Stories from seventh grade

Trials of Life

Sungmin awoke to sunlight streaming in through her window, filtering through her white lace curtains and making her baby pink room even brighter than usual. She yawned and stretched lazily, much like a cat, and blinked dazedly a few times. After deciding she couldn't sleep anymore, she ran her hand through her hair as she sat up. She looked around her room, barely giving thought to her white wood furniture and little feminine trinkets, and saw none other than Cho Kyuhyun sitting on her pink duvet, messy brown curls and glasses perched on the bridge of his nose, peering at her. She almost paid him no mind, but took a double take, nearly screamed, and flung him off her bed with a powerful flick of her ankle. Sen, her cat, hissed and leapt nimbly onto the windowsill.

"Ouch Min, good morning to you too. Your hair looks like crap, by the way."

Sungmin rubbed at her eyes. "You and your hair always look like crap. Why.." "Why what?" Her door opened and her father came in.

"Dad, why is this in my room? What happened to no boys allowed- actually, you said I could kill any pests that wandered in, right?" Kyuhyun opened his mouth in protest, but Hangeng chuckled and spoke first. "I let him in, Minnie. He and Ryeowook are joining us for breakfast." Sungmin's mood immediately brightened, and she quickly slid out of bed. Kyuhyun smiled when he saw her shirt.

"Hey, that's the shirt I brought back from China."

It was a plain white T-shirt with a cow on it. The cow wore a rice-patty hat and held a bowl of rice, as well as chopsticks. Kyuhyun had had 'MooMin' printed in a gold oriental font above the bovine in hangul. Sungmin grinned cheekily back.

"It was the only T-shirt I had left." Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and picked up a pillow she had kicked off in her sleep (she seemed to have an instinctive kicking habit..) and chucked it at her. She easily dodged it and stuck her tongue out at him. "Mehrong!" Hangeng just watched their childish antics, despite their age, in slight amusement. "Kids will be kids."

After she got dressed (after kicking Kyuhyun out of her room, of course) Sungmin headed downstairs to see her parents, Yesung, Ryeowook, and Kyuhyun already sitting at the table, the boys carrying a light conversation about soccer, and the girls talking excitedly about new coats (it was winter, after all).

"Unnie!" Ryewook cried happily when she saw Sungmin. She opened her thin arms and reached up for a hug, and wrapped said arms in a deathlock when she received one.

"Unf.. Wookie-ah.. can't.. breaff.." Sungmin mumbled, full of Ryeowook's hair. Ryeowook grinned.

"We're going ice skating today, Min-unnie! Yesung-oppa says you're really bad." Sungmin snorted.

"He's the one who steps on the ice and it seems to slip right out under him. Besides, I've been taking ballet since forever, I'm probably decent at it now." It had been years since Sungmin skated. With the help of her dad, she'd already achieved her black belt in Chinese martial arts, and had begun taking ballet even before she mastered that.

Yesung huffed indignantly. "Hey, just because I'm clumsy doesn't mean you have to go making fun of me." Sungmin and Kyuhyun cracked up at his attempted pout.

Heechul cackled. "Son, you have two left feet and a noodle body!" she continued laughing hysterically, ignoring the pointed look Hangeng sent her. It was true though- Yesung's body wavered like a wet noodle, especially when he danced.

Yesung rolled his eyes at his mother's antics and instead paid attention to entertaining Ryeowook with his hilarious facial expressions. Sungmin laughed and struck up a conversation with Kyuhyun, who was wolfing down his American-style breakfast like it was his last meal.

"Hey, when's that WWII project due? Didn't Mrs. Jang say it was due, like, last week?"

Kyuhyun swallowed a heap of scrambled eggs and bacon before replying. "I don't know. Crazy woman can't even keep up with her own class." Sungmin rolled her eyes. Kyuhyun shoveled strip after strip of bacon into his mouth. "Hey, did you know that when you do the Heimlich maneuver, you're supposed to crack the person's ribs?" Kyuhyun choked. Sungmin grinned mischieviously. "Let us now put that fact to good use!" she said, almost maniacally, reaching out to Kyuhyun. She stopped though when bits of food spilled from his lips and she handed him a glass of milk. "Disgusting," she playfully muttered.

Kyuhyun wiped his mouth. "Your mom's disgusting." Heechul cocked an eyebrow. "What did you say?"

"ER, nothing, Mrs. Han. You're a lovely woman."

"Yeah, thats what I thought." Sungmin rolled her eyes.

"Alright!" Hangeng set his napkin down ceremoniously. "Time to go to the ice rink!"

"Alright Min, let's have a bet. "First person to finish a lap around the rink- without falling or holding onto something- wins." Sungmin grinned, already feeling her competitive nature surfacing. "You're on, Cho."