Curve Ball

The Selfless One

CHAPTER FOUR - -

- - CURVE BALL

"You really weren't lying when you said you could cook," Minho spluttered in-between mouthfuls. I couldn't help but chuckle at this and even though he spoke with food in his mouth, he was endearing.

I kept my smile as I nibbled on my own small portion of food. Minho had an appetite that wasn't scared of anything, so I tried to limit myself so that he could be satisfied. After all, I wasn't sure when he'd last had a proper meal.

"I try my best not to," I replied softly, averting my gaze for a moment. Ever since my father's death, lying was another sin I avoided wholeheartedly. While it wasn't as despicable as greed, it was a close second.

I could still remember why I'd chosen to avoid it.

It was all because my father had lied about why he'd decided to divorce my mother. He'd said that it was because they just had lost their connection and it wasn't coming back. But that was a farce. In reality, he'd simply gotten bored of her and had been selfish enough to then distract himself with another woman - well, that's what my mother had told me at least.

The other woman had been merely a phase though, as I'd never seen her when it'd just been him and me.

I sighed inaudibly as I returned my gaze to the table and Minho.

I blinked slowly at the concerned expression he bore, an expression that managed to grasp my heart uncomfortably.  I wasn't used to garnering such expressions from people, least of all ones I hadn't known for very long.

"Do you want some more rice?" I asked in order to break the awkward tension that'd begun to envelope us.

Minho shook his head, "You should eat some more," he said gently as he placed his empty bowl on the table, "I'm beginning to think you're anorexic."

I smiled nervously and shook my head, "I promise I have no eating disorders," I tried to reassure him, "I really just don't have a big appetite..." I trailed as I tucked my hair behind my ear - a nervous habit.

Minho seemed unconvinced as he shrugged his shoulders, "How about we split the remainders then? I'll take half and you take half."

I started to shake my head when he interrupted me.

"- Because I'm not going to eat more unless you do."

I opened my mouth to argue, but no words came. There wasn't much I could say to that after all. I wanted him to eat, but by denying his offer, he wouldn't and I couldn't do that. I sighed in defeat and watched as he grinned victoriously.

He'd figured out how to manipulate me already.

"Ok then," I agreed as I began to dish the rest of the rice evenly. Minho watched me like a hawk as I did this, pointing out when one dish had more than the other. He really was serious about half-half wasn't he?

Once it was to his standard we began to eat again.

My stomach was instantly grateful and my face gave this way. I could see Minho's grin increasing as he observed my reactions.

Arrogant bastard.

"So," I spoke as I swallowed, "Have you figured out anything else about what you're looking for?" I asked him inquisitively. It honestly did intrigue me, the reason why he'd come here, and I really did want to find out more about the man who did what I never could.

"Well..." he began as his gaze drifted upward, "I haven't come to a conclusion if that's what you're looking for..." he sighed, "But somehow, I know that I'm on the right track."

I nodded slowly, "How do you know?" I asked, not because I was sceptical, but because by hearing him talk about this, I began to imagine what it must feel like simply to follow your heart.

A small smile curved his lips, "Don't laugh ok?" he said playfully as he put a hand over his heart, "But it's something I feel over here. There's a constant pull on my heart, one that spurs me into action."

My own heart began to beat faster.

"And ever since meeting you, the pressure has began to decrease... which is why I assume I'm on the right track."

I wasn't sure how to process that statement and I refused to do so at this current moment.

"When I was back in the country, the pressure was almost unbearable... that's why I just up and left without really making real plans. I'm usually not like this, so rash... but it was driving me insane."

"What did your parents say?"

Minho chuckled, "At first they thought I was a little crazy... but then they saw the longing in my eyes and told me to come back in two months time with or without the person I need to find."

I was in awe.

I'd never heard of such parents.

"And how do you know it's a person you need to find?" I asked since he seemed willing to answer my questions.

"Are you religious Krystal?" Minho softly queried.

I nodded. I was religious, but I'd always felt that I too inadequate to really ask anything of God.

"Three months ago, I just heard a voice telling me that I needed to go and find a person. It was a message I heard daily, so I ruled out the possibility of me being crazy so I figured that it had to be from someone bigger than me."

I nodded as I took his words in.

I wasn't sure whether he was blessed or if he belonged in a mental asylum.

"Anything else you'd like to know then?" Minho inquired after a moment and I shook my head.

"I'll reign in my curiosity," I told him softly. I didn't want to overdo it tonight, make him want to stop talking to me or seem too inquisitive. I had a lot more that I wanted to ask, but that would have to be saved for another day.

And then Minho surprised me once again.

Without hesitation, he began to take dishes to the kitchen.

I sat rooted to the spot as he continued to take more dishes to the kitchen. Sure, it wasn't a long walk to the small space, but usually, after dinner, Sulli would say 'thank you' and then patter off somewhere else. That would then leave me to take all the dishes to the kitchen and wash them.

"Would you like me to wash the dishes?"

His simply-phrased question brought me from my shock and I bolted upright and shook my head.

"No, no, I can handle that," I said as I rushed to his side, "I feel bad already since you took all the dishes, so really, go relax now."

He frowned, "Are you sure? I used the dishes too, therefore I should help you clean them..." he mumbled as he glimpsed the pile by the sink.

But I wouldn't let him manipulate me this time.

"No, you can go bath while I do this?" I stated. While Minho didn't smell in the slightest, I couldn't remember offering him the use of my bathroom since I'd met him.

"That would actually really be appreciated..." he sighed out as he placed a hand on the back of his neck and I was relieved that he'd given in.

"You can use the bath because we don't want the plaster on your shoulder getting wet," I said while leading him to the bathroom, "Also, have you taken your pain medicine?" After we'd left, Jessica had messaged me and had told me to get him some tablets for the pain. It would only be necessary for a few days, but I could see that they helped him cope.

"Ah, no, I haven't!" he exclaimed with widened eyes, "I actually forgot about this for a moment," he sheepishly continued with motioning to his left shoulder. He then reached out with his right hand and gently ruffled my hair.

I froze at the small affection.

"Thanks for reminding me," he smiled as he removed his hand. My skin immediately felt... cold and I wanted his touch back.

"You only forgot about it because the medicine makes you feel fine..." I nervously mumbled as I avoided his eyes. I was desperately trying to keep my blush under control and it would be best if he didn't see it.

"But, you go bath!" I spoke quickly as I just about shoved him into the bathroom before quickly flicking on the light switch. I followed him inside and I was pleased to find that the bathroom was clean and had apparently been spared from Sulli's-

Oh wait.

Minho had cleaned the house.

I resisted the urge to face-palm myself from embarrassment.

"You... you..." I tried to compose myself, "Can use all the stuff here," I pointed to one end of the bathtub, "They're mine. So, be good yeah?" I awkwardly said as I raced out of the room and shut the door behind me.

Once outside, I leaned against the door and rested my head against it, slowing my breathing as I did so.

Really Krystal, you've always prided yourself in your self control.

I shut my eyes for a moment and exhaled deeply. I could faintly hear the sound of water running in the room behind me and my mind began to wander. Minho would have to take his shirt off in order to get into the water and that would mean revealing his torso. Without warning, I remembered the night I'd found him and when I had to take his shirt off. His body was perfect. He was muscular, but not overly so. His stomach was flat, yet still had the outline of abdomen muscles. His skin wasn't sickly pale either, instead it was ever so slightly tanned, sun-kissed really, but it suited him perfectly. I shut my eyes tighter as I realized that the thoughts weren't going away.

I pushed myself off the door and shook my head before I padded my way to the kitchen. Work would surely get my mind off of things and I had some accounting homework I needed to do for Monday.

Yes, it was exactly what I needed to get my mind off of the current situation.

 

After about ten minutes of washing the dishes, I wanted to call a doctor and tell them to add it to the list of 'therapeutic things to do', if such a list even existed. Scrubbing the dishes had been like scrubbing my own problems away, well not that Minho was a problem really, more like an unknown variable in my life.

I sighed as I placed the last bowl onto the drying rack and proceeded to drain the water from the sink. I watched as the bubbles slowly disappeared into the drain's depths, never to be seen again.

It was currently 7:36pm and I needed to get started on my homework before I ran out of time. Tomorrow was Sunday after all, a day I didn't like working on.

I shuffled to my room, resisting the urge to sneak a glimpse at the closed bathroom door as I walked passed, and soon seated myself at my desk.

Luckily the homework wasn't much, but it was a new section so I'd be checking my notes a few times while doing it. I gritted my teeth together as I held back my boredom at the thought of doing this work. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and began playing some music in order to inspire me as it usually did.

I started on my work, trying to find some way of making it interesting as I even went as far as imagining myself walking into the actual fictional business represented in my workbook and then meeting the owners and them telling me what they needed me to do. While it wasn't my favourite story ever, it helped my motivation. I was a more creative person by nature, so doing things like this helped me focus.

Well, I would've focused if my phone hadn't beeped.

I was instantly pulled from my studious mood and my attention was drawn to my phone. I'd gotten a message and I was curious as to who had sent it.

A smile soon curved my lips.

It was from Kim Kibum, or simply Key, my best friend.

'Ya, have you forgotten about me?'

I rolled my eyes at the typical Key-style message.

'No you idiot. I've just been busy these past two days.'

I sent the message and I could only imagine his face after reading that. Key wasn't the type to take insults lightly, even if they were from me. And well, I wasn't really lying. I had been busy these past two days. It'd been the picnic on Friday and then I'd found Minho on that very same day. Then today, I'd had class and I had to take Minho to see my sister. There really hadn't been time in my day for much else.

'Me? Idiot? Are you sure you didn't confuse my picture for the mirror? So then you won't mind meeting up tomorrow to tell me all about your busy life?'

I was going to reply when I felt heat caress the back of my neck.

My eyes shut as I shivered.

"Who are you talking to?"

My eyes shot open.

Minho.

I jumped as I distanced myself as far as I could from the man, quickly turning so that I could face him.

Which probably wasn't a good idea considering the fact that he'd just gotten out the bath and water droplets were still apparent on his skin and yes, he was only wearing a towel. A pink towel which was precariously wrapped around his hips.

This was just cruel.

"No... one..." I squeaked as I pushed myself against my desk. I could feel the wooden edge cutting into my side uncomfortably, but I'd rather face that than a close proximity with a half- Minho.

He didn't believe me.

"A boyfriend?" he teased as he stood upright, "Does he mind that I'm here? Does he even know that I'm here?"

My desire to refute that thought was stronger than my desire to stay away from him.

I shot upright and waved my hands, "No, no," I repeated, "Not my boyfriend."

I wasn't even sure why I so desperately wanted him to believe me.

"It was my best friend, Key, and he was just asking me why I hadn't been talking much over the past two days," I said in a more calm tone.

"I was just teasing you know," the man before me said as he grinned, "I don't think you would've taken me in if you did have a boyfriend."

I opened my mouth, but no words left my lips.

"You should go see him then," he encouraged me, "It's nice to have people that care about you and you should spend time with them."

I nodded. Key was probably the only person I honestly trusted in this world, someone who knew me better than I knew myself. He was the only one who was privy to my real self and he was the only one who knew of my determination not to ever be selfish and he was the only one who'd probably understand why.

"And the other thing I wanted to ask was if you had something else I could wear?"

Oh right.

Clothing.

I blushed.

"Umm..." I nervously mumbled as I looked everywhere where he wasn't, "I think I do..." I mumbled as I shuffled to my cupboard, praying that I still had some slightly-too-large-for-me clothes that could fit him. I was in luck.

"Here," I said while handing him the shirt and short track pants. They were clothes someone had once given me to donate to the orphanage, but they were much too big for the kids there so I'd decided to keep them and give them to someone in need.

"Maybe tomorrow we can go out and get you some other clothes," I continued as he was walking out of my room.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise as he turned his face to look at me, "Are you sure? We can just wash the clothes I have-

I shook my head, "It's really, really ok."

He smiled, "Can we meet your friend too?"

I'd lied to Key earlier. I had forgotten about him.

I quickly weighed the pros and cons of letting Key meet Minho. I would have to explain everything to Key, but somehow, I think he'd understand.

I nodded, "Yeah sure, we can meet him."

His smile widened, "Good night then Krystal," he softly spoke as he left.

"Good night Minho," I whispered in response, even though he was already out of view.

Half dazed, I managed to walk to my desk and  flopped into my chair.

I always thought that I had figured life out.

But then it'd decided to throw a curve ball at me.

I exhaled loudly as a I combed my fingers through my hair and wrote a reply to Key, telling him where and when to meet tomorrow.

He replied with an 'OK!' and I put my phone back on my desk.

I still had work to finish. 

 

- - - - -

Wow, so I didn't mean to write this much about the two of them and I actually planned on including the meeting with Key in this chapter too, but somehow, it just turned out this way o.O I'm sorry if things are progressing strangely, but yes xD I have a reason for this... I think xD To be honest, this story isn't really planned out in my head and a lot of it... I'm typing out of experience in a way and my head is a very strange place xD Thank you to everyone that's been staying with me though ^^