Ice Ice Baby

Trials of Life

Sungmin smiled as she watched Ryeowook wrapping her arms around Yesung in an attempt to stay standing. "Oppa! Oppa! It's really slippery, don't let go- OPPAAA!" she wailed, drawing the attention of fellow skaters. Yesung was having a hard time holding himself up, let alone another person. Sungmin finished lacing up her skates, which were unusually pink and looked up to see Kyuhyun leaning casually against the wall of the outdoor rink. "Plan on skating today, slowpoke?" She brushed past him as she stepped into the rink. "Nope, a week from now. Dumba-" she was cut off as she placed a confident foot on the ice, only for the world to slip out under her feet. Kyuhyun guffawed for about five minutes straight as she struggled to even sit up.

"Who's the now?!" She could just imagine him slapping his knee and his face reddening like a tomato.

She got to laugh, though, when he started to choke, gasping on the chilled air.

~20 minutes of bickering and laughing later~

Hangend used his scarf as a makeshift flag."On your mark, get set.."

Sungmin and Kyuhyun glanced from him, to each other, to the rink ahead, anticipating the drawn out word.

"Go!"

Kyuhyun would say the race was a close one, while Sungmin would scoff.

He elbowed his way in front of Sungmin, careful not to lean to close to one side or another. Sungmin gritted her teeth and pushed on ahead, attempting to pass him. Her hair was flying, his hat was askew, and the wind bit at their exposed flesh.

Dang, it was cold.

Passersby watched in amusement, anticipating the outcome of the race. At one point, Kyuyun nearly lost his footing and almost grabbed onto the wall for support, but caught himself when he saw the hope of victory beginning to gleam in Sungmin's eyes.

They were both panting but still pushing themselves like derby horses when they caught sight of a familiar green scarf and a smiling man. Heechul leaned over the edge of the rink, being outside of it, alternating her support for the competitors.

"Go, Minnie-Min, go! You can't let some brat beat you!" Then "Kyuhyun, are you gonna lose to a girl?! Shape up!"

Kyuhyun forced step after step, his adrenaline pounding and his heart racing. Sungmin had a different tactic. After already using her leg muscles to their maximum strength, she let up a little bit and glided- all the way to and past the finish line.

Kyuhyun whined, to say the least.

"That wasn't fair!" Sungmin leaned over and held onto her knees, sweating and feeling as if she were standing in an oven.

"How.. so..?" she panted, her head pounding, and her world swaying out of focus.

"Well, I was so totally about to win, but you know somehow you always manage to get ahead of me- hey, you ok?" Her eyes were closed in concentration and visible beads of sweat trailed down her temples. Sungmin waved him off with a clumsy hand, nearly missing his face. "Yeah, yeah, just feeling a little dizzy.. is all.." Hangeng eyed her with worry. "What's wrong, Mincess? You need to go home?"

"Perhaps she needs a bit to eat, maybe," Heechul suggested, narrowed eyes centered on Sungmin. She knew Sungmin hadn't had much for breakfast- not just that morning, but for the past few months. Despite the extra bowl or plate she put on the sink to throw off suspicion, a mother wasn't stupid. Sungmin almost didn't hear over the rush of blood in her head. No one said anything for an awkward moment or two. "Umma, I just.. wasn't hungry.." Sungmin mumbled, finally feeling the pressure begin to lessen in her head. Just then, Ryeowook and Yesung bounded over.

"Unnie, me and Yesungie-oppa learned to stay on the ice without falling!" Ryeowook exclaimed cheerfully. Yesung had that trademark small smile on his lips. Kyuhyun bent down and ruffled her hair in fondness; Ryeowook huffed and re-aligned her bunny earmuffs."That's good for you, Wookie-ah," Sungmin smiled back, relieved they hadn't seen the uncomfortable incident.

Hangeng cleared his throat. "Well, how about we go have the wonderful picnic Mrs. Han packed by the Han River, then we can go back home so your parents don't file a missing persons report?" Heechul added, "I cooked and packed more than enough for everyone!" Sungmin felt the dropped hint was so obvious she could have picked it up.

Lunch was fantastic, even as Sungmin felt every bite was one bite too many.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm back!!! kinda. *DOUBLE UPDATE ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKYYYY*