Thank You

The Selfless One

CHAPTER FIFTEEN - -

- - thank you

"Krystal, don't you want to come here for a moment?"

My nine year old self raised my eyebrows as my dad's voice coming from his study. It was late already and he was usually working now and never wanted to be disturbed. I sighed as I climbed out of bed and began padding my way to his study. It took me some time because I had to climb down the stairs, but hopefully daddy wouldn't mind.

I began to wonder what he wanted - he never usually called for me when he had work to do.

"Yes dad-

"Happy birthday Krystal."

My eyes widened as I stood in the doorframe. There, in front of me was my dad, along with a wonderful looking cake that had exactly nine candles in it. My dad smiled tenderly at me as he beckoned for me to come closer.

My feet moved before I told them too and then, they broke into a run.

I crashed into my father, my head barely reaching his waist as I hugged him. I hadn't been expecting this at all. Usually, I had to remind him that it was my birthday. Not that I minded because then, he'd call for takeout and he'd spend some time with me. The next day I'd have a gift too.

Slowly, I felt his hands on my shoulders and I looked up, quickly wiping the tear streaks from my eyes.

"We're a little early since it's five to midnight, but that's ok right?" he asked sheepishly and I nodded.

A smile then broke out on his lips and he motioned towards the cake, "Then come, time to make a wish and blow out your candles." I nodded eagerly and let go of him before walking to where the cake was. The table was a little taller than me and I frowned.

How was I supposed to-

My dad answered my question as he picked me up. I was so surprised that I squeaked, something he laughed at, and I clung onto him.

"I'm so glad I have a feather as a daughter," he teased me as he crouched down so that I was level with the cake. The flames danced before me and I felt lightness entering my heart.

I knew exactly what to wish for.

I tightly shut my eyes and prayed hard.

... Please, let us have more moments like this.

Please.

And then I blew the candles out.

 

 

 

The sky was grey today and it almost looked... sad.

I liked to believe that it was because it missed my dad too.

No one spoke as Donghae drove us to the graveyard, not even Minho as he sat beside me with his hand on top of mine. I don't think that anyone knew what to say really, especially after yesterday's drama. Though, no one had spoken to me about Sulli and I was glad. I was still trying to process our fight and everything that Jessica had said afterward.

I sighed as my free hand fidgeted with the hem of the black dress I wore. Jessica had lent it to me since I'd stayed over last night. And since Donghae seemed to have half of his wardrobe at Jessica's house, he'd given Minho something to wear for the occasion. And despite the grim situation, Minho looked handsome as usual. It was something that brightened my mood somewhat.

The drive to the graveyard was a long one, since it was out of the city and in a more secluded place. It was a very peaceful area and I was glad that my dad got to rest in a calming place. He'd had such a busy life after all. When I was younger, I'd almost hated the busy part of his life. But now that I was older, I understood it better.

I understood why people kept themselves busy.

They did it so that they couldn't think - think about everything that was happening in their lives. Work was a good distraction from life.

I used it as an excuse to keep myself focused on not being selfish... or at least what I'd perceived to be selfish. I'd used it as an excuse to keep myself focused on working hard to become an accountant, to be nice to Sulli so that I wouldn't get to the point of thinking what I really wanted in life.

I sighed as I leaned further into the seat and turned my head so that I could look out of the window at the same time.

Dad, is this why you worked so much? So that you wouldn't have to think so much? But why? What didn't you want to think about? Mom? Was it me even? Well, I hope not. I hope that I managed to make your days a bit brighter.

I spoke to him like he could reply and I really wished that he could.

I think he would be the only one that would be able to understand my situation and my dilemma.

Maybe, he'd even be able to help me because I was still torn. Minho, you just had to come along, didn't you? Not that I really minded, but his appearance had complicated things slightly and it didn't help that my exams had really just made me frustrated.

While studying, my mind had wandered to so many other things that I could've been doing at that moment... so many other things that I could be studying for.

I'd always been really good at banishing those thoughts, but not anymore.

 And now, this fight with Sulli was making me even more unwilling to continue on the path I was. I mean, my parents would be fine without my contribution right?

... right?

 

 

"Well... we're here."

Donghae's tone wasn't exactly excited as he turned off the car's ignition and I didn't blame him.

"Thanks," Jessica said softly was she kissed him on the cheek once before climbing out the car. I was grateful to him too for bringing us here. Usually, I'd have to catch three buses before getting close to here and then I'd walk the rest of the way. Him driving definitely helped.

We all exited the car wordlessly and Jessica and I took the lead in walking to our dad's specific grave. I shivered as we walked and I knew that it was only half because I was cold. A graveyard always seemed cold... and ominous.

Our party walked silently passed the numerous other graves and I spotted fresh flowers outside of some. I even saw one or two other people in the graveyard with us with downcast faces.

No one enjoyed visiting this place.

Our dad's grave was at the end of the graveyard, nearby a grove of trees. I really liked it there because it was a quiet and calm place. My dad really deserved that after all the stress in his life.

"Hey dad," I heard Jessica murmur once we got close enough. She let go of my hand and walked ahead before kneeling down before the stone. I inhaled sharply as I followed, kneeling next to her. From the corner of my eye I could see her struggling to hold back her tears. I felt the same.

"We came to visit together," I said next, almost in a whisper, "Your two daughters have found each other." I was sure he'd be happy that we were here together. Because Jessica's mother and dad had split up on anything but friendly terms, he didn't see my sister much. Therefore, I'd seen her even less. But now that we were both older, we'd found each other. Her mother even started liking me.

"And we brought two other people that are special to us," Jessica added while briefly looking over her shoulder, "We hope that you'll like them." Donghae and Minho stood a few metres away in order to give us some space and alone time. But Jessica was right, they were special to us and I would want my father to meet Minho. I'm sure he'd like him.

"But how are doing dad?" I spoke this time, "I hope everything in heaven is just as they say it is and that you aren't working too hard on something or another." Jessica nodded, completely understanding my feeling. She too had experienced our father's busy life and schedule. She said that her mom told her that was also a reason she'd divorced him.

"We're both doing well. I finished another year of university and Jessica is getting closer to becoming a fully fledged doctor," I continued, "And now, it's holidays so I finally have some time off."

"The hospital is also quietening down a little. But I know that on Christmas Day we'll have a few drunkards walking in," Jessica groaned while rolling her eyes, "Send me some patience ok?"

I liked how she spoke to him so easily, so naturally. I inhaled, "I had a fight with Sulli. You probably know all about it already, but I don't know what to do. Jessica gave me some good advice, but my heart is still torn..." My sister soothingly ran her hand over my back.

I shook my head, biting back a few tears, "But everything will be ok in the end... I also met a boy dad. One that I really like and he was partially the reason why Sulli and I fought... but I'm glad I chose him." I wished that Minho could hear me saying this.

"I approve of him too dad," Jessica piped in, "So I'm doing my sisterly duty. I also found someone who I'm very happy with dad. He has a very heart warming smile and he gives your daughter a lot of strength."

"I approve of him," I piped in this time and Jessica gave me a timid smile, "I'm doing my sisterly duty too."

"We'd like you to meet them dad," and with that, Jessica motioned for the two boys to step forward. They seemed surprised at first, but came eagerly soon after. Minho knelt next to me while Donghae next to my sister.

"It's nice to meet you Mr Jung," Donghae said respectfully and Minho repeated.

"See dad, they're very handsome," Jessica said to lighten the mood and it worked.

"Mr Jung, I first want to say something and I speak for the both of us," Minho began and I looked at him curiously.

He inhaled and I saw that glimmer of nervousness again, "I'll look after your daughter. I can promise you that so you never have to worry about that." He seemed so brave after that, even focusing his eyes on my dad's headstone like he could really see him.

"Minho..." I whispered, not really knowing what else to say.

The boy in question looked at me and smiled so sweetly that I couldn't help but smile back.

Thank you dad.

Somehow, I know that you helped send this boy to me.

 

- - - - -

 

"Thank you for coming with today." I told Minho later once we'd gone back to Jessica's place. As soon as we'd gotten back we'd split up with Donghae and Jessica going to her room while Minho came with me to the guest room.

"Are you sure I wasn't intruding?" he asked as he sat on the bed next to me. I shook my head.

"I was glad you were there really," I reassured him, "I always wanted to introduce my boyfriend to my dad." My cheeks flushed at the mention of Minho really being my boyfriend.

I was surprised when he even gained a light shade of colour on his cheeks, "I hope I made a good impression then."

"I'm sure you did," I said before lightly kissing his cheek. It was the first time I'd initiated contact really and I was proud of myself when his cheeks darkened. I see now why he liked making me blush so much.

"I sort of heard what you said last night too."

Minho's eyes widened, "You weren't sleeping?" he asked quickly and I shook my head, "I... I thought you were..."

"I was just about to. A few seconds later and you would've been safe," I teased, "Care to elaborate?"

He seemed like a deer stuck in headlights, "Are you mad?"

I deadpanned, "Why would I be mad?"

"Because... I don't know..." he exhaled, "But... well... you know how my parents asked me to be back for Christmas?"

I vaguely recalled him telling me that.

"Well... I wanted you to come with me if that's ok? I wanted to take you somewhere that wasn't here... because it seems like you've been through a lot recently."

I didn't reply.

Instead, I threw my arms around him.

I could express my appreciation for him right now.

"I'd love to," I managed to tell me as I held him closer, feeling how he wrapped his arms around me.

"Thank you."

And I had never been more thankful before. 

 

And more fluff! Everyone asked for some, so here xD I hope I wrote everything well :3 Sorry for the delay in updating and that this was a slow paced chapter but next one will be a bit more interesting ^^

<3