Toddler Tales

Trials of Life

*3 years, a new little sister, and many playdates later

"Ok, Kyuhyun, here's the preschool. We went here yesterday, remember? Now, be a good boy. I love you," Leeteuk says as she kisses her son's forehead, avoiding the flying punches thrown her way.

"Don't wanna go!" he yelled, his little face scrunching up in anger. Leeteuk sighed, and motioned Kangin to come over. He picked Kyuhyun up, tossed him over his shoulder, and marched into the school, ignoring the blows raining upon his back. Leeteuk smiled.

"Love you, baby! Have a good day!" Her only response was a screech. "That's my boy." She grinned, and grabbed little (2 1/2 years old) Ryeowook's hand to take her to her T-K class.

*In the classroom

Sungmin wore a pink collared blouse and a ruffled white skirt. Her long, straight black hair was in two low pigtails, tied together with pink satin ribbons, and her bangs covered one of her eyes. Little feet, in pink sneakers, swung back and forth. Her dark brown fox-eyes and pink pouty lips were set in concentration as she sat alone at her table, coloring a picture of a bunny. Heechul stood behind her, peering over her head. "That's a cute bunny, Min. But make sure you don't bring a real one home, we already have enough animals.." A cat and two turtles is more trouble than you think..

Hangeng kneeled next to her, and spoke quietly. "You sure you're gonna be ok here, Minnie?"

Sungmin smiled brightly. "Neh, Daddy. I be good." Hangeng grinned, and hugged her. Heechul ruffled her hair. "Alright, let's go. We need to drag Yesung to the second grade classroom."

"Let's hope he didn't pack his turtles again.."

A shriek of fear.. or was it anger? was heard down the hall. Sungmin knew that shriek very well. Kyuhyun's here! All the kids in the classroom peeked their heads outside, and had to cover their ears. The teacher was suddenly disheartened; today was going to be a bad day. Kangin brought in his bundle of joy and plopped him down next to Sungmin.

"Take care of him, Min? Oh, and have a good day, son!" Sungmin smiled her bright smile and nodded, while Kyuhyun sulked moodily. His tantrums tended to reside when he was near his best friend. Two kids holding hands, a boy and a girl, made their way over. They moved smoothly for toddlers, and were adorable. The teacher eyed the four kids warily.

"Hiya! I am Donghae, he is Hyukjae.. er, Eunhyuk!" The girl introduced herself and her friend. The teacher couldn't help but smile. Donghae wore a bright blue shirt with Nemo on it, and blue capris. Her dark brown hair went  past her shoulders slightly, and her bangs messily covered her forehead. Her friend, Hyukjae, wore a shirt of a jungle on it, with a cute monkey swinging from tree to tree. His loose khaki shorts went down to his knees, and he had a messy mop or reddish-brown hair. His dark brown eyes gazed shyly at the ground, while Donghae's big brown eyes were lit up in excitement.

Sungmin flashed her bright smile again. She pointed at her best friend, who was apparently melting in his chair and sliding under the table. "He is Kyuhyun, I am Sungmin." The teacher almost couldn't hear her speak. Her soft, calm voice brought Kyuhyun back into solid form as he sat up. He brushed off his blue polo shirt with black-and-white stripes, and made sure it was neatly tucked into his black pants. His pushed his brown curly hair from his face, and observed the couple in front of him with big, dark brown eyes. He glanced at Eunhyuk, then pointed to Donghae. "Girlfriend?" The teacher's eyes widened.

Eunhyuk blushed slightly, as Donghae hugged her bestest buddy. "Yes, girlfriend!" Sungmin focused on coloring her bunny, but she smiled slightly down at her paper. Kyuhyun snickered. Donghae was confused, "Why? I am girl, I am his friend. So I am girlfriend!" she explained. "Sungmin your girlfriend!" she exclaimed.

Sungmin abruptly stopped coloring her paper, but a blush was coloring her cheeks. Her umma and appa had explained the terms 'girlfriend and boyfriend' to her and Kyuhyun, and she was apparently never to have a boyfriend. Until she was older, at least. Much older. Kyuhyun choked on his saliva (A/N: yes, it happens, I do it all the time :P) and his eyes displayed something like bewilderment. As soon as he got over his shock enough to form a somewhat coherent sentence, the teacher came over.

"Hello, I am Ms. Kim. I see you all get along, so why don't you guys sit together (it's a table for four, two seats facing another two). Donghae, you and Eunhyuk can sit across from Sungmin and Kyuhyun. Class is starting soon, so pay attention, arasso?" By the time she finished speaking, Donghae was chatting animatedly with Eunhyuk about the fish tank in her room, while Sungmin was trying her best to prevent Kyuhyun from drawing explosives around her bunny. Ms. Kim sighed; kids will be kids.

*5 minutes later

"Alright class, it's time for roll call! When I call your name, please say 'here', and raise your hand in case you can't hear me. After I call your name, you can tell me if you have a nickname. Arasso?"

"Alright, Han Sungmin?" (A/N: Han is apparently Hangeng's family name so...) 'Hmm, what a strange name, mix of Korean and Chinese..' Ms. Kim thought to herself.

"Here," Sungmin calls, but Ms. Kim wouldn't have noticed her if she hadn't raised her hand. "I just Sungmin," her voice quiets, "only special peoples call me Min or Minnie.." Ms. Kim noticed the way the boy next to her grinned triumphantly.

"Kim Kyuhyun,"

"Here! I am just Kyuhyun, only my Minnie call me Kyu!" 'He seems smart', the Ms. Kim noted. A slight blush slowly crept across Sungmin's face.

"Henry Lau?" Two kids, a boy and a girl, speaking a language foreign to mostly everyone's ears, temporarily ended their conversaton.

"Here! I just Henry!" Ms. Kim had a urge to pinch his little chubby cheeks, he was just precious!

"Lee Donghae,"

"Heereeee! Everyone call me Hae, sometime Hyukkie call me Fishy!" Eunhyuk blushed again. 'He seems so shy,' the teacher noticed.

"Lee Hyukjae,"

"Here.. only special peoples calls me Hyukkie, but all calls me Eunhyuk. Sometimes Fishy call me Monkey.." His voice wasn't as quiet as Sungmin's, but it had that soft quality to it.

"Zhou Mi?"

"Here! I called Mi, Henli call me MiMi!" Wow. That girl was taaallllll.

There were about a dozen more students in the class. They had silent work time, studying the alphabet and numbers up to twenty until playtime. Then, Ms. Kim, with the help of Sungmin and Eunhyuk, had to stop the crayon war going on between Donghae and Kyuhyun. Ms. Kim had to write a peace treaty, Eunhyuk promised to dance for Donghae at recess, and Sungmin promised to sing 'The Three Bears'. All because Kyuhyun had refused to share his crayons, which would be ok if he hadn't stolen them from from Eunhyuk, who had been sharing with Donghae.

"Share Sungmin crayons!" Donghae yelled as she tried to calm down a sniffling Eunhyuk.

"No, she is girl! She got cooties!" Kyuhyun retorted.

Sungmin glared at him, and smacked his arm. "We not friends no more! And Donghae is girl too!"

Kyuhyun's eyes widened. "You right, Min! Eeeewwww!" And with that, the first crayon was thrown. Well, the whole box, actually. And.. you know where that leads.

After the war, Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin's hand with his own two and looked up sincerely into her eyes, "Minnie, we still friends, right?" She glared at him, bonked him on the head with her free hand, and smiled. "Neh, but be good."

But lunch was even worse. Eunhyuk had started a food fight. Yes, Eunhyuk; he had somehow managed to get over his shyness.

"Hey Kyuhyun, gonna eat that?" Eunhyuk pointed at the container of beef-lettuce wraps.

"Uh, no.. HEEEEY!" Kyuhyun ducked, saving himself, but effectively starting the war.

Soon, a lettuce wrap was flying across the room, opening, the contents raining over unsuspecting students. For a second, the room was dead quiet. Then-

"FOOD FIGHT!!!"

From then on, it was total chaos. All of preschool, kindergarten, and first grade participated. Except for Sungmin, of course, because she clearly remembered the conversation she'd had with her parents before stepping foot on school gounds-

*Flashback

Hangeng squatted in front of his daughter, as Heechul was threatening to ground Yesung if he went about rubbing his peers' philthrums. "I don't think I need to tell you, Minnie, but just in case; you know why you're at school, right?"

"Neh, appa."

"Good. You are here to learn and to study, right? Of course, you can make friends, and hang out with Kyuhyun, but no fooling around, arasso?"

"Ok!" She beamed, and allowed a hug from her father.

"No, umma! Please, I'll be good! Don't fry Ddangkoma!"

*Present time

"WHO. DID. THIS?!"

Boy, the principle sure was mad- and he had every right to be. The cafeteria was a mess- noodles hung from the lights, kimchi covered the walls, and clumps of rice blanketed the ground. The younger students were covered in food as well, and older students were coming in about 5 minutes.

To make a long story short, Henry tattled on Eunhyuk- "HE STARTED IT!", Eunhyuk was doomed to clean the cafeteria with the janitors while Kyuhyun smirked and snickered, and all participants were lectured on how 'food is supposed to be in you, not on you!' Much to the disappointment of the students, the lecture up all the time they were to have for recess.

The rest of the day went smoothly. Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk made amends, and there was only one fight, involving crayons yet again. Zhou Mi had accidentally flung a crayon, which hit Sungmin on the head. Which made Kyuhyun mad. Because he had to protect HIS Sungmin. He had aimed and posed to retaliate, before Sungmin stopped and reprimanded him. Zhou Mi tearfully approached Sungmin and Kyuhyun afterwards, apologizing and pleading for forgiveness, which Sungmin accepted, of course. Kyuhyun did too, after receiving an elbow to the ribs. From then on, class was normal- well, as normal as normal can be.

Rrriinngggg!

School was over! The kids hurriedly jumped up and ran to their cubbies, grabbing their backpacks and lunchboxes, packing away their pencil cases, books, and other school supplies. As the classroom door opened, they stampeded out, blending into the stream of other students.

"Remember class, there's no homework, but you still have t-"

Too late. The classroom was empty and silent.

Yesung had patiently waited by the main entrance for his little dongsaengs, who walked hand in hand as they greeted him. "Hey, Kyuhyun, what happened to 'cooties'?" he teased, as Kyuhyun and Sungmin blushed, but didn't release each other's hands. He laughed to himself. Ryeowook had already been picked up, since T-K classes ended at noon.

So the three walked home, Kyuhyun and Sungmin hand-in-hand, without a care in the world. Yesung trailed behind, but he wasn't lonely- he had his turtles.