Unexpected

The Selfless One

CHAPTER THREE - - 

- - unexpected

Minho had continued to confuse me after we'd made the ramyeon by proceeding to offer half of it to me. When I'd refused, he'd stubbornly stated that he wasn't going to eat if I didn't. That left me with no choice as I'd feel too guilty if he didn't. We'd then taken turns eating, but I'd always tried to scoop as little as possible, but I was grateful anyway. I had been hungry after class and the small bites had helped soothe the hunger away.

And now, Minho and I were on a bus to the hospital where my sister worked.

However, the bus ride was only serving to pique my interest in Minho even more. He didn't have a bus card on him, but that was too be expected, he did say he'd been attacked after all and the perpetrator could've stolen his wallet before slashing him. But it disappointed me, a bus card would've given me information on Minho's identity at least.

"What are you thinking about?"

Minho's voice cut into my thoughts and I shook my head before turning to face him. We were seated on a two-seater and I'd been staring out the window for the past ten minutes, trying to ignore our proximity.

"Just..." I mumbled, trying to think of something else to say besides 'you'.

An amused smirk curled his lips, "If you want to know something, you can ask," he said slyly and I blinked in amazement.

Were my thoughts suddenly audible for anyone to hear?

I quickly scanned the almost vacant bus, but if anyone else had heard my thoughts, they didn't act like it.

"I just know that look," the male beside me quickly added in, "I get it a lot from people. I know I can be quite vague," he paused, "But since you've been so nice to me, I'll answer a few questions for you."

Well, I was glad to know that I wasn't the only one he intrigued.

"Well..." I began, suddenly forgetting all I'd wanted to ask him, "How old are you?"

"I'm 22 this year," he answered quickly, "You?"

"20," I hesitantly replied.

"I thought you were younger," he teased, "You remind me of one of my younger sisters."

I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment, or to be disappointed. Half of me was glad, because maybe that was the reason he was so at ease with me and almost so trusting. The other half was disappointed because if he thought of me like a sister, then this would likely lead to unrequited-

I halted my thoughts.

No, no.

Dangerous territory Krystal.

"Ok, next question," I cleared my throat, "Where are you from?" Well, at least this would be slightly more insightful than this age.

"The heavens."

... Or not.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or wonder about his mental state.

His chuckle prevented me from doing either, "I'm kidding. Don't look so confused," he said while patting my head. I froze at the affectionate action, but it was far from unwelcomed, "I'm from the countryside. Actually only moved here this year really, so that's why I'm still a little lost around the streets and why I got myself into trouble. There wasn't much crime where I came from and people didn't carry around knives like that."

Well, it all made more sense now. I couldn't understand why Minho had been attacked in the first place. He was muscular after all, I'd seen that while I'd been bandaging him and he seemed athletic.

"I feel rather stupid really," he continued, "The attacker called me into the alleyway, saying that he needed help and I followed. I really didn't think people would lie about something like that, but once I was in the alley and far from someone who could help, he pulled out his knife and asked for my wallet. I gave that to him because it really didn't have much in it, but after I gave it to him, he tried to slit my throat. I reacted though, that's why he only got my shoulder but I ran after that and that's how I ended up in your alley."

He smiled once he finished, "I know you've been wanting to know how I ended up there."

I nodded, "And now, I'm beginning to think you're a mind reader."

He chuckled and shook his head in denial, "No, I'm just good and reading expressions."

My eyes widened at this and I wonder if he'd already noted my attraction to him... I mean, after all the times I'd blushed in his presence... I resisted the urge to place my palm on my forehead in frustration. Sometimes, I really was just too naive for my own good.

"Any more questions to ask?"

Well, if he was offering, I wasn't going to waste an opportunity.

"Why are you in Seoul? Are you studying here?" This would also give me more information on the man and maybe more of an insight into his interests at least.

"Nope," he grinned, "Not here to study."

I frowned, "For work then?"

He shook his head.

"Do you have family here then?"

He shook his head again.

"Then?" I asked in disbelief. No one simply packed up and left to go somewhere without a plan of some sort. He had nothing here in Seoul and I was beginning to doubt if he even had anywhere to live.

Minho inhaled and exhaled deeply, "Something just... told me to come here."

I wanted to laugh.

"What do you mean?" I queried instead as I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

"I can't really explain, but something told me to come here, to find someone..." he mused and I was debating on whether or not to ask my sister to get his head checked out. Honestly, his reason was something that made no sense to me.

How could you pack up and go somewhere to find someone based on a whim... based on a feeling? But then again, I'd hardly ever listened to my feelings in life...

Envy began to build inside. I was envious of him for being able to follow his feelings, his desires...

I shook my head.

Not those thoughts again Krystal.

No.

"You think I'm crazy, don't you?" Minho asked carefully and for the first time since we'd met, he seemed vulnerable.

I smiled softly, "While the concept is foreign to me... and while I do think that you're crazy..." I paused, watching as he furrowed his brow, "I think that it's a wonderful thing."

His smile was worth it.

Unlike his previous smirks and grins, this smile was beautiful and so sincere that I wanted to photograph it and keep it in my purse.

It was a smile I always wanted to see.

- - - - -

 

"How on earth did you get yourself hurt like this?"

We'd arrived at the hospital about ten minutes ago and my sister was only supposed to help us in half an hour, but when she'd seen Minho's injury, she'd pulled us into an empty room.

"I was mugged," Minho explained as he rubbed the back of his neck bashfully, "He tried to aim for my neck, but I managed to dodge him just in time so luckily he only got my shoulder."

My sister shook her head, "Luckily..." she mumbled as she shuffled to get tools.

I stood idly and watched the two from the corner of the room, unsure of what I should be doing. Yet, as I watched, I couldn't help but feel inferior to my sister.

She was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, even more so than Sulli to me. And it wasn't only my opinion that she was flawless, everyone that met her said it to her. She was clever too as not just anyone could get into medicine. Jessica was also what you'd call the 'ideal type' as she had it all - she was long limbed, had milky skin, perfect manners, was nice, could cook well and would make a very doting wife.

And that was probably why I felt jealous now.

Minho had taken his shirt off now so that Jessica could examine his wound, but unlike with me last night, he was shy around her. I could easily see it in the way he tensed his shoulders when she touched him and he seemed embarrassed to show his body to her. He was the complete opposite of how he'd been with me and I was jealous of this.

It was a strange feeling really as firstly, I hadn't known my sister for very long and secondly, I'd never wanted anything she'd had.

Well, except this-

Minho's attention.

I sighed inwardly as Jessica daintily began to stitch Minho's wound closed. She was meticulous in her work and I knew that his wound would be pretty much healed now. She was going to be a brilliant doctor one day.

However, it was amusing to watch Minho try not to watch her work. I hadn't thought he'd been squeamish, but it seemed that he was frightened of needles. And his facial expressions just made it worse as he tried to hide it, but he was failing miserably and he didn't even know that I was watching.

Jessica finished soon after and she smiled proudly at her work.

"All done," she told him while taking off her gloves, "The stitches will eventually dissolve so there's no need for you to worry about them ok? Only go get them checked if the wound opens again or if the stitches break. Nothing too strenuous either ok?" she told him assertively.

Minho nodded eagerly as he picked up his shirt. It was the one I'd planned on giving him last night before he'd passed out.

"Do you need help putting the shirt on?" Jessica asked and once again, I felt jealously clench my heart as she aided him in getting the shirt on. It'd been me that close to him last night.

Once they were done, Minho hopped off of the table and began to walk to me, smiling brightly.

I felt the jealousy dissipate at this.

"Thank you very much Jessica," I said with a slight bow. Minho soon followed suit.

"It's a pleasure, but can I talk to you for a moment Krystal?"

I gulped. This is where I needed to explain myself.

"Can you wait for us outside?" I asked the male and he nodded, waving a quick goodbye to Jessica before he left the room.

"Yes?" I asked in a higher, nervous tone.

"He's cute!"

I hadn't been expecting that.

"Really, he's a keeper. You have my permission to date him," she grinned as she spoke in a hushed tone.

I simply stared.

"I was sceptical when you messaged me earlier that you were going to bring in some shady character, but this one is ok."

"... Thank you?" I breathed out, still trying to make sense of it in my head. I hadn't expected this reaction at all. Really, I would've thought she be scolding me by now, telling me that I'd invited a possible into my house. Not this, not these encouraging words.

"But now, I have some rounds to do... call me if he ever does anything ok?"

I couldn't say anything as Jessica then left the room.

Why was everything suddenly so upside down?

- - - - -

 

"You and your sister seem close?"

Minho and I were currently walking back to my and Sulli's apartment from the bus stop, almost the exact similar path I'd been taking yesterday when I found him.

"Sort of..." I half answered, "We haven't really known each other all that long. We're half sisters only and we lived apart for most of our lives. But when she moved to Seoul we got in touch and we've been staying in touch ever since."

"She's a good person," he replied and I felt my heart lurch. He was going to say that he was attracted to her, wasn't he?"

"Just like you."

Today was full of surprises.

"A good person?" I said more to myself than him, but Minho replied anyway.

"Not many people would take in someone like you did with me, much less treat their injuries and feed them."

Which is exactly why I did it.

But that didn't make me a good person.

The rest of our walked continued in silence, but it was a pleasant silence. But it was bittersweet too.

What would we do when we reached the apartment? Would Minho leave? After all, he was looking for someone wasn't he? I'm sure that meant he didn't want to stay with me when he could be looking for them instead.

Even though I'd grown attached to him in the one day that I'd known him, asking him to stay would be selfish.

I shivered at the thought, images trying to enter my mind.

I really needed to learn how to control my thoughts again.

"Krystal..."

Minho's soft tone entered my mind.

"Would you mind if I stayed another night?"

My eyes widened and I halted.

He wanted to stay another night?

Minho stopped a few feet ahead of me and turned to me, his face questioning my stop.

"Did I say something I wasn't supposed to?"

I shook my head, "I just didn't think you'd want to stay... I mean, you're looking for someone aren't you?"

Minho's lips curved into a smile, one almost as beautiful as the one from the bus earlier, "I am... but it's getting late and I don't really know the bus routes around here so..." he paused as he motioned for me to come towards him.

I obeyed.

"I'm sure the person can wait another day or so."

"Besides," he grinned, "You offered to make me a proper meal remember?"

I nodded and grinned.

That was all the convincing I needed.

 

- - - - - 

Whoo! Another update and it's a longish chapter =3 This is partially because I don't think I'll be able to update in the next two weeks T.T Ughh, lots of tests so hopefully this will be enough for a little bit >< Thank you for all the positive responses. I really adore everyone that comments and subscribes to this little story of mine <3