Chapter 3

Soft Spot for You

I panicked a little and looked around the bar checking for Kyu. He was all the way at the other end looking bored as he was getting told off by Heechul. 

“Uh…h-hi,” I managed to stammer out, focusing back to the person in front of me. 

“Awww. You’re so cute!” the stranger squealed. “What’s you’re name, sweetie?” 

This stranger was scaring me. Nevertheless I answered, not wanting to be rude. “H-Hae.”

“Hey? Didn’t you already tell me hi?” He seemed a little perplexed. “Maybe you didn’t hear me. What’s your name?” he asked a little louder. 

“D-Donghae. But everyone c-calls me Hae,” I replied, realizing that the stranger had mistook my name for a greeting. 

“Oh! Well that makes you even cuter.” The stranger all of a sudden shot his hand out and made a grab for the soda Kyu left for me. Thinking it was alcohol, he tried downing it in one shot but had to stop soon after as the gas caused him to let out a couple of loud choking noises. 

I wanted to help but really didn’t know how so I kept on staring at him, helping him in the only way I could think of, which was silently praying he wouldn’t die. 

He pounded his chest a couple of times and that seemed to do the trick. 

When he calmed down, he introduced himself. “Lots of people call me Min…but I prefer if you call me Minnie. Kinda like Minnie Mouse!” The man said with an enthusiastic voice. 

Mouse? I titled me head a little looking for anything that screamed ‘mouse’ about his face but nothing did. Actually, now that I’m paying attention, he looks more like bunny. A drunk, blonde bunny, but still. Bunnies are friendly so I guess I should give this mister a chance.

“I saw you across the bar from wayyyy over there,” he said pointing in the wrong direction, “and you looked sadddd. What’s the matter, hun?” he asked with a pout. 

“Uh, I was just… a little sleepy.” It was true. 

“Sleepy? Well, why didn’t you say so. I can tell you a bedtime story—oh! I sing the best lullabies!”

Up until now, I had forgotten that the elder was drunk, but now I guess it was starting to show. 

“Uh n-no it’s fi—” I didn’t get to finish as ‘Min’ clapped his hand around the back of my neck and pulled my face towards his torso. Because we were both still sitting, I was leaning off the seat with my head squished up against his chest, and it was uncomfortable, not to mention weird. Now I’m starting to think that not all bunnies are gentle and fluffy. 

I was a little surprised when the bunny man actually did start singing. He was singing quite loudly too and I watched as the club lights illuminated the faces of some people passing by and saw them giving us strange looks. This is so embarrassing! 

Seriously, how does Kyu not notice this? I thought he was coming back soon but now I’m being sung to by someone with too much alcohol in his system and clearly not enough singing lessons to even be called a decent singer— or maybe it was the alcohol. But then how do people do karaoke when they’re drunk? I bet they sound terrible, especially with the microphone. Imagine if— wait, no. Focus, Hae! We’ve got a serious situation at hand. 

First, I need to get off his chest. I managed to place my hands on his chest and pushed slightly but my captor had a really tight grip and had finished his first song, and was now beginning to sing another. 

This is tiring and my neck is starting to hurt. I decided to attack his face so I poked his cheek and he looked down at me. “I changed my mind mister minnie. I’m not sleepy anymore.” 

“Oh great! Now we can talk and get to know each other,” he said, releasing me from his grip. “So we’ll start by talking about why we’re here. I’ll go first!” 

I just nodded.

“So this morning, I woke up to knocking on my door and when I went to go check, it turned out to be my ex boyfriend standing there looking as stupid as ever. That idiot was there to dump me. Said something about me being too uncommitted and whatnot. I mean, can you believe that? He’s just too clingy, always asking me to go out on dates and always wanting to hang out. Like seriously, just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean we have to see each other all the time. Just because we don’t talk for a week doesn’t mean that we’re ‘drifting apart’”. He made air quotations. “That bastard was just insecure because he wasn't good in bed." 

I hope that sentence doesn’t send mister bunny to hell. I don’t think bunnies can stand the heat. 

“All my life I’ve just wanted to live a nice life. New York sounds exciting but I haven’t saved up that type of money yet. My mom was a good lady and she would always say that the quick worm gets the bird…wait…I don’t think that’s how it goes.”

Weren’t we just talking about his break up? How did we get to his mother and her worm philosophy? I think I might have zoned out a bit. 

This is starting to sound like a mini therapy session. I felt the need to say, ‘and how do you feel about that?’ but resisted the urge. Besides, how would he respond to his feelings about a worm eating a bird? I, for one, kinda feel bad for the worm because it might get a tummy ache. 

“But anyways, who needs douche bags like that? We just have to forget about men. We’re strong independent women. Nothing’s gonna break us down!” He shouted whilst making a determined fist and as strong a gaze as his drunken state allowed. 

Huh? I looked at the older for a while just to make sure he was indeed a man and not a women like he had just exclaimed. That must be the alcohol talking again. And what did he say about forgetting men? Oh, right, he was dating a guy- or more like dated. 

“I’m sorry mister but I like girls.”

“That’s what they all say until they get a little taste of this,” he said while wiggling his eyebrows. 

“There you are, Min,” I heard a foreign voice say. We both looked over to see a man come to stand besides my drunken companion. 

The dim lights shone against his face and to say he was good looking would be an under statement. He had his hair styled up to look messy but I could see that it had been thoughtfully arranged. He wore dark denim jeans and an opened black suit jacket, which showed off a tucked in white collared shirt that had the first three buttons undone. Out of all the people I had seen where a suit, he was by far the one who looked the best. And let’s not forget about his face that looked as if it had been sculpted by careful hands. 

Geez, Hae. Pull yourself together! You sound like you belong in a sappy, romantic drama and this would be the scene where the girl meets her true love for the first time. But seriously, he looked perfect— just what I want to be like when I get a little older. 

While I was busy admiring the newcomer, mister bunny seemed to recognize him. “Hyuk!” He stood up quickly only to fall over his own two feet, but the new stranger managed to catch him and righted Min but still kept an arm slung around the shorter man’s shoulders. 

‘Hyuk’ turned his attention to me and I had to keep my eyes from roaming around his face. 

“I’m sorry for any trouble my friend might have caused. To make it up to you, I’ll pay your bill.” 

I must have looked pretty stupid because after he was done speaking I was still staring dumbly at his eyes. When he raised an eyebrow, I mentally smacked myself. “I-It’s fine. Mister bunny— I mean Min hyung wasn’t any trouble, and I just ordered a c-coke.” 

Mister bunny, or I guess now Min hyung, piped up, “Awww. Did you hear that? He called me ‘Min hyung’. And you tell ’em, Hae.” He turned to his friend. “We’re best buddies now and tomorrow we’re going to get our nails done. I was thinking about getting palms trees painted on. What do you think, Hyuk?”

‘Hyuk’ looked unfazed as he muttered out, “Alcohol makes you a whole different level of crazy, doesn’t it?” 

“I’m not crazy! I’m lovable!” 

“We’re leaving.” He and Min hyung were about to head out when ‘Hyuk’ looked at me through slightly narrowed eyes. “Aren’t you a little too young to be at a club?” he asked suspiciously. 

I got a little panicked, but managed to squeak out that I was waiting for someone. The older man looked somewhat doubtful but left the matter alone. 

When the two left, I was still thinking about the one called ‘Hyuk’ and after a while, I really did smack myself.