Chapter eleven

Rescued Intentions

            There was only one thing on his mind at that moment. The words that Amber had told him that morning were implanted into his brain. He would abide by her advice and see where it gets him. She may be younger than him, but there was no doubting that she was widely more experienced in the ways of romance.

 

            “Not that I’ve ever been in a relationship.” She had said, her cheeks blushing. “I just have a way of seeing and hearing things from around the kingdom.”

 

            Donghae pumped the air with his fist, muttering encouraging words to himself. There was nothing else he could do, so he might as well do what he was told.

 

            “Ah, Donghae!” Siwon’s voice pulled him over to the entrance of the castle. The knight was dressed in his usual armor for training.

 

            “Siwon-ssi, I haven’t seen you for a while.” Donghae smiled, standing next to the taller man.

 

            “Please, no one around here talks so formally like that.” Siwon said, patting Donghae’s brown locks. “Even if it’s between servant and knight.”

 

            “A-Are you sure?” The brunet asked, carefully removing the large hand from his head. “Because to be honest, I completely forgot about formalities and it’s a complete pain in the… neck…” He rubbed his nape, unsure if it was alright to speak like this with the man. Kyuhyun was younger and foolish, making it comfortable to speak with him. While the handsome knight in front of him was a little different. They hadn’t spoken much although the black haired man was far nicer than Kangin.

 

            “I know what you mean, don’t worry about it, really. Just be careful around Kangin, he doesn’t go so easily to being treated so casually.”

 

            “That’s strange. Yesterday he was chatting with Amber like they were close friends.”

 

            “Amber? Right, I suppose you wouldn’t know about her. She’s been living in the castle since she was born. Everyone is friends with her, she basically grew up playing horsey on Kangin’s back. She’s close with most of the knights, even the prince and the king are fond of her.” Siwon explained.

 

            “I see, she does have a great personality. Isn’t it a little weird though?”

 

            “What do you mean?”

 

            “If she’s so popular with everyone here, how come she still works in the stables? Couldn’t she get a better job or something? And even the king likes a servant? I can’t imagine a noble being friends with a peasant.” Donghae whispered the last part, although he was trying to understand that nobles were people too.

 

            “There’s a rumour,” Siwon started, “That she’s the king’s daughter he had with a woman in the towns.”

 

            “Omo, really?”

 

            “You can’t say anything, and you didn’t hear this from me. Someone said that apparently the king’s true love was a peasant so he couldn’t marry her, and the woman didn’t love him as she already had a husband and son. I don’t know all the details, yet some say that the king had an affair with the woman and Amber is their offspring.”

 

            “Then…that would make Amber a princess?” Donghae had to hold his laughter, it was too much to imagine the boyish girl in dresses and getting pampered.

 

            “Shh,” The knight looked around the empty castle square. “Who knows, it’d explain why everyone is nice to her, why she hasn’t quit and why she’s been here since she was born.”

 

            “That sure is a juicy rumour, makes sense too.” But I can’t believe that a king would take interest in a peasant. “I’d better get going now though, have a good day Siwon.”

 

            “Remember, you didn’t hear it from me!” Siwon called after Donghae as he ran inside the castle in a hurry.

 

 

 

 

            “Where the is that stupid servant?!” Eunhyuk yelled, throwing a silver plate with his lunch across the room. “Why for s sake did I even let him live?! He is the worst servant on the planet! Why the hell did I even hire an unappreciative bastard in the first place? I should have just had him hanged instead.”

 

           “Unappreciative. Wow, didn’t know you knew such a big word, Hyuk.” Kyuhyun said, entering the room just as a small servant boy rushed out. Probably in search of Donghae.

 

            “Oh shut the up, Cho Kyuhyun.” The prince grumbled, jumping face down on his bed.

 

            “Ever thought that he’s avoiding you? I mean, you did kiss him and confess your undying love last night.” Kyuhyun suggested, grimacing as he witnessed the slaughter of good food on the floor.

 

            “I’m not an idiot, I can figure that much out, but he’s my personal servant, shouldn’t he at least attempt to do his job?” Eunhyuk huffed, getting ready to scream into his pillow like a teenage girl getting over a break up. When there was a knock at the door.

 

            “Sire? I’ve brought your servant.” The boy from before said, bowing his head and quickly pushing a reluctant nineteen year old into the prince’s chambers.

 

            “Really now? Why thank you, Ryewook, why don’t we go find something else to do?” Kyuhyun said, a devilish smile painting his lips as he walked out of the room with the smaller boy beside him.

 

            Now, the room was filled with a tense and awkward silence. Eunhyuk was laying on his bed with a pillow beneath his head, in a position to have another fit, while Donghae was quietly fiddling with his thumbs at the entrance, trying not to laugh at the odd position the red head was in.

 

            Straightening up on his bed, Eunhyuk bit his lip, making all sorts of rage faces to the wall in front of him. Clearing his throat, the prince calmly got off of his bed, flattening the sheets and placing the pillow (that now had traces of his saliva on it) down. Checking his reflection in a body length mirror, Eunhyuk fixed his hair and got ready to face his new found crush.

 

            “So you’re here.” He said, clearing his throat to get Donghae’s attention.

 

            “After that blue haired freak dragged me here. I bet he would have tied me up and gagged me if I didn’t walk on my own.” Donghae replied, keeping his cool and acting as if nothing had happened the day before.

 

            “He…mistreated you?” Eunhyuk asked, pursing his lips. “I see, I’ll have him executed immediately.” The red head started to walk out of the room.

 

            “No, no, no, no, no!” Donghae said, rushing to stop the prince, placing two hands on Eunhyuk’s chest to stop him. “That’s alright, Ryewook or whatever his name is, treated me just fine. You don’t have to kill anybody. I don’t see why you would need to.”

 

            “Are you sure? I can have him banished instead.”

 

            “You are seriously messed up. Just what makes you think that it’s okay to decide whether or not a person dies? Even if you’re a prince, someone born with a gold rattle in your hand, doesn’t mean that it’s okay to play with someone else’s life.” Donghae said, his emotions daring to get involved. Turning around, the brunet began to clean up the food from the floor.

 

            “What are you doing?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

            “You wanted your servant, so I’m here and doing my job. If that’s a problem, then I’ll just leave.” Donghae said, sparing a glance at the red head.

 

            “Whatever.” He sighed and went to sit in his desk, picking up pieces of paper here and there. For some reason, what the younger had said was getting to him.

 

            He had never thought of his actions that way before. It was never a problem concerning what he wanted. If there was someone he didn’t like, he could have them killed or banished from the kingdom. Unless it was another royal or a trusted knight, he could get rid of anyone. It was no problem for the prince of one of the most powerful kingdoms. His father who loved his only son would do whatever he could to make up for not spending enough time with each other.

 

            Never before had Eunhyuk thought about what came of his wishes. Now that the boy before him had spoken so bluntly to him, it was like things came crashing down. He began to imagine all the families who had to bury their sons, daughters, husbands and wives. The troubles they would have had to go through. Something that Donghae’s own mother may have had to go through if the prince didn’t spare his life.

 

            There were countless people in Eunhyuk’s time who he has had banished, who probably hold a grudge against him. The innocent people who may have accidentally bumped into him, or put too much salt in his dinner, those who were taken away from their home after something so small would never have their lives back. It was a cruel thing to do.

 

            The prince had never trusted strangers. He wasn’t prone to trusting people he had just met. It took him time, and he was almost always wary of every person he was introduced to. It wasn’t easy for him to open up to people he didn’t know or care for, yet it was still wrong for him to act like a spoiled brat.

 

            “Am I…a bad person?” He asked himself, eyebrows creasing as he mulled over everything he’s done, recalling the different nicknames he has received from the people who have met him.

 

            “So finally, in your long twenty years you have finally realized that you’re not a good guy.” Donghae said, leaning on his broom as he looked at Eunhyuk from the side.

 

            “I’m really…a bad person, aren’t I?” He asked again, this time looking Donghae in the eyes.

 

            “W-Well,” Donghae stuttered. He had expected the prince to yell at him to get back to work, or that he wasn’t talking to him. Something that a prince would say to a guy like him. However the question had caught him off guard. Sure he didn’t like the prince, and all nobles were arrogant ruffians who never had to work a day in their life, (save Kyuhyun, Siwon, and maybe Amber), but there was something about the prince that kept him from answering.

 

            Maybe it was his frail voice, desperately asking for an answer. Perhaps it was the vulnerable look in his eyes, reminding the brunet of a small child who didn’t know right from wrong. Or could it be because of Donghae’s own feelings for the prince. The subtle aching in his heart when he saw the man, or when he recalled their shared kisses. Whatever it was, Donghae’s gut wouldn’t let him say anything.

 

            The two of them were stuck in their positions like statues, and for the second time that week, the brunet found himself doubting his basis of hate for nobles.

 

 

 

 

            “I don’t think I can do it.” Donghae whined, playing with the food on his plate.

 

            “Why not?” Amber asked, barely stopping to speak while she chewed her food, her words slurring as she spoke. “It’s so simple, all you gotta do is ignore ‘im and act like nuthin’ happened ‘til he finally cracks.”

 

            “Ever thought of eating with your mouth closed? I hear it’s the new trend.” Donghae frowned, picking a piece of cornmeal off of his shirt.

 

            “That’s not the problem ‘ere.” She replied, glaring at the older boy.

 

            “I’m sorry, I just can’t do it. It’s too difficult to ignore him. And please tell me again why I have to do this?”

 

            “If you ignore him and he gets so ticked off, that he’ll either give up, try to make you fall in love with him, or kill you.”

 

            “I like the first option the best.” Donghae sighed as he refused to eat his dinner, his appetite somehow disappearing after the sight of the barbarian in front of him.

 

            “Oh please, you totally like him too, you just can’t admit to it.”

 

            “Like who?” A blue haired boy appeared by their table, holding his own plate of gruel. “Mind if I join?”

 

            “Ryewook, haven’t seen you in a while.” Amber said, pulling the small boy down beside her. “This is Lee Donghae, he’s the guy that beat up the prince. Donghae this is Kim Ryewook.”

 

            “I think we met before, when you handed me over to prince Eunhyuk.” Donghae said, shuddering as he recalled being snatched away from the hallways and offered up as a sacrifice to the prince’s messy room.

 

            “In all respect, you are his servant.” Ryewook said, his voice sassy as he picked around the food.

 

            “You two met already?” Amber asked, looking between the two.

 

            “Not really, I only showed him to his rightful work place.” The blue haired male said, smiling brightly.

 

            “Whatever, it’s you who’s responsible for my failure.” Donghae muttered, sighing heavily.

 

            “Right, what are you guys talking about anyways? I’m dying for some new gossip, and a prince puncher is way better than which pig is visiting the butchers tomorrow.”

 

            “Well, Donghae here has an admirer and he doesn’t want to admit that he likes him back. So I’m trying to help him figure out a way to, I don’t know, fix this.” Amber explained.

 

            “Only been here a week and you’ve already got secret admirers? You are quite the looker I guess.” Ryewook said, scanning the brunet up and down as if checking to make sure he was worthy of the boy’s presence.

 

            “Uh, thank you, I guess.” Donghae muttered, showing a small smile at the younger.

 

            “So, who is it? Do I know them? And a guy? I didn’t know you swung that way.”

 

            “Hey, love’s love right?” Amber said, grinning brightly. “And you won’t believe who likes him.”

 

            “Amber, don’t say anything.” Donghae warned.

 

            “They’ve even kissed. Twice.”

 

            “Omo, no way! And you still won’t admit you like the guy?”

 

            “How could I ever like an ignorant bastard like him?!” Donghae nearly yelled, gaining a few curious glances in the eating area.

 

            “…I think I’m getting an idea at who this person is.” Ryewook said, studying the brunet’s facial expressions change from flustered to confused to worried.

 

            “You couldn’t possibly know.” Donghae said, although he somehow doubted that.

 

            “Don’t worry, you can trust me. I may like gossip, but I can keep secrets too. Think of me like a bank for all your dirty little secrets.” He said, then turning to Amber. “Do I know him?”

 

            “Definitely.” She replied, giving Donghae a look that said the blue haired young boy was trustworthy.

 

            “Was he here before Donghae?”

 

            “Absolutely.”

 

            “Does he live in the castle?”

 

            “Yes.”

 

            “Is he around Donghae’s age?”

 

            “Mm-hmm.”

 

            “Is it,”

 

            “What is this, twenty questions?” Donghae interrupted, crossing his arms. “It’s the prince, the twit that likes me.” He then whispered, although agitatedly.

 

            “Woah. I mean, I was about to guess Kyuhyun or Siwon, but the prince? Really? Eunhyuk?” Ryewook asked, dropping his spoon which resulted in a bit of corn chunks splashing onto the table.

 

            “Yeah, yeah, whatever.” The brunet groaned, pushing his hair back in frustration. “Now if you could give me some advice on what to do, that would be helpful.”

 

            “I’m still in shock, but Kim Ryewook cannot let this opportunity pass by.” He said, rolling up his imaginary sleeves as he was wearing a T-shirt.

 

            “I’m actually interested to hear this.” Amber said, pulling Donghae’s food away from him so that she could finish it up. Not that he had started eating.

 

            “Since he likes you, and I’m guessing by a lot since it’s the prince, and by the way that he was acting this afternoon. Why don’t you just confess too? I don’t see a problem, other than it would have to be a secret because the king would never allow that between a servant and his son, let alone a man.”

 

            “Great help, but no thanks. I don’t like him. How many times do I have to say that for you two to believe me?”

 

            “It’s not how many times you have to say it to make us believe, it’s how many times you have to say it to make yourself believe.” Amber said, sticking a spoonful in and smiling smugly at the blank face across the table.

 

 

 

 

            Maybe, I do like him? Donghae asked himself, tossing under his blankets. He wasn’t getting much sleep lately, the lack of sleep would affect his work habits, so he knew that he should sleep. Because of a certain red head, Donghae wasn’t able to get a good night’s rest though.

 

            It was as clear as day somewhere in the world, maybe even a few days journey there could be a giant meadow of flowers and everything would be perfect there. For Donghae, his mind and heart was a thunderstorm. Everything was grey, rainy, and the brunet only waited for a loud crack of thunder to wake him from his nightmare.

 

            There was nothing else that his life could be. Ever since he came to the palace he had gone through one trial after the other. Fighting for his life, braving the weather to meet his sick mother, learning how to live as a servant, and now he was faced with the task of his own feelings.

 

            It wasn’t a lie to say that Donghae has always been a much loved person in his village. Everyone who knew him took a liking and he has had many young and older girls profess their love to him, maybe even the odd boy would come with sparkles in his eyes. With them, it was easy to refuse their confessions. He didn’t want to start something when he knew it wouldn’t last, plus the busy boy had no time for relationships.

 

            With Eunhyuk though, things were different. He wasn’t able to stop their lips from touching, as he was not able to deny the prince to continue after him. He’s a prince, what right do I have to argue with him? Donghae thought, immediately regretting it when he realized what he was thinking. It would be better if he had never met the prince, sad memories would stay hidden and he wouldn’t have to go through the trouble he was experiencing. It’s only been a week, how can someone fall in love just like that?

 

            Nothing made sense, and Donghae didn’t want to accept anything. But no matter how hard he tried, the boy didn’t want to hate the prince. Seeing the same look in his eyes as when he was contemplating his morals.

 

            The prince wasn’t a bad person, deep down in his heart Donghae knew that Eunhyuk was good. It wasn’t the bloodline that made a person noble, it depended on many different factors. Donghae was slowly learning that not everyone who lived in a castle or had loads of money to spare was necessarily a bad person. It was that person’s upbringing, their personality, influences, different parts of society that changed a person into someone that Donghae despised.

 

            Eunhyuk probably wasn’t always a bad person, he was just taught the wrong things. He was raised to be a spoiled brat who always got what he wanted, and an influence like that can change how someone lives. He just needed to change how he thought, and he would become someone good, someone who everyone would like and look up to, perhaps a person fitting to be a king.

 

            Donghae may be convinced that all nobility are cruel, heartless, cold blooded killers who only want what will benefit their kingdom. Knights who are only allowed to be from a well off family, royalty who marry for land and peace, kings who start wars here and there because they are bored. People who have no regards for others and only know of themselves, that kind of nobility is what really irritates Donghae. 

 

Subscribe, Comment, Enjoy ^^