Tempt

The Selfless One

- - CHAPTER TWO

Tempt - - 

Minho was still asleep when I exited my bedroom early the next morning.

Well, it was understandable after all, I had a habit of waking up at around 6am, sometimes earlier, even when I had no need to. Sulli usually teased me, saying that something was wrong with my internal body clock and I wouldn't be surprised if something really was wrong.

I sighed as I ran a hand through my bed-styled locks and slowly padded my way to Minho's side. He moved into a more comfortable position during the night, but that'd dislodged the blanket and it was semi-cold this early in the morning. I tried to be quiet as gently pulled the blanket up. I took time to look at his wound too and I was pleased to find that it hadn't soaked the plaster yet, but we'd still have to go the doctor today. I'd call my sister later and arrange. She'd probably rant at me, but somehow, even though we'd only known each other for such a short amount of time, she understood me.

We did have the same father after all.

Once I'd pulled up the blanket to Minho's chin, I took a moment to observe his features in the soft light. He really, really was handsome and in this state, he seemed very peaceful. I felt happiness at this, usually unease could be seen when one slept, but his face was nothing but serene. I was glad that he deemed me 'safe'. His lightly sun-kissed skin was basically flawless and I was amazed. I'd never come across a person like him before and that was saying a lot as I'd been in a co-ed high school and I was currently in university.

I shook my head as I stood from my crouched position.

It would be really awkward if he woke up to me staring at him like that.

I quickly shuffled to the kitchen, which was only a few steps from where Minho slept, and proceeded to make myself coffee, quietly that is. I was extra cautious this time though because I wasn't sure whether he was a light sleeper or not. I didn't want to wake him, he needed to rest. Adrenaline took a lot out of your body and he needed to get it back.

Well, at least that's what I told myself.

Besides, I only had to leave for class in two hours from now. He'd surely be up by then, maybe even before then and I'd be able to take him to Jessica before class and he could go home after that.

I felt my heart pang and I frowned.

Of course he had to go home - he probably had friends and family that were worried about him. As much as I was enamoured by him, I couldn't keep him here.

Because that would be selfish.

I cringed as I said the word in my mind and felt my entire body rejecting the thought.

No, no, no.

I wouldn't keep him here.

I sighed as I sipped at my warm, milky drink and snuck a peak at the still sleeping man.

He was an enigma.

Last night, I hadn't managed to find out anything apart from his name and that he'd been cut by a knife. I didn't know how old he was, where he came from or even what he did. For all I knew, he could still be a criminal. He could even be an alien. I shook my head in amusement at that. Well, on the other hand, he had the features of a rich man's son. Really, his appearance would fit perfectly in that image. But then, would he have been bleeding in an alleyway in a less affluent part of Seoul if he was?

He could also be a university student from the looks of it. He only looked around 21, 22ish. I could imagine him as a student too, one that studied something he was really passionate about. I smiled bitterly. He was a lucky one then.

With a soft sigh I padded back to my bedroom. If I allowed myself to think anymore, I wouldn't have any brain power left for class today.

 

When I'd finished getting dressed, Minho still wasn't awake and I was late.

I didn't try to be quiet as I rushed around the apartment gathering all the things I'd need for class. My bag was strewn in one corner while some of my books were in another. It was a wonder Minho hadn't woken up and I even went to go check if he was still breathing once. Luckily, he was, but something had seemed strange.

However, I didn't have the time to figure out what as I rushed to find my shoes. In Sulli's rush to find her own shoes, she'd thrown mine about too.

Then, with only twenty minutes until class started I raced to the door and opened it. But, I couldn't leave without one last glance at Minho as I shut the door.

I could've sworn I saw his one eye flicker open and closed before a grin briefly curved his lips.

It must've been my imagination.

 

- - - - -

 

Accounting was quite honestly one of the most boring subjects on this earth, well in my opinion at least. It was unnecessarily complicated and 'fancy'.

This wasn't the right attitude to have towards it though, because it was the major part of the degree I was studying. Yes, I was studying to be an accountant one day.

Why? Especially if I didn't like it?

Well, my mother and stepfather... they'd taken me in after my dad had died and I was grateful to them for that because financially, they weren't too well off. Stepfather's business hadn't been doing well and the economy had been in a recession, yet they'd still  taken me in and paid for my school fees, clothes and everything else I'd needed. Sure, my father had left me some money, but a lot of it had gone to my sister's med school fund. I didn't mind though, she deserved it more than me. And now, I felt a hugely indebted to my mother and stepfather and that's why I'd decided to study accounting. so that I'd easily be able to repay everything.

I sighed as the lecturer explained financial statements to the class. I'd learnt this in high school already, so I tended not to pay attention at times like these. And I hadn't been late, I'd managed to walk in just as the lecturer his laptop. I'd even managed to talk to my sister on the way here. She had time later to see Minho, but the conversation prior to that had been a very suspicious one as she knew Sulli was gone for the week so she'd questioned me as to who my 'friend' was that needed medical help. I'd only given her a vague answer and while she'd agreed to help, she wanted answers.

Now, I just needed to think of a way to make the story sound less... well... absurd.

And I'd been unsuccessful so far.

Well, I still had a few hours to think of one since I had class until around 3pm and it was only 11am now. That depressed me as I resisted the urge to bang my head against my desk.

I sighed as I ran a hand through my loose locks. I couldn't let myself fall into this thinking. Yes, I might dislike accounting, but that didn't matter. I was doing this for the good of others and honestly, that was all that mattered.

 

- - - - -

 

I was half expecting everything of value to be gone from the apartment when I arrived back and half expecting it to be even dirtier than what it'd been. Yes, I'd half expected Minho to have left with everything that he could sell. And yes, the other half had been expecting to walk into the after effects of a hurricane. I had imagined Minho like a dog rampaging around the place to find something he wasn't looking for.

I really hadn't been expecting to come home to a clean, mess free apartment with floors that sparkled.

I think I stood by the door for a full ten minutes, simply staring at the cleaned apartment. It was only when Minho, now with a shirt on, came into view that I remembered how to move.

"Welcome home," he said sweetly as I shut the door behind me, "I hope this is ok? I wasn't sure how you like to do things, so I tried my best not to move things around too much. I also wasn't sure which clothes belong to you and which belonged to you roommate so I just folded it all and put it on your bed- are you ok?"

No, I wasn't ok.

Tears began to well in my eyes as I listened to him talk and the concern lacing his tone at the end simply made it worse.

I only had one thing to say.

"Why?"

Minho tilted his head to the side in confusion, "Why? Isn't this what people do to repay kindness?" he asked softly, "You bandaged my wound last night and let me stay here so this is the least I can do to say thank."

His smile at the end caused the first tear to drop.

I hastily wiped it and its trail away as I tried my best not to let more fall, but he wasn't making it any easier.

I wasn't used to people doing things like this for me and it felt foreign. I wasn't sure if I liked this foreign feeling either. I wasn't used to my heart tingling in this manner and it was uncomfortable.

Therefore, I did what I did best.

"Are you hungry?" I asked with a forced smile as I wiped my eyes, "I left without leaving anything for you and I'm sorry about that."

Minho frowned for a moment as observed me, his eyes showing his uncertainty, "Actually..." he began while placing a hand on his stomach, "I would like that." And then he grinned.

I felt relieved by this and I nodded, "Is there anything in particular you'd like?" I asked as he followed me to the kitchen.

"Do you have ramyeon?" he asked brightly as he leaned on the counter.

"Ramyeon?" I questioned. While I loved eating ramyeon, it hadn't been an answer I'd been expecting. It was such a simple dish to make, "Are you sure?"

He nodded.

"I can make proper food, I promise," I reinforced, "I'm a good cook."

He shook his head, "Another time."

Without anything else to say, I gave up.

"Well then, ramyeon it is," I said while retrieving the packet from the cupboard. I really was amazed. Most people I knew would ask for a proper meal, not something they could make themselves. Every time I asked Sulli this question, she'd begin listing a nine course meal.

I was beginning to think that Minho was an alien.

"How's your cut?" I questioned him as I put the water to boil.

"It's tender today and I can't really move my shoulder too much," he replied while opening the packet, "But it's a dull ache, not as searing as yesterday. The cream you put on is really helping." He then emptied the contents of the packet into the pot.

I stood motionless as he did that, unsure of what to do since I wasn't used to someone helping me whenever I made food.

"Work goes faster when more than one person works, doesn't it?" Minho asked, as though he'd sensed my confusion.

I could do nothing but nod.

"I managed to get you an appointment with my sister," I spoke as we waited for the water to boil and also so that I wouldn't get lost in my thoughts, "It's for later today so as soon as you finish eating, we can go."

"Thank you," he replied, "How was your class?"

"Average..." I mumbled in response, wanting to tell him 'boring' but knowing not to venture into those thoughts.

"What do you study?"

"Accounting."

"Ah really?" he asked in surprise, "I didn't figure you as the accounting type..." he trailed as he blinked.

I raised my eyebrows at this, "I don't look like an accountant?"

"Nope," he answered without hesitation, "Not at all."

This fascinated me and I bit my bottom lip, preventing myself from asking-

"Then what did you think I do?" I didn't want to ask that.

A soft smile curved his lips, "Something more creative really," he paused as he turned the stove off, "Maybe a writer... or even a dancer."

My eyes widened as my heart clenched. I instantly regretted asking him that question as forbidden thoughts began to probe my mind.

No Krystal.

We can't go there.

I shook my head as I focused on taking the pot off of the stove.

"I'll get you some chopsticks ok?" I said as I directed him towards the small dining table. He sensed my change and obeyed and for this I was grateful.

I didn't want to talk about the topic we'd brought up.

After all, why tempt yourself with something you can never have? 

 

- - - - -

Well, here's the next chapter :3 I hope you all enjoyed. It wasn't as long as I intended, but it's getting late and I want to get this out^^ I hope everything is ok? And thank you so so much for your wonderful words. They make my day! And yay! Poster!