Diplomacy

Vlog

Leeteuk sat at his computer fiddling with the settings on his camera. It was Saturday afternoon following his hagwon lessons. In a little while his mom was taking him to get a flu shot and then the night would probably be spent staring off into space since no one had invited him to anything. Leeteuk wasn't outgoing enough to invite anyone anywhere and bringing friends home definitely wasn't an option with his dad around.

Sitting back in his chair with a slow yawn, Leeteuk smiled and started recording.

"Hi there. Saturday night. I didn't have time to update Thursday or Friday. Don't worry, nothing happened." He chuckled. "Heechul was there, but always just out of reach. I'm not about to go looking for him and confront him face on. It wouldn't work anyway. I'd get about halfway to him before Kangin would stop me. Or worse, Sohee or Jessica.

"Speaking of Jessica, she's been out the past couple of days. Rumor has it that she's been sick. I don't really mind, it's nice not having someone glaring at me during classes and lunch. Sometimes I wonder if Heechul's popular people know that we used to be good friends."

Leeteuk shrugged and looked at his phone as it started buzzing on his desk.  He kept recording as he grabbed it. In the middle of reading the first text a second came to him. "Wow, I feel a little popular now," he chuckled. "Sora and Donghae want me to go with them tonight. Maybe I can talk my mom into letting me go." Leeteuk sighed and set his phone away.

"So I was thinking that maybe I should just find Heechul's number and text him, or call. But what would I even say? 'Hey I found your crumpled up drawing, thought maybe you'd like it back?'" He laughed softly and shook his head. "Hey, you're a jerk for leaving me and I kind of hate you, but also I'm a little in love with you." Leeteuk smirked and shook his head again. "Hey, I look at girls legs a lot, but as soon as I think about what's between them, I start thinking about what you look like . I'd like to see for myself sometime?"

Chuckling, Leeteuk sighed and stopped recording as his mom knocked on the door.

"You ready?" She asked when he opened it.

Leeteuk nodded and grabbed his phone and allowance. "Hey mom, do you think I can go out to eat with some friends tonight?"

"Friends?" She asked with a smile, leading the way out to the car. "The same boy you went with this week?"

"Donghae, yeah. And the girl from school. Sora. They're going to a restaurant, maybe a movie and asked if I can too."

His mom nodded. "Sounds okay to me. Do you need more money?"

Leeteuk shook his head and smiled brightly, getting in the car.

When they’d finished the business of shots, avoiding the other sick people in line at the pharmacy, Leeteuk started texting for where to meet his friends. Sora got Leeteuk the location first and his mom dropped him off with a few extra bills and a promise to pick him up if they ran too late to get home by bus.

Leeteuk noticed that Eunhyuk was also with them as he walked up to meet the others. He guessed pessimistically that that was why he’d really been invited, so Sora wouldn’t feel like a third wheel against the two dancers. His fear subsided as they got a table in the restaurant because Sora was good at keeping everyone talking together.

“Is everyone excited for the 14th?” Sora asked. When the boys stared at her she continued. “Because we’re having a dance at school? Jeez, do you pay any attention to the world around you?”

Leeteuk chuckled; he definitely didn’t, thinking about Heechul too much.

“Sounds boring on its own,” Donghae said. “But if we went as a group it could be fun?”

“Yeah, as a group sounds good,” Eunhyuk nodded. “We could take over the dance floor too.” He laughed and nudged Donghae.

“By then we could make a whole choreography,” Sora said, getting excited. “What do you think, Leeteuk?”

Sora had taken from Donghae and Eunhyuk to call him by his nickname. Leeteuk was starting to really love his nickname being used by present company. “Yeah, I’m good for group work.” He smiled. “I don’t know if I could manage dancing in front of everyone, but maybe.”

“Oh, you will,” Donghae grinned. “If we have to get you drunk, you’ll dance with us.”

Leeteuk laughed and glanced around the full restaurant. His gaze paused at the person who just walked in and his breath caught. Heechul was standing there. Leeteuk set his elbow immediately on the table to hide his face with his hand.

Sora looked at what had caused the change in Leeteuk and watched Heechul. He was alone and the waitress had asked him to wait for an empty table. “Hey, do you guys mind company?” Sora asked and nodded in Heechul’s direction.

Donghae and Leeteuk both tried to stop her but she was already waving to get Heechul’s attention.

“Heechul-ssi,” Sora called, waving still. “You can sit with us.”

Heechul looked up from his phone at the crazily waving girl. He recognized her as someone Leeteuk was generally close with, but he couldn’t remember her name. Not expecting a table for at least a half hour, Heechul decided what the hell and went over to her, if only to make her stop causing a scene.

Heechul saw Donghae and Eunhyuk to one side of the table as he got closer, he recognized that Leeteuk was sitting right next to Sora as well. With a tiny smirk he sat down next to him and looked across the table at Donghae and Eunhyuk.

“Hey,” Donghae said.

“Yeah,” Heechul nodded. “You guys don’t mind if I sit with you?” He gave them all a skeptical glance.

Donghae shrugged. “As long as you’re not causing problems.” He looked long and hard at Heechul. He could see that he wasn’t going to be trouble though, so he smiled.

Heechul chuckled. “You offered me a seat. I’m not going to take that for granted.”

Sora smiled at Heechul. “I knew you were nice on the inside.”

Leeteuk was now sitting between a girl he wished would leave him alone and his ex-best friend turned crush. All the times he’d wished to be invisible during school were amplified into this one terrifying instant. He kept staring hard at the table, somewhere between wanting to cry and needing desperately to talk to Heechul.

Heechul chuckled and looked up when the waitress brought over a menu. He refused it, ordering what he wanted in a soft tone. As soon as the waitress walked away with his order a different server was bringing the other four their meals.

“We’ll wait for you,” Sora offered.

Heechul shook his head. “You shouldn’t. I don’t mind. A seat is nice enough.” Heechul still couldn’t really believe they’d even offered. They existed in different spectrums of sociality. While he knew that if any of his friends saw him with the geeks, they’d be laughing, he also knew that these had to be good people, since Leeteuk picked them. Heechul had had his fun playing the rich jerk for a year, it was getting old. His father’s diplomatic streak was starting to take over in him again.

“So what brings you out alone?” Eunhyuk asked. “Aren’t you usually surrounded by at least two girls?”

With a slightly dark chuckle, Heechul shook his head. “I’m not actually. I like spending time alone on the weekends.” He was really out of the house because his dad had asked him to be again, but he wasn’t going to tell them that.

Even though Heechul had told them to go ahead and eat, none of them had started in yet. Leeteuk was still fighting with his nerves so much he could hardly move.

“Do you have any plans later, Heechul?” Sora asked. “We might go see a movie.”

Heechul answered, but Leeteuk wasn’t listening because Donghae had tapped his foot under the table with his own. He looked up and Donghae asked him with a look if he was okay. Leeteuk swallowed and nodded. He motioned with his eyes to Heechul and made a nervous face. Donghae nodded and gave him a reassuring smile.

“Is it okay with you Leeteuk?” Sora asked him again, touching his shoulder to get his attention.

“Is what?” Leeteuk asked.

“If Heechul tags along to the movie?”

Swallowing his fear, Leeteuk turned his head to look at Heechul. “If you want, yeah.” He said, trying to sound indifferent even though inside he was pleading Heechul come along. Heechul looked right into his eyes and Leeteuk was sure he was blushing under the intensity as he searched his face.

“I will,” Heechul said, slowly looking away from Leeteuk.

Not long after, Heechul’s food was placed in front of him and they all started eating. The lump of anxiety in Leeteuk’s chest was growing smaller as Donghae actually got Heechul to laugh. And the more everyone laughed, the more comfortable Leeteuk felt joining in again. This day was going to make for an interesting vlog, he thought to himself.