Resting

Vlog

The texts started coming in, 45 minutes after Heechul had told them they had an hour. Their team of three had run from Leeteuk's house, keeping their emotions in check and focusing on what needed to be done. Getting home, or to safety in Leeteuk's case. They had stopped at a deserted coffee shop, one that was all too familiar to Leeteuk and Heechul. Going in the back door, they'd made sure it was zombie free before helping themselves to some waters and pastries to keep them going.

Leeteuk's emotions were deadened as he read through the texts. "Donghae's safe," he said aloud to Siwon and Heechul as they sat at their table, drinking and eating. Of the three of them, Siwon had fared the best, he was alert and calm, sitting forward in his chair as he watched Leeteuk looking at his phone. Heechul had red-rimmed eyes and looked on the verge of tears. Siwon had noticed Heechul's eyes welling up more than once as he glanced over at him. Heechul was leaning back in his chair, trying to rest his body, but every way he turned made him more uncomfortable.

"His family found out early on," Leeteuk continued. Leeteuk sniffed and covered his eyes with the back of his hand, his voice going tight. "Hyukkie wasn't that lucky. His parents are gone, they managed to save his sister." Leeteuk swallowed and got control of his voice, blinking back tears as he kept reading. "They're going with Donghae's parents out of Seoul. They don't know where they'll end up yet, but they'll keep in touch."

Siwon looked at Heechul when Leeteuk paused to pull up the next text. He had closed his eyes and while his face remained passive, tears were falling down his cheeks. Siwon took a deep breath and looked away. He couldn't think about Heechul breaking down, or he might follow along.

"Sora can't find her family. They're not in the house, not even as bodies. She's tried calling but their phones go right to voicemail. They're wanting to meet us." Leeteuk looked at Heechul, seeing his tears for the first time that night and bit his lower lip. "Heechul?" He whispered. "Where should I tell them to meet us?"

Heechul looked at him through half-lidded, extremely tired eyes. "Tell Kangin the usual coffee spot." He said, his voice cracking.

Leeteuk swallowed as he looked at his phone to send the text to both Sora and Kangin. He was starting to feel sorry for Heechul. Beneath all his anger toward his best friend, his love for him was bubbling up.

Siwon cleared his throat and finished his water. "I'm going to wait for them. Heechul?" He waited for Heechul to make eye contact. "Sleep."

Heechul sniffed and wiped his nose, sitting up with a nod.

Siwon stood up and grabbed Heechul's shoulder, squeezing tightly. Heechul patted his hand and he left them both alone at the table to stand outside.

Leeteuk wasn't tired, not physically anyway. Emotionally, he was exhausted. Thinking about Eunhyuk, Leeteuk started crying again. He covered his face with his hands and sat to the side, trying to hide it from Heechul.

Heechul watched his best friend finally able to break down and felt his own emotions surfacing. He stood slowly and pulled off his bloody jacket, revealing a black tee beneath. He still had dried blood on his hands and arms, too tired to take himself to the bathroom to clean up. Lifting his chair, he set it beside Leeteuk's and sat down again while in the same movement wrapping his arms around his friend. Heechul squeezed around Leeteuk's middle when he felt his silent tears get stronger, leaning in to rest his cheek against his shoulder. His own tears started in, thinking that if only they'd moved quicker, they could have gotten to Park eomma before the worst had happened to her.

Leeteuk shifted in his arms and Heechul sat back, looking up and blinking to stop his tears. Leeteuk smiled sadly as he wiped his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked Heechul.

Heechul looked at him blankly and shook his head, his eyes tearing up again.

Reaching for his cheek, Leeteuk held it gently, shocked at how hot Heechul was to his touch. He wiped his cheek with his thumb and pulled Heechul close, hugging him tightly as he rested his chin on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Heechul whispered, crying hard again as he squeezed Leeteuk close and tight.

"Me too. I'm sorry, Heechul." Leeteuk moved to hide his eyes against his shoulder, crying again. "So sorry."

Heechul held the back of his head and nuzzled his shoulder as they cried together.

"Heechul?" Leeteuk whispered when he calmed down, though his fists were still clenched in the back of his shirt. "I love you," he said, right in his ear.

Heechul tightened his arms around Leeteuk, sighing shakily as he moved to rest his chin on his shoulder. "I love you too." He said softly, closing his eyes that he could finally admit to him how he felt. They held tightly to each other, crying more as they clung and re-gripped for more comfortable hugs.

When Sora and Kangin got to them, Siwon led them inside and found Leeteuk and Heechul had moved to a booth seat and were holding each other, sleeping together. They decided to leave them alone and Siwon insisted on the two new friends eating and drinking.

Sora had a pack of belongings, just like Leeteuk. But Kangin hadn't wanted to go home. Sora had played mother and found something of her dad's that he could wear to keep warm. A sweater and a coat later, they had texted for Heechul's position.

Siwon got into Heechul's backpack for his map and pulled it out to map out their path home while he caught Sora and Kangin up on what had happened since they parted ways.

"Poor Teukie," Sora said softly when they were told the news. She was cuddling up against Kangin's side for warmth while Kangin helped Siwon with the map as best he could.

"That's why we're laying low and I'm letting them sleep. Heechul's been at this rescue mission for more than 24 hours, I'm surprised he didn't pass out before now."

"Wow, really?" Sora asked. "He must really love Leeteuk." The other boys stared at her and she shook her head. "Like brothers."

"So the base is here," Siwon said, changing the subject. He didn't want to think about Heechul in love. "We're here."

Kangin nodded, glad Siwon had changed the subject for his own reasons. "Quickest route is here," he said, dragging his finger along the line of a road.

"The army will have set up road blocks here," Siwon pointed out three key locations, two of which would be right in their way. "Which means for everyone's safety, we've got to get around them without alerting soldiers."

"Couldn't you just call Heechul's dad at this point?" Kangin asked.

"Yes, but Kim-ssi doesn't hold a high enough rank to get orders up quickly. By the time he told them we were safe, we'd probably be dead." Siwon said flatly. He meant of course that Leeteuk, Kangin and Sora would be dead. In situations like these, it was usually shoot to kill protocol, ask questions later. Those wouldn't be superior orders, but stressed and scared soldiers made mistakes. "Unless Heechul and I saw a soldier we knew, we'd be sitting ducks. And that's too big an 'if' to risk it." Whereas if they went right back to the base, Kim-ssi would be waiting for them and would speak for them right away.

"What about your dad?" Kangin asked Siwon.

"He doesn't know I'm out here," Siwon said, his tone matter-of-fact. "So," Siwon said, checking his watch. "I give us another half hour, forty-five before we've got to get moving again. We've been incredibly lucky so far, but the longer we wait, the more that luck's drying up."

Sora nodded and moved away from the boys to find a quiet place to lie down too. She was already feeling sleepy and if they had miles to go yet, she'd better rest while she could.

"You should sleep while you can," Siwon told Kangin.

"What about you?"

Siwon smiled. "I've been training my whole life for this. I'm fine."