in the heart of Seoul and the fire station was only a few blocks down. However, the person that went into the vehicle with Hana was none other than Sehun.

            Jong In was in a daze, and he was in no condition to answer the ambulance’s questions. But then again, when did Sehun know so much about Hana? Eventually, Jong In boarded the bus and headed over to the hospital to meet up with Sehun.

            But surprisingly, Sehun acted mildly harsh towards Jong In. He refused to speak with the said male. The only thing Sehun was doing was constantly checking up on Hana. Jong In suddenly felt like he didn’t belong. He felt like he didn’t even have the right to be alongside Hana.

            The afternoon slowly transitioned to the night, and still, Hana did not wake.

            Finally, Sehun spoke. “Let’s get a quick meal.”

            Reluctantly, Jong In followed Sehun’s footsteps, not wanting to part with Hana. But he had no choice. Sehun was the one with the higher standing in the society. Jong In believed that the less wealthy had to listen to the wealthier. That was just how Jong In imagined things.

* * * *

            “I don’t want to hear any of your explanations,” Sehun clarified as he figured Jong In would want to explain his history with Hana. Sehun respected privacy, although him eavesdropping didn’t really support that idea. To be more specific, Sehun respected privacy…to a certain extent.

            “Right now, all I want is for Hana to recover quickly.” He sipped on a spoonful of chicken soup. “Surely, you would wish for the same thing, wouldn’t you?” Sehun glanced at Jong In for his answer.

            “…yeah, I do,” Jong In mumbled, “after all, I was at fault.”

            “I don’t have much say in that,” admitted Sehun, “but if you do admit you’re guilty, then so be it. I just don’t want this to happen again. Having to take care of employees is a hassle, as you can see.”

            Jong In bit his lip, trying to prevent himself from saying anything offensive. But when he opened his mouth to eat rice, he suddenly brought his arm to the table. “If it’s a hassle, then why don’t you just let the employees take care of themselves?”

            Sehun took a drink of water before speaking. “If it happens in my company, of course, I have to take responsibility of it.”

            Jong In countered back, “Surely, that isn’t the only reason why you did such a thing.”

            “Oh, Jong In, I’m sure we’re all fami

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter