Chapter ten

Rescued Intentions

 

            A while ago in front of the smaller weapons room, Eunhyuk was listening in on the servants’ conversation. It wasn’t that he had mean to eavesdrop, all he wanted to do at first was to talk with Donghae. The brunet had been avoiding him the entire day, and there was no way that they could just leave things the way they were; especially not after he had so many strange feelings boiling inside him after they kissed.

 

 

            In search for his personal servant, Eunhyuk set off to find him. When he saw Donghae and another servant called Amber go into a rarely visited room, his curiosity got the better of him. Don’t get the red head wrong, it was never his intention to peep on the two or what they were talking about, it just so happened that he thought it would be awkward to step in on their conversation.

 

 

            “Wow, I can’t believe it, the prince likes men.” He heard Amber say, which caught him off guard. He had to hold back the urge to barge inside and correct the girl for her absurdity. There was no way the prince could ever like men. They were filthy, disgusting, and foul creatures. Although he was also a man didn’t mean those things didn’t relate to him.

 

 

            “No, no, no, no. He doesn’t because that would mean he likes me, right? So it can’t be possible.” Eunhyuk pressed his lips together, thinking about that. Did he like Donghae? The lowly peasant that only days ago he would have beheaded? No, there is absolutely no way.

 

 

            “You guys kissed though right? It’s obvious that one of you has to have feelings for the other if that happened, and if it’s not you, then it is Eunhyuk…Unless…you like the prince.” Donghae, likes me?

 

 

            “Hell no! There is no way in all the kingdoms that I could ever like that ignorant, self-centred, arrogant, crazy, rude, spoiled brat.”

 

 

            “That damned ruffian, who does he think he is to call me by such impolite words? ing bastard is going to get extra hours in the stables for that.” The red head hissed under his breath, opening the door a crack to see if he could see Amber and Donghae.

 

 

            “Well you know what they say, a strong denial is an affirmation. Maybe you do like him, you just haven’t come to terms with it yet.” Does he really like me? Eunhyuk thought to himself, pondering over the idea and wondering why it didn’t seem utterly gross to have a man like him.

 

 

            “You are talking crazy, he’s the bastard that has ruined my life, and I could have died because of him!”

 

 

            “But instead you were saved because of the prince. Aren’t there any times when he’s done something out of character to make you think that he thinks differently of you?”

 

 

            Prince Eunhyuk thought it over in his mind. Sure, there were many times when his heart did something that didn’t correspond with his brain. Worrying over a mere servant rather than his best friend, feeling a sense of jealousy towards one of his knights. Kissing Donghae.

 

 

            There was a part of the prince that changed inside of him. Just a small warmth that began to spread inside of him and expand around his chest. A smile crept to his face, something that hadn’t happened in a long time. Maybe, just maybe, the prince had feelings for his servant. Feelings that weren’t normal towards a peasant that he never should have met in the first place.

 

 

            “Oh? Hyukjae?” Kyuhyun’s voice startled Eunhyuk, sending him backwards like he had been caught peeping into the woman’s baths.

 

 

            “A-Ah, Kyuhyun, and Kangin too. What are you two doing around here?” He asked.

 

 

            “Shouldn’t we be the ones asking you that? Is there something interesting inside there?” Kyuhyun asked, his mischievous side kicking in as he neared the door.

 

 

            “I’m not sure, I just heard some talking so I was going to go inside when you guys appeared.” He lied, stepping back and letting his friends look inside the door.

 

 

            “Who is that? Servants slacking off? We’d better teach them a lesson then.” Kangin said, not thinking twice before slamming the door open and barging into the room.

 

 

 

            “What’s that s-supposed to mean?” Donghae asked, quickly diverting his gaze and hoping that he had just misheard.

 

 

            “It means what it means, nothing else to it.” Eunhyuk shrugged, returning to his self-confident and arrogant personality. “Look me in the eye and tell me that you didn’t enjoy that kiss. That you didn’t feel anything.”

 

 

            “Stop talking nonsense, we should get going before the others come back.” Donghae muttered, shaking his arm free. As he was about to exit the room, Eunhyuk grabbed his wrist, pulling him backwards, and in a few short seconds, familiar lips that he had only tasted a night before, were back against his.

 

 

            It was a warm sensation, one that left his knees weakening and his breath short. It didn’t last long, they had to be careful and the sound of footsteps approaching broke them apart. Donghae stared at Eunhyuk with shocked eyes, and he pulled his arms away from the prince. Covering his mouth with one hand, he glared at the red head.

 

 

            “…Lee Donghae, I might like you.” His voice was quiet, barely above a whisper, but it managed to resonate throughout the room, echoing inside the brunet’s ears.

 

 

            Donghae was confused, he couldn’t understand what was going on. There was no way that this could be happening, it was absurd and everything was wrong. His life was like a boat upturned from a storm and now he was stuck in the middle of the ocean. There was no way he could escape, and it felt like there were sharks encircling him wherever he ventured.

 

 

            His eyes began to water, he wasn’t sure why, but the confession and kiss had been too much for him to take in. After all, he was just a nineteen year old blacksmith who had been plucked from the streets and shoved into a large castle to serve. He had to let it all out sometime, and he happened to choose this time to do so.

 

 

            Donghae ran out of the room, stopping to spare a glance at Kyuhyun who stood rooted to his spot in the doorway. Did he hear all that? Did he see? it. Donghae thought, knocking him lightly on his shoulder as he passed.

 

 

            Running as fast as he could to the servant’s quarters, the boy collapsed on his bed, pulling the blankets over his head and failing to keep his sobbing silent. After a few minutes, a comforting hand rubbed his back in soothing circles.

 

 

            Slowly pushing his brown locks out from under the covers, Donghae laid eyes on Amber. She shared a look of sympathy with him, spreading her arms wide to invite the elder for a warm hug. For only knowing each other a few days, the two servants felt as close as real siblings. Donghae felt safe and comfortable with the blonde, like he could tell her anything and she wouldn’t turn her back on him.

 

 

            “There, there, it’s alright. Our strong Donghae has turned into our little baby HaeHae.” She cooed, wiping away his tears with her sleeve. “You can let it all out, everyone else is working away so we’re all alone for a few hours.”

 

 

            “I-I don’t know w-what to do. It’s s-so confus-sing and I-I c-can’t,” the brunet attempted to express what he was feeling, but between the sobs and choking on tears, he didn’t really know what was in his heart.

 

 

            “What happened, you weren’t this bad in the weapon room.”

 

 

            “H-He k-k-kissed me-e and s-said he m-m-ight like me.” Donghae paused to catch his breath. “I-I think K-Kyuhyun saw.”

 

 

            “Cho Kyuhyun might be a prankster, but he wouldn’t do anything too bad about it. Maybe just make fun of you for the rest of your life for kissing someone like the prince.” She chuckled, wiping the ever flowing tears from the boy’s eyes.

 

 

            “A-And Eunh-hyuk?”

 

 

            “I don’t know, that prince is a mysterious guy. I swear he’s bipolar, but if I were you, I would take what he said seriously. I’ve been in this castle since I can remember, that’s why I’m really close to all the knights, and I’ve known Eunhyuk enough to say that he’s never liked anyone before. He didn’t used to be a rude bastard like he is now, but that doesn’t matter. You should just get some rest and think things over. Plus, you don’t want your pretty little face to get too puffy, now do you?”

 

 

            Donghae laughed, slipping back under his blankets and shifting to his side on the lumpy bed. So much had happened in less than twenty-four hours that he didn’t think he would be able to sleep, but the over packed thoughts in his head only made his mind grow more tired and he slowly drifted off to sleep.

 

 

 

            “Is that really true? Do you like Donghae?” Kyuhyun asked, appearing before Eunhyuk.

 

 

            “I don’t know. Maybe, no, yes, it’s possible.” Eunhyuk groaned, rubbing his eyes and looking at the younger. “You heard all that?”

 

 

            “I guess so.”

 

 

            “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

 

            “Nothing,” Kyuhyun sighed, his features cold and emotionless. “I guess I just never really imagined you would like someone you wanted to kill. And in only a week’s time.”

 

 

            “Like I said, I don’t know. I could like him, or I could just…”

 

 

            “You shouldn’t play with someone’s feelings. It doesn’t feel good for the one receiving it.” Kyuhyun turned to walk away.

 

 

            “ this, what’s your problem lately? I can barely keep up with you like this.” Eunhyuk said, facing his friend with an angered expression. “If you have something to say, just ing say it, don’t keep acting like an emotional .”

 

 

            “Me? You’re saying that I’m the emotional ? Not you, who kisses a guy twice and doesn’t even admit to his feelings?” Kyuhyun snapped. “How do you think he feels, huh? Now that you’ve done something like that to confuse him, you’re just going to change your mind, right? That’s what you always do. Crowned Prince Eunhyuk can take things and then throw them out like trash after, right?!”

 

 

            “What the ?! What’s been biting you on the ? You don’t know the full story, so how can you say so much like you know everything?”

 

 

            “Because I do know everything, I’ve known you since I was a little kid and you’ve been this way since then! You just don’t know how it feels to be on the receiving end of things.”

 

 

            “Oh, and you do? Mr. Smart Pants who knows everything!”

 

 

            “Yeah, maybe I do. But those feelings are long gone now, it was futile in the first place.” Kyuhyun sighed again, trying to calm his nerves. “Think about it. You come into his life and try to kill him over a little scuffle, then you act nice to him and kiss him and who knows what else. To top it all off, you delude him by saying you like him. Now when he says he likes you too, you’ll just kick him off his high horse and pretend you’re just friends like nothing ever happened!”

 

 

            “What are you talking about?” The red head asked, he was calmer now and wanted to calm down his hysterical friend.

 

 

            “You know what I’m talking about. It’s a ty feeling, you know? Why can’t you just be clear with your feelings from the start?!” Kyuhyun yelled, stomping his foot like an upset child and turned around to leave.

 

 

            “Maybe I could be clear if you would ing explain to me what the you’re talking about. Because obviously this has nothing to do with Donghae!”

 

 

            The room was silent. It was starting to get dark outside and they could hear soft noises from the crickets through the one small window.

 

 

            “Back when we were kids, I was six and you were nine. I was still getting used to life in the castle and I still couldn’t get back to normal after the incident. You were so kind to me back then, I admired you so much and spent most of my time with you. Hyukjae, the young and handsome prince would train all day, going to many different lessons to learn everything you needed to know at a young age.

 

 

            One of those days, I was scolded for breaking a vase. You stood up for me back then too, and you took care of the scrapes I had, even kissing it better. I don’t know, it may have been then, or some years later, but I fell in love with you.”

 

 

            Eunhyuk was speechless, it was his first time hearing this, and the words sounded foreign coming from the never serious Kyuhyun.

 

 

            “But you never liked me. When you were twelve, you even threatened to have me hanged because I wouldn’t stop following you around. You can’t just do that, you seriously need to change you mood swings because it can mess someone up.”

 

 

            “Kyuhyun…” The red head whispered, his head hung low in something close to shame and regret.

 

 

            “Don’t worry, I don’t like you anymore. You’re just not my type anymore I’m afraid,” Kyuhyun chuckled, sniffling and wiping his eyes before the water works would start. “I would much prefer a cutie like Donghae,”

 

 

            “What?!”

 

 

            “Or a buff handsome guy like Siwon.” Kyuhyun smirked, sending the prince a charming smile.

 

 

            “You are one crazy bastard. Fine, I’m sorry. There, you get a special apology from me, just stop babbling on and on, because I already know that everyone can’t resist me.”

 

 

            “Yeah right, now that I think about it, it was probably brotherly love or something.”

 

 

            They laughed together, and Kyuhyun slowly walked up to Eunhyuk. He wrapped his arms around Eunhyuk, hugging him against his body tightly.

 

 

            “I think I like him, Kyu. I’ve never felt like this before, but every time I see him, the only thing I want is for him to be in my arms. What do I do?

 

 

            “There’s nothing you can do, but hope that he feels the same way. It takes time, but I think he likes you somehow. It’s over for me now, and time I move on. You focus on seducing the cutie.”

 

 

            “Kyuhyun…”

 

 

            “You know, I’m really thankful for everything you’ve done for me. Especially heroically saving me from those thugs all those years ago. It was a completely brave and cool thing to do.” He said, squeezing the prince who for once was showing his softer and honest side.

 

 

            “Aish, I told you to stop bringing that up. Promise me we won’t be awkward after this, okay?”

 

 

            “Promise. As long as you can figure things out with Donghae, because you would probably make a cute couple. Don’t mess things up like I did, not that I would now enjoy being with a monkey like you.”

 

 

            “Shut up.”

 

Subscrive, Comment, Enjoy ^^