Chapter two

Rescued Intentions

   Cold... Dark... Empty... Where am I? Donghae thought over and over, trying to focus on his surroundings as much as his impaired vision could handle. At least the wonder of where he was, kept his mind off of the aching pain radiating from his body. He could tell that his face was swollen in different places, along with his aching stomach and bruised ribs. Not to forget the massive headache throbbing through his head.

 

   I guess it's a good thing to feel pain. Means I'm not dead. The brunet tried to chuckle at his attempt at humour, although his laugh ended in a mix of gurgles and groans. Donghae opened his mouth and spit blood to the cold stone floor. Grimacing at the metallic taste it left in his mouth.

 

   Running through what he could hear or see, the boy tried to figure out where he was. It was cold and dark, other than his breathing, he could only hear faint sounds of metal scarping on stone, and water dripping. Given the fact that he had gotten into a fight with the prince, and was still alive, his best bet would be the royal dungeons.

 

   The royal dungeons weren't the greatest of tourist attractions, harbouring kingdom criminals due for execution being the main case. Small town thieves and tiny crimes wasn't the type of thing to land you in the dungeons, those were more directed to a town jail. The dungeons were for large crimes, murders, assassination, and the like. Guarded by hundreds of soldiers, and fifty feet directly under the palace stables, it was one of the safest places for a person to be. Easy to get in, hard to get out.

 

   Tugging at his hands and feet, he tried to get free of the metal cuffs that chained his limbs to the floor and wall. His upper body was leaning against the damp stone wall, his arms hanging in the air by heavy chains. His legs were chained together, although he could move them about slightly.

 

   I am not dying in here. I can't.

 

   Just as he set his mind on finding a way out of there, maybe sweet talking a guard, his eyes caught a glimpse of a light. It was dim, slowly bobbing its way up and down, as whoever carried it came further. Donghae shifted uncomfortably in his spot, pulling down on his chains to lift him upwards by just a bit.

 

   As the burning torch came further, Donghae could make out three figures. He could guess who two of the figures were, and he just hoped that the third wasn't who he thought it could be. A little closer, and Donghae craned his neck to get a better look at the men.

 

   “You there, peasant, are you awake?” A familiar voice bellowed, Donghae recognized the raccoon like man from earlier. Kangin, was his name?

 

   “Yeah, yeah. I'm up.” Donghae mumbled, groaning as his eyes were not used to the light that now illuminated his cell.

 

   “Good, we'll be taking you then.” A different, unfamiliar voice said. The brunet turned his gaze towards the third of the men, a tall red haired boy, who looked even younger than Donghae himself.

 

   The handsome man from before, who Donghae guessed was called Siwon, the name he heard before he passed out, came forward to the metal bars. He started to unlock the cell and the door swung open, inviting the three of them inside. Siwon knelt down in front of Donghae and looked at him with what the brunet guessed was concern. Which was weird of the knight to feel concerned over someone who had previously hurt the prince.

 

   “Kyuhyun, do you have the keys to the cuffs?” The knight in front of him asked, turning his head towards the young boy.

 

   “Yeah, catch.” The boy threw a ring of keys at Siwon, the man catching them easily.

 

   Donghae gulped as soon as the black haired man got closer to him. A strange nervous feeling bubbled inside him when his face was just inches away from the others chest. As soon as his chains had been done and Siwon backed away, the brunet let out a breath of air that he didn't know he was holding.

 

   “Hurry up, Siwon. We have to get back before His Lordship gets upset.” Kangin said gruffly, stomping his foot in emphasis.

 

   “Oh yes, we wouldn't want our little Eunhyukkie to have a temper tantrum.” The boy, Kyuhyun, said mockingly, crossing his arms and rolling his eyes. To which the older knight glared at him and hit the back of his head.

 

   “Just because you've known him for a while, doesn't mean you can just call him like that.” Kangin said.

 

   “Not just a while, since I can remember. Heck, I'm probably his best friend.” The red head said.

 

   Kangin was about to respond back, when Siwon spoke first. “Alright, that's enough you two. Your arguing isn't speeding anything up.” With that, he pulled Donghae upwards and pushed him forwards.

 

   Stumbling, Donghae ended up in between Siwon at the back, and Kangin at the front, just beside Kyuhyun. The taller boy smiled at him and draped an arm over his shoulders.

 

   “So, you the kid who beat up the prince?” He asked, smirking.

 

   “He started it,” Donghae mumbled, adding, “aren't you more of a kid than me?”

 

   “Well, you're not wrong there!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, snickering loudly, and patting Donghae on the back. Didn't expect him to hear that...

 

   “Stop fooling around.” Kangin demanded, turning his head slightly.

 

   “I like the guts this one has, be a shame to see him go.” Kyuhyun said, closing his mouth after, although the arm remained around Donghae's shoulder.

 

   What the red head had said brought Donghae back to reality. He then remembered where he was and what would happen to him. Assaulting a noble, was consequence for punishment, usually the case was execution. Punching the prince, now that definitely called for death.

 

   Pushing away from Kyuhyun's arm, Donghae hit his back against an empty cell that wreaked of piss and blood. His eyes were wide and scared, his body trembling slightly. Breathing heavily, he looked down, gulping and shaking his head to get rid of the fear he felt. I won't die here. I can't.

 

   In a few seconds, there were hands grasping tightly to his arms. Looking up, Donghae set his eyes upon each of the men in front of him, and opened his mouth to speak.

 

   “You're telling me that I'll die?” Donghae asked.

 

   “It's the only logical punishment.” Kyuhyun said, shrugging his shoulder like this happened all the time.

 

   “Just come along nicely and it might not hurt so much.” Kangin said, his voice stern.

 

   “Isn't there any other way? I'll do anything, just not death.” Donghae said, shaking his head.

 

   “Sorry kiddo, that's completely up to the prince.” Siwon said this time, although his voice was flat, his eyebrows were knitted in worry.

 

   “Then let me talk to him. If I'm going to die anyway, at least let me try to plead my case.” The brunet tried again, his eyes showing determination.

 

   Siwon and Kyuhyun seemed to nod at the suggestion, looking at the larger man for confirmation. For a few seconds, Kangin wouldn't budge, frowning and shaking his head. Donghae turned his attention towards the man, pulling out his killer puppy dog eyes and pouting to add to it. This seemed to do the trick, as the man threw his hands in the air and shouted “Whatever!”

 

   Inwardly cheering, Donghae got back in line and walked the rest of the way with the three men.

 

 

   They were inside the royal palace, just outside the prince's chambers. Donghae turned his head from side to side, taking in his expensive surroundings. It would most likely be the only time he would get to witness such elegant things, never even having dreamed of such bright colours.

 

   Gold picture frames with portraits of previous kings, queens, and nobles, hung on shiny marble walls. Stone pillars lined the hall, holding statues of armless, bodiless men with stern expressions. Candlelit chandeliers hung from the ceiling, bringing light to the long corridor that stretched for what seemed like miles. The brunet could have sworn he counted at least thirty doors; leading into who knows where.

 

   “Just be careful with what you say, he has a very short temper.” Siwon said to Donghae, referring to the prince. Without saying anything, Donghae nodded, gulping in nervousness of what he was about to do.

 

   Kangin and Siwon pushed the giant wood doors open, revealing a large and magnificent bedroom. Kyuhyun chuckled as he saw the dumbfounded expression on Donghae's face. Oh my god. How can someone even own such a bedroom? The brunet wondered to himself, gawking as he eyed the room.

 

   “Enough of that, go in already.” Kangin said grumpily, shoving Donghae in with his foot.

 

   Stumbling inside, Donghae peered around, looking for a certain red head. His eyes moved from the expensive furniture to the big double bed at the back wall, his already low respect for royals diminishing almost completely as he realized the room probably cost a million times his entire house.

 

   “Who is it?!” A loud voice called, undoubtedly belonging to the prince.

 

   “My Lord, someone has a request to make. He's here to speak with you.” Siwon spoke.

 

   “Who the hell is it that you brought him here?” Just as soon as the sentence was out, Donghae caught sight of the prince walking out of another room, most likely a bathroom.

 

   Choking on his air, Donghae averted his gaze once his eyes landed on the bare chest of His Highness. Clad in a white towel wrapped around his waist, skinny yet muscular torso and arms, the prince stood with dripping wet hair in the middle of the room.

 

   “What the ! Why is that ruffian here?” He screamed, his face turning red in possible anger or embarrassment.

 

   “He wanted to talk to you, get himself out of death row.” Kyuhyun said, a smirk appearing on his face, showing how much he was already enjoying this.

 

   “No way! That piece of is not getting out of punishment!” Nope, definitely out of anger. Donghae thought just as a pillow was thrown in his direction, hitting him hard in the face.

 

   Snapping his head to the direction of the prince, Donghae grit his teeth. “I'll do anything, just don't kill me.”

 

   “Nuh uh. Not happening.” The red head shook his head, crossing his arms and glaring at the brunet.

 

   “I'll make you a better sword; you can beat me however much you want; you can order me around; I'll do whatever it takes.” Donghae tried again, pleading his case.

 

   “You ing humiliated me in front of all those other peasants! No way am I going to go with what you say!” He yelled, his eyes darting around the room.

 

   “Please, I'll do anything.” Donghae continued to plead, “I'm sorry for what I did and you can humiliate me in front of whoever you like, and eye for an eye right?”

 

   Although the brunet's pleads were loud, none of it stuck to the prince's ears.

 

   “Just go away, I don't have anything more to say to a peasant like you.” He huffed, turning his back and plugging his ears.

 

   “Oh come on Eunhyuk, aren't you ending this too soon?” Kyuhyun asked, apparently not satisfied with just that. “He say's he'll do anything.”

 

   Instead of replying, like the sane thing to do, Kyuhyun got a pillow to the face in answer. Shortly after that, there was a barrage of items being flown in their direction. Pillows were the first to go, then it was different fruit and bread that had been on a plate, the plate flying just inches from Donghae's head. What a waste of food.

 

   “I don't like such a ruffian being in the same room as me! Get him out of here, and behead him!” Eunhyuk screamed, flailing his arms and looking at the three other men in the room.

 

   Siwon, Kangin, and Kyuhyun had no idea of what to do, it was apparent that neither Siwon or Kyuhyun was about to charge in and stop things. Leaving Kangin to the job, although he seemed to be more interested in the floor than what was going on. Probably in shock that he listened to a mere peasant over his lovely prince.

 

   “Fine! I'll just have to ing do it myself!” Yelled Eunhyuk, marching to his bedside table.

 

   No one understood what he meant or what was about to happen. What happened next, went by so quickly that it was all a blur. The sword came out of no where, swirling straight for Donghae. Blinking rapidly, it was as if time slowed down, and the boy did the only thing that came to his mind. Shifting his footing to the side, and lifting his hands in the air, Donghae wrapped his hand around the sword just in time to slow it down.

 

   Clenching his teeth and closing his eyes tightly, the brunet sealed his pain within him, saving it for when the adrenaline wore off. Opening his eyes again, he could see red. It wasn't just the red blood that dripped from his hand to the ground, but his vision was a blurry red, clouding his thoughts and urging on his next actions.

 

   “Okay, that's enough. Listen up here, you Royal Brat! I have had enough with you disrespectful bastards thinking that they can just go around killing whoever they want just because of some stupid reason! You infuriate me so much, and it doesn't help that I didn't even like your kind beforehand!

 

   I had good reason to do what I did yesterday. You insulted me, insulted my master, and you can't get away with that even if you are special by law. I'm not sorry that I punched you, and I probably never will be, but I am sorry that you have to be doing this to me. There are reasons that I cannot die here, not yet. Maybe in ten years you can come and kill me, but not now!

 

   My sick mother can't take care of herself, and there's no one else for her! I'm the only one who can keep her safe. So, I can't die at the hands of some selfish, self centred, arrogant, and foolish brat like you!” Donghae shouted, screaming his feelings out at the, now dumbfounded, prince.

 

   Breathing heavily to catch his breath, the brunet opened his eyes and stared at the wide black orbs in front of him. They were so full of different emotions, surprise, amazement and anger being the main ones. But the boy hoped that somewhere in there, the man in front of him had at least one nice feeling for him. Even if it was pity.

 

   “I'll do anything, it doesn't matter...just, just please. Don't kill me.” Donghae said once more, lowering his head and dropping the sword, the metal clanging on the tiled floor. 

 

Please comment and subscribe ^^