Escape

Vlog

The week passed slowly for Heechul. He gathered supplies and prepared for the worst case scenario in his plan to get Leeteuk. Siwon was pleasant company and even helped him getting some of the things he needed, without knowing the truth behind why. Heechul was sure his father knew the truth, but he hadn’t said anything. Not that he really had time, as the days dragged by the sickness cases were increasing and it didn’t sound like anyone was closer to understanding the truth behind it.

Near the end of Saturday night there was an incident involving the morgue. Heechul hadn’t seen it, but Siwon had been there. The story went that suddenly there was screaming from one of the doctors in the room and a minor panic happened with security, but there wasn’t anything that Siwon had actually seen from within the room, and no one was talking about it. Heechul hadn’t wasted time speculating with Siwon over what could have happened, but the news solidified the fact that he had to get to Leeteuk sooner than later.

Sunday ticked past and Heechul counted down the minutes to go time. Monday night was the time of the dance that everyone wanted to go to, and if something was going to happen, what better place than a room full of teenagers, most of which had been sick recently. Heechul didn’t want to let his fear take over, so he stopped himself thinking about it.

Having to leave on foot was going to take him the better part of a day to get to Leeteuk. He slid the map with his route plotted into his backpack. As soon as he got into a town he’d catch as many busses as he could to get to his friend faster.

Siwon hadn’t bothered him since earlier that afternoon. Heechul took it as a warning that his father was planning on stopping him, through Siwon. As he tucked his backpack securely on his shoulders, he made sure to check his blind spots before leaving their home on the base. It was raining, but Heechul welcomed it, it’d be harder for the guards to hear him clipping through the fence and running out.

Sneaking past the residential district of the base, Heechul timed the cameras on the main buildings. Avoiding their view, Heechul broke into a free run to the fence. He checked his blind spots again to make sure no one had followed him and when it looked safe enough, Heechul wasted no time in clipping out a section of fence. He made it big enough that he could pull it back and crawl through, but not big enough to let anything in, or be noticed to untrained eyes. On the next perimeter walk, the soldiers would probably notice his cutting, or maybe the rain would shield his escape completely. Either way, Heechul was out and starting his walk in the cold, rain spattered darkness.

No one on the base had left guns lying around, so Heechul hadn’t been able to get one, what he had found was a handheld fire axe and just knowing it was within close reach on his backpack, gave him the courage to walk through the unknown woods surrounding the base. He wasn’t old enough to drive, not that he couldn’t, but taking a car would attract too much attention anyway. Continuing his slog through the wet undergrowth, Heechul slowly started to wear out and by the time he reached his first checkpoint town, his legs were threatening to buckle.

From the barrier of the woods, Heechul checked inside the nearby shops to make sure there wasn’t anyone from the base inside. He wasn’t that far away yet and the possibility of being captured and taken back home was waking up his senses. Heart pounding, Heechul seized his moment and stepped out of the woods toward the nearest diner.

The restaurant was a small hole in the wall. There was a long counter at the front with stools set up and booths along the wall. Heechul took a booth away from the window and near the back so he could see who came in. He ordered something to get him warm again. Eating his bokeumbap and drinking his coffee slowly, Heechul allowed himself a rest but very little relaxation. He had to continue on soon.

He used cash to pay so his father couldn’t track his movements through credit purchases. Asking the hostess where and when the next bus was, Heechul set out that direction, making sure to get off the main road as soon as possible.

Checking his watch on his walk, the first bus out wouldn’t be for another hour. He’d been walking most of the night and the rain had finally let up a few hours back. The first hint of morning was brightening up the sky, but it was an hour or two still before sunrise. Heechul was too cold. His wet clothes weren’t helping his movement any, but he didn’t bring a change of them, in hindsight that was probably not the brightest idea, especially since he had no umbrella either. He checked his pack to make sure the essentials within were still dry. Just as he had the backpack secured, there was a snap of a stick behind him.

Heechul grabbed the fire axe off his pack and swung it in his hand, getting a good grip as he scanned the darkness for movement. Whether it was animal, homeless person, military personnel or just a giant monster, Heechul was prepared to protect himself. He stood in still silence a moment more before jumping for the nearest tree and hiding with his back to it. There were no other shuffling sounds in the darkness besides his own that ruled out animal, leaving the noise either human or unknown.

Catching his breath against the tree, Heechul peeked out around it quick enough to see a dark shape in the distance. His heart thundered against his chest. The figure had been big and man shaped, but Heechul didn’t dare peek again for a better look. He held his axe close to his chest and listened as finally there were other sounds of movement, sounds that were steadily getting closer.

Not wanting to take the chance for noises to shrug out of his backpack, Heechul planned his attack thinking of the counterweight he’d have behind him. As the noises of the figure walking neared his tree, Heechul jumped out from behind it with his axe held high. The figure countered, caught his wrist and slid his hand over Heechul’s, quickly disarming him. The light was enough now that Heechul could see Siwon clearly.

“Give it back.” Heechul demanded, holding out his hand for his axe.

“That was the worst attack I’ve ever seen from you,” Siwon almost laughed as he handed back the weapon, handle first.

“Shut up.”

Siwon shrugged. “You shouldn’t have left the base.”

“I have things to do that are more important than sitting around wasting my time.”

Siwon laughed. “I didn’t mean tonight, I meant when you were a kid. You shouldn’t have left the base and tried to be normal, because now you’re only a half good soldier and not quite normal.”

Heechul stared at Siwon. “So you’re not here to take me back?”

“Believe it or not, I’m here to help you out, at your dad’s request.”

Heechul could have cried as that sunk in. Letting the exhaustion from walking all night take over, Heechul sunk to the ground, using the tree as a backrest, with his legs sprawled out in front of him. He closed his eyes and started to chuckle.

“Oh God, Heechul’s gone insane.” Siwon said as he stood over him, watching his friend collapse into near maniacal laughing.

“That ,” Heechul said as he finally calmed down. He’d laughed so hard tears had streamed down his cheeks and he wiped them away with a chuckled sigh. “Make me leave, then send me a bodyguard when I leave the base. He should have just left me home.” He was smiling as he looked up at Siwon.

“Bodyguard?” Siwon questioned, folding his arms over his chest. “More like savior.” He teased.

Heechul got up and brushed the legs of his pants free from leaves and wet twigs. “Yeah, whatever.” Heechul was too tired now to argue much. Having someone else with him, someone sent by the one man who’d possibly bring him back, comforted Heechul and he dropped his guard. Shivering, he set his axe in his belt and checked his watch for the compass on it. “Ready to keep going then?” Heechul asked. “The first bus comes soon, from the next town.”

Siwon was worried about Heechul. He hadn’t prepared for the weather and it was wearing him down. If things were bad in Seoul, he wouldn’t be in any shape to protect himself, let alone the friend Siwon knew he was after. But Siwon knew Heechul well enough to know he wouldn’t give up till the mission was complete and he put on a smile, nodding. “Let’s go.”