Communications

The Secrets of the Mind

 

News that Minseok came back and that Kyungjin was back to normal spread like wildfire.

It was almost as if the whole town let out a sigh of relief.

They never knew how much Minseok had already became that important to the community.

And more importantly, they hated feeling like they let him down.

He had asked all of them to help him, and no one was able to do a thing except wait and hope.

And if Minseok was angry or disappointed him them, he never displayed it.

But regardless of that, almost everyone in the town had come to visit them at the hospital.

Even though Kyungjin had regained herself, the doctor was still cautious and forbade her from leaving until he deemed her healthy enough.

Kyungjin, although a bit disappointed, was fine with it.

Because without fail, Minseok was there.

He hardly left her side unless it was to go back home or finish some business up.

But besides that, he was always there.

But the whole town was in celebration. People would come in with food, presents, and flowers filling her room with more things than necessary.

But Kyungjin only laughed and thanked them all, striking up a conversation just how she would before.

As if nothing had ever happened even though both sides knew deep in their hearts that it hadn’t.

And Minseok would sit patiently at the side, glancing over every once in a while.

He looked the same, but his aura was different.

More relaxed, more calm, more trusting.

And it didn't go unnoticed.

Every visitor that came to see Kyungjin also saw Minseok.

And while he still didn't talk much, he acknowledged each and every one of them.

And the fact that he was always there, well, people assumed that there was really only one reason.

 

"So is it official?"

Minseok looked up from his food to stare blankly at Jongin. He knew what Jongin was referring to but decided not to answer.

"It pretty much is. If that isn't true, then I don't what is," Sehun casually mumbled, rolling his eyes.

Minseok still refrained from saying anything.

"You can't hide this from us, Minseok," Jongin complained. "We're practically friends."

Minseok raised a brow at that statement. "Are we really?"

Jongin gasped dramatically, "I'm hurt, Minseok. I really am."

Minseok snorted softly as Sehun rolled his eyes.

"If you keep acting like this, I might question our friendship," Sehun muttered to Jongin.

Jongin ignored smoothly and focused his attention onto Minseok.

"But really, the whole town is murmuring about it. If you don't provide any details, who knows what some bored people might do?"

"Are you referring to yourself?" Sehun asked.

Jongin only smiled at his friend and flicked water onto his face causing Sehun to flinch slightly.

Minseok, unperturbed by their antics, sat there thinking.

After he came back, Jongin barged into his house with Sehun in tow, albeit unwillingly. He then demanded for him to follow him, and they ended up eating lunch together.

And for some odd reason, it became a regular occurrence.

Although Jongin had to be the one to initiate, Minseok never refused his offers.

He would only silently allow himself be pulled along.

And even if he didn't say anything, he did enjoy the odd meetings.

"Well?"

Minseok was shaken out of his thoughts to look at Jongin.

"Sorry?"

Sehun rolled his eyes. "Is it official? Have you guys finally professed your love to each other?"

Minseok blinked at them and quirked his mouth into half a smile. "Yes and no. I told her. That I loved her. And she told me the same."

“And?” Jongin pushed.

“And that’s it,” Minseok responded.

"That’s it? What exactly are you waiting for?" Sehun shouted, bringing his plastic cup harshly onto the table with a bang.

Jongin looked a little shocked, but Minseok paid no mind.

"It's not that easy. You, of all people, should know that."

With that, Sehun turned quiet and looked away.

“Wait,” Jongin interrupted. “What are you guys talking about?” He threw his hands in the air. “Why is it that I feel so left out all of a sudden.”

The other two males didn’t say anything back.

An awkward silence filled the air despite the café being noisy from their surroundings.

Sehun was the one to first break the tension.

“Minseok, the idiot he is, is saying that even though they professed their undying love for each other, has no plans to do anything more. Or that is what he makes it seem like.”

“Wait, what?” Jongin spluttered, whipping his head towards Minseok. “Why?”

Minseok looked down at his coffee as it rippled from the vibrations from the table.

“We’re not ready yet. We both have things we need to take care of ourselves. Even though I might have, Kyungjin still has to come to face certain things herself.”

The quietness revived, settling upon them like fog.

“I’m leaving.”

Minseok looked up at Sehun in surprise.

Sehun wasn’t looking at him but out the window. “Like leaving the town.”

“Wait, Sehun,” Jongin interrupted. “Should be really be saying this now?”

The boy scoffed. “I have to. Minseok deserves to know.”

He continued, “I only was planning on returning for a while. I never expected to stay as long as I did.” The corner of Sehun’s lips quirked up quickly and disappeared as quickly as it appeared. “I wonder who was the cause of that?”

“You’re implying that person is me,” Minseok established.

Sehun let out a curt laugh. “As you know, I wanted to see what was going on Kyungjin and the person who apparently changed her. Maybe reconnect, which I did. And I thank you once again for that.” His gaze fell back onto Minseok. “And Kyungjin is still my very good friend. And I still love her. In friendly terms, mind you. I guess I wanted to make sure everything was all right before I left. That she was okay again.”

Minseok blinked, understanding his thoughts. “But then I left.”

Sehun snorted. “I was going to leave when you came back, but now I see that can’t just yet. Who would have thought that in order for everything to be ok, you two had to be happy in love? Maybe I should become a full time cupid and bring couples together all around the world.”

“Oh, god no,” Jongin groaned. “I fear the world would burn up if you did that. You would bring hate instead of love.”

Sehun glared at Jongin before turning to Minseok. “So, Minseok. How are you going to take responsibility? I can’t leave until you and Kyungjin are a happy couple.”

Minseok gazed solemnly at Sehun before letting out a small smile.

 “That is the question, isn’t it?”

 

The second group of people he saw were people he was slightly interested in seeing again. He had wondered how they were doing while he was gone.

He was slightly surprised to see that one of them looked slightly less enthusiastic than before. Which was saying something because Kyungsoo was always enthusiastic.

The male grabbed his hands, shaking them up and down with great gusto.

“Thank the heavens and earth you are back. Like seriously. Thank you. I couldn’t deal with the stress going on.” Kyungsoo looked up to the ceiling. “This is the best day of my life.”

“I would have thought that would be the day you and Lina started going out.”

Kyungsoo released Minseok’s hands abruptly and glanced at the person who spoke. “It was.”

“But you just said today was.”

“No! I just… I’m just happy see him. It was just an expression. Lina is the best thing that happened to me. You know what I mean, Yixing,” Kyungsoo murmured timidly.

The male raised an eyebrow. “Do I? Because it seems like my sister isn’t good enough for you anymore.”

“Play nice, brother,” Lina said softly, patting her brother on the arm from where they were sitting.

She looked up at Minseok. “But it is very good to see you again, Minseok.”

Minseok knew that Lina was extremely sincere with her words, and it was comforting to say at the least.

“How are you guys?” Minseok asked.

“Pretty good,” Lina answered with a smile. “Isn’t that right?”

Yixing and Kyungsoo nodded silently.

Minseok blinked once and turned his attention onto Lina.

“Are they okay?” he whispered to her.

She widened her eyes in surprise before smiling. “And what makes you think otherwise?”

Minseok straightened up and shrugged. “Because Kyungsoo isn’t so… easily irritable as much anymore.”

Kyungsoo flinched at his words, looking away, which surprised Minseok. Because he thought he would immediately retaliate.

“See?”

Minseok looked Yixing who looked at Kyungsoo judgingly.

“This behavior of yours is not something you should be promoting. If you are going to be going out with my sister, you need to be the best for her. You shouldn’t get so angry at people, nor should you should retaliate in such a childish manner. Do you understand?”

“You told me before, Yixing,” Kyungsoo muttered.

“What did you say?”

Kyungsoo stood a little straighter. “Nothing. And I do understand. Completely. I won’t let you or Lina down.”

“Kyungsoo, don’t listen to my brother. I love you the way you are.”

Kyungsoo looked at his girlfriend with teary eyes. He reached out to her. “Lina!” he cried out. “You’re the only one who understands me.”

They reached in for a loving hug until Yixing promptly cleared his throat rather loudly.

They immediately pulled away as Yixing gave an indescribable look to Kyungsoo.

“But you, Minseok.”

Minseok was slightly startled by Yixing’s sudden interest in him but didn’t let it show on his face.

Yixing narrowed his eyes at him. “Why did you leave Kyungjin all alone? I would have expected better out of you.”

Minseok felt it come off waves.

Disappointment. Sadness.

But Minseok wasn’t surprised to feel it nor did he not understand where he was coming from.

He smiled softly. “Yes, it was wrong of me, but it was something I needed to do. For both me and her.”

Yixing pursed his lips in dissatisfaction but didn’t push further into his vague answer.

“I suppose that’s fine.”

Minseok chuckled softly. “Please trust me, Yixing. I believe we both know that I wouldn’t hurt Kyungjin unless it was inevitable.”

Yixing blinked until a small smile crept onto his lips. “I always found a kindred spirit with you Minseok despite not talking to each other much.”

“And I share that same sentiment.”

Kyungsoo, who was watching the two talk, grumbled. He inched closer to Minseok and muttered under his breath so that only Minseok could hear.

“You don’t have to act all buddy-buddy in front of him. He’s the devil’s incarnate. I was wrong. Kyungjin isn’t the worst. He is.”

Yixing, who didn’t look like he was paying attention to them, suddenly looked up and smiled.

“Oh, Kyungsoo. You don’t think I heard what you said? Devil’s incarnate, was it?”

Kyungsoo looked at him in horror and cleared his throat.

“Um, you’re imagining things. I got to go! Busy, you know? At the store.” He rushed over to Lina and gave her a peck on the cheek. “I’ll see you later.” He looked at her brother and nodded. “Good-bye, Yixing.”

And with that, Kyungsoo rushed out the door and disappeared from their sight.

They watched his whirlwind departure until Minseok smiled.

He looked at Yixing. “I know you don’t hate him.”

Yixing snorted and laughed heartily. “He makes it so easy; it’s hilarious. The boy is too naïve. If I really did bully him like that, Lina would kill me. And I wouldn’t want to make her angry, if I were you.”

“Is that so?” Minseok murmured, looking at Lina.

Lina did not respond, only letting a serene smile grace her lips.

 


A/N: A lighter chapter.

We’re nearing the end! I can see it end in four or five chapters.

Thanks for reading and coming along for the ride!