Home

The Secrets of the Mind

 

Minseok felt refreshed.

It was an odd feeling. Something that he never thought he would like.

Coming to terms with his past, he realized how much he accepted himself now. How much the past affected him now.

And how much he really needed it.

He knew he would never be able to change it, but he could use it to shape his present and future.

But ultimately, there was only one thing on his mind.

And he felt impatient.

It was something of a mixture of anxiousness and a tinge of excitement and yearning.

But it wasn’t such a bad feeling.

Because he knew why he was feeling this way.

He knew he left in an odd way, and he felt a little regretful about it.

Especially how he didn’t properly tell her about his departure.

But Minseok had hope.

Something that he didn’t think he would do again.

He was hoping that she would understand.

But something inside him made him feel a little worried.

Despite her being so positive and energetic, he knew that there was a hidden fragility behind it.

How she used the positiveness as a front that she began to use it a normal.

But he wondered, what would happen if it was stripped off her so suddenly.

He felt the pit of his stomach fall and his insides churn.

And he never felt such an urge to go home before now.

 

There was a soft knock at the door.

So soft that one might think it was just his or her imagination.

Which is exactly what Minseok's mother thought.

But something inside her told her that it wasn't just that.

So she slowly pulled herself off the chair to the door to open it.

And once she did, the first thing she saw was the dark night, illuminated by the small lights of the houses nearby and the shimmering stars and moon.

But that wasn't just it.

Because she broke down into tears as she stared at the person before her.

"Minseok," she managed to gasp out through sobs.

He gave a small smile. Small, yet full of comfort.

He took one step forward and then another until he wrapped his arms around his mother.

"I'm home," he whispered into her ear.

And that just made her sob just a little bit harder.

 

Minseok took a deep breath that traveled through his bones and out his body.

The warm sun basking him in sunlight and the cool breeze rustling his hair.

He felt something that he just didn't know how to explain.

Something akin to nervousness, relief, but mostly just happiness.

He was back.

And it was great.

But there was only one thing one his mind.

Or rather someone.

"You ing bastard."

Minseok looked up to see an extremely angry Kim Jongdae.

"Hello, Jongdae. It's been a while."

"Don't give me that ," he growled as he stalked up to him. He pulled on front of Minseok's shirt, bringing him closer to his face.

"How dare you do that. Just...just...."

"Leave?" Minseok kindly supplied.

"Yes!" he shouted. "Just leave! Leave this town! Leave Kyungjin!"

He let go and sighed, ruffling his own hair.

"Is what I would like to say."

Minseok blinked at him and smiled softly, knowingly.

Jongdae let out another sigh. "That's everything I would like to say if you were some unforgivable bastard who didn't have any emotions or any reason to do what you did."

He paused and sighed again. "But you're not. Not at all." He looked up at Minseok. "I'm sorry, Minseok," he let out in a small almost inaudible voice. "I'm so so sorry. I wasn't able to do it even though I promised you."

Minseok stared at him, letting all the unspoken words tell him everything he needed to know.

He took one last look at Jongdae and ran out the door.

 

He never ran so fast before his life.

He never felt such an urgency before in his life.

His feet padded the ground softly but swiftly.

The background blurred around him, his only focus was what was in front of him.

Noises were muffled in his ears except for one voice.

His own voice was like a painful reminder.

“I knew this would happen.”

But did he really?

He shook his head, feeling the wind assist him oh so gently like a gentle pat on the back.

Even if he did, he knew what he had to do.

Perhaps he was wrong in how he left, but he didn’t plan on letting his mistakes cause any more damage than it already did.

Because now, he could do something about it.

He knew exactly what he wanted to do.

 

He knocked once and then once more for good measure before opening the door.

The door softly opened, but the girl inside didn't even move to look, only blankly staring at the window while leaning against the pillows.

Minseok felt his heart ache at the sight.

No longer was the girl he knew as Kyungjin there, but instead a past reminder of her. An empty shell.

He softly padded his way towards her until he was standing right in front of her. He pulled a nearby chair so that when he sat down, he was eye-level with her.

"Kyungjin," he softly said.

She blinked as if she had heard him, but made no response. She continued to stare, but through him rather than at him.

Minseok smiled sadly and gently took her hands so that they were resting with his.

"Kyungjin," he whispered again, rubbing her hands softly with his thumbs. "Kyungjin, I'm back."

There was still no response from her.

Minseok chuckled bitterly; she reminded him of his past self. The days before he stepped into this town. Before he ever met Kyungjin.

Minseok looked at her as he slowly brought their foreheads together, gently touching each other. "Kyungjin," he said again, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. But this time I won't be going anywhere. I'm home."

He thought he saw her eyes flutter briefly, and he smiled.

He pulled away and cupped her face tenderly. She was warm at the touch, and Minseok briefly enjoyed the moment.

He took a deep breath and gave her a smile.

The most gentle, heart-warming smile that anybody would ever see on him.

"Kyungjin," he murmured, "Kyungjin, I love you."

And if as a spell broke, tears began to stream down Kyungjin's face.

She blinked once and then again as her eyes focused on the male in front of her.

"Min-Minseok?" she gasped out, as if she couldn't believe the sight before her.

"Minseok," she started again. "Oh, Minseok. I tried; I tried so hard. I really do trust you, but I don't...I couldn't..."

She let some sobs out as Minseok soothingly brushed them off her cheeks. She couldn't stop, giving out shaky breaths.

Minseok smiled sadly at her and leaned in, letting his lips touch her.

Kyungjin froze at the tender kiss, but she smiled into it, tears still dropping away.

They pulled away, and they knocked their heads together softly and laughed.

And with no words needed, they pulled in for another kiss.

"Minseok," she softly cried out. "Minseok, it's really not a dream. You're really here."

"I'm back," he said as he kissed her forehead.

She laughed softly and looked him in the eyes. "Minseok, I love you. So much that it hurts. So much that I don’t know how I’ll live another day without you."

He smiled gently, pressing another kiss on her forehead. “I know,” he breathily laughed out. “And I don’t plan on going anywhere else. Because I love you so much that it hurts me too.”

And with that, they pressed their foreheads together and laughed.

 


A/N:

A short chapter but hopefully enough to satisfy you all.

I wrote this chapter eons ago, so I am happy to finally share it with all of you.

Thank you for reading and giving this story love.

I appreciate you all.