Chapter twelve

Rescued Intentions

            Eunhyuk paced back and forth in his chambers. He had been anxious ever since he had woken up and his servant had silently served him breakfast, changed his clothes, and drawn a bath for him. The boy had been oddly compliant with the prince’s orders, behaving almost exactly how a personal servant should. It was unsettling for the red head, to say the least.

 

 

            It had been almost two weeks since the prince had confessed to liking Donghae, and since then he has yet to receive an answer from the boy. It was like the event had never happened, the way the brunet acted made Eunhyuk feel as though kissing him was only a dream. Did…Did I actually dream the entire thing? Eunhyuk asked himself, pausing in his walk to ponder.

 

 

            “No way, definitely not a dream.” He said, shaking his head. The sensation of Donghae’s thin lips against his was too strong, the warmth that he felt from their two shared moments couldn’t be a simple dream.

 

 

            “What’s your problem today? Did baby Hyukkie have a nightmare?” Kyuhyun asked, speaking like a child and making different baby gestures as he appeared from the doorway.

 

 

            “, I’m older than you. By a lot.” Eunhyuk said, sighing as he sat down.

 

 

            “In years, in maturity, wisdom, and awesomeness, I am absolutely older.” Kyuhyun said, picking up an apple from the table to munch on.

 

 

            “Whatever, I have my perks when it matters.”

 

 

            “But seriously, what are you doing?”

 

 

            “Donghae. That ing bastard has me running a rut in the floor.” He hissed, kicking the floor in frustration.

 

 

            “Woah there, I thought you liked him? Coming to your senses that it will never work out? Wanna date me instead?” Kyuhyun asked, cheekily grinning.

 

 

            “Why would anyone in their right mind want to date a creep like you?” Eunhyuk spat back, his nerves more on edge due to the lack of response from his servant.

 

 

            “You’d be surprised, I actually have a fan club in the lower towns. Kyuhyun the Great and Mighty.”

 

 

            “Just because you’re good looking doesn’t mean people would want to go out with you. Once they get a see at how you really are, they’ll be packing their bags and escaping to another kingdom.”

 

 

            “You’re just jealous because the first person you like rejected you.”

 

 

            “He hasn’t rejected me! At least, I don’t think so…”

 

 

            “Aww, do you need a hug to make you feel better?” Kyuhyun asked, creeping closer and pulling the red head into a bear hug.

 

 

            Eunhyuk tried to push the young teen off of him, but the boy was stronger than him. Their limbs entangled as they burst into laughter and rolled around, somehow ending up in the middle of the prince’s bed. When the two were younger, they would often play with each other like this, not caring about any other problems and only focusing on their own fun.

 

 

            “Is this a bad time?” Donghae’s quiet voice asked from the doorway, his face a bright red when he saw Kyuhyun straddling Eunhyuk on the bed.

 

 

            “N-No! W-Wait…Donghae! What-t are you doing here?! W-We were j-just…” The prince stammered, “Get the off of me!” he then hissed at the surprised and evidently amused boy on top of him.

 

 

            “I think I-I’ll just come back later.” The brunet said, placing the laundry basket on the floor and slowly exiting the room.

 

 

            Cursing his best friend and the servant for the bad timing, Eunhyuk fixed his clothes as he hurriedly ran after Donghae. Kyuhyun smirked, figuring that he had just played a wonderful part in making the two get together.

 

 

            The prince quickly caught up to Donghae, one hand securely holding onto the boy’s tunic as he bent over to catch his breath. The brunet turned around and put a hesitant hand on the out of breath prince, waiting for him to calm down.

 

 

            “So, uh, Sire?” He asked, bending his head to look at the prince.

 

 

            Their eyes locked into a singular gaze, the prince closing his mouth and staring into the boy’s brown eyes. Before he could control his actions, Prince Eunhyuk grabbed Donghae by the hand and pulled him into a hidden alcove in the hallway. It was a small space stashed away from the hall and the two boys’ bodies were pressed against each other.

 

 

            Donghae nervously lowered his head, his cheeks flushing from the close proximity. Eunhyuk meanwhile, was busy gazing upon the brunet’s soft features. His thin lips and flustered behaviour, not to mention the ever red ears. It took all of his willpower to resist stealing another kiss from the younger boy.

 

 

            “Y-Yah…what are you d-doing?” Donghae asked, his voice weaker than he would have liked it to be.

 

 

            Donghae’s voice broke Eunhyuk out of his reverie. His thoughts suddenly becoming enraged as he remembered why he was so upset since that morning. It was one thing to leave a man waiting, it was another to kiss a man, taunt him with looks and be completely unaware of everything. After waiting for more than two weeks, Eunhyuk had finally reached his limit.

 

 

            The red head slammed one of his hands against the wall, making the younger flinch. He leaned his entire body closer, their chests pressing together and Donghae could have sworn his heart would have jumped out right then.

 

 

            “You are aware that I am a prince? I am royalty, older than you, and have tolerated your terrible serving abilities for almost three weeks.” Eunhyuk stated, listing things on his fingers.

 

 

            “And? So what if you’re all that, it doesn’t mean anything if you’ve got a bad personality.” Donghae replied, gritting his teeth as the red head leaned his head forward, his hot breath tingling the teen’s face.

 

 

            “So, you should respect me and give your answer. You cannot avoid it forever, I have admitted my feelings for you, now it is your turn. Unless you would like to be forever known as a coward.”

 

 

            The brunet grit his teeth. The day that he feared had come. No matter how many times he would talk with Ryeowook and Amber, none of the preparations or advice could prepare him for the actual moment.

 

 

            “I-I don’t know w-what you’re talking about.” He said, turning his head to the side.

 

 

            “Don’t play dumb with me.” Eunhyuk hissed, banging his fist against the wall again. “, Lee Donghae you are one sick bastard to play with me like this.”

 

 

            “Me? I’m the sick bastard? Really? Not you, who kissed me twice, not once, and confessed to me in only a few days? Because the way I see it, you’re just a player who wants to try it with men.”

 

 

            “Is that how you see me? I am sincerely hurt. Besides, it’s not like you didn’t enjoy the kisses. Another and I’d have you for me to you.”

 

 

            “See! You’re just another dog from the streets, ready to have with a goat if you could!”

 

 

            “Then what does that make you? I like you, I may even love you. Hell, I haven’t even told my father that I loved him since I was ten! You really think that I’m just some royal scoundrel?”

 

 

            Donghae was silent, he had acted on the spur of the moment, a surge of adrenaline that had rushed through him made him say things that weren’t true. The brunet had come to terms with his feelings after being around the prince for a while. He now understood that the cold hearted brat of a prince only had trouble opening his heart to strangers. Eunhyuk may come off as a bad person, but when you dug deep enough he was actually a little boy who couldn’t trust anyone, he didn’t even know right from wrong.

 

 

            Although in the few weeks that the brunet had been around him, there had been a large change. The red head didn’t kill or banish as many people in a day, and he was working on his manners. What the brunet had said to him had got the dust covered gears turning, and the twenty year old was realizing his mistakes and trying to make up for them. When he went out for his weekly trip to the lower towns, he would stop to ask about the townsfolk nicely, instead of ordering them to bow down and grovel for their prince.

 

 

            Donghae could see that change, now it seemed that it was his turn to do something. Donghae could either say his true feelings, or he could hope that everything would blow over with time.

 

 

            “No.” He said, closing his eyes tightly.

 

 

            “…No what? Y-You don’t like me?” Eunhyuk asked, although he had suspected being rejected, he didn’t know that it would hurt so much. He felt like someone had just punched him in the gut. It wasn’t like everyone was supposed to fall madly in love with him…

 

 

            “No, you’re not a bad person. When you asked me the other time, I didn’t answer because I really believed that you were.” Donghae began.

 

 

            “So…you do like me?” The prince asked, suddenly hopeful.

 

 

            “Shut up, we’ll get to that later.” He said, glaring at Eunhyuk before closing his eyes again. “When I was little, my father passed away, I was only three so it was too confusing for me to understand. He was killed in a war, but he had already served his time on the front lines. For some reason, your king sent him back out. Ever since then, I’ve hated all nobility. My mother and I had hard times surviving together, I had to live with my master for a few years, learning how to earn a living at a young age.

 

 

            The people who were born into royalty or were of noble blood had everything they could ever want, and yet it didn’t seem like enough. They take and take from person after person, from a bag of rice to a life.”

 

 

            Eunhyuk remained quiet, he didn’t know what to say. He had known of many people who had hard lives when they grew up, Kyuhyun for example, but the way that Donghae told his tale rendered the man speechless.

 

 

            “I’ve always thought of you people terribly, but I realised recently that not everyone had a good life. Hearing the stories of my new friends before they came to the castle made me waver. Although my hate for the king who took away my father’s life is still strong, I don’t think all nobles are bad people. Like you.”

 

 

            “I’m sorry about your father, I didn’t know something like that had happened…” Eunhyuk hesitantly spoke, his hand slowly lowering from the wall.

 

 

            “How could you have known? Now you do, so don’t worry about it, nothing can be changed.” Donghae said. “And about that confession, my answer.”

 

 

            “I-It’s a-alright…I understand, I guess.” The prince answered, backing up as far as he could from the other. As long as I don’t ing cry my eyes out here, it’ll be fine, he thought, clenching his fists.

 

 

            “I like you too, you bastard.” Donghae whispered, standing on his tiptoes and pressing his lips against Eunhyuk’s plump ones. A warm and innocent kiss that sprung Eunhyuk’s eyes wide open.

 

 

            Slowly, the prince closed his eyes. His hand travelling up the brunet’s arm, the other pulling on Donghae’s nape, pressing their bodies together. The teen in return, placed both his hands on Eunhyuk’s shoulders, squeezing them tightly as he moved his lips against the red head’s. Donghae nipped at the prince’s flesh, tasting the flavours of the man in front of him.

 

 

            Eunhyuk was in a daze, his mind was blurred and he couldn’t believe that he was actually kissing his first love. A warm feeling crept into his chest, building and building as he continued to the brunet.

 

 

           

 

 

            One week ago…

 

 

 

“Amber? Ryeowook? I-I think I l-like him.” Donghae said, shyly covering his eyes with his bangs as he lowered his head.

 

           

            “Seriously, oh my god!” Amber said, barely containing her voice.

 

 

            “So you finally admit it, good job. When did you realize?” Ryeowook asked, patting the older boy on the back.

 

 

            “I don’t know, but there’s just something about him that I can’t get a hold of. I want to figure him out, how he can be mean and not think it’s wrong, yet the next minute become a sweet man. Whenever he’s around, my heart starts to beat and I don’t know what to say, it’s like I can’t even breathe sometimes.”

 

 

            “That’s called love, honey.” Ryeowook smiled. “It’s over for you now.”

 

 

            “I guess, I’m really falling for the prince…”

 

Subscribe, Comment, Enjoy ^^