Baby Blues

Trials of Life

*A year later

"Yeah, yeah, today sounds good.. What time? Noon? Alright, bye. See you then."

     Kangin lazily leaned against a doorframe in the nursery, watching his overly-stressed wife balance the phone between her ear and shoulder. At the same time, she constantly shifted a fussy Kyuhyun in her arms, trying to bottle feed him. In the end, though, he would spit up and wail. Loudly.

"Some help here, please?!" It more of a demand than a request. Kangin chuckled.

"Honey, maybe he's not hungry. Just wail til we meet up with Hangeng and Heechul for lunch and try feeding hin again then."

Leeteuk sighed in resignation, and placed a still-flailing Kyuhyun into his crib. He screamed and sobbed and flung his limbs about until she the mobile hanging above, and a gentle lullaby flowed out. A blue wolf chased a pink bunny and other small colorful animals in a circle, but never caught them. 'Why a wolf chasing little animals? Isn't that kinda.. violant for children.. Oh yeah, it was a present from Heechul.' The two tired parents stayed silent until the shrieks and spastic movements ceased, and then dropped onto nearby rocking chairs, exhausted. Leeteuk blew a few stray strands of hair from her face, and relished the few moments of peace she would finally have.

"Let's take a nap.. we have a few hours until the picnic.."

*Other side of the neighborhood

     Hangeng sat at the kitchen table, quietly bottle feeding a calm Sungmin. She accepted her food without complaint, and managed to keep it down too. Her older brother, Yesung (4 years old), watched intently as his turtles slowly ambled across the dining table. Heechul was upstairs sleeping- "Because giving birth is hard work, you know!" Hangeng smiled. Sungmin was his little angel, a daddy's girl. So far she showed no signs of being like Heechul, aside from the feminine features. Yesung was just.. Yesung. He wasn't like either of his parents (except for being quiet, like his father); Heechul blamed it on Hangeng's 'foreign genes'. Sungmin suddenly let go of her bottle. Hangeng tensed slightly, expecting her to spit up or start a tantrum; she had yet to do so, but she was a baby, after all, and that's what babies do. She opened in a little 'O', and she..

Burped. Then yawned.

Then proceeded to fall asleep. Hangeng slackened his posture, relieved and grateful. He'd heard many horror stories from Leeteuk and Kangin, starring Kyuhyun. So far, his daughter and their son were polar opposites, and for that, he was grateful. Immensely.

Heechul eventually came downstairs, and watched her husband and her daughter. Yesung had run outside to 'take his turtles for a stroll.'

"Yah, what a boring creature she is. All she does is eat and sleep!"

But Hangeng knew that her eyes would soften, and that she too would secretly adore Sungmin.