04

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September 2008

            Turned out, Jong In and I lived across from each other. I hadn’t even taken notice of him until I stepped out of the apartment the next morning. My work shift at the nearby supermarket didn’t start till 10AM, so I usually got up around 9 to begin my day. I grabbed a protein bar from the cabinet before slipping on my shoes to head outside. Jong In was standing outside with his back faced towards me. When he heard my door slam shut, he turned around.

            “Good morning,” I said politely with a small nod of my head.

            “Good morning,” he answered, “are you going out?” His eyes swept over my outfit, causing me to feel self-conscious. My fingers combed through the tangles in my hair, hinting at my nervousness.

            “I’m actually heading to work,” I explained, “and you?”

            “I’m actually going to grab some coffee,” Jong In replied. He then took me by the crook of my elbow as he led me downstairs to the open street. “So where do you work?”

            “At the supermarket,” I avoided eye contact at all costs. I was ashamed to be working at such a low-paying place, but if my mother was more considerate, I wouldn’t have to pay for my college education.

            “Does that mean you get discounts on the groceries there? I mean, since you’re an employee and all.”

            I cracked a small smile upon hearing this. “No, but I do eat the potato chips there,” I admitted.

            “Do you think you can lend me a few bags?” Jong In joked with a playful glint twinkling in his eyes. I gently pushed him with my shoulder while rolling my eyes.

            “Sure, just show me the money first.”  I rubbed my fingers together, implying for the dollars to be placed in the palm of my hand.

            “So you’re the greedy kind of girl, I see,” Jong In commented.

            “And you’re the kind of boy who leeches off his girlfriend,” I retorted with a huff. Without even realizing it, we had already reached the supermarket’s entrance.

            “I think I’m going to do some grocery shopping,” Jong In proclaimed as he advanced towards the door first. I looked at his retreating back one more time, musing over his actions. Jong In saved me – he’s not that bad of a guy.

            That day, I didn’t realize that Jong In didn’t purchase the coffee he had mentioned before.

* * * *

December 2008

            “So you were the girl who saved my son.” Her beady eyes bore two holes into my head. The aura she gave off was refined and elegant – not much of a surprise for a wife of a supposed billionaire. However, I could tell she wasn’t arrogant, which was something I was grateful for. Prim and proper I could stand, but arrogance I could not.

            “Yes,” I crossed my arms over my chest, hoping to produce warmth. The paper-thin hospital attire did not supply much heat, allowing for the cold to seep through the fabric easily.

            “Well I should thank you for that,” she said, “Your hospital bills will be taken care of.” This is what I did not like about rich people. When someone saves something of importance, or any favor for that matter, the wealthy feel that they owe that person something. They do not seem to realize that some things cannot be repaid. Like lives.

            I hesitated. I did not know what to answer with. Instead, I involuntarily shook my head.

            “No?” Her voice raised an octave higher. “Is this not enough for you?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter