Chapter 35 (Part 1)

Soft Spot for You

Donghae's POV

 

I called Kyu as soon as I woke up. 

 

I would’ve done it last night after he left, but Hyukjae had advised me not to. He had said that Kyu looked like he had a lot running through his mind and that I should give him the time he needed to sort things out himself. 

 

And so here I was, retelling Kyu what had happened with my mother because that was one of the first things he had asked about when I called. And although most of it was difficult to remember and say, I did the best I could and told him. I was talking quietly, though, and I had to repeat a few things a couple times when Kyu couldn't quite hear me. 

 

That’s because Hyukjae was still asleep beside me. I was on my side at the edge of the bed, looking at the scene outside his bedroom window as he slept fast soundly behind me. It was one of the things that was helping me stay calm during my storytelling with Kyu— Hyukjae’s slow breathing, the warmth he was creating on the bed, and the sun seeping in through the window was all making me rather calm as I retold my story to Kyu. 

 

“I swear to god, I should have been there. That old hag would've been sorry,” he seethed over the line. I giggled as his protective side started to show and Kyu just went on ranting about how he missed out on a great opportunity. As I listened to him, I kept unintentionally moving the bed as I squirmed about, trying to kept my voice down. 

 

All of a sudden, I felt the bed shifting behind me and a heavy arm came out of no where, falling carelessly over my waist, a bare chest scooting up close against my back. 

 

“I really love to hear you laugh, but it’s too early,” a voice chuckled sleepily into the back of my head, causing me to blush bright red. 

 

“Sorry,” I whispered, despite my pitter pattering heart. I didn't turn around, just stayed still as Hyukjae got comfortable behind me. 

 

“Hae? Hae, you still there?” Kyu asked over the line. I turned my attention back to the phone as I heard Hyukjae’s light snoring pick up again as he fell back asleep. 

 

“Yeah, I’m here,” I said. Kyu was quiet over the line which left me with the conclusion that he’d finished his little rant, and he was waiting for me to say something. “So what was last night all about?” I asked, finally getting a chance to ask him. 

 

I heard Kyu huff at the other end, and I could practically see him angrily pouting on the other side of the line. 

 

“That was nothing.”

 

“Uh-huh,” I said, clearly unamused with his lame cover up. 

 

“I’m being serious,” he whined. “You two were being all lovely dovey and I didn't want to be around your grossness,” he exclaimed defensively over the line, but I knew my best friend, and I could tell when something was up. 

 

“We weren't doing anything,” I deadpanned. 

 

“Well— I could tell you were gonna,” he shot back, causing me to roll my eyes. 

 

“Are you kidding? After you left we ate Chinese and ice scream and went to sleep.” 

 

“Whatever. What are you doing today?” he asked, trying to steer the conversation around. Typical Kyu trying to keep everything to himself. I rolled my eyes again, but pretended like I didn't notice. I was going to get him to talk later anyways. 

 

“I have to go to the bank and set up an account. Leeteuk told me he would help me out with a little money for now. Other than that, I don’t really have plans,” I told him. I felt Hyukjae’s hand untangle from me as he rolled over onto his back and I turned with him this time so that I could see him. 

 

His hair was covering his eyes, so I stretched out and swept them to the side, leaving my hand to linger a bit in his hair before pulling back, just smiling and admiring him. 

 

“Can I come with?” Kyu asked. “Maybe we could head to the arcade after you’re done.”

 

So that's how plans were set to meet up with Kyu at eleven. It was only eight thirty right now, so after I hung up, I snuggled under the blankets and let the morning sun lull me back to sleep. 

 

I awoke to the bed moving. I slowly opened my eyes to see Hyukjae sitting down at the edge of the bed. He was smiling, fully dressed for work, and carrying a tray of breakfast in his hands. I sat up slowly, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I was surprised I hadn't heard him get up. 

 

“Morning sleepyhead,” Hyukjae smiled. Resting the tray of breakfast in front of me. 


“Morning sleepyhead,” I echoed back playfully, smiling at him. He chuckled and pulled himself better onto the bed and sat down next to me. As he was getting comfortable, I sat up better, pulling my legs under me as I looked over the breakfast he’d brought in. It was simple; a few pieces of buttered toast, a store bought muffin of some kind, and a few strawberries on the side and whip cream, along with two cups of coffee. 

 

“Sorry it isn't anything fancy,” he said sheepishly, leaning over me to grab a strawberry and pop it in his mouth. 

 

“It might not be fancy, but it looks delicious,” I said, laughing at the doubtful look he gave me. I turned back to the tray and picked up one of the toast slices and started nibbling on it. Hyukjae settled for the coffee, leaving me with most of the food.

 

But after a few bites of everything, I glanced over at him. 

 

“Aren’t you hungry?” I asked as I started picking apart the muffin. “Here,” I said, stretching up to offer him a piece of the muffin. The action seemed unexpected to him, but he opened his mouth for me to put it in his mouth. A few pieces later and I finally realized why Hyukjae was so shy about it— I was feeding him, and something about it felt very intimate. But at the same time, it felt normal. That made me happy when I thought how natural our time together was becoming. 

 

That was how most of breakfast time passed, with Hyukjae and I sharing the food and laughing at silly things. 

 

It wasn't until Hyukjae heard his phone ringing from the living room that he glanced at the clock on the bedside. 

 

“Oh crap.” He scrambled off the bed, leaving me titling my head in confusion. “Ah, sorry, Hae. I’m running a little late. There’s a spare key on the counter in the kitchen if you need to head out. I have to leave now,” he said, hustling to brush the crumbs off his jacket front. I blinked up at him from the bed, still nibbling on the muffin remains. I found myself nodding as he moved on to explain how the ventilation system worked in case I needed to use it. 

 

Then he looked ready to leave, although he turned back around and bent down over to bed to peck me on the cheek. “I’ll see you this afternoon,” he said, smiling at me. I blinked at him, sure there was a blush on my face. 

 

“Have a good day at work,” I stuttered, watching him beam brighter before the phone began ringing again and he was rushing out of the room. 

 

I blinked a couple more times before a smile spread across my face and I was squealing into a pillow. In only a few minutes, I heard the front door shutting. I decided now was a good time to crawl out of the comfy bed. I picked up the empty tray and took it to the kitchen. I tried my best to do the dishes without making too much of a mess, but I haven't done this too much before so I ended up with soap subs on my shirt and water spills on the floor. After I cleaned that up, I made up the bed and helped clean up the apartment a bit.



I also gave Matthew a call to let him know I was doing fine. I showered after that, and when I was done, I was ready to meet up with Kyu. 

 

It took a while to get there with the bus, and I felt even more confused as to why kyu would've left last night after such a long trip. By the time I was knocking on his front door, it was about noon. 

 

When the door pulled open, he was looking like his usual self, but something look different. I couldn't pinpoint it until he ushered me inside and I caught sight of the dark spot at the base of his neck. Movies and the internet had taught me what those where. 

 

“Is that a hickey?!” I gasped, reaching out and pulling his shirt so I could better inspect the bruise. 

 

Kyu blushed ten different shades of red as he pulled away from me, hiding the spot with his shirt. 

 

“I-It’s not!” He exclaimed defensively. 

 

“Was it Changmin?” I asked, still shocked. “Oh my god it wasssss! You and him— did you, you know, do it?” 

 

Kyu looked embarrassed, but he was scowling. He waved his hands out in a strong ‘no’ gesture. “We didn't do anything! He just got a little touchy b-but that was it! Stop assuming weird things!” 

 

I didn't know what to say except to dumbly ask him if he was sure. 

 

“Yes I’m sure!” he cried, still red as a tomato. “N-Now stop asking!” 

 

“How can I not ask? You’ve got a Changmin hickey on your neck! Does that mean you guys are together now?”

 

He looked like he was about to yell something defensively again, but then he stopped, looking like he was actually thinking about the question. “I don’t know,” he confessed with a scowled, although it was more like a pout now. “He left last night after this,” he pointed to the hickey, “saying something about not wanting to scare me and to give me time to think. So… I don’t know.” His brows drew together as he stared at the floor with a confusion looked. 

 

 


just as the title states, this is part 1 of chapter 35. the second half wasn't coming out properly and i was getting impatient, so i decieded to post this for now. sorry guys.