The Third Grade, and the First Trial

Trials of Life

Hello, readers! I'm sorry it took me forever to update, my laptop broke (excuses, excuses..)

So now that I've gotten a hold of my sister's laptop, here's an update! WARNING: kid!angst..? I guess you can call it that..?

 

*2 years later (A/N: Sorry for skipping around so much, but writing every year would  be quite painful.. [I'm so lazy..]..)

*Things that have happened: Sungmin and Kyuhyun are still best friends, but now they have a group of friends around them, which consists of- Donghae, Eunhyuk, Zhou Mi, Henry, Siwon, Kibum, and of course Sungmin and Kyuhyun (Ryeowook and Yesung are in the group as well, but they're not in the same age range). Yesung is now in sixth grade, and Ryeowook is in second grade. Seohyun and Zhou Mi are enemies (because of Kyuhyun), but Seohyun is friends with everyone else.

 

It was recess time, and kids from second, third, and fourth grade ran about. Laughter, screaming, and general chatter was heard from all around. In the sand pit, Sungmin was pushing Ryeowook and Zhou Mi on the swingset; Seohyun was attempting to build a sand castle, while Zhou Mi was trying to knock it down and kick sand in Seohyun's face. Kibum sat on the edge, reading Charlotte's Web. Donghae was having a dance-off with a girl named Hyoyeon, Seohyun's twin sister. The boys- Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk, Siwon, and Henry- sat near the fence, facing the girls with mild interest. Except Eunhyuk, who watched Donghae and Hyoyeon with full attention.

"Truth or dare, Eunhyuk?"

"Dare, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun's eyes followed Eunhyuk's, landing on the scene of dance-off. "Alright, uh.. I dare you to tell Hyoyeon she is the best dancer you have ever seen."

Eunhyuk snapped out of his incoherent thoughts. "Wh-what? Can I change this to truth? Pleeaseee?"

Kyuhyun smirked. "I TRIPLE-dog dare you."

The two other boys gasped. "TRIPLE-dog dare!!"

Eunhyuk visibly gulped, then put on the best warrior face a nine year old could have. "Fine. I'll do it, just you wait and see!"

His only response was snickers.

He stood bravely and practically sprinted to his best friend (Donghae) and crush (Hyoyeon). "Hyoyeon-sshi! YOU ARE THE BEST DANCER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!" Hyoyeon grinned and blushed, her eyes showing happiness, while Donghae's immediately watered.

"I hate you! You are a stupid monkey!" And with that, she bolted off, blue sneakers in a blur.

To say Eunhyuk was shocked was an understatement. He stood for a full three and-a-half minutes standing glued to his spot and gaping. After Siwon had finally gotten up to haul his friend back to their spot, he finally came out of his trance. "Why does she hate me? What did I do wrong?" The girls had also witnesssed the scene, and came over to get in on it.

"Pabo, you're supposed to compliment her. You hurt her feelings!" Zhou Mi snorted, flipping her hair.

Eunhyuk's eyes further widened, and shock was written all over his face. "What? Really?! Now what do I do?! She hates me!"

Ryeowook rolled her eyes, but gave him a small smile. "You are supposed to say, 'Mianhae,' to her. Even I know that."

"Wahh, my Wookie is so smart!" Sungmin grabbed her practically-little-sister an pulled her into her lap. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "She sure doesn't act like it-" Ryeowook glared, "-MOST of the time." He finished with a grin. Eunhyuk had already run off with Ryeowook's advice in mind.

"Unnie, I want to go back to the swings.." Ryeowook whined.

Sungmin smiled, got up, and took her hand. "Alright, let's go. Bye guys, do not make any more trouble!" And so the girls went back to whatever it was they were doing, resulting in Seohyun running off and screaming about sand in and all over her new dress. Zhou Mi has very long legs, after all.

"So.. what do we do now?"

"How about we continue where we left off.."

And with great timing, a breathless Eunhyuk came back, a tear-stained but now-calmed Donghae trailing after.

"Alright, its my turn to dare the evil one here! Kyuhyun, truth or dare?"

"Dare. Truth is for losers."

Eunhyuk took a look around the playgrounds, surveying the scene, and his eyes stopped on a particular girl. He grinned. "I dare you to punch Sungmin."

Kyuhyun was 'The Master of Dares', but he was a bit taken aback. "Punch her? Why?"

Eunhyuk shrugged. "You deserve to do something as bad as I did. And besides, she is tough; I have never ever seen her cry before. Ever."

Siwon seemed worried. "This is not good, guys. God never wants us to hurt another perso-"

But Henry thought otherwise. "Do it, hyung, you will look cool! And Sungmin is tough, she will not care."

Kyuhyun thought a bit, then decided, "Ok. She is pretty tough, I have never seen her cry either. I think she is tougher than you, Hyukjae," he teased. Eunhyuk's face flushed. "I am tough!"

Kyuhyun dismissed that thought. "Whatever. Ok, I will do it now!"

Siwon moved after him, "Wait! No, Kyuhyu-" Eunhyuk and Henry pulled him down. "A dare is a dare."

"Min!" Sungmin heard her name being called, and whirled around, "Yes, what is it Kyu-"

The fact that Kyuhyun's fist was flying straight towards her face did not register in her brain fast enough, and soon blinding pain spread through, starting in her left eye. She staggered back, her right hand searching for something to hold onto, while the other cradled her face. "OW! Cho Kyuhyun, what was that-"

The fact that Ryeowook's body, altough little, still a body, came flying towards her didn't register in her brain at all. She had been facing away when Ryeowook's back met hers at full force, sending them both to the ground. And Kyuhyun stood stock-still, mouth wide open, not believing his eyes. Zhou Mi immediately lept off her swing, and came running to Sungmin  and Ryeowook, careful to avoid her object of affection.

"Sungmin! Ryeowook! Are you ok?!"

The boys, like Kyuhyun, were in total shock, but figured out sooner than he did that there was a BIG problem.

Zhou Mi tenderly picked up Ryeowook, who was sobbing her eyes out. She pulled her into her lap, wiping away the tears and asking her repeatedly if she needed to see the nurse. Siwon came barreling over and immediately picked up the tiny girl and piggy-backed her into the school. Sungmin carefully pulled herself up, with the help of Eunhyuk. She still held her eye but Kyuhyun could see the other eye shut tight in pain, tears leaking out of the corner. And the flood of surprise came before the guilt.

"WHOA, you are crying!"

As soon as the recklessly selected words left his mouth, he realized he'd said the wrong thing at the wrong time. Everyone went silent. And Sungmin lifted her head, her face red, and her brown eyes shining with tears. Her left hand flew to her side. Everyone gasped. Her left eye was already a deep purple and swollen shut, greatly contrasting her ivory skin. Her hair was ruffled, the bangs messily covering her forehead. And her lips pulled back to reveal bared, grinding teeth.

"Is this what you wanted, Kyu? Is it?! I told you not to make any trouble! Aish, really! Boys are so stupid!"

She roughly brushed past him, and like Donghae before, she flew from the scene, pink sneakers in a blur. Donghae caught a glimpse of her friend's tear covered face, and immediately sprinted after. Not before tossing a confused and slightly angry look at Eunhyuk, though.

And Kyuhyun stood, mouth hanging open, not believing what he'd heard. Zhou Mi stood up and dusted off her skirt, and strode up to him. "You know, I'm sure she didn't mean it, you're really amazing after all, not all boys are stupid, you're so cool.." Kyuhyun turned to her and managed a weak smile to silence her, for now the flood of guilt came crashing down on him. Henry meakly turned towards him. "Maybe you should take Ryeowook's advice.. you know, go apologize.." Kyuhyun nodded dumbly and waddled off, the guilt still robbing him of his senses.

The next day, Sungmin signed up for Martial Arts classes.