High School's right around the corner

Trials of Life

In honor of the fact that I recently graduated eighth grade (American school system).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sungmin swallowed nervously and tugged at the hem of her dress. ( http://www.windsorstore.com/images/products/1_137061_FS_Dresses.JPG ) She fidgeted in her white heels, and tried to focus on what Sunny was saying to her. Her hair was curled, her light makeup was perfect (and waterproof, lest she cry and run the risk of ruining it) and overall she looked like a porcelain doll. The ceremony would start in 10 minutes; where was Kyuhyun?

"-And you know what else? My dad said my dress was way too short- it almost goes to my knees! I was like, 'Dad, come on, I'm fourteen, you should see the things the 12-year-olds wear these days, I mean, come on!' Sungmin? Hey, Minnie, yoo-hoo- are you even listening?"

Sungmin nodded dazedly, her eyes still scanning the crowd, quite a challenge considering her short, petite build and despite her heels. "Yeah, Sunny, I know how you feel. Yesung-oppa almost had a cow and insisted I wear a sweater."

Sunny gushed. "Ooh, really? That's so sweet, I wish I had an older brother sometimes." Sungmin shot her a look.

"It's not always as much fun as you think- Oh, Kyu! Hey! Over here!" She spotted a familiar mop of tousled, brown curls. In the past year, he finally surrendered to Sungmin's nagging, and ditched his glasses and got contacts. He was wearing a grey suit, and stuck to a safe, plain white shirt. But after being dragged to the mall the past weekend by his mom and Sungmin (Ryeowook tagged along of course), he had half-heartedly agreed to wear a pink tie, which had a shade coincedentally similar to Sungmin's dress ('Hey, don't look at me! Your mom chose it.' A grinning Leeteuk nodded in approval).

Sunny wagged her eyebrows suggestively. "Ooh, your boy looks quite dashing, Min. You know, if you keep denying your little thing going on, I might just snatch him up for myself!" she winked, laughing when Sungmin elbowed her lightly.

Sungmin glared. "Go on ahead, there is nothing- I repeat, nothing- going on between me and Cho over there. He's just my dysfunctional best friend." Sunny giggled. "Whatever you say!" She ignored Sungmin's protests and skipped off to squeal with Tiffany over who was hot and, well, who was not.

Kyuhyun ambled on over with long legs and long strides. He was now about eye-level with Sungmin's forehead, and that was when she was wearing heels. "Minnimin, wearing a short dress? And heels?! I never thought to see the day when Baby-Min would graduate eighth grade! You're growing up so fast!" He feigned tears and Sungmin snorted. She pulled her dress down yet again, unable to shake off the feeling of self-consciousness. "You know, Kyu, you're barely older than me." Kyuhyun stood on his tip-toes and towered over her. "Hey, quit it. I know, I'm a shorty." She stuck her tongue out playfully at him. Kyuhyun grinned cheekily at her. "Short girls are cute Min. Wouldn't it be weird if a guy was dating a girl that towered over him?"

Sungmin's gaze darted around the room nervously, scanning the occupants. "Don't let Mi hear you say that, you'd break her heart." The girl mentioned was looking stylish, as usual, in a calf-length flowy dress only she could pull off. ( http://www.windsorstore.com/images/products/1_139608_FS_Bridgit-Yellow-Prom-Dresses.JPG ) She'd decided it wouldn't make a difference if she wore flats, so she wore heels, drawing attention from all around. She laughed and chatted with GDragon, another fashion-forward student. Sungmin smiled; if Kyuhyun knew how much the girl liked him, maybe he wouldn't let such comments slip so easily.

Kyuhyun grimaced slightly. "She's beautiful and all, Min, but she's not really my type. But, anyways, you look pretty, Minnimin." He hugged her. Sungmin scowled. "Hey, you're gonna mess up my hair, Cho. And I should've gone on a diet earlier." Kyuhyun was about to respond when-

Seohyun came over, looking slightly miffed at the sight. Sungmin quickly pulled away from Kyuhyun's embrace. "Hey, Seohyun. You look so pretty!" ( http://www.windsorstore.com/images/products/1_117142_FS_White-Cotton-Dresses-With-Buttons.JPG )Seohyun returned a gentle smile. "Thanks, Sungmin. You do too." She hesitantly turned to Kyuhyun. "And you, uh, you look really handsome, Kyuhyun." Her cheeks were flaming and she couldn't meet his eyes. Kyuhyun was blushing too. "Yeah, you look really pretty." They both looked bashfully at the ground, while Sungmin bit her lips, attempting to hold in her laughter. Thankfully, the principal broke the awkward silence.

"Alright, students, it's time! Line up, and we will soon be processing into the auditorium!" The chatter that had dulled for a few moments rose again as everyone scurried to their places. Kyuhyun was near the front, while Sungmin was almost at the end. She walked in between the two endless rows to reach her spot, focusing on not tripping, and her head lowered as she attempted to ignore the stares. Sunny was giggling when she finally reached the end.

"Omo, Kyuhyun's tie and your dress! How cute!" she pretended to swoon. "Looks like Seohyun's got her eye on your man, though!"

Sungmin scowled. "They'd be a cute couple." Sunny pouted. "You're not even going to put up a fight?"

"There's no need to!" Sungmin replied with exasperation.

Sunny pouted. "Rawr! I was just saying you know. Calm down tiger."

Sungmin sent her a wary glance. "Go die."

Sunny sent her a sickeningly sweet smile in return.

Sungmin rolled her eyes.

"Alright, soon-to-be-graduates! It is time to process into the auditorium. We have practiced this countless times- if I catch any of you- any of you (pointed look sent at the forever-inseperable Donghae and Eunhyuk)- horsing around, you may have to stand where you are now a year from now! Alright? Good." The ancient maths teacher gazed sternly at all of their faces, but then her eyes softened just a bit and she smiled. "Onward we go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cameras flashed and Sungmin held a long-practiced smile painfully, her heart light in her chest and her diploma very real in her hands. This was it- after this, she wouldn't see half of these idiots ever again. The thought made her mentally sigh in relief.

But there were her friends too. Of course not all of them would attend the same high school- some would go to one of the big three schools, SM Academy (where she, Kyuhyun, and the rest of her best friends would go), YG High (where GD and his crew would be heading), JYP Institute (where other kids like Sohee would be going). She teared up a bit but swallowed, it would be embarassing to cry in front of all these families.

Kyuhyun interrupted her reverie when he offered an arm for her to take. She smiled at him at took it; he knew what she looked like when she was about to cry, but he said nothing. He grinned at her. "You ready to get to the banquet and party?" She laughed. "Ready when you are, Kyu." 

Ready for the next chapter of their lives.