Resolve

The Secrets of the Mind

With Minseok spending one day out of the week with Kyungjin, it’s a wonder what he did on all the other days.

Since he would never step out of the house, not even mentioning his room.

But today was different.

Minseok thought he should get some fresh air with his new revelations.

And yet, he had no idea on where to go or what to do.

It was as if he was completely helpless on what to do in the outside world without Kyungjin.

And he didn’t exactly like the feeling.

So he resorted on what he usually did.

People watching.

Parking himself on a small table with a parasol situated above it and frozen yogurt in a cup in one of his hands, he casually observed the people around him.

And all he saw was everyday occurrences.

Neighbors chatting with each other, young people walking their pets, kids running around, and even more casual normal things he would normally never pay attention to.

It was such a stark difference to what he was used to in the city where everyone seemed to have another motive. A deeper darker one.  

But here, everyone seemed to move according whatever they thought. Just simply trying to get through the day.

Minseok honestly didn’t know how to feel. Suddenly being into this sort of environment was a bit disorienting for him. Even in the beginning when he first moved into town, he was suspicious of their “normal” behavior. But with Kyungjin’s help, he realized that he was being too distrustful. It was normal to have those sorts of bad intentions and thoughts.

It was normal.

It was what made everyone human.

It was what made him human.

Because he realized that he had those thoughts he hated.

Jealously, dark hatred.

Yet, he never realized it from the beginning.

But thanks to Kyungjin and Sehun, he now finally did.

And all because he liked Kyungjin.

A part of him didn’t like it.

Why did something so good like love lead something so horrible such as jealously?

Minseok didn’t like that.

He felt like it went against everything he believed in.

He was in no means the person who he believed was good. In fact, Minseok always thought that he was the exact opposite of what he hoped people could be. He was what he hated. He was in a small bundle, a hypocrite.

And even though he liked Kyungjin, it was something that was ingrained in him for a very long time.

Therefore, he had come up with a solution after days of thinking about it. But even he was hesitating over his decision.

 

 

“Oh. Minseok.”

Minseok looked up to see Jongin and Sehun together.

Jongin who had just spoken, lifted a hand in greeting.

“What are you doing here?”

Sehun was silently drinking a smoothie in his hand, but his eyes were also trained on Minseok.

Minseok blinked at them before turning away to look at the street he was observing before.

“People watching.”

“Oh,” Jongin replied. “I never thought the people here were that interesting enough to constantly observe. But then again, if you have enough creativity, you could probably make up some ridiculous story.” He paused, glancing at Sehun and Minseok. “Not that I’ve done that before.”

“Nobody said anything, man,” Sehun responded.

Jongin merely rolled his eyes at his friend.

Sehun looked at Minseok, almost to the point of blatantly staring at him.

But Minseok didn’t waver and calmly looked back at him, waiting for him to say whatever he wanted to say.

Jongin, on the other hand, knew that he shouldn’t say anything and plopped down onto the nearby chair watching them.

“Are you okay?”

Minseok blinked at Sehun. “What do you mean?”

Sehun frowned. “I mean what I say. I know you’re not stupid. So answer the damn question.”

Minseok let out a soft chuckle before looking at Sehun tiredly. “I’ve been thinking about certain things,” he revealed.

Sehun raised an eyebrow. “Certain things?” he mimicked.

Minseok silently nodded.

Sehun waited for more detailed explanation, but when he realized that he would not be getting one, he groaned and ruffled his hair in exasperation.

“This is why I hate people like you,” he complained.

Jongin shot him a glare which the other caught.

“I mean dislike,” Sehun corrected.

Minseok let out a stuffed laugh.

Sehun stared at Minseok before continuing. “Like I said. I dislike people like you because all you do is give ing vague answers and expect the world to understand.”

“Is that so?” Minseok countered.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “See? It’s like you’re getting all philosophical on us. Frankly it’s annoying.”

Minseok mulled over his words before speaking. “Well then. I guess I should give you straight answer?”

Sehun was on the verge on punching Minseok from complete frustration.

“Seriously?” he grumbled.

Jongin, who had been quiet throughout most of the conversation, finally let out the laughter he had been trying to hold back. After laughing his fill, he wiped his eye that was becoming moist and choked out, “Yes, do tell.”

“I wanted to thank you.”

That threw both Sehun and Jongin off, both staring with wide eyes at Minseok.

“Me?” Sehun asked out in disbelief.

Him?” Jongin cried out in a sort of disgust.

Minseok nodded silently. He almost felt amused at the fact on how surprised they were.

Almost.

“Why the hell would you thank this guy? He’s the last person anyone should thank! He’s a grumpy old man who can’t even be nice without his ego rearing its head!” Jongin ranted.

“Oy,” Sehun growled back, biting on his straw.

“Seriously, Minseok. I would think you would be the last person to thank him!”

“Shut the hell up, Jongin,” Sehun grunted at him. “And let the man speak.”

“I wanted to thank you because you made me realize some things. Things that I would have never admitted to myself in my whole lifetime. So, thank you.”

Sehun considered his words. “Oh, I know. It’s what I said to you last time, isn’t it?”

“What are you talking about?” Jongin interrupted.

Minseok nodded.

Sehun grinned. “I knew it!” He stared at Minseok and laughed. “Seriously? That’s why you want to thank me? That was nothing! That was just something that came out of my mouth. I didn’t mean for it do mean anything, really.”

“I know. But the fact that it did will not change.”

Sehun nodded silently.

Jongin fumed on the side. “Seriously. Guys, what are you talking about? It’s not very pleasant to not know what everyone else is talking about!”

Sehun ignored his friend and sat next to Minseok. After a second’s hesitation, he put an arm around him and grinned. “I like you, man. You’re rough around the edges, but eh. Who isn’t? You might be unsociable as , but you’re alright. You’re alright.”

Minseok raised an eyebrow unenthusiastically. “I appreciate the sentiment,” he said with a chuckle.

Sehun jumped up. “Well, I leave it to you. You look like you’re contemplating serious . Like what is life and crap. Sorry, but not interested. But stay good, you hear?”

Minseok nodded as Sehun turned away to leave.

Jongin stood there, gawking at the scene. “Seriously? We’re going to accept that Sehun finally made amends with Minseok, and no one is going to say anything?”

Jongin made some exaggerated waving gestures with his hands. “Well, I’m not! What the hell was that guys?”

“Brothers bonding,” Sehun nodded majestically as he could.

“Screw you, Sehun,” Jongin growled.

Minseok shook his head. “If Sehun wants to, he can tell you what happened.”

Jongin made a face of disgust and side-eyed Sehun.

And Sehun could not keep the smile off his face.

“Ohhhh? Does wittle Jongin want to know what happened?” he mocked in a baby voice.

“Don’t make me hurt you, Sehun,” Jongin threatened. “We both know I would do it.”

Sehun tsked. “Geez, be like that, will you? No ing fun at all.”

Jongin punched him.

“Hey!” he exclaimed. “What the hell?”

Jongin narrowed his eyes and growled, “You got five ing seconds.”

Sehun’s eyes widened and then he screamed, taking off like his life depended on it.

And it probably did because Jongin took off after him screaming, “I’m going to end your life, you motherer.”

But before he left, he waved good-bye to Minseok and added, “Stay well, Minseok. You’re a good person.”

Minseok watched the scene with amusement. He found the two friend’s antics quite funny. Two people who hated on each other, yet still remained friends even after all of that.

There were more different kinds of people in this world than he thought.

It was funny how Minseok was only realizing this now.

  

 

 

“What’s with you?”

Minseok looked up to see Kyungsoo casually next to him. He was really meeting almost everyone today.

“Hello, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo blinked at him and scowled. “Since when did you ever greet anyone? Are you sane?”

“Yes, I believe so. I just needed some fresh air.”

Kyungsoo took a step back. “Right. I’m officially creeped out. You have never ever said so many words to me before.”

“Kyungsoo!”

The two boys looked over the new feminine voice which belonged to one Zhang Lina.

She caught sight of Minseok and smiled brightly. “Hello, Minseok.”

“Hello, Lina.”

Lina smiled wider, surprised that Minseok had voiced his greetings. And as well as a slight smile.

Minseok looked around. “Where’s Yixing?”

“My brother’s at home. He’s resting,” Lina answered with a smile.

Minseok blinked at them. “So, it’s just the two of you?”

She nodded brightly, the smile on her face never faltering.

Minseok turned his attention to Kyungsoo who seemed to know what Minseok was thinking at this moment. He widened his eyes significantly, turning his head away to avoid Minseok’s eyes.

“Then is this a date?”

Kyungsoo swung his head abruptly to stare at Minseok while Lina looked at him confusedly with a tilt of her head.

“A date?” she repeated. “You mean like going out and having lunch? Because that’s we’re doing.”

Kyungsoo gave Minseok a look that screamed many things, one of them prominently telling him to shut up.

Minseok almost smiled. It was obvious that Kyungsoo liked Lina immensely, but she was naively oblivious of his feelings. But Minseok knew better. He understood something more.

“I mean romantically,” he explained, the smile breaking on to his face.

Lina looked at him initial shock before turning away and blushing. “N-no. We’re not like that.”

Kyungsoo looked like he wanted to strangle Minseok and bury him a thousand feet underground.

Minseok ignored Kyungsoo’s murderous expression and continued prodding Lina. He leaned towards her slightly and sly smile on his face. “Ah, but you don’t really think that, do you? You been imagining this as a ‘romantic’ date this whole time, haven’t you?”

Lina looked like she swallowed nails as her eyes flickered back and forth and a bright pink flush filled her cheeks.

Kyungsoo whipped his head towards Lina so fast that Minseok thought he was going to get whiplash. “Is that true?” he whispered.

If it seemed that it was physically impossible to get redder, Lina proved that wrong when her ears began to redden. “W-well…” she stuttered.

Kyungsoo glanced at Minseok who stared back and gestured to Lina with a flick of his head as if he was encouraging him to hurry up and man up.

Kyungsoo took a deep breath. “Lina.”

She glanced at him before looking away, unable to look him directly in his eyes. “Yes?” she murmured softly.

Kyungsoo faltered for a second, his bravado disappearing by the second. “I guess what I want to say is that you are the prettiest girl that I met and you’re also extremely nice and you always find the good in people. Like me and Kyungjin. Espcially Kyungjin. How can you find any good in that girl. But I like that about you. Finding the good in people, I mean. Not liking Kyungjin. God, I’m rambling. What I’m trying to say…”

“I like you too, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo’s mouth hung open, as he opened and shut it in a repeated fashion. “I…er…what?”

“I like you too,” Lina repeated with a laugh.

Kyungsoo smiled back. “I like you,” he replied with a grin.

Minseok watched them with a small smile. “How backwards,” he murmured.

They turned to look at him, remembering that he was still there.

He stared at Minseok as if he was trying to understand him.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “Thanks.”

Minseok blinked at him. “I did nothing.”

“Not true!” Lina argued. “If you didn’t probe us further, we wouldn’t realize that we had mutual feelings.”

Minseok shook his head. “It was obvious that Kyungsoo liked you. Even your brother knew.” He chuckled when Kyungsoo threw him a dirty look. “And you were simply oblivious to that fact. But what everyone didn’t know is that you liked him too.”

“How did you know, by the way?” Kyungsoo asked curiously.

Minseok shrugged. “I just did.” It was going to be his little secret that he had heard Lina’s thoughts.

Kyungsoo frowned, thinking deeply. “You’ve changed. A lot. It’s a little unnerving, to be honest.”

“I know,” Minseok replied. “It’s because I’m smiling now isn’t it? Funny how smiling scares people now.”

Kyungsoo snorted, “Only because it’s you.”

“Kyungsoo!” Lina scolded, elbowing him.

“What?” Kyungsoo argued. “It’s true.” He looked back at Minseok. “What changed?”

Minseok blinked at him before letting out a wry smile as he stared at the floor. “I’m like you.”

“You’re like me?”

Minseok turned his gaze towards them. “I like someone.”

The couple’s eyes both widened simultaneously. “What?” they cried at the same time.

Kyungsoo’s forehead furrowed with thought. “Wait. Don’t tell me it’s…” he exclaimed, pointing at Minseok. “Kyungjin?” he finished, whispering her name as if it was forbidden.

“Really?” Lina squealed with delight.

Minseok nodded slowly.

The drastic contrast between the two’s reaction was entertaining to say the least. 

Kyungsoo shook his head as if he was trying to get rid of bad memories. “Although I question your taste in women,” he finally said, clasping a hand on Minseok’s shoulder, “I wish you luck.”

Lina, on the other hand, couldn’t stop the smile of her face from growing.

“Keep this a secret from her,” Minseok requested.

“What? Why?” Lina asked, disappointment evident in her voice.

He shook his head. “Just, please.”

Lina reluctantly nodded her head while Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

“You got it. I wouldn’t want her to get big-headed or anything,” he answered with a scoff.

“Thanks,” Minseok said softly. There was a moment of silence until he shook his heahd. “Go on,” he told them. “Go on a real date.”

Kyungsoo looked at Lina and then back at Minseok. He stealthily slipped his hand into Lina’s before briefly glancing at the other boy. “I may not like Kyungjin a whole lot, but I do like you. I hope everything works out well for you.”

Lina smiled at him. “I do too. Thanks for helping us.” She looked at Kyungsoo and blushed since holding hands was a bit extreme for her heart.

Minsoeok waved them off as he slid back into the chair.

He ruffled his hair with his hand and sighed. He was happy for them. Honestly.

Their feelings for each other were so pure that he couldn’t hate on those feelings or them.

He hated to see a couple like them miss their opportunity because of unspoken feelings. And he was slightly glad that he made use of his ability.

Because it was his actions that defined him, wasn’t it?

But with that thought, it reminded him of his relationship with Kyungjin.

And the whole internal turmoil residing in his mind had started again.

He didn’t know what to do. He liked Kyungjin, but he hesitated on telling his feelings to her.

Because above all, he was realistic person and both of them knew of the impending future.

That one of them might not make it.

And if they should take that risk for a moment of happiness for a lifetime long of sadness, he wasn’t sure if he would be able to take it.

He had a long history of being by himself and that moment when he isn’t, there is the looming presence of it happening again.

But that wasn’t the main reason.

In fact, that was the least of his worries.

There was another reason why Minseok and thought it was better not being together.

It was the issue of himself.

He knew that Kyungjin wouldn’t mind, and even at the fact that she liked him the way he was now.

But for some reason, Minseok wasn’t able to forgive himself.

He was the exact person he hated.

He wasn’t going to deny that.

And being the person he was, he didn’t want Kyungjin to be with someone like that. Someone like himself.

Minseok knew that he had something horrible inside him.

Because he cared for nothing about the world, it had made him twisted inside. But he was able to keep it check.

But now that more and more people entered his life, it was inevitable that those ugly thoughts would show itself.

And that is why he decided not to tell Kyungjin.

That he liked her.

At least not yet.

Because first he needed to like himself.

Because above all, he realized that he was human.

Feelings like these made him human.

Not a monster.

Human.

He needed to remember what it was like being human.

It was then that he decided to start his own path to self-redemption.

 

 

“Hey, Minseok. Whatcha doing?”

Minseok looked up for the third time today. He didn’t realize it before, but there were plenty of people here who cared for him, or at least considered him as someone worth talking to.

Minseok smiled sadly at the young male next to him, who in return gave him an odd look.

“What’s with that look?”

“I have a favor to ask you, Jongdae. Will you listen?”

Jongdae gaped at him, his expression evident of pure confusion.

“Um. Sure? Since when did you ask people for favors?”

“Please, Jongdae.”

Jongdae frowned. He could tell that Minseok was being serious, and slowly nodded his head in agreement.

He listened to what Minseok had to say, and he had mixed feelings.

“Are you sure this is what you want? Jongdae asked hesitantly.

Minseok nodded. “I’m sure.”

“Kyungjin isn’t going to be happy, you know that right?”

“I do.”

“You’re willing to risk that?”

“I am. Kyungjin might be special to me, but I need to love myself before I love someone else.”

That’s when Jongdae felt this overwhelming sense of sadness.

He honestly was a realistically thinking person. He might love Kyungjin with all his heart, but he honestly always thought a relationship between Minseok and her would be hopeless.

But as he stood there listening to Minseok’s resolve, he began to hope for a happy ending for both. It was obvious that they were both holding something heavy on their shoulders, but they were both struggling to get through that.

How could he say no to Minseok?

“Alright.” Jongdae murmured.

“I’ll tell Kyungjin.”

“Thank you.”

“She’ll be sad.”

“That’s why you’ll be there.”

Minseok gave him the briefest of smiles.

The saddest Jongdae had ever seen on him.

 


A/N:

I’m back! Sorry for being MIA.

There’s a blog post explaining all about it. And a special treat if you read it all the way to the end.
http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/1053084

Enjoy! Thank you! And sorry!