01

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September 2008

            I took one tiny step towards the ledge. And my other foot soon followed. Upon standing up on the tenth floor of the apartment building, I felt the wind ruffle my hair. I closed my eyes, tasting in the sweet serenity. Finally, I thought to myself. Finally time alone.

            I had considered many other methods, but by comparison, they were much more brutal. I decided to not bring myself to cutting or hanging of any sort, instead, just leave in peace. I shuffled my feet farther and farther from the rooftop, savoring the peace. At last, time for myself.

            I squeezed my eyes shut, finally feeling the invisible burden being lifted off my shoulders. Just one more step, I thought to myself. However, before anything really happened, a steel grip clamped onto my wrist, precluding me from doing anything further.

            My eyes flickered open in alarm before I whirled around to face the newcomer. He was rather tall as compared to the average Korean men. His ashy hair definitely needed a t, because his bangs slanted over his eyes. His plump lips were jutting out as he parted them to say something. I did not happen to catch what he said, for I was too occupied with musing over his features.

            That day, I learned that his name was Kim Jong In.

            And he was my supposed savior that I accidentally fell for.

* * * *

December 2008

            In celebration for our three month friendship anniversary, Jong In drove us up to the mountains for a day hike. He claimed that our minds would become instantly clearer. I was not too sure if there was irony lying within his words, but I suppose what he said was true.

            If Jong In hadn’t chosen to bring us to the mountains on the first day of winter, we would have never saved another life from being taken away. Oh Sehun was his name. He had tried killing himself by jumping off a cliff, but we had saved him just in time.

            Turned out, there was an additional bonus to salvaging his life. His father was in charge of a chain of skyscrapers that dotted Korea’s skyline. In return for saving his son’s life, Jong In and I were hired as employees.  

* * * *

September 2013

            “I was thinking of expanding Golden Flame,” Sehun says, “but we can’t do it without an extra plot of land, which is precisely where you come in.”

            Wu Yi Fan’s lips curl into a smile. He responds in a thick Chinese accent, “Sure, but what would you give in exchange? I’m willing to give up that extra plot of land in Cheongdam, only if you comply with my request.”

            “Depends on your request,” Sehun folds his hands expectantly.

            “I would like to borrow your secretary for a day – word on the street is that she’s very responsible and dutiful,” Yi Fan says with a mischievous twinkle gleaming in his eyes.

            “My apologies, Mr. Wu, but I’m afraid she’s off limits,” Sehun fakes a casual smile.

            “Oh, is that so?” Yi Fan an eyebrow. “If that’s the case, I suppose you’ll have to search harder for more land openings. But then again, my fellow counterparts and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter