Chapter 30

Soft Spot for You

Donghae’s POV

 

I woke up to the sound of birds outside. 

 

From the numb feeling in my hand, I knew that I’d slept in the same position too long last night. I was laying stomach down on the bed which seemed too hard, but it didn't feel uncomfortable and I was tempted to fall back asleep. The only problem was the sun hitting me at a sharp angle as it seeped past the curtains, and I went to roll over to get out of the way.  

 

But when I started turn, I realized there was something holding me down. 

 

I blinked open my eyes and yawned, trying to find out what was wrong. 

 

Then I realized that my bed was breathing. Soft breaths were escaping parted lips, and thicks locks of hair were hanging off to the side of a beautiful face. 

 

Oh god, I’d fallen asleep on top of Hyukjae. 

 

It was too early for blushing, but that’s what happened when I noticed that my arms had woven around him neck sometime last night. His arms were around me, holding me close, and our legs were twisted together in a tangled mess. 

 

I immediately tried to move again, but Hyukjae let out a grunt in his sleep, at the same time tightening his arms around me. 

 

The noise startled me, and I settled back down on his chest cautiously, peering up at his face to see if I’d woken him up.  Thankfully it was a false alarm, but now we were more tangled than before. I sighed, and decided to give up. After all, Hyukjae looked so warm and comfortable, and I was definitely feeling the same. I turned my head so that my chin was resting on his chest. 

 

Even while asleep, he looked like he was modeling. There was also a light stubble of morning hair growing on his chin, and I smiled at how handsome he looked. 

 

And to think someone like this loved me. The thought was enough to make me blush again, and I was bursting with happy butterflies inside. 

 

I must’ve stared at his face too long, because not much later, I fell asleep again. 

 

This time I was awoken by someone petting my hair. I blinked the sleep out of my eyes and lifted my  head up to meet a pair of brown eyes.

 

 “Morning,” Hyukjae mumbled with a lazy smile on his face. 

 

“M-Morning,” I stuttered, and Hyukjae chuckled, letting his hand slip from my hair and to my face where he trailed a finger in a line down my forehead to the tip of my nose. 

 

“You’re so beautiful in the morning,” he said as his eyes roamed around my face, and I blushed yet again, looking to bury my face in his chest where he couldn't see. 

 

But a groan from somewhere on the floor had us both looking over curiously to find a rather interesting sight. 

 

Changmin had curled up onto his side, folding into himself with his head not even on the pillow anymore. Caught in his embrace was Kyu, who was sleeping as peaceful as the day he was born. 

 

Hyukjae lifted an eyebrow at the pair. 

 

“Well, I wasn't expecting that,” he said. 

 

“I haven’t quite figured it out either,” I confessed with a pout, wondering what about Kyuhyun’s bipolar tendencies when it came to Changmin. One minute he was pushing him away and the next he was cuddling him. 

 

Hyukjae laughed quietly. “How about we get some breakfast while we have some alone time?” he offered. 

 

I bit my lip, and nodded timidly, causing Hyukjae to break out into a dazzling smile. 

 

“Ok, let’s get a move on,” he urged, suddenly looking fully awake at the idea of breakfast. 

 

I carefully shifted off him, wobbling a bit because of the numbness in my legs. Hyukjae was next to climb off the couch, and placed a hand on my back as he lead my into his master bathroom where we began brushing our teeth. 

 

When that was done, Hyukjae told me to stay put as he disappeared into his room to find something for me to wear. He came back with a neat little pile of what looked to be beige shorts and an olive green long sleeved shirt. 

 

I smiled thankfully at him. His cheeks turned pink, and he rubbed the back of his neck anxiously like he was debating what to do next. 

 

He suddenly leaned in and pecked my on the forehead, causing me to blush bright red. You would think with the number of times we’ve kissed already I would stop blushing. 

 

“That was my morning kiss,” he muttered under his breath before he hustled out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him. 

 

I waited another moment to make sure he was gone before I lifted my hand and touched the spot on my forehead, biting back a smile and holding in my squeals.

 

The morning was going so well that I felt like I was floating on cloud nine. I calmed myself down with a warm shower, and got changed quickly before heading back to the living room. 

 

Hyukjae was already there, tiptoeing around Changmin and Kyu as he tried grab his wallet at the end of the coffee table. 

 

When he saw me he smiled, running his eyes over me. 

 

“You look good,” he complimented, making me giddy.  

 

Just like his clothes from yesterday, they hung off me in a baggy way, with the shorts having to be held up by a belt. I thought it looked weird, but it looked like Hyukjae though otherwise. 

 

“Thanks… Um, you look good, too,” I said, but I was wondering why he’d gone with a full suit. The only thing missing was his tie, but he looked very handsome, and I had to remind myself not to stare too long. 

 

Hyukjae seemed to catch onto my unspoken question. 

 

“I’ve got to get to the office after everyone leaves,” he reminded me, and my mouth formed an ‘oh’ as I remembered he had work today. 

 

He then gestured for us to leave and I followed after him. We made it all the way to the lobby, and started to head outside. 

 

“It’s only a ten minute walk from here,” Hyukjae informed as we started up the street. “It’s a cute little cafe, and I swear they’ve got the best muffins. You’ve got to try them,” he said. I laughed, nodding in agreement. He smiled down at me, and startled me by taking hold of my hand. He was trying to act nonchalant about it, but I could feel the thin layer of palm sweat on his hand. 

 

I smiled at his shy behavior, and decided to give his hand a squeeze, causing him squeeze back. 

 

When we arrived at the cafe, it was just as cute as Hyukjae had promised, with calm colors and creative art decorating the place. The smell of bread and morning breakfast filled my nose as we stepped in. The place was quite busy, and some people passed us curious glances at our interlocked hands. I was starting to feel self conscious until I realized that no one seemed to care much which eased my worrying. 

 

We had to step in line, and as we waited, Hyukjae pointed up at the board. “You can order something for Kyuhyun since I don’t know what he would like.” I brought my attention to the board and spent the rest of our wait trying to pick out something. 

 

We ended up ordering two blueberry muffins, and four different kinds of breakfast sandwiches, along with four cups of coffee. 

 

On our way back, Hyukjae insisted on carrying to bag, so I was left with holding the tray of coffee. As we walked, we talked about random things. Hyukjae seemed to have a big meeting coming up this afternoon, which I kept asking questions about that he was happy to answer. The topic lead to what I was planning for the day, and I confessed that I hadn’t a clue. 

 

“Well maybe you could come by the office and help out today. Sungmin really misses you,” he said, chuckling as we stepped off the elevator and onto his floor. 

 

“Maybe I might,” I replied, which caused him to smile as he unlocked his apartment door. 

 

When we stepped inside, much to our surprise, Changmin and Kyuhyun were already up. They were sitting close to each other on the counter top, coffee mugs in hand. Kyuhyun looked like he always did in the morning— droopy eyes, messy bed hair, and sleep lines on one half his face. He was swinging his feet lightly, talking about something, with Changmin giving him his full attention as he listened politely. 

 

They both looked up when they noticed us walking in. 

 

“Morning,” Changmin greeted loudly. Kyu followed his example, except less enthusiastically. “Morning,” he grumbled. 

 

“We brought breakfast and coffee,” Hyukjae informed as he went over to place the bag on the kitchen island. I followed behind him and placed the coffee down also. 

 

“Good timing. I just finished mine,” Changmin said, hopping off his perch to place his mug in the sink, and then grabbed one of the coffees. Hyukjae followed suit and grabbed one for both me and him. He handed it to me, and got comfortable leaning against the island beside me. 

 

Kyuhyun didn't care for moving, so Changmin took initiative to hand him his breakfast. 

 

Random conversation was passed around as we ate, and soon, it was time for everyone to start leaving. 

 

Hyukjae had forgotten to put Changmin and Kyu’s clothes to dry last night, so they were stuck with some of his clothes. Changmin complained that the suit Hyukjae let him borrow was an ugly color, but settled down when Hyukjae threatened him with no clothes instead. 

 

“What time is it?” Changmin asked as he hustled out of the bathroom. 

 

“8:50” Kyu said calmly, watching Changmin’s eyes widen in horror. 

 

“, I told Daesung to schedule the conference call for 9!”

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes as he watched Changmin fondle with his zipper as he tried to put on his shoes at the same time. He turned to me and Kyuhyun. 

 

“I guess that means I’m dropping you guys home,” he said, still casting a disapproving look towards Changmin who was patting his pockets to see if he’d forgotten anything.

 

“Actually, while you guys were gone, Matthew called me. I forgot to tell you. He said something about picking us up,” Kyu said. I gave him a questioning look which he replied with a shrug. 

 

“I told him where we were, so I’m guessing he’s probably here already.” 

 

Hyukjae nodded in understanding and passed me a smile before he beckoned everyone out of the apartment. The elevator ride was an interesting one as we all had to listen to Changmin call in his assistant to hold off the conference call.

 

Once in the lobby when everyone was getting ready to split up, Changmin was the first to wish everyone a quick goodbye, and even managed to kiss an unsuspecting Kyu a on the cheek before he was running off with a smirk to his truck. Kyu was left with a red face and an angry scowl on his face when he realized we had seen the whole thing. 

 

Hyukjae looked like he wanted to do something similar, but with Kyu glaring over our shoulders, he settled for a simple ‘good bye’ and told me he’d call me later today, which was enough to have me squealing inside. Now I had something to look forward to later. 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Morning boys. ” Matthew greeted cheerily as we crawled into the vehicle. He’d brought the limo and was wearing his uniform which means he was on duty. 

 

“Morning, Matthew. Um… Why’d you pick us up?” I asked, curious as to how he even knew we weren't home. 

 

“You do know it’s my job to chauffeur you around, right?” he laughed, glancing at us through the rearview mirror. “Besides, if I wasn’t spending my time looking after you two boys, what else would I be doing?”

 

“Looking for a girlfriend,” Kyuhyun snickered from beside me, causing me to giggle.

 

“Maybe you should focus on your own dating troubles, son,” Matthew chuckled. 

 

“Hey! You weren't supposed to tell anyone!” Kyuhyun wailed, sending me a glare. 

 

“Aw, are you shy? It’s only a boyfriend. It’s not anything secretive like you’re pregnant or something. Wait— are you pregnant?” Matthew asked in mock surprise, winking at me when Kyuhyun looked ready to blow up. 

 

I couldn't hold in my laughter and neither could Matthew. Kyuhyun just sat there looking like he’d already killed us five times already in his head. When we calmed down, the car got silent for a moment. 

 

“Who’d have thought both of you would end up dating men?” Matthew wondered aloud after a while. “Actually, Donghae I was a little suspicious of,” he confessed, causing Kyu to bust out laughing this time and me to cover my face in embarrassment. 

 

“Speaking of which,” Matthew said, addressing me this time. “Is your boyfriend still creepily watching you from afar like that twilight fella from the movies? When you two were helping me out, he seemed so scared to talk to you, I was worried things wouldn't work out.”

 

Kyu doubled over in his seat. “Oh my god, did you hear that?” He asked, slapping my on the arm. “He just called your man a sparkly stalker vampire! Good one, Matt!”

 

“Well, he said you were pregnant!” I retaliated. 

 

That got both of us to turn and glare at Matthew through the rearview mirror, but he happily ignored us, not even trying to cover up his laughter.

 

“Putting that all aside, remember when you told me you were looking around for an apartment? There’s one up for rent in my building and I thought you guys might want to check it out.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“So what do you think boys?” Matthew asked, putting his hands on his hips as he spun around to give the place a 360 look from where we stood in the spacious living room. “It’s got two bedrooms, two baths, and a balcony. This place is perfect.”

 

“It’s great!” I gushed, scanning the room and trying to imagine how everything would look. 

 

We both turned to Kyu, who was chewing at his lip. I knew what he was thinking so I tried to play cute and desperate in hopes it would get to him. 

 

“Don’t you dare pull that,” he accused. “You know it’s too much money for me.”

 

“That’s why you’ll let me pay the rent for now until you get a better job or something,” I tried hopefully, poking him in the side, but he shooed me off. 

 

“What are you? My sugar daddy? I can’t let you do that.”

 

Matthew closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead miserably. 

 

Sugar daddy? What is wrong with the kids these days?” 

 

 


the calm before the storm  o.O