Chapter fifteen

Rescued Intentions

            It didn’t hurt Donghae as much as he thought it would when he landed on the cold stone floor. What hurt the boy more was that the first thing the one he loved did was to throw him away. Sure, it could have been reflexes, but it still hurt Donghae to be treated like trash even if they had just been caught and he would probably end up being killed.

 

 

            Eunhyuk’s gaze switched from his fuming father to his saddened lover on the floor. He didn’t exactly mean to throw the younger onto the floor like that, he was merely too shocked at seeing his father to stop his body from reacting on its own.

 

 

            “Hyukjae,” the king’s voice was filled with venom and his stare pierced into both boys’ soul. “You will ing follow me and explain how this is all a misunderstanding. That you don’t love him and then we can add the filthy wretch’s body to the pile.”

 

 

            “F-Father, j-just c-calm down.” Eunhyuk held up his hands, slowly getting off the bed and approaching his father, making sure that Donghae was hidden from direct view.

 

 

            “You shall not tell me what to do!” He screamed and pushed the prince so harshly that he fell to the ground with a thud. The king stormed over to the servant on the floor, Donghae tried to scurry backwards until his back hit the wall.

 

 

            “Y-Your majesty…” Donghae stuttered, he wasn’t sure how he should react to this situation, he had hoped that it would never come to this. Perhaps if he would truly love the prince until the end of time, he would have wanted to slowly come out to the king. Not to be caught hovering over the red head and whispering “I love you”s.

 

 

            Now the boy was pulled from the floor with the king his shirt and pushing Donghae against the wall. Donghae could barely breathe, and his lungs seemed to lose all their air.

 

 

            “I was wrong about you, I see now that the only reason my son kept around a wretched wench like you is because you seduced him. No wonder you aren’t dead, tempting my dear Hyukjae with your body and placing disgusting thoughts in his head of love.” The king spat in Donghae’s face, glaring aggressively.

 

 

            “S-Sire…I-I c-cann-ot…” The servant trailed off, he was being choked and all he could do was look to Eunhyuk for help.

 

 

            Out of the corner of his eye, Donghae could see that Eunhyuk was slowly getting up from the floor. His eyes were downcast and his fists clenched, as if he weren’t certain as to what to do. I-I want to h-help…b-but I don’t w-want t-t-to make it worse… The prince thought, daring to look up, and when he did his heart broke a little inside. He shouldn’t be waiting for something to happen, he should be arguing with his father and saying how he really did love his servant.

 

 

            “F-Father, please don’t hurt him…It’s n-not his f-fault.” Eunhyuk tried grabbing onto the king’s arm, tugging at it to pull away.

 

 

            “Silence! You’re under a trick! This is witchcraft I tell you! There is no way that my son could be in love with a filthy ruffian like this!”

 

 

            “Just, just please put him down, you’re going to kill him.”

 

 

            “Can’t you see?! He’s deceiving you! The monster only wants your money and power! Not like he’d get it, there’s never been two kings and there never will be.”

 

 

            “Father, if you’d put him down we can talk this out like men.”

 

 

            “Ha! Like men you say? Men would battle it out to the end!”

 

 

            “Father! Put him down! I mean it.” Eunhyuk raised his voice, he wasn’t on good terms with his father anyway, and there wasn’t much he could do about his attitude now.

 

 

            The king was momentarily shocked at the outburst, his grip loosening just enough for Donghae to wriggle out of his grasp. The servant fell to the floor, coughing violently and in to catch his breath. Eunhyuk quickly pulled at Donghae’s arm, hiding the boy away behind him. The prince looked down to see the younger holding onto his clothing and cowering like a lost child.

 

 

            “What in the world has gotten into you, Hyukjae? To act like this, only for the sake of a common .”

 

 

            “He’s not some common , he’s much more than that, and I love him dearly. A-And I have changed, but it’s all been for the better! Because of him, I know realize that the way I was living before was wrong.”

 

 

            “What—how—you don’t—this is all wrong!” The king sputtered, stumbling backwards in utter shock.

 

 

            “Father, you can’t and you won’t get in the way of this, my feelings for him are sincere.”

 

 

            “Ha! It is only a trick my foolish son! You’ll see when you lay on your deathbed at his hands!” The king stopped for a second, regaining some of his composure. “Hyukjae, do tell me how you were living before? How was it wrong? I understand that killing people here and there isn’t good for tourist attraction, but what was so wrong about it?”

 

 

            “I don’t want to be the kind of king who rules with fear, I want to be a deserving king who unites his people. I know you are a great man father, but please, let me be with him.”

 

 

            The king opened his mouth again to speak, most likely to sentence the servant to death and set his disobedient son straight. Although before he could, Donghae took a brave step forward and inhaled deeply.

 

 

            “Sire, you have to see things from prince Eunhyuk’s eyes. Haven’t you ever been in love for the first time? Wasn’t there ever someone that you wanted to hold so desperately that you would move worlds for them? That is how I feel towards Eunhyuk, I would do anything for him even if I haven’t known him for a long time. As you said the other day, I have a charming personality and am well capable of serving prince Eunhyuk.” The boy’s eyes were staring directly at the king, he didn’t want anything bad to happen because of him, and so he would do whatever it took.

 

 

            “You two have spoken before?” Eunhyuk piped in from behind the servant. “Then when Kyuhyun…”

 

 

            “Perhaps I was fooled as well then.” The king mused, “You must be truly sly to infiltrate the castle and gain my son’s heart.”

 

 

            “I am a respectful man, sire, I never wanted this to happen, I never wanted to be locked inside a castle and made a servant all for standing up for what was right. I was though, I was threatened to die, yet here I am standing alive. I was confessed to and my first kiss was stolen, yet here I am wanting more. I never wanted any of this to happen,” Donghae paused when he felt his hand being squeezed by the prince who was sending him a confused and heartbreaking look. “I never wanted this to happen, but I am glad that it did.”

 

 

            “D-Donghae…” Eunhyuk whimpered, feeling an immense heat grow in his chest from hearing the boy’s words.

 

 

            “Nevertheless, I cannot stand for this. I may learn to accept your mutual feelings, but I can never allow a peasant to marry into the royal family!” The king bellowed, and he turned to leave, but there was something in what he had said that made Donghae’s blood boil.

 

 

            “Your majesty, if I may speak out of turn,” He grit his teeth, barely allowing for his words to be let out. “You have no right to speak that way! You grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth, learning how to be the insensitive prick all noblemen are! The proud people you call peasant worked their bodies to the bone in order to feed their families. Nothing is given to us, nothing is served to us by hundreds of slaves!”

 

 

            Donghae was fuming, his insides were boiling with hatred and his tears threatened to fall as he remembered the foggy memories of his father from childhood.

 

 

            “You killed my father, I’m sure of it.” His voice was now barely above a whisper in the silent room. “I don’t know why you would take away the precious life of a father from his son, but you probably did so for selfish reasons. For once, why can’t you let other people have what they really desire?!”

 

 

            The three men were silent, the youngest of them panting to catch his breath after the outburst. It seemed to him that he was yelling far too much at people who could kill him.

 

 

            “What is your father’s name?” The king asked after a long and tense silence.

 

 

            “Lee Y-Youngsu, late husband of Kim Miyoung.” Donghae said, lowering his head. He had raised his voice to the king, as well as lie about his family. It would be a miracle if he got out of this alive.

 

 

            “D-Did you just say…Lee Youngsu and Kim Miyoung?” The king spun around, facing Donghae eye to eye.

 

 

            “Y-yes. I lied about not knowing Kim Miyoung.”

 

 

            “So you’re really their child. You look a lot like Miyoung-ah.”

 

 

            “Miyoung-ah? You knew Donghae’s mother?” Eunhyuk asked, bewildered. He had been silently watching his lover without knowing where it would go, but now his curiosity had taken over.

 

 

            “I wasn’t sure at first, but I see now that this is indeed her son.” The king rubbed his eyes, recalling old memories that ached of heartbreak and sorrow. “I suppose there is no avoiding it now, I might as well tell you the truth, that’s the least I can do after all these years.”

 

 

            Donghae had somewhat calmed down from his state of anger. Now that he had gotten his emotions off of his chest and was about to hear the truth behind his father’s death, he was having mixed feelings. He wasn’t sure if he would want to hear what the king would say, nor if he would like what was revealed.

 

 

            The king went over to the bed, sitting on the edge and motioning for the boys to sit down also.

 

 

            “How long has it been since then? Sixteen years maybe…Sixteen years since that time long ago. In my old age my emotions seem to get the better of me, mood swings here and there, but now that I’ve had so much time to myself, I can recognize all the mistakes I’ve made. Soldiers often experience traumatizing nightmares after they serve time in the war. They think back to everything that they had to do, the things they had to do to survive. As king, it’s no secret that I’ve done horrible things too.” Eunhyuk’s father looked at him, as if sending a mental message that the young prince would have to experience those things as well.

 

 

            “I did do many deeds all for the sake of the kingdom, to ensure a better life for its citizens. But…but what I did to your father, that…” the king had to pause as he covered his face with his hands, his large and powerful demeanor shrinking. “That was no more than a selfish act on my behalf. A sin, a selfish, evil, cruel act that took a heavy toll on your family, Donghae.”

 

 

            Donghae looked up, he had hoped that there would be a good reason for his father’s death. Perhaps an honorable cause that he had left home to fight in a war he had already been in. However with the way things were going, it felt like his father truly was the product of a rich man’s greed.

 

 

            “W-Why, why d-did you s-send him back to war?” Donghae asked, grasping onto Eunhyuk’s hand to calm his nerves.

 

 

            “I was and still am a coward. To make you understand this foolish king’s desire, I’ll have to start from the beginning.” By now the three men had calmed down and were ready to hear and to tell the story that would explain everything. “The three of us, Youngsu, myself, and Miyoung, were childhood friends. It all started from a quarrel between Youngsu and I, he had called me an insensitive bastard and we naturally fought it out. I would have had him killed, if Miyoung-ah hadn’t stepped in. It was her purity, her sense for equality and justice that drew me in. I didn’t kill Youngsu and the three of us slowly became friends.

 

 

            I knew it was wrong, ever since the day I first saw her, a royal and a peasant could never be. Plus, she had Youngsu, she always had Youngsu. They were together since boy turned to man and girl turned to woman. I couldn’t come in between them because they were my best friends, and besides, Miyoung was too in love.

 

 

            As the weeks turned to months and the months turned to years, I began to grow a hatred for my dearest friends. Youngsu who had taken my first love away from me, and Miyoung who had rejected my heart. I was new to the entire king idea, and before I had realized it, I’d let the power get to me. I was and still am, a king who instills fear in others. Killing my best friend wouldn’t faze me.”

 

 

            “S-So, m-my father…?” Donghae squeaked, his tears began to fall as he started to piece things together. The king had loved his mother who didn’t love him back, so the king would do whatever it took to claim her heart. Even if it didn’t truthfully belong to him.

 

 

            “Yes, I was a coward, I couldn’t kill the man I had grown up alongside with my own hands. I sent him back out to war even though he had already spent his time. I paid an assassin to make sure the deed was done, and I hate to admit that I was glad to hear the news because it meant that if even for a minute, I would get to spend a night with Miyoung.

 

 

            I’m not proud of what I did, I was a young and foolish boy back then, and I hope that I’ve changed my ways, if only by a bit. I killed your father Donghae, and when your mother was depressed with the news, I took advantage of her. I can still hear her cries, I didn’t realize that what I was doing was hurting her…”

 

 

            Donghae leaped forward and landed a fist to the king’s bearded face.

 

 

            “You, you, you bastard! How could you do that to my mother?! You’re the reason she’s so sick! Go die!” Donghae lashed out at the royal until Eunhyuk grabbed onto him from behind, pulling the thrashing boy away. It took some time for the prince to calm his servant down, the boy was seething with fury and hot tears cascaded down his cheeks.

 

 

            “You can hit me all you want, it won’t change anything. I harassed your mother and now I’m paying for it up here.” The man tapped his head, sighing to let out his frustrations. “It’s been driving me crazy, all the nightmares…I see him everywhere, he’s there when I wake up; he’s there when I eat; he’s there when I train; he’s there when I go to sleep. I know I wronged him, and I think that it is well overdue that I make up for it in whatever way I can…So, I’ll let you both have the one thing I could never obtain. To be able to stay with the one you truly love, no matter what your background is.”

 

 

            The king stood up, wiping the blood that leaked out of his mouth and dribbled down. He began to walk out of the room, leaving two disoriented boys behind. Before he could leave though, the king stopped to face Donghae once more.

 

 

            “There’s one more thing you should now, you too Hyukjae. I don’t know how she hid it from you, but your mother had another child, the offspring that came from me. Her presence makes things seem a little less bad, although I will always deeply regret doing that to your mother and father, I’ll never regret Amber.” The king turned to leave, and just as he was exiting he whispered one last thing. “Your father was a good man, your mother a good woman, you’re just like them both.”

 

let the fact that Amber is Donghae and Eunhyuk's step sister sink in.

A lot of people were asking if Hae and Hyuk would be brothers? Is that common? I've neve read something like that, it'd just be way too weird to settle with this author. But hey! They're not related! I don't think...wah confusion. Lol ok im sorry goodbye ill go ill update soon hopefully i dunno i go read go eunhae 

Oh and the parents figures in this fanfiction are completely made up. I didn't want to kill a celebrity in this fic.

Subscribe, Comment, Enjoy ^^