Page One

A Fresh Start.

~Prolouge

            "Why don't you just go and do something worth living! You're always getting in the way and causing trouble!" 

            Words I never wanted to hear, but were words I heard all the time. And yet, it hurt me everytime they said it to me. I wish they cared, but they don't, they never will. I cried that night. Like every other night they yelled at me and told me that I didn't matter. I wondered why they even had children. I wondered why they even had me. They treated my brother and sister better than they treated me. Was I a mistake? That night, I decided that I couldn't handle it anymore. I told myself that I wasn’t going to leave, but I just couldn't take it anymore. All the drama, the yelling, it's just too much. I packed all my stuff that night and left a note in my room.

~I guess you got your wish.
I'm leaving and never coming back.
You never cared anyways right?
I don't expect you guys to look for me since 
I know you don't care. I hope that I wasn't too
much of a burden to you and that you will live
your lives better without me.

- Minhee.

            I felt bad for leaving my brother and sister behind, but my parents cared more about them anyways. They'll be 
treated right and they will do fine without me. I left that night and never looked back.

 

-*-

~Present

I smelled the air. The air was clear and refreshing. It was nice, for once I didn't feel worried or stressed. I felt free and careless. I wanted to just sit there staring at the world in front of me. The world that I never got to explore fully.  I smiled looking ahead of me, the waves of the ocean, the people below me having fun. It's like pure freedom. I am now free because I am out of that place and nowhere near them, or it. 


It's all mine now. 

"Minhee! Cmon! Let's go to the beach!" Called out my friend.
            I turned around and nodded. We left to the beach where we found our home. We laid on our towels under an umbrella to keep from burning our skin from the sun.
            "Minhee, do you ever think about your family?"
            I took a second to answer. I looked at the view of the beach and smiled. "Sometimes. Only about my siblings. How are they? What are they doing now? Has mom and dad 
treated them well? Where are they now? I sometimes wonder that." I answered looking out into the blue landscape in front of me.
             Heeyee nodded, "Do you miss your parents?"
            I looked at her and thought about her question. "Yes and no, but I don't want to go back. I couldn't handle them always bagging on me. It just wasn't right."
            I looked down and played with the little string that was hanging from the towel. 
            "Do you ever wish you never left?" Heeyee asked.
            "Once in a while, but it's better for me here. I like it here, and I feel like I can be me here." I smiled cheerfully.
             "Why all of the questions suddenly?" I said.
             Heeyee shrugged, "I never asked before. I knew the main reason, I just didn't want to bother you at the time because it seemed really hard for you to talk about it."
            I nodded, "It was, but now that' I've had time to think and reflect, I'm comfortable talking 
about it." A small tear fell down my cheek.
 "Sorry Minhee, I didn't mean to make you cry!"
 Heeyee saw my tear fall down. She gave me tight hug, I hugged her back. Clutching onto her as if I were to lose her. While quietly sobbing and sniffling, in the background. I hear music faintly. It catches my attention and I pull away from the hug.
            "Do you hear that music?"
            Heeyee listened then nodded.
            "It's so...beautiful." I said.
            I was drawn to it. It was like it was calling my name.
            "Let's go check it out." I said getting up and grabbing my things. 
            When we got to the source of the music, it was so beautiful. It was soft and sweet, like a love song. I looked at the man who was strumming the guitar. He was handsome, very handsome. He looked strangely familiar. I was puzzled to who the man was.
             "He is cute!" Heeyee said checking out the guy.
            "Hey! I saw him first!" I said and stuck out my tongue at her.
            She laughed, "Okay, okay. I'll back off." She laughed again.
            I smiled as if I had a chance with this stranger. 
            My attention went back to the man strumming the guitar. He was all I could focus on. Before I knew it, I was standing right in front of him. He finished playing his song and smiled. I froze for a second then smiled back.
            "The song is beautiful." I said and smiled again.
            He smiled back, "Thank you, but it's not the only beautiful thing I see."
            I blushed. I blushed redder than a tomato.
            "Aha, thank you." I smiled sweetly as possible despite my red cheeks.
            "You're welcome, anytime." He smiled again.
            That smile. He was....so cute. So...handsome. So...amazing. I walked away after he had
said so.
            "What happened? Why are your cheeks all red?" Heeyee said curiously.
             "He's...so...cute!" I said in a girl-ish tone.
            "What happened?" Heeyee asked confused.
            "He said I was beautiful." I smiled brightly at Heeyee.
            Heeyee's face lit up. "Really! Oh my gosh! He might have a thing for you." She said nudging me and winking.
            "Whatever! I doubt we'll meet again." I said and Heeyee laughed as we walked away to continue our way to wherever we decided to go.