Accept

The Selfless One

- - CHAPTER 5

Accept - - 

"Minho, are you sure you don't mind?"

He chuckled as he reached out to ruffle my hair, "I'm sure. I really don't mind wearing this again," he reassured me as he motioned to his pants. The same pants he'd worn when I'd found him. In all honesty they were fine, just a bit of dirt on the jean fabric.

I felt bad though. I was going to wash them this morning, I'd even set my alarm for earlier so that I could wash them and dry them before we went out. But then, I'd gone and overslept so it hadn't been possible. Heck, Minho had even woken up before me.

It was weird as I usually woke up at the crack of dawn basically, but I'd gone to bed later than expected last night after finishing my work. I just hadn't been able to concentrate on the work.

I was beginning to wonder if Minho wasn't more of a distraction than a blessing.

But when he woke me up this morning, I knew he could never be a distraction. And in that brief moment just after I'd opened my eyes and his face was the first thing I saw, I'd thought I'd been prematurely taken to heaven.

Well, until I realized how close Minho was. I'd then shot upright and had tugged myself as far as I could from him before mumbling a nervous, 'Good morning'.

His smirk had told me that he enjoyed making me flustered.

From then on it'd been a rush to get myself ready in time. Minho had woken me up at around nine and I'd told Key I'd meet him at twelve. I'd wanted to go shopping with Minho before then though and three hour wasn't much time. But I'd surprised myself by getting ready in half an hour, even managing to eat an apple as I rushed about.

"Well then," I cleared my throat as he finished ruffling my loose locks, "Shall we go?"

He nodded and I quickly ushered him out of the door before locking it behind us. Not that there was much crime in my neighbourhood, nor was there anything of much value in the apartment, but it was a habit my father had taught me.

It was a beautiful day out, not too cold, but not too warm with gentle sunshine and a barely-there breeze. I loved this kind of weather, the weather just before it turned into late autumn and winter. Also, at this time, the plants were still alive and somewhat vibrant.

"What's it like in the countryside this time of year?" I asked as we walked to the bus stop. "I've never really been, so I was curious..."

"Well, it's still quite green this time of the year, but there's always something to do and someone to help in either planting or harvesting," he began as he fondly looked up towards the sky. "Usually the old lady next door would come ask me for help in patching up her house for the winter. She lives in an old house, but she refuses to build on to it properly so there's always something to fix."

"Then, my dad will often make me drive our produce to the local market to sell..." he trailed, continuing to tell me the story of his life before venturing to Seoul. I was transfixed. I'd asked a simple question, but he'd told me a story instead and I was grateful. I wanted to know more and more about him and if he was willing, I'd gladly listen.

I watched as Minho's eyes began to shine as he repeated his memories and I prayed that he'd be able to return home soon. Hopefully with the person he was looking for of course, and that they'd happily return with him. From that simple gleam in his eyes, I could tell that he missed his home and he deserved to go back.

"Krystal, isn't the bus stop behind us?"

I'd been so engrossed in his story, my thoughts and his eyes that I hadn't even realized that we'd walked at least 300m from the bus stop. My eyes widened as I whipped my head over my shoulder and indeed, the bus stop was there.

I shook my head, "I'm not a very good guide, am I?" I sheepishly asked as we began backtracking.

"It's ok," Minho reassured me, "I wouldn't mind getting lost with you."

Did he have to grin like that?

I quickly turned my face away so that he wouldn't see the colour staining my cheeks, even using my hair to hide my face from his gaze.

"The bus will be here soon..." I muttered in an attempt to steer the conversation in another direction.

Minho seemed to catch on, "How long is the bus trip?"

"Well, we're going to Myeongdong, and there isn't too much traffic now so not too long," I replied, feeling the blush subside.

I really had always prided myself in my good self control, but somehow, Minho made that fly out the door completely, never to return. And it was still only morning.

Oh, today was going to be a long day.

 

- - - - -

 

"You really do enjoy shopping, don't you?"

I giggled at Minho's question as I piled another shirt onto his arms, the fifth one and we were only at the third store.

"When you do something, do it well," I told him as I browsed another section. It was something my father had also always told me and I agreed with it. That's why I always tried to give a 100% when doing something, even something I didn't like. That way, you'd never regret the output.

But shopping was something I did like and giving a 100% wasn't a problem.

Besides, shopping for others was fun, especially Minho. It was fun to try and think which clothes would suit his frame and his personality and then making it come to life.

I often bought clothes for Sulli like this or with her and somehow, the satisfaction from seeing her face light up, was worth it.

In a lot of ways, I was too much of a people-pleaser.

I flinched at the traitorous thought.

I wasn't a people-pleaser, I was simply unselfish.

I shook my head as I hastily dumped another shirt onto Minho's pile.

"Go try these on ok?" I said while motioning to the nearby dressing room, "I especially want to see the blue one, but come out only if you want to," I told him with a slight smile and he exhaled loudly.

I could tell he wasn't the biggest shopper ever, but he was tolerating it. Also, he was gaining something from this, so there was no need to stop until we needed to go and meet Key. Which was in an hour's time. I sighed softly as I waited for Minho to change. So far, we'd been in around ten stores and I'd gotten him two pairs of jeans and about three shirts.

They'd all looked really good on him so it was money well spent. He insisted on paying me back, but I didn't expect that from him. I didn't take him out because I expected something in return.

Give and not take.

I was lucky that he didn't have expensive taste. I was a student after all and I had a very limited income. My mom and step father provided Sulli and I with a monthly allowance, but that was for rent and food. Any other money I earned from working at the orphanage, which was little at the best of times, and Sulli got money from her various modelling gigs. Since she wasn't a big name yet, she didn't earn too much and most of it she used for herself, which was only fair since she earned it.

"I like this one the most."

It was the blue one.

I smiled as he tugged on the slightly figure-hugging fabric. Coming from the countryside, I was sure that he wasn't used to city fashion but his hesitance made him cute. Immediately, the image of a sweating Minho in denim overalls, dirt streaked white shirt and gumboots entered my mind. His hair would clump together from the sweat after a hard day's work of harvesting and handiwork. A smile curved my lips at this image, despite the other connotations it could have.

"Are you ok?"

I shook my head at Minho's question, remembering that we were in Seoul now and that he was in city clothes.

"Go change again," I told him with a final check, "We're buying this one." A smile broke out on his lips and I could see he was grateful that he wouldn't have to try on more clothes.

"I promise I'll pay you back for all of this," he said to me as we walked out the store, bag in hand. I shook my head as we waited for the pedestrian crossing to turn green.

"It's all a gift," I replied while motioning to the three packets he held, "No repayment necessary."

His eyes became stern, "No, I'm really going to pay you back." The sudden change made me unable to reply as the light turned green and we began walking. So, I simply nodded and focused on walking in the crowd around us.

He was the only one who challenged me like this.

I wasn't sure whether it was refreshing or frustrating.

I checked the time and it was almost time to meet Key. For some reason, my heart fluttered in nervousness. What if Key didn't like how I'd met Minho? What if he didn't approve of the current living arrangements? He would do something about it, hell, I think he'd even call the police. I also couldn't lie to him. No, no, never to Key. My sister I could still trick in some ways but Key knew every trick I knew and more. He'd see through me within the first five seconds of my sentence.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when a hand latched onto my wrist.

My eyes widened as I instantly halted and spun my head around.

"Sorry," Minho sheepishly grinned, "You were walking so fast..." he paused as his eyes locked with mine, "Can I keep holding onto your wrist like this? That way I won't get left behind again... I wouldn't like to get lost here..."

I was sure the blush was there, even though I couldn't feel it.

I inclined my head, "I'm sorry for walking too fast," I apologized, already feeling guilty, "I was caught up in my thoughts..." I said softly while sneaking a glance to the hand enclosing my wrist, "But you can hold on."

I didn't want him to let go either.

Warmth spread over my entire frame from such simple contact and I relished in it. In fact, I was even considering taking a longer route to get to the cafe Key and I had chosen.

But Krystal, I warned myself, that would be selfish.

I shivered at the mere word and quickly decided against the longer route. If Minho had seen my shiver, he didn't mention it as he came to walk beside me, still clutching my wrist lightly.

"Is there always this many people out and about?" Minho asked with awe laced in his voice.

I nodded, "Yeah, this is pretty much the usual. Well, there's a few more since it's weekend so people who'd usually be working this time of the day can come out." It was true, Seoul was a very busy city and there were always people milling about in some way or someone trying to go somewhere, "Even at night, it's busy."

He looked around in amazement, at the tall buildings, the colourful atmosphere, the noise and the people. It was all probably so foreign to him. I wondered what would've happened if I'd never found him in that alleyway on Friday... how would he have survived in this city without anyone to guide him?

"Can we come at night then?"

I almost didn't hear his question, but since I seemed to have tuned myself in to his frequency, I managed to pick it up.

"Of course we can," I replied with a soft smile as the cafe came into sight.

My heart began to pump anxiously again.

But, there was no backing out now.

"Krystal!"

I heard Key's voice before I saw him and I slowly turned to locate him. He was already sitting at one of the tables, blonde hair styled well and clothes fashionable. His eyes observed my form fondly, but as soon as they found Minho clutching my wrist, they narrowed dangerously. I inhaled sharply, Key's eyes could cut diamonds if he so willed them to.

"I don't think he likes the look of me," Minho whispered in a nervous half-chuckle as we approached the feline-like man.

"No, he's just overprotective," I spoke, hoping to reassure him.

"Key!" I exclaimed as soon as I was close enough. Minho let go of my wrist and I was able to envelope Key's slender frame in a hug. He returned the hug fiercely. but I could feel him glaring at Minho over my shoulder and I half expected him to put his tail between his legs and run.

But he was still there when we released each other.

I cleared my throat, "Key, this is Minho and Minho, this is Key," I introduced them and they shook each other's hands. Well, despite the slight tension, they seemed to be ok-

Nope.

I saw as they both wore strained expressions from their handshake and I rolled my eyes. Really? They were trying to show their strength by killing each other's hands?

"Let's sit down, shall we?" I said, breaking their connection and motioning to the table. Both begrudgingly agreed and shuffled to the table, Minho to my right and Key to my left.

A waitress immediately came to take our orders and she gave me a glare of jealousy. I shook my head. Yes, while I had two very attractive men sitting beside me, their auras weren't very enticing. In fact, I felt suffocated by the tension they were admitting. That waitress didn't want to be in my position right now.

"So Minho..." Key began while lazily flicking his eyes over to him, "How do you know Krystal? A friend from university?"

Well, way to start a conversation Key.

"Nope."

Even I was surprised at how easily Minho said that, "She found me actually."

Key raised an eyebrow, "She found you?"

Minho's lips curled upward, "Yup," he agreed while his eyes began to shine, "In an alleyway. She then even treated my wounds and let me stay at her place. She's like a real angel."

Key's eyes widened and he turned me to, his gaze demanding answers.

I sighed and glanced at Minho, wanting to wipe the smug look off of his face. I wasn't even phased by the fact that he'd called me an angel right now.

"Ehhh..." I trailed nervously, tucking my hair behind my ear, "Well... it's true. I did find him in an alleyway close to my house..." I paused, averting my eyes, "But he was really injured so you know me... I couldn't just leave him there!" I defended myself, hoping that Key would understand.

His gaze softened.

"He's from the countryside... so he really doesn't know his way around Seoul at all. After I treated him, I couldn't just leave him to fend for himself."

Key's gaze softened even more and I felt relieved. I knew that he out of all people would be able to understand my reasoning.

"Well then... why are you here Minho?"

Minho's expression became more tender, losing the smugness and he smiled fondly instead, "I'm looking for someone."

"A family member?" he was now more curious than anything.

"No..." the tall male returned while shaking his head, "To be honest... I don't even know who it is..."

I was expecting Key to laugh before telling Minho to book himself into a mental asylum. I certainly wasn't expecting the only slightly narrowed eyes and slight smile.

"You believe him Krys?" he asked me, eyes meeting mine. He was searching for some kind of insecurity, some kind of lie, but I simply nodded. I honestly did believe Minho.

Key sighed and leaned back in his chair, relaxing for the first time, "Well then... as much as I don't want to... if Krystal trusts you, then I find no reason not to."

I truly was astounded.

How is it that everyone who I deemed close to me... was just so accepting of this? My sister too even. And Sulli would probably also agree. I really just couldn't comprehend how all of them trusted my judgement so much.

The tension between the two boys now disappeared and instead, they'd found a common ground.

"But... I'm sleeping over tonight Krystal."

"What?" I blurted out to Key.

He folded his arms, "I trust your judgement. But I'm staying over tonight to keep an eye on him. I need to make sure he really is safe."

Uh-oh.

 

- - - - -

 

Well, I certainly hadn't been expecting this.

Minho and Key. Talking as though they were old friends who hadn't seen each other in a few years and were catching up. I simply sat on the coach opposite them and listened, amazed at their newfound closeness.

Key had even told Minho about SHINee, his other best friends who he'd known for ten years now and Minho acted like he'd been with them for the ten years.

I was truly amazed that all I could do was watch them and make tea when Key asked.

Eventually, I found myself yawning and I excused myself to go to bed. Key knew his way around like he lived here so I wasn't too worried about getting him settled.

Once in the sanctuary of my room, dressed in my pjs and safely tucked in the covers, I questioned the recent events.

Minho really had just come in and changed my entire world. The people close to me had even changed.

A simple boy from the countryside had somehow indirectly influenced the lives of so many others and had made mine... just that much more interesting.

He forced me to question the ideals I'd made, to the point of me beginning to wonder why I'd made them in the first place. He made me want to indulge... yet I didn't feel guilty about it in the slightest.

"You still awake?"

I sat up as soon as the voice entered and I squinted to see Key at the door. Even in the darkness I could see the smile on his lips.

"Well, I suppose that answers my question," he chuckled as he walked towards me and crawled beside me on the bed. I'd never minded Key invading my personal space. Everything he did was brotherly and we'd already been through the awkward stage of 'does he like me? Do I like him?' and we'd discovered that we simply were just friends.

I sighed as I leaned my head against his shoulder, smiling as he wrapped an arm around my waist. I always felt secure like this.

"Don't tell Minho, he might get jealous if he knew I could hold you like this."

I playfully smacked his chest, "You're seeing things," I teased.

"I was surprised actually."

"Hmm?"

"Minho is actually telling the truth," he informed, trailing his fingers through my loose locks. I inhaled deeply at the soothing action.

"I really thought that he was lying somehow... but when you talk to him... there's just no trace of insincerity..." he trailed. "It's really rather amazing that someone like him exists."

Well, I had to agree with that.

"I think they raise them differently in the countryside..." I mumbled, beginning to fall asleep.

Key chuckled in response, "Are you going to let him stay here until he finds whoever he's looking for?"

His question held seriousness in it.

"Yeah..." I breathed out, my heart clenching slightly. The person Minho was looking for might not be someone I wanted to meet...

"Will you be ok?"

His question held so much more than just that. He knew that I was getting attached.

But I was Jung Krystal.

I was always ok.

"Yeah... I'll be ok."

Key pulled me closer, "I'll always be here for you, you know that right?"

I nodded and allowed my eyes to shut. Despite his skinniness, he really was comfortable to sleep on.

As I was drifting off, I could've sworn I heard Key mumble something. Something that sounded like-

You deserve this happiness. 

 

- - - - -

I'm so sorry this took so long >< But here, it's at least a little longer than usual =3 But yay, new character and more is coming ^^ I looovveee you all who read, comment and subscribe <3