Progression

The Selfless One

CHAPTER TWELVE - -

- - progression

"Are you Jung Soojung?"

...

"Yes..." I answered the uniformed man in front of me. It was the middle of the school day and I'd been called to the principal's office. It was really embarrassing because everyone in class thought that I'd done something wrong. I really hadn't. I was a good student. My daddy always said that doing well in school and being liked would bring about goods things, so I did.

But when I'd gotten to the office, the secretary had shown me to this policeman. He looked very serious and I was sure he had a permanent wrinkle on his forehead. His skin was tanned and weathered, but it was his eyes that got my attention. They were very sad and I wondered why.

"Please, have a seat," he said to me while motioning to a nearby chair. Not wanting to get in trouble, he was a policeman after all, I sat down. I began to feel nervous. Why would a policeman be needing to talk to me?

The man crouched to my level, "My name is officer Kim Joon Hee and I work..." I stopped paying attention as he listed his department and a whole bunch of other things. Why was he telling me this?

"- there was an accident and he was rushed to ICU."

I perked up at that, but dread clawed at my heart.

...

"Your father..." Officer Kim paused, "I'm so sorry."

He didn't even need to explain further.

I knew.

My daddy... he...

He was dead.

The tears came without warning.

It was a silent sob at first, my body beginning to quiver, before it escalated into loud wails of sorrow that wracked my petite frame.

Daddy, you weren't supposed to go to work today. You promised - I thought to myself as I cried. Today was an award ceremony and I was getting one. He'd promised he'd come. He'd promised to take the day off so that he'd be in time.

He promised.

But...

He'd been selfish.

He'd gone to work instead. The company... couldn't they function without him? Were they selfish too?

The pain in my heart increased.

Is this what happened when people acted selfishly? Did it hurt everyone else this much?

Daddy.

...

You broke your promise.

 

- - - - -

 

"Onew tells me that the restaurant has been booming ever since you've started working here."

Minho smiled coyly as he glanced down at me. He'd been working in the restaurant for a week now and had been with SHINee for a few days more than that. I missed him terribly, but I still got to see him every day as I came to the restaurant after university and whenever I had a break really. Over the weekends, I'd even begun to do my homework and projects here.

Onew didn't mind at all and even let me use one of the tables for the entire day. Then, whenever one of the boys had a break they'd come and talk to me. And tell me how Minho was faring with them. They told me that it was as though he'd been there all along and I was glad.

Meanwhile, it'd never been more awkward between Sulli and I.

We barely spoke, only when asking what the other wanted for dinner or to say when we'd be coming home late. It did wonders for my work ethic as I had nothing better to do but finish whatever homework I'd been assigned for the day. She also hadn't asked me about Minho again.

I wonder if she even remembered.

It was a little strange really - not talking to her and not being like we used to. She used to entertain me with stories from her modelling that day and I used to listen attentively. I was amazed at how quickly things had become like this though and how I'd adapted to them so quickly.

I thought I would've grieved the loss of contact between us, but it was almost as though I'd numbed myself.

I shook my head as Minho slid into the booth beside me.

"What are you so deep in thought about?" he asked me gently as he tucked a few loose strands of hair behind my ear, "You aren't even paying attention to my teasing."

I blinked a few times as I focused on him, "Sorry. My mind has been really busy lately," I answered, smiling at his tender action.

Even though we'd been apart, he hadn't stopped being affectionate. Whenever I was here, he'd greet me enthusiastically, even if he was busy writing down an order, and whenever he had the time, he'd come and greet me properly - which to him meant a hug and a peck on my lips. This usually led to the entire restaurant staring at us, but I'd gotten used to it now.

"But the semester is almost over right?" he asked as he clasped one of my hands in his, "Then you can relax right?"

My eyes widened as my expression brightened, "That's right! It's almost Christmas break!" I exclaimed happily and squeezed his hand, "I think there's two weeks left."

Minho smiled widely, "Then we'll be able to spend a lot more time together right?" he asked hopefully and I nodded.

"Starting to miss me?" I teased.

"Every minute you're not here."

Well, I hadn't expected him to answer so frankly. I even blushed, feeling speechless.

"I... um..." I mumbled as I averted my gaze, "Your shoulder," I blurted out as my eyes fell on it, "How is it?"

I hadn't really asked him about it since we'd gone to my sister to get it patched up. It wasn't my fault really, he acted like it was perfectly fine so I'd almost forgotten about the injury.

He was surprised by the change of topic, "It's fine. The stitches are starting to disappear. Other than that, it isn't scarring too badly." This relieved me somewhat. He really did have beautiful skin and it would be a shame if something marred it. It would be like smearing a streak of black paint over the Mona Lisa's smile.

"I told you that Jessica is good," I told him with pride in my voice. I was certain that my sister was going to be one of Korea's best doctors one day. And then I'd be able to brag to everyone about it.

"How is she doing?"

"Jessica? She's..." I paused, realizing that I hadn't spoken to my sister in two weeks, ever since we'd gone together to see her, "I don't actually know."

Guilt immediately pooled in my stomach.

I should keep in touch.

But things had just been so hectic that it'd been hard to focus on anything else.

"You should give her a call," Minho said sternly, "She probably misses you." The look on his face made me pull my phone from my pocket. He was right. I should call. I wasn't sure about her missing me though. We'd only gotten close recently and while we were biologically related, I didn't think she'd be so attached to me.

"Minho, break is over~" Key cooed from the other end of the restaurant and Minho sighed in frustration.

"I wanted to spend more time with you," he pouted and I chuckled at his expression.

"I'm still going to be here," I said while gently poking his cheek, "So go, you don't want Onew or Key on your case."

The dark haired boy dropped his head in defeat and exhaled loudly, "Fine, fine," he said before he pecked my forehead, "You aren't allowed to go anywhere ok?"

I smiled while nodding, "Now go!"

He grinned as he stood and quickly scurried to a table needing his attention. It was a table full of high school girls and they giggled, smiled and eyed Minho as he took their orders. But, while I felt a tinge of jealously, I could understand why.

For some reason, Onew insisted on a uniform for the waiters. A rather cute uniform too, one that had a bowtie. It really reminded me of those boys in Japanese dramas.

I shook my head once as I moved my attention.

I had to call Jessica.

It was easy to find her number and I brought the phone to my ear.

I rolled my eyes as the background music came on. It was Genie by SNSD. I was then reminded of the time I'd danced it for Minho and my cheeks flushed. I still couldn't believe I'd done such a thing-

"Hello?"

"Jessica unnie," I replied, "Are you free now?" I could imagine her answering her phone mid-surgery, with some guy's stomach open and the entire ER focusing on her for some odd reason.

"Ah, Krystal~" she sang, "Yes, I'm free now. It's nice to hear from you! How are you doing?"

I smiled. It was a good idea to do this.

"I'm good unnie. And everything is going well at university too because Christmas break is coming up soon. With you?"

"Ah? It's almost Christmas? I completely forgot! It's just been so hectic these past few weeks. For some reason, everyone decided to get injured."

I laughed into the receiver, "I think they only do it because they know a pretty doctor will be treating them."

Her chuckle filled my ears, "Very funny... Are you still with that boy? Minho? The one I stitched up the other day?"

I wished that she could see me smiling, "Yeah, I am. He was the one that told me to call you. His wound is fine too, he says the stitches are dissolving and there isn't too much of a scar."

"Oh? Are you sure you haven't personally seen this?"  she teased and I blushed bright red. I was lucky Minho wasn't here to see this.

"Ya!" I cried out, "It's not like that..." I quickly hushed my voice.

"I'm kidding. Chill... but if you two are still together...then, want to come on a double date with me? I've been seeing this guy for a few weeks now and well, it'll nice to go out with the four of us."

My heart stopped.

A date with Minho.

The thought alone melted my brain to mush.

Sure, we acted like a couple but he hadn't officially asked me to be his girlfriend or anything and he hadn't asked me to go anywhere with him so it was still up in the air for me.

"Hello? Are you still there?"

"Ahh sorry!" I apologized, "I'll ask Minho and then let you know ok?"

"Sure thing! But I've got to get going... We'll talk soon ok?"

"We will," I reaffirmed.

"And... thank you for calling. I missed you."

My heart warmed.

"I missed you too."

And with that, we said our goodbyes.

Minho was right. Somehow. He was always right. I glanced over to where he was delivering the teenage girl's orders to them and I smiled.

...

He said yes to the date later too. 

 

YAY! Update ^^ Sorry for not updating yesterday but I got a little lazy and yeah >< But here we go :) At least the day's break gave me time to come up with this so yay! Thank you guys so much for all the comments. I'm so happy that you all love my story and are getting into it and it just makes me so damn happy <3

Also, so who is Jessica's boy? =P