I'm not jealous

Trials of Life

Kyuhyun wasn't exactly sure what his feelings were as he watched Sungmin laugh with Jonghyun outside through the window. Definitely not anger or jealousy, though.

He felt a bit hotter though as Jonghyun casually slung an arm around her. He tugged at his collar. Must be the thermostat.

Sungmin, however, leaned away a bit. He felt considerably cooler. My collar must've been too tight.

Jonghyun laid his head across Sungmin's book, which was on her lap. Kyuhyun felt warm again, and that was definitely not a vein pulsing in his forehead. What does this kid think he's doing?!

He pulled out his phone.

To: Lee Jjong

How's the project going? 

Sent.

Jonghyun laughed as Sungmin attempted to push him off, pulling out his phone for only a moment before shoving it back into his pocket.

Kyuhyun was definitely not seething. 

To: MinnieMin

Working on the project?

Sent.

A few seconds later, Sungmin started looking through her bag, Jonghyun looking over her shoulder. She turned her back to him.

From: MinneMin

yeah. jonghyun's being a real loser right now though.

Kyuhyun felt better.

He was about to send a reply when a hand grabbed his neck from behind.

", I was about to go into cardiac arrest, man!"

Eunhyuk flashed a gummy smile, not looking at him. "Ooh, creeping on Sungminnie, are you?"

He scowled. "Not creeping."

"Chaperoning?"

Kyuhyun shoved him away. "No. Just making sure that kid doesn't do anything crazy?"

Eunhyuk waggled his eyebrows suggestively. "Why? You.. jealous?"

Students weren't even surprised when a two boys sprinted down the hallway, one running for his life.

 

"Who's that?" Jonghyun pestered Sungmin, asking repeatedly while trying to catch a glimpse of her phone. She maneuvered wildly to avoid him.

"None of your business, get to work on the arrangement," she put her phone back in her bag. He pouted.

"Not cute, do your work, we only have three weeks left!" she dropped the textbook in his lap.

"OOF- okay, 'only three weeks'" he rolled his eyes.

"Three weeks can be like three days if we slack off."

"Don't worry, we got this. We already organized like,  half of the arrangement."

"Don't forget about English practice."

He brushed her off. "You worry too much."

"You worry too little," she retorted.

"Look," he put the textbook back on the grass, "we're seventeen. Live a little, you know? Before we go off to college in a couple years." 

Sungmin relaxed her shoulders. "I guess. It's just, you know, pressure."

He grinned. "I know the perfect way to release your stress. How about coming to our concert Friday? Party at Jungshin's afterwards." He looked into her eyes. "You can't say no, bring your friends too. I already invited Kyu."

Donghae loved parties, and Sungmin did like their music. And her best friend would be there. "Fine, fine." She rolled her eyes as he fist-pumped. "Only because Donghae loves partying and being social though."

He hugged her tightly, ignoring her flailing arms. "Great Min! When you get to the place, tell them you're with us; you and the gang can hang with us backstage."

"Sure. Back to work now, we need to build up stress in order to release it," she laughed at his grimace.

 

"He invited you to a concert and after-party?!" Sungmin held her phone a foot away from her ear and could still hear Donghae's squealing. "Yes," she sighed. "My mom's just as excited as you are, we have to go shopping tomorrow."

"Oh, we just have to," Donghae faked exasperation. "I love shopping, you love shopping, what's the deal?"

"I don't really like parties," Sungmin winced, imagining the rowdiness and yelling of the crowd. "What if someone brings alcohol?"

"Of course someone will," Donghae agreed. "All you have to do is avoid it. Bring your own bottle of water, that's what I do."

"You've been to one?!"

"Hyukjae took me to one when last year," she admitted. "We didn't get drunk, or you know.. do anything."

Sungmin groaned. "What if it's just a bunch of teenagers dry-humping on the dance floor?"

"Then you avoid the dance floor," Donghae replied matter-of-fact-edly. "Really, Min, whenever you feel uncomfortable, me and Hyuk or Kyu will just take you home. Or Jonghyun," Sungmin could hear the insinuation in her voice. 

"I'd rather my mom not see Jonghyun," Sungmin was getting a headache. "You know what she thinks when I'm with any boy other than Kyu or Hyuk."

"Tch, that's fine. Kyuhyun would do it for you. He would do anything for you." 

"Of course, he's like my brother." Sungmin felt uneasy.

"Brothers don't look at their sisters the way Kyuhyun looks at you," Donghae chided.

"Yeah, well brothers call girls sisters if they don't have any feelings for them," Sungmin replied. The line was silent for a few moments.

"He called you his sister?"

"Like a sister, close enough. He compared me to Ryeowook," she rubbed her temple.

"Do you think of him as a brother?" Donghae asked gently.

"..In some ways, yes." 

"Do you think of him as a brother?" Donghae repeated her question, this time with more strictness. Sungmin hated when she repeated questions to get to the most basic answer.

"..."

"No." she admitted.

Donghae's soft laugh, the one she reserved for 'girl talk' moments, filtered through. "I know. Hell, everyone knows, Min,"

"Is it that obvious?" She sighed. 

"Not really, actually. You can't really see it, just feel it."

"Feel it?"

"Just like, when you two are together, there's just this like, feeling, or bond I guess, that nobody can really get between, and you can kind of feel it when you guys talk about each other too. I think that's why Seohyun or Zhou Mi won't make a move on him," Donghae paused, catching her breath. "Sorry for rambling, that's the best way I can describe it."

"Oh. I feel really bad though, Seohyun and Mi can do whatever they want. That 'feeling' is just me, Hae."

"Pabo," Sungmin could see Donghae shaking her head. "You'll see.. well, what about Jonghyyun then?"

She blinked. "What about him."

"Well, I didn't want to be blunt and all, but do you like him?"

"I.. not really, I guess. He's cute, funny, charming, and he has a passion for music, but I don't really get all nervous and girly around him."

"So, nothing?"

"Close to it."

"..You know he's a flirtatious playboy, right?"

Sungmin wanted to smack her head on the wall. "I know, why does everyone keep telling me? It's not like I can't watch out for myself."

"Hey, I'm just watching out for you. I know you've got your head on straight, Min," Donghae replied. It reminded her of something her dad said to her before.

"Yeah, as of now, he's just a friend. It'll probably stay that way, too."

"I have an idea!" Donghae yelled randomly. Sungmin jumped a little. 

"What," she responded flatly. Donghae's ideas weren't always.. successful.

"We'll get you all dolled up, then Jonghyun will be even more flirty, and then Kyuhyun will be jealous!" Donghae exclaimed, pleased with herself.

"I'd rather he not want me just because another guy does," Sungmin drawled. 

She tsked. "That's not it, it's just to, pique his interest, you know?"

"And if he doesn't give a , like I expect?"

"Then you still have Jonghyun, and probably a ton of other guys there."

Sungmin wasn't in the mood to argue. "Fine. I'm not going to dress like a hooker though."

"What made you think that?! Of course not, we're going to make you y in a classy way," Donghae scoffed. Sungmin smiled; she really did love her best (girl)friend.

"My dad's dropping us off at the mall tomorrow, bring your wallet and stuff," Sungmin said.

"Will do!"

After hanging up, Sungmin laid down on her bed. Admitting her feelings to Donghae wasn't as hard as admitting them to herself.

Her phone vibrated.

From: y Jonghyun (Sungmin rolled her eyes, how did he even get into her phone?)

'Study' date tomorrow? ;)

She smirked.  

To: Lee Jonghyun (Changing his contact name back was becoming routine.)

nope. going shopping. :)

From: Lee Jonghyun

Can I come?

To: Lee Jonghyun

nope. go practice with your band for friday.

She tossed her phone on her nightstand, not bothering to wait for a reply. Time to rest for a shopping trip.