Chapter 2

Soft Spot for You

It had been three days since I had last seen Kyu, and here I was once again lying on my bed not knowing what to do with myself. Even though the sun had long set, I didn't want to sleep yet so I had decided to read, but soon got distracted. 

Hmmm... Maybe I should just get a summer job. I know I don't need the money but it would be better than wasting away in my bedroom all day. And plus, I could donate my earnings to charity. It would show that Umma had a hard working son - she would like that... but where would I find a job?

I pondered the question for a while when there was a knock on my door. I sat upright and went to open it. 

Standing there was one of the house maids. "The lady of the house would like to have a word with you, young master," she informed me. 

"Ok. And I've asked you before to stop calling me 'young master'. I don't like it... just 'Donghae' is fine," I said with a pout. 

She let out a laugh before correcting herself. "Ok, Donghae. Your mother is waiting for you in her study." I smiled widely and thanked her before making my way downstairs. 

When I reached the study, I knocked on the door and waited until a 'come in' was heard. I pushed the door open and closed it quietly, then made my way to stand in front of the large mahogany desk that was situated in the center of the room. Umma didn't spare me a glance as she continued to read the file in her hand. She was a slim woman in her late forties. Her hair was pulled back in a tight bun which showed her sharp features, and she had on a fresh layer of heavy makeup despite it being quite late in the night. 

"You called for me, Umma?" I asked, trying to get her attention. 

"Ah, yes. You do remember me telling you about the business party that I will be hosting here in a couple of days, right? It will be to celebrate the merging of my company with Lee Corporations. This is a very important first impression so I expect you to be on your best behavior," she spoke in a serious manner as her fingers busily typed something into the computer. 

"Yes, Umma... but I'm always on my best behavior," I mumbled without thinking. 

She stopped typing and turned to me with a cold stare, eyes narrowed. 

Ugh! Stupid! Why'd you say that?

"Do you think it's easy to run a company like this?" 

"W-What? No, of course not," I said, shaking my head furiously, trying to take back what I had said.

"After all the hard work I put into this business, how can you take it so lightly? That's it. Get out of my house." 

"What?! Why?!" I exclaimed as she started to drag me towards the door causing the maids in the area to watch helplessly as I pleaded with her to let me stay. 

When she got me out of the house, she slammed the door in my face and that was it. 

I stood there in the doorway, panicking, not knowing what to do. 

This is the first time she's done something like this... she must be really stressed out with the new company partnership.

I sighed. 

I had to get moving - I couldn't stay out here all night and I'm sure she wasn't going to let me back in. The only place I could go was Kyuhyun's place but I'm pretty sure he was working tonight so that's where I headed. 

A while later I was standing in front of the bar but made no move to go inside. 

I had never been inside and Kyu had told me some pretty scary stories about the drunk customers he had dealt with, making me a little scared. I stayed there for a while until I mustered up the courage to go in.

Once I entered cautiously, I took in the scenery around me. It was dark with colorful lights flashing from overhead, heavy music being played by a live DJ and there were people scattered everywhere, most were gathered on what I assumed was the dance floor. Stretched out along one side of the bar was a long counter. Behind it, rows of alcohol bottles lined the shelves. That's where I found Kyu who was at the moment placing a little umbrella decoration into a martini glass before handing it to the woman sitting there. 

As I approached the bar and took a seat, he didn't look up as he busied himself to get a glass, expecting an order. "Can I get you something to dr-" 

He clearly wasn't expecting to see me as he blinked his eyes a couple of times to make sure it was really me. 

"Hae?! What are you doing here?" he asked as he eyed me in my home attire. 

I flashed him a smile. "I'm here to see you, obviously." 

He gave me a doubtful look from behind the counter, waiting for me to say more. 

I looked down at my lap and started playing with my fingers. "Uh... C-Can I stay over at your place tonight?" 

"Why?" 

I sighed. There was no way of getting around not telling him so I did. When I had finished giving a brief overview of the situation, Kyu looked like he was ready to hit someone. "How can she just throw you out like that?" he asked loudly, ruffling his hair in frustration. 

"It's ok, really. It's not her fault anyway... it's just the stress from work lately," I mumbled. 

Before Kyu had a chance to retaliate, there was a loud call from the other end of the bar. "Bartender!" 

Kyuhyun looked over to the voice and huffed in annoyance. "That drunk bastard has been here all night. He can't even see straight and yet he keeps drinking. So annoying," he grumbled. 

He then turned to me. "You stay right there," and handed me a coke before leaving. 

As he walked off, I rested my head on the counter top, feeling a little sleepy despite the loud atmosphere around me. A couple of minutes later, I was slowly losing consciousness when I noticed someone take the seat right beside me. 

I lifted my head from my arms to see the stranger looking directly at me with unfocused eyes, realizing he was the 'drunk bastard' Kyuhyun had referred to earlier.

When he saw that he had my attention, he smiled lazily. "Hey there, kid."