Chapter one

Rescued Intentions

   The air seemed thicker. The wind smelled worse. The birds didn't sing as heartily. The animals didn't make noise as usual. The hiss of the hot metal setting in water wasn't as alive and exhilarating. All in all, this day was different. He couldn't put a finger on what was so different with it. He wasn't that smart to be able to tell exactly what was wrong with this specific day, but he knew that it was definitely different.

 

   There was just something wrong with that day. Maybe it was because he woke up on the floor, with a pounding headache and a sore back. Maybe it was because he slept in and his mother had to shout to wake him up. Maybe it was because they were all out of feed for the chickens, and he would need to go out and buy more.

 

   Or maybe it was because he was going to be left alone at the blacksmith's for the first time. Well, the first time since he almost set the small shack on fire because he thought he saw a fish in the iron that was supposed to be setting.

 

   Nevertheless, something was definitely different to the 19 year old boy who was doing his daily job. As he continued to hammer away at the steel, his gut, his instincts, kept telling him that something was about to happen. Something that he wouldn't like. And that fact kept him in a daze for most of the day.

 

   “Yah! Donghae!” The man, who would often pass by on his way to the brothel, called the boy's name.

 

   “Huh?” Donghae asked, blinking and flicking his head upwards, away from the enticing red hot metal.

 

   “It's not safe to space out like that! You could hurt yourself.” The old man warned.

 

   “S-Sorry...I didn't notice.” Donghae mumbled, shaking his head and placing the hammer down. He inspected the metal, sensing it should harden before furthering. The brunet used a pair of tongs to place the metal into a basin of water. The sizzling hiss calming his mind and soul somewhat.

 

   “What's on your mind, boy?” The man asked again.

 

   “Just, I just feel like something is going to happen today...”

 

   “Yeah,” the man agreed, nodding his head, “you're going to lose a hand! That's what!”

 

   With that, the man left, leaving a softly grinning boy behind.

 

   “Don't wear yourself out today! I hear there were some women passing through town!” Donghae yelled after the man, “Don't get too drunk now!”

 

   He chuckled loudly as soon as he saw the man turn around and yell at him, making hand gestures that he should keep his mouth shut.

 

 

   Working at the blacksmith's was a very tiring job. He had to check that all the orders were taken care of, and deliver some if need be. He would polish each sword, hammer, axe, any finished item; making it shine enough to see yourself in it. Then he would have to move on and finish up anything that his boss had left him. When and if he had finally finished his chores, could he start working on the real deal. He would start by putting the iron into a forge, heating it to a point where he could then hammer at it to get its shape. After, he would take the shaped metal and wrap it in a horse clippings and sheep hair, cooling it down. Next, he used a grinder to make the edges and point of the sword, adding any engravings that are needed. Then, the sword needs to be heated at a high temperature and placed in a quenching tank. After that he repeats this process, but at a lower temperature. Finally, the sword is finished and can be polished up, ready for use.

 

   This all takes a long time, and a single sword could take days to perfect. But the result is what counts, and it is always fulfilling to see your masterpiece finished.

 

   Donghae placed the metal on top of an anvil, swinging his hammer back and forth. The heat was overwhelming, and he could feel that his shirt was getting wet with all his sweat. Setting the large hammer down, he pulled his shirt off, momentarily resulting in all the passing women to stop and stare. His toned muscles flexed in the hot summer air, twice the heat as he was working with hot iron. Picking up the hammer once again, he began his job, hardening the sword to be.

 

   “Oh Donghae, dear, didn't your teacher tell you not to work without a shirt?” An old woman hobbled up to the front of the shack, looking worriedly to the boy.

 

   “I'll be careful, granny Oh.” Donghae said, stopping to look up at the woman with a warm smile.

 

   “Omo, you are just the sweetest thing, aren't you.” The woman cooed, reaching out her hand to pretend to pinch his cheeks.

 

   “Have a good day, granny Oh.” Donghae told her as she waved her walking stick and continued on her way.

 

   It wasn't an unusual thing for people to stop and chat with the young boy. He was a kindhearted young man who never got annoyed or angry that his work had to be stopped. Donghae didn't mind talking to people as they passed, he was a very sociable person with many trusting friends. He was more glad that he didn't have to be within the bustling crowd of the streets. The many people bartering with each other to get a better deal. With all of the shops and vendors on the uneven, narrow streets, it was quite loud compared to the surprisingly quiet blacksmiths.

 

   Donghae would find himself enjoying the different sounds though. Loose chickens wandering around, squawking when they were stepped on; men and women yelling for the better deal; the rare horse and cart tracking supplies through the village; it was hard to get used to, but when you did, it was like music to your ears.

 

   He was enjoying overhearing a conversation between two old ladies gossiping. They were talking about how there was going to be a servant from the palace in the stocks. There was going to be many people going to throw rotten food at him, along with the few who want to know what's going on within the place.

 

   Of course, Donghae wasn't interested in the palace. No nobles or royalty could interest him in any other way than hatred. He loathed any nobility, any royalty. They were arrogant, cocky, rude, ungrateful, attention seeking, bastards who only want power. As if they didn't have enough as it was.

 

   But Donghae's thoughts were cut short when the streets became quiet. It was an eerie silence, and the boy's stomach started to churn. Telling him something bad was about to happen. Nevertheless, he continued to hammer at the iron, until his hammer and the animals were the only noises.

 

   Soft clicking of horse hooves echoed through the dirt roads. If you could call them roads. It was a while before the hooves stopped. And the hammer echoed through the air. For some reason, Donghae could feel the tense air, how threatening it seemed, even though he didn't know what was happening, or who was on the horses.

 

   “You there, peasant.” A loud voice boomed throughout Donghae's ears.

 

   For a moment, he was too startled and shocked to look up. So he just stood there, his hand tightening its grip on the hammer as he stopped his motions.

 

   “I called your name, peasant.” The voice came again, and Donghae finally looked up.

 

   His eyes landed on the men in front of him. They were all on horses, clad in military uniforms with the palace crest. Donghae grit his teeth, seeing the crest, but held in his emotions as best he could. The men all had swords and shields, leading the brunet to think that they were knights. Obviously people who you shouldn't upset.

 

   Donghae stared at the knights for a few minutes, dedicating each one a good look. The man who had called him, had thick brown hair and handsome features. He'd probably look even better if he lost some weight. Thought Donghae, eyeing the slight chubbiness of the man. But I guess he kinda looks like an overweight raccoon.

 

   The next person was just as strong looking as the other, but far more handsome. He was probably the most handsomest man Donghae had seen, probably the best looking in all of the kingdom. If he had to be truthful. The boy's eyes stayed planted on the man for a few more seconds than necessary, and he almost thought he saw the man wink at him. He's handsome, but those eyebrows...they're just too... Donghae chuckled to himself, finding it suddenly funny.

 

   “How dare you laugh in The Lordship's presence!?” The man from before yelled, his voice raising slightly.

 

   At this point, Donghae realized two things, two very important things. One, he had laughed out loud. Two, there were three men in front of him. Flustered, Donghae's eyes moved from the loud man to the third one.

 

   He was far less buff, compared to the others, appearing skinny. He was sitting on top of a grey horse, and his uniform was ten times fancier than the other two. The man had flaming red hair, and almond shaped eyes, eyes that seemed dangerous.

 

   Immediately understanding who was in front of him, Donghae gulped and his muscles tensed. Anger surged through him, although he didn't know why. It's not him I need to be angry at. It's his kind. Donghae held onto the heavy hammer tightly, hoping to vent his frustrations through holding the tool.

 

   “My apologies, My Lord.” He grit out, lowering his head and bowing slightly.

 

   “So you think a mere apology-”

 

   “Kangin, that's enough.” The red head cut the other off.
Donghae raised his head, confused to why the man had done that.

 

   “Sir,” The man, known as Kangin, said. Shutting his mouth and glaring at Donghae.

 

  “Give me a sword, that can settle your rude behaviour.” He said after glancing around the shop.

 

   Donghae faked a smile and bowed as he walked to the back of the shop. Running his fingers along the different blades, he finally stopped on the one he was looking for. Picking it up, he polished it quickly and put a sheath on it. Reluctantly walking back to the front, he handed the weapon to the man, bowing his head.

 

   There were a few moments of silence, the red head looking over the sword. Donghae clenched his fists, eyeing how the man was staring at the metal.

 

   “I suppose this will suffice.” He said after a while, handing the sword to the good looking man and about to leave, when Donghae just had to say something.

 

   “What? You're not going to pay for it?” He asked, gulping when they stopped and turned around.

 

   “I'm the prince, I don't need to pay.” He said, his eyes gleaming that of amusement. Something that made Donghae mad.

 

   “It takes days for a good sword to be made, blacksmiths put in hard work to make a weapon. It's not right to take something without paying, what you're doing is theft.” Donghae said, the air seeming to tense even more.

 

   “Are you calling the prince a theif?!” Said Kangin.

 

   “I can handle this, Kangin.” The prince said, smirking.

 

   “Sir, he should be beheaded!” Kangin protested, although it was to no use.

 

   After a glare from the prince to his knight, the man shut his mouth and turned his head forward. Muttering a 'whatever' and pouting.

 

   “So, are you going to pay or not?” Donghae asked, crossing his arms.

 

   “Why would I pay for something like this? This crappy piece of metal isn't even worth fighting with.” The prince laughed evilly and smirked.

 

   Donghae grit his teeth, glaring all his hatred at the prince. That was the last straw, he couldn't take it any more.

 

   “You want to get down here and say that to my face?” Donghae asked, and everyone around them let out a sound gasp. It wasn't enough that he had to face the likes of which he hates the most. He wasn't going to endure his teacher's works belittled and made fun of. They were the best blacksmiths in the village, and he wouldn't stay still after they've been insulted.

 

   The prince laughed, hopping off his horse. He walked up to Donghae, his face merely inches away. Donghae gulped, fixing his gaze on the seemingly black orbs in front of him.

 

   “It isn't surprising to find filth like you with pieces of scrap metal.” He said, finishing it off with spitting at the boy in front of him.

 

   Which wasn't the best thing to do, as Donghae lost it. He lashed out, tackling the red head to the ground. Donghae wasn't a fighter, he hardly had to resort to something like that, so he didn't exactly know how to fight. It wasn't shocking when the prince flipped their positions and landed a hard punch to Donghae's cheek.

 

   They rolled in the dirt, limbs entangling and struggling to land a hit. The red head succeeded to pummel Donghae, leaving more than one signs of a fight on his body. It was not until a second after a knee slammed into his stomach, that he managed to flip their bodies and pin the prince to the ground. Since his hand were busy holding the man down, he used the only thing he could think of.

 

   One minute he was staring daggers into the almond shaped eyes; and the next his back hit the ground, his head spinning. The brunet could barely make out different shapes, as his vision blurred and everything spun.

 

   “Oh my God!” A few people shouted and shrieked, confusing Donghae tenfold.

 

   He couldn't make much sense of what was happening, all he knew was that his body hurt all over, especially his head. It felt like the world was spinning and a pack of dogs trampled over the boy's body. On top of that, his ears were ringing and he felt like he was about to puke.

 

   Carefully sitting up, he closed his eyes, trying to focus. But every time he opened them, it was a dizzy mess of blurred images.

 

   “Siwon, bring that ruffian with us, the ing brat is going to get it when he wakes up.” He could hear a voice say before strong arms wrapped around him and he was hoisted up.

 

   A sudden warmth engulfed his body, and he wondered what was happening to him. Although he didn't have enough time to figure that part out, as he passed out into the darkness of his dreams. 

 

 

For those of you who don't know, a ruffian is a violent lawless person. So there you go. And um did you like the EunHae interactions? I thought they were alright, ya know?

 

There will most likely be some pretty cool things happening next chap, so look forward to that.