First Grade

Trials of Life

A/N: MY GOSH THIS PICTURE LITERALLY TOOK ME HOURS TO FIND (I'm not very skilled in internet-searching..) I guess this is... kinda what Sungmin and Kyuhyun look like? Except Sungmin's hair is longer. And she looks way younger.

 

*2 years later

A pouting Kyuhyun sat in the time-out corner. Sungmin's desk just so happened to face that corner. Directly. Kyuhyun could see that her expression was stoic, and unreadable, but he saw the laughter dancing in her eyes. When the teacher looked away, he stuck his tongue out at her.

How did this happen? Well..

It was a normal day at SM School (A/N: Yeah, creative name, I know :P). Out in the school yard, children from preschool, kindergarten, and first grade participated in recess activites. In the sandbox, Eunhyuk and Donghae were building a sandcastle. By the sandbox, Kyuhyun, Sungmin, and Henry stood, watching a catfight.

"No, Kyuhyun-oppa likes me more! You're from a different country, you have a weird accent!" Seohyun sneered.

Zhou Mi drew herself up to full height. "Well, I've heard lots of boys say my accent is cool! Including Kyuhyun! They all say you're whiny!"

Seohyun seemed unsure of how to answer, but resorted to changing the subject. "Oh, yeah? You're a freak! You're like a huge tree, over all the normal trees! How's the weather up there?" she retorted.

Zhou Mi spit. "It's raining."

Sungmin observed the scene, amused. "Why would they fight over such a silly thing?"

Henry shrugged. He was confused. "I dunno. Why don't they just ask Kyuhyun who he likes?"

"Why do they like Kyuhyun, even? HE'S JUST A STUPID NERD (hehe oxymoron)..." Sungmin said the last part especially loud. Seohyun gasped. "You said the S-word!"

Kyuhyun defended his pride, "Hey! I am not a nerd! You're the one who's always reading books and getting the best grades! Except in maths, because I am the best in that."

Sungmin snorted. "It's called intelligence. Ever heard of it?"

"No," the other four kids chorused. She rolled her eyes. "My point exactly."

"Besides," she continued, "you actually look like a nerd. I have lots of boys trying to hold my hand at the water fountain when the teacher's not looking."

"You mean the pre-schoolers? Besides, I have some HOT chicks fighting over me right here." Zhou Mi and Seohyun were now pulling each other's hair.

Sungmin's eyes widened. "Hot chicks? What does that mean? And no, I mean like Eunhyuk, Minho-oppa, Jay-oppa.. even Henry, sometimes." Henry blushed.

"You're too immature to understand my termimalolagy-"

"You mean terminology?"

"DON'T INTERRUPT ME. Yes, that's what I meant. And you stay away from that Jay!"

"That's Jay-hyung to you. And why? He's nice, and he likes to share snacks with me."

"Because it rhymes. Stay away from Jay. And he shouldn't, hasn't he ever seen those 'Don't feed the cow' signs at the petting zoo?" Kyuhyun smirked.

Sungmin's mouth opened in shock. "Did you just call me fat?!"

"Actua-"

Rrrriiingggg!

"Never mind, I don't wanna hear it. Recess is over." She grabbed Henry's hand and stormed off. Henry threw an apologetic glance Kyuhyun's way. Kyuhyun chuckled, though, despite Sungmin's burning death glare. He knew Sungmin would forgive him. She always did. He strolled inside the building, a disheveled, ragged, Zhou Mi and Seohyun following after. He caught up to Sungmin in the hallway.

"You know, even though ALL THE GIRLS are fighting over it, there's one girl who I like the most. It's you, you know," Kyuhyun murmured into her ear.

"Not gonna save you this time, Cho." She sped walk ahead, dragging a resigned Henry after.

"-and he called me fat!" Kyuhyun arrived in the class room just in time to see an upset, teary-eyed Sungmin. His eyes widened in shock and recognition. 'Did she just tattle on me?!' The teacher sighed, stressed from the already long day. She didn't understand why they kept doing this- getting each other in trouble, for no random reason at all. Well, other than their enjoyment.

"So let me get this straight- Kyuhyun started a fight, and he insulted you?"

"Neh."

"Alright Kyuhyun, get in the time-out corner."

"B-B-Bu-But-"

"No buts. Just do it, please." She really needed an aspirin.

He reluctantly made his way to the dreaded time-out stool, passing Sungmin's desk on the way. He wasn't really surprised that her face was completely dry and devoid of tears and sadness. "Fat cow," he muttered as bumped into her not-really-on-accident; she grinned, despite his remark. But a few minutes later, their eyes would meet, and they would giggle silently.

Because he knows he's already been long forgiven, and she knows that he doesn't mean it.