Chapter thirteen

Rescued Intentions

            The air seemed clearer. There was a soft breeze that drifted through the opened windows, carrying with it the soothing sounds of the many birds who sang heartily in the morning. The hustle and bustle of the castle occupants was as loud and exhilarating as ever. All in all, this day was different. Different than the usual dreariness that leaked through the stone walls making every day the same. He could taste the feeling on the tip of his tongue, just waiting to get out and embrace the first thing he saw. He was sure this day was going to be good.

 

 

            Maybe it was because he woke up in his large fluffy bed, snuggling close to his pillow after dreaming of sweetness. Maybe it was because he woke up early to see the sunrise shining into his room, closing his eyes as he felt the light warm his face.

 

 

            Or perhaps it was because he had just confessed his love for the first time and the feeling had been mutual. Well, the first time since he had shyly told his parents that he loved them as a child.

 

 

            For some reason, bliss was the only thing eating away at the 20 year old man who felt more like a child about to go on a vacation.

 

 

            “Sire? Are you awake?” A soft voice spoke from the across the room, bringing the prince out of his reverie. Immediately recognizing the voice as his personal man-servant, Eunhyuk thought up a devilish plan and pretended to be asleep.

 

 

            “Prince Eunhyuk?” Donghae called once again, slowly and quietly walking to the side of the bed. He peered down at the sleeping man, staring at his peaceful features and the small smile gracing his lips.

 

 

            The brunet blushed, remembering how those same plump lips ravished his own less than 24 hours ago. His own hand went to brush over his mouth, recalling how warm he had felt last night. Donghae bit his lip, bending over just enough that his bangs tickled Eunhyuk’s eyes. Their faces were just inches apart, but before Donghae could back away, the prince’s large hands grabbed onto his body, and pulled the younger on top of him.

 

 

            Eunhyuk rolled over on the bed so that he was straddled over Donghae’s body. The nineteen year old boy would have been angry and struggled, attempting to push the elder off of him. Although the genuinely happy grin on the red head’s lips made him falter.

 

 

            “You weren’t trying to kiss me in my sleep, now were you?” Prince Eunhyuk asked, the cheerful grin turning into a playful smirk.

 

 

            “Really now, why would I want to kiss your ugly mug?” Donghae scoffed, turning his head to the side.

 

 

            “Your words deceive your actions last night,” he paused, a finger dancing on the brunet’s lips. “If you do not recall the event, I would be more than happy to revive your memory.”

 

            Just as Donghae turned his head to rebut what the other had said, Eunhyuk swooped down to place his lips on Donghae’s thin ones. Although startled, the brunet gladly returned the kiss, trying to hold back as to not devour the prince’s lips.

 

 

            Sure enough, just as the man had thought. This day was definitely going to be different. If the gracious wake up could serve as evidence for the statement, then it could only get better from there on out.

 

 

            “Oh, ho, ho, what have we here?” Or maybe not… Eunhyuk sighed, breaking the kiss and placing a hand on either side of Donghae’s beat red face.

 

 

            “Bastard.” Eunhyuk groaned, placing a chaste kiss on Donghae’s forehead then sitting up to look over his shoulder at the rude intruder.

 

 

            “You know, for once, I really don’t mind being called that. If it means I could get to see this kind of show, go ahead and curse at me.” Kyuhyun chuckled, ducking his head to avert a flying pillow.

 

 

            “ off, what the hell are you even here anyways?” Eunhyuk grumbled. Below him, Donghae was hopelessly trying to get the elder off of him and hiding his face with a pillow, all the while being ignored completely by the other two males in the room.

 

 

            “I guess I really did help last night, a jealous HaeHae is so cute,” Another pillow was chucked in his direction. “While a jealous Hyukkie is absolutely horrific.”

 

 

            “Don’t ing call him HaeHae, you’re not the one courting him anyways.” The prince almost hissed, watching as his best friend moved to the side of the bed.

 

 

            “Aw, is my little HaeHae being squished by the fat prince?” Kyuhyun cooed, pressing a finger against the brunet’s cheek that was showing through the pillow over his face. The prince quickly slapped Kyuhyun’s hand away, glaring at him and shifting so that he was sitting just over Donghae’s stomach.

 

 

            “What the do you want, Cho Kyuhyun?”

 

 

            “Well actually, there is a reason I came here.”

 

 

            “Then spit it out.”

 

 

            “There’s something I need to discuss with Donghae.”

 

 

            “So say it.”

 

 

            “Uh, something private.”

 

 

            “Bull. You can say whatever right here, he’s my servant anyway.”

 

 

            “Hyukjae, it’s a bit more complicated than that…”

 

 

            “I’m telling—”

 

 

            “Would you two just shut the up?!” Donghae screamed, flinging a pillow in each of the boys’ faces. Whether his face was red with embarrassment or anger was a mystery. “Don’t just act like I’m not even here!”

 

 

            The two best friends stopped their bickering, and Kyuhyun backed away with his hands in the air.

 

 

            “And you, would you mind getting off of me?” He directed to Eunhyuk who silently complied.

 

 

            Donghae sat up, fixing his hair and straightening his clothes. The brunet got out of the bed, coughing awkwardly in the silence and looked at Kyuhyun.

 

 

            “Come on then, let’s go talk.” He pushed Kyuhyun out of the room, turning his head back at the blank looking prince. “I’ll be talking to you later, sweety.” The word coming out of his mouth kindly, although it sounded more like a threat.

 

 

 

 

 

            “The king wants to see me?!” Donghae asked, his voice a strained whisper as Kyuhyun motioned for him to quiet down. “Why the heck would the king want to see a servant?”

 

 

            “I don’t really know actually. He just called me into the meeting room yesterday and said that he wanted to have a word with his son’s personal servant.” Kyuhyun explained, somewhat trying to calm the surprised boy down.

 

 

            “Do you think he’ll kill me? I mean, his son nearly killed me the first time we met, so like son like father?”

 

 

            “You know, I’m pretty sure that’s the wrong expression.” Kyuhyun said, chuckling a bit. “And besides, Hyukjae ended up courting you, so maybe the king will too!”

 

 

            “I don’t think or want a king, even less your king to take a shining to me. I’d rather just die.” Donghae grumbled as he crossed his arms.

 

 

            “Okay then… Listen, don’t worry about it, chances are he only wants to tell you about Hyuk’s allergies or something. I mean, other than Ryeowook and Amber, you’re the only personal servant to last this long without getting killed.”

 

 

            “Thanks, Kyuhyun, that really helps.” He replied sarcastically, rubbing his eyes in frustration. “I only hope that he won’t throw a sword at me.”

 

 

 

 

 

            Donghae stood outside of the largest wooden doors he had ever seen inside of a building, he even thought that it would have been impossible to build something so large inside of a castle. Although it was true that they needed to have giant doors inside for royalty.

 

 

            The servant awkwardly stood in front of the doors, somewhat embarrassed by the two guards standing on either side of the door. It wasn’t that he had anything to be embarrassed about, he was only visiting the king because he was asked, the boy just didn’t know how he was supposed to enter. Do I wait to be called in…or? He grimaced, not even liking the idea of meeting the man responsible for his father’s death and his mother’s depression.

 

 

            He feared that his emotions would take control of all reason and he would lash out at the king. The nineteen year old was rather sensitive about royalty, but he never thought that he would have to meet the man of his nightmares, the one who sent his father back to war, practically killing him. Donghae didn’t know the reasons, and he feared that when confronted with the king, he would speak out to get those answers.

 

 

            The king may not be as forgiving as his son was, Donghae only hoped that he wouldn’t repeat his outburst once again. Well, maybe only if my life is on the line and I have nothing else to lose… Donghae shook his head, he couldn’t die, and even if he did figure out the reason to his father’s death he couldn’t risk leaving his mother behind all alone. The boy would also regret dying while he had only just discovered his first love and didn’t even get to spend an entire day with the man whom he loved.

 

 

            N-Not that I-I would want to! He thought to himself, blushing suddenly and biting his lip only by the thought of spending a day with prince Eunhyuk.

 

 

            “You there, servant boy,” One of the guards addressed him, bringing Donghae back to reality. Why was he even thinking about dying? He didn’t even know what the king wanted to see him for.

 

 

            “Y-Yes?” Donghae stuttered.

 

 

            “The council has ended, you may enter as soon as the council members have left.” The guard said in a professional voice, later telling the servant to step aside while the doors opened.

 

 

            Doing as he was told, the brunet waited and watched as noblemen after noblemen spewed out of the room as if the room was barfing up its lunch. Donghae knew for certain that he himself wouldn’t want to have a couple dozen snobby rich folk inside of him for too long.

 

 

            The boy noticed how as each of the men, from late twenties to the elderly, would spare a half glance his way and mutter something under their breaths. It was most likely an insult, as the odd stares and disgusted looks were enough of a hint to the servant that he wasn’t well liked among the rich. Well I don’t like you heads either.

 

 

            He was still brooding over the rude looks he had received by the time he was able to enter the room. It was a large room lacking furniture, a large wooden table surrounded by countless chairs took up the majority of the space. At the very end of the room there was a chair for the king, lined with red velvet and marble stone. If this is only the council chair, his actual throne must be made of diamonds. Donghae thought.

 

 

            The servant looked around, suddenly feeling nervous that he was inside of a castle and the king would be in the same room as him. In truth, he wasn’t looking forward to meeting the man, although he knew that to some people it would be a great honour to meet the ruler of the kingdom. To Donghae, it was like meeting a criminal who hid behind a mask. He was the only one who knew about his wrongdoings, yet there could be no consequences for a king.

 

 

            “Lee Donghae?” A rough voice called from the end of the room, and an aging man dressed in royal robes appeared at the end of the table. Donghae took this man to be the king, his golden crown proving more than enough evidence.

 

 

            “Y-Yes, your majesty?” He said, biting his tongue so that he didn’t call the king by a different name.

 

 

            “You are the manservant to my son?” He asked, circling the largest chair slowly.

 

 

            “Yes, your highness.”

 

 

            “I see…” His eyes bore into Donghae’s body, staring him up and down as if he were sizing the servant up to get his worth. “How peculiar.”

 

 

            “Um, pardon, your highness?”

 

 

            “You haven’t died yet. Most of the other manservants that my son has taken on died in less than a week. It’s peculiar that you are standing here alive.” He explained, pursing his lips while his stare kept strained on the boy’s body.

 

 

            “I am glad that I have proven myself worthy to be his servant for this long then.” Donghae said, not quite sure where this would be going, he had almost hoped that he could ask the king about his father.

 

 

            “Hmm,” the man slowly sat down, crossing his legs over one another as he his greying beard in thought. “Are you perhaps suggesting that you are better than all the rest who have died?”

 

 

            “Well I must be since I’m not dead.” I whispered under my breath, but it seemed to have reached the kings ears by some cruel fate.

 

 

            The king burst out laughing, holding his gut that had rounded from one too many trips to the tavern. “You are not wrong on that account! If only the other servants had been as blunt as you!” The servant blushed, embarrassed that he had been caught. “However, that also makes things more puzzling.”

 

 

            Donghae raised his eyebrows, he had thought that the king liked him, but the curious and dangerous look on his wrinkled face was beginning to unnerve the boy.

 

 

            “I can only think of so many reasons to why my particular son has kept you around for nearly a month.” The king began, “I suppose you are wondering where this will go?”

 

 

            “W-Well, your majesty, it is very rare that a mere servant would be needed by the king.”

 

 

            “Yes, that is true. My reason for summoning you here is only that I wish to ensure my son has a good servant. Your personality is very charming, and if you’re still here that must mean you are skilled as a servant. I see no problem that you continue your work under my precious Hyukjae, ah, Eunhyuk he prefers to be called now. I thought he was over that teenage rebellion phase.”

 

 

            Donghae remained silent, a soft smile gracing his lips at the mention of the prince. If someone had told him several weeks ago that he would be feeling butterflies in his stomach at the mention of a name such as the prince’s, he would have laughed it off and called the person a crazy person.

 

 

            “Now then, before I dismiss you, Donghae, I would like to ask one more question.”

 

 

            “Anything, your majesty.”

 

 

            “Are you by chance related to Kim Miyoung?”

 

 

            Donghae froze, his muscles went rigid and he wasn’t sure how to answer. How did the king know his mother’s name? Should he say the truth or lie about it? Time was running out and the servant had to quickly answer before things became suspicious.

 

 

            “Wh-Who? I-I’m sorry, I don’t know any Kim Miyoung.” He replied, gritting his teeth.

 

 

            “Really? Very well, you are dismissed, continue to treat my son with the utmost care and respect, and you may find yourself alive and well.” The king said, waving the boy out.

 

 

            After bowing fully, Donghae started to walk out of the room with his head hung low.

 

 

            “How…odd, the boy looks just like Miyoung-ah.” The boy heard the king say under his breath just as soon as he had stepped out of the room and the doors were closing. Donghae clenched his fists, biting his lip to contain his emotions. It may not seem like a lot to someone else, but the mere mention of his mother’s name being called affectionately by the king made Donghae realise that there was no way his father was sent back to war by coincidence.

 

Subscribe, Comment, and Enjoy ^^