23

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April 2009

            Jong In and I eased back into our phase of being best friends. However, things were much different from the year prior to the present day. Everytime Jong In and I ate dinner, I would invite Sehun and vice versa. They grew accustomed to each other, and I guess it’s safe to say we all became close with one another. But what I was not aware of was that I was the string that held Sehun and Jong In together.

            On the days I would doze off on the couch, sandwiched between Sehun and Jong In, I would occasionally hear them talk amongst themselves about me. I wasn’t sleeping, but I wasn’t awake either. I was just sort of…stuck in between two worlds – reality and fictional dreams.

            “Jong In, be honest with me. Do you still think about Eun Hye?”

            Jong In let out an empty laugh. “When do I not? Your first love will always be the hardest to get over. I guess that’s the scary thing about relationships – you either break up with them or you marry them. I try to remind myself to get over her, but I can’t. Things like this…it takes time.” He sighed. “What about you, Sehun?”

            “I loved someone, but not in a romantic way. She was like an older sibling to me. But…right now, I’m experiencing my first love. I guess first love is really difficult to go through, especially when it’s unrequited. Everytime she doesn’t look at me, it hurts me. It hurts me to not pull her into my arms and shower her with love. It’s just…”

            “Who is it? Do I know her?”

            “…yeah, you do,” Sehun said. I could feel his breath kissing my neck. “It’s Hana.”

* * * *

            Sehun called me into his office, the next day. “Hana, can you finish the paperwork earlier than usual? I want to have dinner with you and I already made a reservation.” An odd feeling churned in my stomach. Clearly, I was recalling what I had overheard last night. Perhaps I was hallucinating. Perhaps, he was just bluffing. Perhaps…

            “Oh, yeah, I’m about done,” I said, “I should probably call Jong In.”

            “Oh. That’s not necessary. I already called him and he said he couldn’t make it tonight.”

            “Okay.” As I turned around to leave, Sehun called out.

            “Go home early today and change into more formal attire. I’ll pick you up around seven.”

            Hearing this, I got even more cautious. Nonetheless, I heeded his request and left work.

* * * *

            La Verdad overlooked the Han River and the skyline. Situated in a tower, La Verdad housed customers that ranged from magazine-topping models to old senior CEO’s. The bright LED lights in the horizon momentarily blinded me, but it was beautiful scenery. Sehun sat across from me in his dashing Armani suit. I don’t recall if he was wearing that earlier that day, but regardless, he looked absolutely ravishing in that gray suit.  

            After dessert, Sehun and I exchanged a few words, keeping our conversation minimized. Sehun acknowledged my enjoyment for nature, so he left me to be. Eventually, we eased into a comfortable silence. Sehun had excused himself to the bathroom after finishing his glass of wine. Half an hour later, he was still missing.

            “Would you like a refill, miss?” The waiter for our table gestured to my empty glass cup. I nodded, handing him the cup to fill. As he poured out the bottle’s contents into the glassware, I took this time to ask about Sehun.

            “By any chance, do you know what happened to the man who came with me?”

            “Oh,” the waiter met

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter