Otso

A Piece Of Me

The clock ticked. I sat near the window in the coffee shop, taking in all my surroundings. My coffee and cookie remained untouched as I scanned for any familiar face.

 

 

 

 

After the hotel incident, I went home directly; making sure nobody was following me. As I got inside my apartment, I had an eerie feeling. Someone has gotten in! By instinct, I silently grabbed the pocket knife hidden inside my jacket. After all this, I’m leaving. I’m leaving and getting a plastic surgery and everything will be solved. I’ll change my name and live in Alaska and forget all this. My eyes squinted as I took very careful and precise steps. I heard movement on the floor. It was near the kitchen. I held my knife tighter. There was only one way in and out of the kitchen. I should do this quickly. Adrenaline rushed and in a flash, I invaded my own kitchen, ready to kill unwanted guests.

 

 

“Grrr” My dog stared back at me, giving me the most ferocious growl it could make.

 

 

I sighed. I’m too paranoid.

 

 

“Sorry dubu” I muttered. My own dog walked out on me, giving me what I think was a “you-just-pissed-me-off” glare.

 

 

I sighed, placing my knife on the table. A book caught my attention. It was place exactly at the center of the round table top. I picked up the book and read the cover.

 

 

Destroy me by Tahereh Mafi

 

 

I froze. This book was the book Kris had given (technically left outside my room) me for Christmas a few years ago. I interrogated him, grilling him into admitting he was the one who gave me the book, but he strongly denied. Yet he admitted it months ago when he thought I was asleep in the hospital after his kidnapping.

 

 

I ran my fingers on the cover, slowly opening it to see what secret it held inside.

 

 

Book Latte.

 

 

The piece of paper relayed only two words.

 

 

They know where I am.

 

 

 

 

 

I looked at my cold, untouched coffee. Ironic, it reminds me of me.

 

 

Cold and untouched.

 

 

“You were never one to order coffee in a coffee shop” I abruptly stood up, meeting the eyes of my former employer, my teacher, my father. Li Wei.

 

 

I bowed, giving him every bit of respect he deserves.

 

 

“Sit down” He said, his eyes make a quick scan of our surroundings before he begins to talk again.

 

 

“Lu Han called Yi Fan last night” He informed as he stared at me, his face so business-like.

 

 

“I will immediately leave” I replied, keeping my face blank.

 

 

“He’s already here” He said, this time, he sounded so casual.

 

 

“I.. I am sorry sir. I didn’t do well to cover my tracks”

 

 

“No Xu Xian” He said.

 

 

“What?” I was confused. What did he mean?

 

 

“A part of you, no matter how much you deny it, wanted to be found. You left little traces and Lu Han connected the dots so perfectly. Tell me, who is it you love? Yi Fan or Lu Han?”

 

 

I could feel my control crumble. No sound came out of my mouth. I was SPEECHLESS.

 

 

“Sir” I managed to say, trying to regain my senses.

 

 

“I don't have the right to make you choose. Whatever you do in your life is yours. But take heed, he’s here and he will find you” He said, his tone indicated he was dismissing me. I gave him a nod and stood up, bowing a perfect 90⁰ and walked myself out of the coffee shop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My hands shivered.

 

 

He came for me. He’s here.

 

 

After everything, after breaking him, after damaging his heart, he wants to see me.

 

 

I shook off my thoughts, hurrying my steps as I entered my house.

 

 

I WILL LEAVE

 

 

A choice so simple yet so hard. I walked inside and found myself running to my room, eyes finding my bags. I rushed and put everything I could grab inside my duffel without thinking much.

 

 

“She is a soft, deadly creature. Kind and timid and terrifying. She's completely out of control and has no idea what she's capable of. And even though she hates me, I can't help but be fascinated by her. I'm enchanted by her pretend-innocence; jealous, even, of the power she wields so unwittingly. I want so much to be a part of her world. I want to know what it's like to be in her mind, to feel what she feels. It seems a tremendous weight to carry.
And now she's out there, somewhere, unleashed on society.”

 

 

I stopped what I was doing, feeling suddenly numb. Everything I held in my hand fell and I could feel myself shake.

 

 

That quote.

 

 

I turned around and my eyes found his russet ones. His gaze bore into me, his face so stoic that he reminds me of a statue. And those lips. Those lips that have spoken words that could burn through my heart. They were nothing but pale and unreadable. His gaze held mine as he raised the book he had once bought me.

 

 

“What a beautiful disaster”

 

 

He finished.

 

"Yi Fan"

 

My heart just stopped.

 

 

 

 

 

Quote is from Tahereh Mafi's "Destroy me" which I highly recommend for all hopeless romantics to read! Updated in such a long time! Love you guys. Will try to update soon <3 Btw, if any of you have instagram, please follow me @c_plaine! I follow back. Thankies <3 Love you subbies, upvoters, and viewers!!