Epilogue

Soft Spot for You

 

Donghae’s POV

 

“Kyu, where’s my cellphone?” I yelled, upturning the living room in a frantic search, looking under furniture and rummaging through everything. 

 

“I think the monkey has it!” Kyu hollered back from the bathroom where he was packing the last of his things. “He said he something about needing to get the address from your text messages.”

 

Hearing that, I sighed, stopping the search. I put my hands on my hips and looked around the room, trying to see if I had happened to forget anything else. 

 

Just then, Kyuhyun came rushing out the bathroom, a duffle bag slung over his shoulder, only partially zipped, letting me see the toiletries he’d packed. 

 

I lifted an eyebrow. “Are you sure you’re going to need all that? We’re only going for a couple of days” I said, watching him look at his bag before passing my a look that said ‘duh’. 

 

“I didn't complain about how many shoes you’re taking so don’t even try to tell me I’m overpacking,” he said, sticking his tongue out before his eyes caught on something behind me. “Oh! My charger!” 

 

I rolled my eyes. Only Kyuhyun would try to bring our entire bathroom, but forget something important like his phone charger. 

 

As he  ran around me to stuff his charger into the duffle bag, I took one last round around the apartment, just to make sure I didn't forget the necessities. I’d already put my suitcase in the car last night so I was pretty much done. Now I just had to wait for Kyuhyun to finish before we could head down. 

 

I decided to wait in front of the door, impatiently calling out for Kyuhyun to hurry it up before we ended up getting stuck in the snow storm that was raging outside. It was still pretty early, about six in the morning, so things were still pretty dark outside, but I felt pumped with excitement, wanting to leave quickly. 

 

As I waited by the door, my eyes scanned around our apartment, and a smile found it’s way to my face. 

 

It’s funny how much can change in a few months. Kyuhyun and I had started college successfully. I had stayed with Hyukjae for about the first month into the semester, and it was incredible. Hyukjae would take me on dates at least twice a week, sometimes for full blown dinners at fancy restaurants which I didn't like too much, and other times, it was simpler things like watching a movie, or just wandering around the neighborhood, spending time together. 

 

Back then, Kyuhyun was still in a weird situation with Changmin, not really knowing what to do with all his feelings. But things started to look better between the two of them after Kyuhyun stopped being such a hard head and agreed to spend more time with Changmin. It wasn't too long after Kyuhyun started school that Heechul decided it was about time he pulled Kyuhyun out of the bar scene and instead, promote him to working in his office as an assistant. Suffice to say, Kyuhyun didn't do any real work with his new position, but Heechul was completely fine with him doing his school work during his shift. 

 

Kyuhyun also had a second job. Changmin had offered for him to come work with him at his company as someone who tests out the video games before they’re released, and although Kyu won’t admit it, I heard from Changmin that all they really do was play video games together in his office for hours at a time and cuddle and mess around a lot. 

 

Leeteuk had come to visit me during that time, too, meeting Hyukjae and hitting it off pretty well with him. Leeteuk had been insistent about spending me money regularly, but then Hyukjae got me a permanent job in his company as his other assistant, seeing as how Sungmin was his first assistant. He didn't usually have much work for me, and just had me follow him around to meetings and stay with him in his office, which was pretty fun as I made a lot of knew friends within his company and also started learning things about business, which is what I was focusing on in school. 

 

I’d officially moved out of my mother’s place after Hyukjae and Matthew went over to get my things. I wanted to go, but I ended up not because I got too nervous about seeing my mother again. Even after everything that happened, I still wanted to see her, but a fear that’d she just get mad at me all over again was too much to handle and scared me into not going back. Bom and Sandara talked to me a lot on the phone because they couldn't visit often, and kept me updated on things my mother was doing, which I appreciated them doing. 

 

Because of our new jobs, Kyuhyun and I were able to pay our own halves of the rent and we moved in together into the apartment in Matthew’s building that he’d shown us before. Our lease claimed to have two tenants, but it hardly seems like it with the amount of people that kept coming over. Matthew was no stranger to our home. He claimed that he didn't want us to starve ourselves on microwave pizza and burgers so he would stop by most nights to cook us dinner. He would teach us as he went along and we were slowly learning. Apparently he had found himself a lady friend and me and Kyu liked to about it more often than not. 

 

Hyukjae was no stranger either, although I spent more time at his place than he did at ours. Changmin had practically moved in to our place with the number of times he spent the night. I had even found some of his socks stuck between the couch. Of course Sungmin was over here every weekend, and even though he and Kyuhyun still bickered, they’d come to tolerate each other, and all of us, including Hyukjae and Changmin, spent a lot of Saturdays playing monopoly and fighting over house properties until the wee hours in the morning— it had become a sort of tradition that everyone loved. 

 

I was pulled out of my head when Kyuhyun dropped his duffle bag on the floor beside me to hustle to slip his shoes on. 

 

“Come on, go,” he urged, pushing me out the door after he’d grabbed his bag back up. “They’re waiting.”

 

You’re probably asking what all the rush was, and where on earth were we going?

 

Funny story, we actually didn't know we were going on a trip until yesterday afternoon when our friend, Siwon, had suggested the idea. The semester had officially ended yesterday, and he had offered me and Kyuhyun a little trip to his family resort up in the mountains as a celebration vacation for completing our first semester. Siwon also said it wouldn’t be a problem if we wanted to bring along a couple of friends, and naturally, we thought about Hyukjae and Changmin.

 

Kyuhyun and I had been all over the idea, but when we came home with it, Hyukjae and Changmin had been a little hesitant to agree. I don’t know what it was, but those two didn't seem to like Siwon very much. Kyuhyun had told me that it was because they were jealous, but how was that possible? Siwon had nothing that could outshine Hyukjae. 

 

The thought had me smiling, and I felt a smack on my arm. “I know you’re excited, but you could focus a lot less on smiling creepily and instead help me open the damn door open,” Kyuhyun scolded. 

 

I blinked out of my thoughts to see him struggling to grab the door quite unsuccessfully with his pinky. He didn't have any other free fingers because on his way out, he’d managed to convince me that we needed to bring an umbrella and a extra scarf and hat each in case it was still snowing outside. 

 

“You really brought too much,” I commented as I pushed Kyuhyun out the way to help him get the door. As I pulled it open, a blast of icy windy hit me in the face, and I could see the snow whirling about at the force. 

 

I held it open for Kyuhyun to pass, and on his way out, he made sure to hit me with his duffle bag. I poked him in the ribs as I followed behind him, and he turned around to try hitting me again, but he didn't get to. 

 

Two big arms grabbled him up around the torso and hugged him tight from behind as his attacker laughed into his ear. 

 

“Morning, sweetheart,” Changmin greeted, kissing Kyuhyun’s cheek a couple times in a few hungry kisses. 

 

Kyuhyun grunted, letting Changmin cling to him, probably welcoming the hug because the cold wind was making it unbelievably cold. 

 

“It’s amazing how much energy you can have so early in the morning,” Kyuhyun grumbled. Changmin only laughed, and hugged him tighter. He ducked down for a kiss on the mouth this time and Kyuhyun reached back to meet him halfway. 

 

I looked away to give them some privacy, and turned to watch for Hyukjae. He was just parking his car in front of our building, and when he finally got the car parked, he came over to meet me. 

 

“Good morning, Hae,” he greeted with a broad smile. 

 

“Morning,” I breathed out against his lips as he ducked down for a kiss. When I pulled back, I saw the snow collecting on his hair, and I took one of the extra hats Kyuhyun had brought down and pulled Hyukjae down by his scarf. 

 

“You’re going to catch a cold like that, and then you’ll be no fun at the resort,” I said, reaching up to pull the hat over his head. He chuckled, letting me fix his hair that was peeking out from under the hat, and then pulled me into another peck before he was leading me over to the car because it was getting too cold standing outside. 

 

As we went to his car, I waved to Kyuhyun over my shoulder as he and Changmin were going over to Changmin’s truck. 

 

We had all agreed that we would travel separate after Hyukjae and Changmin got into a childish squabble about who was the better driver.

Hyukjae opened the door for me and when I got in, he hustled around the car to hop into the driver’s side. He laughed as he came in, shaking the snow from head and off his sleeves. 

 

“Hopefully the highways aren't too bad yet,” he said, still brushing snow off. I reached over to help him get a few flakes off his scarf. 

 

“Things might only get worst once we start heading north, but it’s ok, I’ve got lots of coffee in case we get stuck somewhere,” I grinned, pointing to the thermos in my hands which was the only thing I’d brought down. 

 

Hyukjae chuckled, giving me leg a pat before he was buckling himself in and we were pulling out behind Changmin’s truck that was rolling cautiously though the snow. 

 

“Maybe we should’ve left earlier,” I said uneasily, watching the empty roads pass by us. “They could close the highways if the snow doesn’t let up.”

 

Hyukjae passed me a reassuring smile. “At least we’ll have coffee and each other, right?” 

 

That caused me to laugh, settling down into my seat as we started our four hour journey. 

 

Thankfully, the snow had stopped about an hour into our drive, so there wasn’t too much worry anymore about getting stuck in the snow somewhere on the highway. 

 

By the time we were pulling up in front of Siwon’s huge resort, Kyuhyun had his head sticking out the window, gazing at the place with wide excited eyes. As we rolled up beside Changmin’s truck, I could see Changmin pouting miserably behind the steering wheel as Kyuhyun gushed about how awesome Siwon was for inviting us to this place. 

 

I laughed as I saw Hyukjae getting the same look on his face as I rolled down my window to pass Kyuhyun a high five as I stretched over Hyukjae to reach Kyuhyun leaning out his window. 

 

“I’ll give him a call to let him know we’re here,” I said, as I settled back into my seat, but Kyuhyun shook his head. 

 

“I already texted him. He said he’d come out to meet us.”

 

As Kyuhyun said that, we all heard someone calling out to us and we turned to the front of the resort. Siwon was clad in a black coat, bundled up in a heavy scarf and earmuffs. 

 

“Hey guys!” He greeted as he came up to my window with a huge smile on his face. “How was the drive?”

 

“Not bad, although there were some ice on the roads” I replied with a smile. “I’m just glad we’re finally here.”

 

Siwon beamed. “I’m glad you guys are here too! I can’t wait for us to go sledding!” 

 

Kyuhyun made an excited noise and I glanced over at him to see him making a little fist pump.

 

“Why don’t you guys park around the back. I’ll meet you there, ok?” Siwon said after passing Kyuhyun a grin. 

 

I nodded, and Siwon smiled, straightening up to give us directions on how to get to the back of the resort. 

 

“There’s a small parking lot where you can park and still be close to your rooms,” he informed, then stepped away from the car when Hyukjae nodded and began driving. I saw Siwon make a run back inside the place to meet us in the back. 

 

Just as he promised, the lot was near to the doorway that lead up the stairs to where our rooms were. The place inside was incredibly huge and extravagant, and all of us kept looking around in awe like a group of school children on a trip. Siwon showed us to our rooms that were right next to each other. 

 

The place was usually only opened in the summer, and because it was the middle of winter, the place was deserted expect for us, which was all the more exciting. 

 

“Whoa! Look at this view!” we heard Changmin shout from his room. That caused me and Hyukjae to pass each other looks before we were making out way over to our own balcony to see what Changmin was talking about. 

 

Coming closer, I marveled at how incredible it was indeed. There was circular table with a fire pit in the middle of it, with wooden benches set up around it overlooking the snowy hills and the mountains in the distance. 

 

“We can get the fire going later tonight and roast marshmallows,” Hyukjae said with an excited gleam in his eyes as looked down at me. 

 

My nose scrunched up at that. “But it’ll be cold out on the balcony,” I pointed out, but Hyukjae chuckled, giving my nose a playful pinch. 

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep you warm,” he said, causing me to blush, but laugh as I pinched his nose back. 

 

“Ok, I look forward to it,” I said, causing Hyukjae to smirk. 

 

After we got settled in our room, Siwon came to get us, saying we could start our trip with a little sledding. 

 

I made sure to bundle up in thick layers and a scarf and gloves. Hyukjae wore the same, although he kept on the hat I’d given him. As we came out of our room, Kyuhyun came waddling out of his, looking incredibly warm with the amount of clothing he was wearing. Changmin was dressed lighter, but Kyuhyun was struggling to get a scarf around his neck as they bickered out in the hallway. 

 

Siwon let them battle it out, and in the end, Changmin agreed to wear the scarf, and then we were all following Siwon through the resort and back outside. It was a ten minute walk to where he claimed was the perfect sledding spot, and I could see why. The hill was incredibly long and steep, prefect to go sliding down. 

 

Kyuhyun let out a whoop, and Siwon laughed, grabbing onto his hand to lead him over to where the sleds were. Changmin once again had that miserable scowl on his face as he followed behind the two, and Hyukjae and I were stuck trying to keep our laughing quiet so Changmin wouldn't here. 

 

There was a little shed with sleds in them and Siwon grabbed one for him and Kyuhyun, Changmin reluctantly got one for himself, and Hyukjae and I got one to share. 

 

Siwon went down first, showing us the “proper” way to sit down. 

 

But Hyukjae didn't really seem to care because he laid down on the sled and had me get on top of him, before kicking us off. It ended with Hyukjae getting a lot of snow to the face and me having to help him get it off while trying not to laugh too much. 

 

Siwon urged Kyuhyun for them to go next, and Kyuhyun was too excited to say no. Siwon made Kyuhyun sit in front of him, and Changmin wasn't at all pleased, but there was nothing he could do because Kyuhyun looked too happy. 

 

After everyone went at least once, we got into the habit of things and came up with weird ways to go down the hill. 

 

Changmin was acting like a dead lump until Kyuhyun finally seemed to notice and went over to him. He pulled him down for a quick kiss before he was dragging him over to a sled where he shoved him down and then got on himself and the two went tumbling down the hill, falling off at the end and rolling the rest of the way down with loud laughs. 

 

Hyukjae seemed to like going down backwards the best, and that was our signature move. 

 

We probably spent a good hour out there until our fingers got too cold to carry the sleds back up the hill. We then decided it was a good time to head back inside, and Siwon said we could spend the rest of the afternoon exploring the place and that he’d get himself busy setting up a dinner for us. 

 

So the four of us went back to our rooms to change out of our coats and into dry sweaters before we went back out into the hall to decide what to do now. 

 

“Siwon said they’ve got a pool table, maybe we can see if we can find it,” I suggested, looking up at Hyukjae to see what he thought. We had talked about him teaching me pool recently, but we didn't have a place to play. But now seemed like the perfect opportunity. Hyukjae seemed to remember about our talk, and he nodded in agreement. 

 

But Kyuhyun looked like he didn't want to. “Eh, you guys can go. I don’t really feel like chucking a few balls around a table. Maybe we’ll go find Siwon and see if he needs help.” 

 

“No,” Changmin immediately protested, getting an eyebrow lift from Kyuhyun. “Let’s do something without him.”

 

“Why?” Kyuhyun questioned, causing Changmin nose to scrunch in distaste.

 

“If you keep hanging around him, you’ll forget about me and then I’ll be all alone this entire trip,” he said sulkily, trying his best to be overdramatic. 

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and slipped his hand around Changmin’s arm, tugging him down the hallway. 

 

 “Come on, you oaf. Maybe if I throw you in the pool, you’ll start thinking right again,” he said, but Changmin suddenly lit up like a puppy. He pumped a fist in the air with a jump, completely forgetting about his Siwon dilemma. 

 

“Aw cool! There’s have a pool here? Come on babe, I’m gonna jump off the diving board and do a backflip! I saw it on the internet.”

 

Kyuhyun cringed as if he could smell a bad idea brewing, but went along as Changmin was now the one dragging him down the hall. As they walked, Changmin pulled his hand out of Kyu’s and slipped it around his waist, not that Kyu looked like he minded because the two were now in an argument with Kyu saying Changmin was gonna end up killing himself, and Changmin insisting that he could do it. 

 

From beside me, Hyukjae shook his head at the pair before inclining his head down the other side of the hallway. 

 

“Shall we go scout out that pool table?” he asked, a smile on his lips. 

 

I nodded eagerly, letting him take my hand as he lead me down the hall, both of us getting lost in conversation as Hyukjae started telling me his greatest pool story. 

 

When we finally found the game room with the pool table, we spent about a few hours in there as he started from scratch teaching me the game. 

 

And boy, was it a lot harder than the movies made it look. At first I couldn't quite get the hold right, then another problem was knowing with ball to aim for, and then understanding what the actual objective of the game was. But Hyukjae was a good coach and I got it in no time. 

 

We ended up playing a few games, and because Hyukjae was a softy, he went easy on me and let me win most of the rounds.

 

After we had enough of being indoors, I proposed we go outside and play around in the snow for a bit. 

 

“But our coats are back in our room,” he reminded me. 

 

I wiggled my eyebrows. “That’s what makes it fun,” I said, already heading towards the door in the game room that lead outside. I heard Hyukjae chuckle before he was following behind me. 

 

That’s how we ended up running around and screaming as we kept trying to tackle each other into the snow. That didn't last too long, however, because in no time the cold was getting to us, and so we ran back inside where we huddled in the game room for a few minutes, laughing and trying to get the snow off each other while trying to warm up. 

 

Apparently Kyuhyun and Changmin had seen us from wherever they were playing outside and as we were trying to warm up, we saw Changmin barge into the game room with Kyuhyun trying to pull away as he was dragged along behind. 

 

From the looks of it, they’d went up to their room and had changed out from their pool clothes. Changmin was in his third sweater for the day, and Kyuhyun was clad in a jacket. 

 

“I challenge you guys to a snowball fight!” Changmin yelled only to jerk Kyuhyun along with him as he ran outside into the snow, jumping into the high piles settled everywhere. 

 

Kyuhyun was wearing Changmin’s huge coat that was threatening to swallow him whole, with only his nose and eyes peeking over the top of the collar as he watched with annoyed eyes as Changmin trampled about in the snow in just his sweater. 

 

“You moron, you’re going to get sick!” He tried yelling at him, but Changmin just laughed and tackled Kyuhyun, causing both of them to go plummeting into the snow.

 

Hyukjae laughed and dragged me back out to join them, starting off with a snowball to Changmin’s back. Changmin yelped, but spun around quickly and threw one back. 

 

In no time, it was all out war, with Hyukjae and me on a team, hiding behind makeshift forts as we fired snowballs at Changmin and a very unamused Kyuhyun. 

 

As a snowball came flying at me, Hyukjae grabbed me around the waist and pulled me down behind our fort, but we ended up falling backwards into our fort, causing it to collapse. We were laughing as Changmin came running at us, yelling that we were going down. 

 

Soon, Siwon came looking for us for dinner and we all had to trudge back up to our rooms to change again. Dinner was lovely, with good food and funny stories being passed around the table, although Hyukjae and Changmin were still a bit uneasy with Siwon. 

 

When that was over, Hyukjae and I went back to our rooms. It was dark out already, and I was a little disappointed because I wanted to go back out in the snow. 

 

“What about that marshmallow idea?” Hyukjae suggested with a grin. I thought about it, glancing at him from where we were both staring out the glass door at the balcony. He looked thrilled at the idea, and that alone made me agree.  

 

He smiled widely. “Ok, I’ll set everything up. Maybe you can go get some marshmallows and hot chocolate from downstairs,” he said, and I nodded. 

 

As I slipped out into the hallway, I smiled as the idea of sitting around a fire with Hyukjae. It seemed like a weird idea, but it sounded fun. 

 

In the kitchen downstairs, I asked around for the goodies and the nice staff members were happy to help me out. I ended up going back upstairs with two steaming cups in my hands and a bag of extra large marshmallows tucked under my chin as I had no free hands to hold them with. 

 

When I got back to the room, I used my foot to knock, and Hyukjae popped the door open with a laugh when he saw the way I was carrying everything. He eased the marshmallows out from under my chin and took one of the cups, letting me inside so he could close the door. 

 

Curious as to what he’d done while I was gone, I went with eager steps over to the balcony. As I got close enough to see, my eyes widened before I was smiling ecstatically. 

 

“It looks so pretty,” I marveled, stepping outside to feel the cold air burn my skin. But I couldn't focus on that as my eyes focused, instead, on the large fire set up on the table and blankets lining one of the benches, only now causing me to realize our bed was missing all it’s sheets. 

 

Hyukjae came out laughing, holding my jacket in his hands as he passed it to me. He had slipped his on while I was checking everything out. I put my cup down next to the fire and pulled the coat on. As I did that, Hyukjae ripped the bag of marshmallows open with his teeth before resting it down. He then reached into his back pocket and pulled out two wooden chopsticks causing me to burst out in laughter. 

 

“Did you snatch those from when we were having dinner?” I asked, and Hyukjae laughed too, nodding as he stabbed a marshmallow with the chopstick, then passed it to me. 

 

“Yup, I figured they’d work fine,” he said, spearing a marshmallow for himself before he went over to the bench and settled down with his legs draped up across the seat. He then patted the space between his legs and I went over to him where he pulled me down against him. 

 

Hyukjae then moved the blankets around us so that we were wrapped up in a cocoon. My hot chocolate was still in my hands, and I took a sip to warm myself up before I stretched the marshmallow chopstick out to the fire. But there was a slight problem.

 

“Aw, I can’t reach,” I pouted, realizing that the table was too far away for the chopstick to reach. Hyukjae let out a sheepish chuckle from next to my ear. 

 

“I guess they didn't work as well as I though they would.” 

 

“It’s ok, we can just eat them like this!” I pulled the marshmallow off the chopstick and held it for him to open his mouth. Hyukjae grinned and opened up to take the whole thing in his mouth, chewing down happily. 

 

He then pulled his off the stick and fed it to me. We washed it down with a sip of hot chocolate and I swear I couldn't feel the cold. With the warmth of Hyukjae pressed up against my back, the fire going, the blankets around us, and hot chocolate in my hands, the cold wasn't a problem. 

 

“Your nose is turning pink,” he said, setting his cup down to hug me closer. He then leaned down to kiss me on the nose. “It makes you look like a bunny,” he chuckled in my ear, pausing to kiss me there. 

 

With the steam coming out of my cup, keeping our faces and my hands warm, and the stars keeping the sky warm, I couldn't help but smile as I snuggled against Hyukjae. 

 

It’s funny how a couple of months ago, things were completely different. Sungmin always joked that I was the one to turn Hyukjae nice, that he had a soft spot for me. I completely disagree. Hyukjae’s always been nice, maybe he was just lonely before. But not anymore, because I was here now, and we had each other. 

 

 


cheesy ending

things are officially over now. thanks for reading guys