Chapter five

Rescued Intentions

            “…Dong…Donghae? Is that you, son?” A suspicious man’s voice called, breaking the boys from their embrace as they turned around to face the front of the door.

 

            “Master!” The brunet exclaimed, his sad eyes lighting up as he jumped on the older man.

 

            “I heard voices, so I came to look if there were bandits, but I never thought I would see you…” The blacksmith said, his eyes growing teary. The man was older than the both of them by many years, his skin stained with the black of coal and brown of dirt, giving him an aged appearance. Greying hair and short stubble on his sagging chin. Although his arms were strong, revealed through the vest he was wearing, the large belly showed many trips to the tavern.

 

            “Oh you can’t believe how glad I am to see you,” Donghae began, letting go of the man and stepping inside the cabin. “where is mother?”

 

            “She’s resting up, poor thing couldn’t take very well when I told her about you.”

 

            “And what did you tell her? I’m perfectly fine, just take me to her now please.”

 

            “There, there, she’ll be asleep by now, why don’t we sit down for now.” The blacksmith’s eyes travelled to Kyuhyun in the doorway, who had been staring fondly at the two of them. “You can tell me about what happened, and who that young man is.”

 

            Donghae spared a glance at the seventeen year old, motioning him to come in, although somewhat reluctant. Kyuhyun walked inside slowly, trailing behind the two men as they made their way to a small room with a large table and four chairs around it. Sitting on one of the wooden chairs across from the brunet, he watched silently until it was his turn to speak.

 

            “I managed to talk the prince into sparing my life, for the price of my service. I am to be his personal manservant from now on.” Donghae explained to the blacksmith beside him. “This is Kyuhyun, he has brought me here on order of the prince.”

 

            “It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir, your workshop is quite something.” Kyuhyun spoke politely, shocking the brunet somewhat.

 

            “Thank you, I take pride in my work, as does Donghae. May I ask, are you a knight?”

 

            “Not yet, I’ve known the prince since I can remember, and am training to be a knight by his side one day.”

 

            “I see you look highly upon him then.”

 

            “Although sometimes he can be an arrogant bastard, he has his strong points, I hope to see him turn into a wonderful king.”

 

            “Like that’ll ever happen.” Donghae whispered, although the red head seemed to catch it, and shot an unreadable look at him. Meeting his gaze, the two stared at each other for a few minutes while the silence continued on.

 

            Sensing the tense atmosphere, the old man cleared his throat, standing up. “I’ll get your mother now, son.”

 

            Donghae nodded, smiling at the man who he calls his master. Once he was gone, the two youngsters where left alone to each other. Things were already awkward and stressful since the argument they had had. Neither of them wanted to speak first, even if the red head had tried to apologize. I guess not everyone can be happy with just a hug. He thought, maybe I should kiss him too?

 

            “Why are you shaking your head?” Donghae finally asked, frowning at the weird look on the boy.

 

            “O-Oh, no reason.” He said, shaking his head one last time. “So, where is your dad, you haven’t mentioned him I don’t think.”

 

            “…He,” gulping, the nineteen year old wondered if he should tell the other. It wasn’t like they were close, the two of them were complete strangers. “isn’t here.” Maybe some other time.

 

            “Oh. Alright.”

 

            “Donghae, sweety? Is that you?” A feminine voice called from the doorway. A frail woman who looked to be in her forties was standing with the help of the blacksmith. Her cheeks were sunken in, and a layer of sweat was visible on her skin.

 

            “Mother, oh I missed you.” Donghae said, springing from his chair and wrapping his arms around the woman. Delicately holding her in his arms, the brunet kissed her cheek, whispering soft words in her ear.

 

            “My son.” She said, a smile gracing her thin lips.

 

            “It’s alright mom, I’m here now. Everything is going to be alright.” His voice cracked, and a few tears dropped from his eyes.

 

            “Now, now, don’t cry, my Donghae.” Her skinny hands came up to the boy’s brown locks. “Tell mother what’s been troubling you.”

 

           

 

 

            “When must you two leave?” The blacksmith asked Kyuhyun.

 

            “In the morning, the prince isn’t a patient man.” He replied, sipping from the wooden cup filled with water.

 

            “That soon? Are you sure you can’t stay longer?”

 

            “It’s his highness’s wishes, I’d love to do something but it’s out of my hands. As is the fact that Donghae must serve the prince from now until his sentence changes.”

 

            “I see, well, I’m just glad that he’s not dead, it would have killed his mother if he died.”

 

            “What exactly is wrong with her?”

 

            “She’s been sick like this for a year now. She used to be better, healthier, remaining her beauty, after the news, but suddenly she just can’t handle it anymore. What with Donghae being gone for so long, she’s been so alone.”

 

            Wondering what the man meant by ‘news’ and the upsetting state Donghae’s mother was in, Kyuhyun wanted to ask more. Still, there was something telling him not to, it would be invading privacy that didn’t want to be opened.

 

            That night, Donghae and Kyuhyun slept on the floor next to each other. It wasn’t the most comfortable, but it was only for a night. Shifting to his side, the red head stared at the brunet, who was still awake and staring at the ceiling.

 

            “Hey Donghae, can I ask you something?” Kyuhyun asks, resting his head on his hand.

 

            Donghae is silent for a moment, he had been deep in his thoughts, wondering about many different things. How life would be living as a servant. What would have happened had he not spoken out. What it would be like to be dead, no longer in the world of the living. Pondering over his fate, and if he was destined to become the personal servant of the prince. So far it hadn’t proven to be rewarding. Other than the handsome and kind knight named Siwon, he hadn’t met many nice people. Kangin was too loyal and serious, while Kyuhyun was childish and laid back. Prince Eunhyuk wasn’t any better than the knights, obnoxious, rude, idiotic, spoiled-

 

            “Yoo-hoo, Donghae? You in there?” Kyuhyun waved a hand in front of the elder’s face, snapping him out of his thoughts.

 

            “Sorry, what is it?” Donghae asked, finally realizing he had been asked a question.

 

            “What do you think of Hyukjae?” Donghae was caught off guard by the sudden question, his answer should have been obvious with the way he’s acted since he saw the royal man.

 

            “Are you just really dumb? Shouldn’t it be pretty clear how I think of prince Eunhyuk.”

 

            “Most people don’t like him, I know, but he’s really not that bad.”

 

            “You can think that about him, I’ll be here sleeping, trying to forget that I have to see the royal tomorrow.”

 

            Donghae turned around, showing his back to the younger. Kyuhyun sighed, flopping back down. Their minds were somehow thinking of similar things, what could have happened if the royal red head hadn’t met the younger brunet a few days ago. For starters, Kyuhyun would have never met the sweet lady who thanked him for saving her son’s life; nor would he have met the soft-hearted burly blacksmith.

 

            However, there was a thought in the back of the seventeen year old boy’s mind. It lingered there, barely daring to peak out and show itself. The thought, a bright idea, showing just a spark of hope for better days. Kyuhyun may be young, but he was smarter than his prankster self would lead on.

 

Something told him, that Donghae had a warm heart. A heart that infected others with his kindness, and made them want to change. The young boy believed that he could even make the sourest of bandits spare the lives of many. Even if he didn’t want to believe it, there it was plain and clear. This lead Kyuhyun to think that maybe Donghae could change how the prince sees things.

 

            Maybe the naïve brunet could bring happiness to the bitter twenty year old. In what way, he didn’t know, after all, it was just a thought. An idea that Kyuhyun hoped would be true. Even if as things were, neither of the two showed any respect or friendship for the other.

 

            Little did Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk, Donghae, or the rest of the kingdom know, that the small thought in the back of a boy’s head, would one day show to be the future of a great country. One with a merciful, strong, intelligent, brave, king and a loyal companion by his side.

 

 

Subscribe, Comment, Enjoy ^^