Chapter 20

Soft Spot for You

Kyuhyun’s POV 

 

The hour hand on my wristwatch was just ticking past four, indicating that it was almost time for me to head home. 

 

The club had been cleared out entirely. Compared to the loud music that had been blaring before, the only sounds now were the echoing of furniture scrapping against the tiles and mops sloshing wetly against the floors. Thrown in there was the occasional shouting from Heechul yelling at our newest staff member, Henry, that he was doing something the wrong way. 

 

The entire staff had pitched in for the cleanup. Even Heechul was idling around the bare dance floor, looking for spots of dust that needed to be swept. 

 

As I hung the last of the clean wine glasses on the shelf hanging above me, I let out a yawn, bringing my hand up to try and rub the sleepiness out of my eyes. I had been up all day and the tiredness had started hitting me full scale about an hour ago. I was on the verge of tipping over and falling asleep right here behind the bar.

 

I let out a sigh as I looked around my place from behind the bar, listing off the things that I still needed to do. As my eyes raked the area, I caught sight of the only customer left in the place. 

 

Changmin was still here, although he was asleep. That’s right. He had slumped over on the countertop, with his arms cushioning his head that was lolled to the side.

 

He had surprised me by staying till now. Looking at him, though, I felt a little guilty that he actually stayed and hadn't gone home instead. From all his useless chatting earlier, he had sounded like he had a pretty long day. But now here he was, sleeping in a club, waiting on me. 

 

I have to admit that I felt a little touched by his determination. But he had been here long enough and it’s about time he head home. Seriously, that position can’t be good for his neck.

 

I slugged my way over and peered down at him. His mouth was opened like he was ready to swallow the grand canyon and there was a fountain of drool dribbling down the side of his mouth and onto my counter. From somewhere in the back of his nose rumbled deep snores. 

 

I screwed up my face at the sight, but then took a minute to ignore all the disgusting things going on with him and instead, gazed at the parts of him that didn't seem too bad. 

 

There was something about him that was so peaceful and childlike that I found a smile creeping onto my face. His skin had a warm glow under the lights, his cheeks were tainted with the faintest hints of pink, and his dark hair fell in perfect waves around his face. 

 

I sighed at how soft I was turning for this jerk.

 

This big oaf that tried to flaunt himself as some bad boy casanova was here, asleep in a club, all because he wanted to take me home. That thought alone had sparks bursting in my belly, and much to my reluctance, it had me feeling giddy. And it was a feeling that ticked me off.

 

Remember Kyu, this is the same guy who tried to get in your pants the first time you met. He’s one of the bad guys. 

 

I should be yelling at him and threatening to beat the living crap out of him, not cooing over how cute he looked. 

 

But he really didn't seem like a bad guy from the way he was acting before… Maybe my anger was misplaced. 

 

Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. 

 

Just then I heard him make a grunting noise before he nuzzled his head into the counter. 

 

And I took that as my cue to stop ogling and wake him up. NOT that I was ogling. I was just— you know what? It doesn't matter. Time to get the big oaf off my counter and out the door so he could actually get some decent sleep. 

 

I grabbed one of the towels used for cleaning and hit him lightly on the head.

 

It really wasn't a hard hit, but he shot up instantly as if I had just dropped a textbook on him. He looked around with unfocused eyes, squinting and trying to regain back his eyesight. When his eyes zoned in on me, he seemed confused, and brought his hands up to rub his eyes sleepily.

 

I chuckled at how lost and oddly adorable he looked before I caught myself and stopped. 

 

I reached over the counter and snapped my fingers in his face gently. “Ay, prince charming. Over here.”

 

He stared back up at me, looking much more awake now. “What time is it?” he asked, using his sleeve to wipe the drool off his face. 

 

“Doesn't matter. You need to get going.” I tried to snap, but it came out rather softly. I blame it on the sleepiness. “You’ve been here long enough and I don’t need you drooling all over the counter top that I need to get cleaned.”

 

He gave me a deadpan stare. “You sure are a stubborn little thing. I told you already. I’m not leaving unless you’re with me.”

 

I scowled and brought my hands up to fold against my chest. Part of me was admiring him for his determination to shower me in unwanted attention and another part of me wanted to reach over and ram his head into the counter. 

 

We both entered into a little glaring competition, but I eventually gave up and sighed heavily. I really don’t have the energy to argue right now. So instead of telling him off again, I chose to ignore him, and Changmin seemed mighty fine and dandy with that.

 

I moved away from him to grab the bottle of disinfectant spray and started wiping down the countertop at the opposite end from where Changmin was sitting, keeping my eyes down to focus on my task. I moved my way closer and closer to him until I was standing in front of him again.

 

He had his head resting in his palm as he leaned on the counter, not so discreetly staring at me. 

 

I reached over and gave his head a little shove back away from the counter. “Move. I have to clean,” I slurred tiredly and he stuck his tongue out at me, but straightened up in his seat and let me do my job.  

 

As I moved the cloth around, though, I could still feel him watching at me. It wasn't a creepy stare that made me feel disgusting. It was a more curious, relaxed stare, as if he was just taking in everything I was doing.

 

I probably would’ve been angry and told him to shove off, but I couldn’t find it in myself seeing as how I really didn't care anymore. All that was on my mind was getting home and flopping down into my bed. 

 

So with that comforting thought in mind, I drifted away from him and began wiping down the machines. 

 

I heard Changmin shuffle up from his seat and I glanced over my shoulder to see him standing, looking at me as he readjusted his suit jacket that had gotten rumpled whiles he was asleep. “What?” 

 

“Is there something I can help do?” he asked, eyeing the spray bottle in my hand. 

 

I hesitated for a moment, but then shrugged. The faster I get done, the faster I get to go home. 

 

“I guess you could mop up,” I said, and he nodded eagerly and came around behind the bar after I pointed out where the mop was.

 

He began swishing it around and I watched him for a bit to make sure he was doing it properly, then turned back to what I was doing.

 

With Changmin taking care of the floors and me working on the finer cleaning tasks, my area was done in no time. 

 

Finally! Thank god. Now I get to go home. 

 

Changmin had gone back to sitting on one of the bar stools after he had finished moping up. As I passed him on the way to the back area of the club to grab my stuff, he stopped me. 

 

“Leaving now?” he asked, reminding me of an excited puppy. I nodded and I swear if he had a tail it would’ve been wagging happily right now. 

 

I ignored both him and the fluttery feeling in my stomach and went through the swinging doors. I hurriedly grabbed my bag from my locker in the staff lounge and punched out. 

 

Going back out into the club, Changmin was missing from where I had left him. I looked around curiously, but then spotted him waiting diligently by the front doors. I rolled my eyes and went over to where Heechul was inspecting the lights above, yelling out to another employee, Zhoumi, which ones to turn off without plunging the entire club in darkness. 

 

“Heechul,” I said, grabbing his attention. He spun around to look at me. 

 

“Hey, squirt. Leaving already?” he asked, flipping a piece of loose hair out of his face before catching something going on behind me. “For the love of god, Henry! Put the mic down and get off the stage! This isn’t time for you to be fantasizing about your debut! Get to work!” he hollered before looking back at me calmly. 

 

I spared Henry a sympathetic look before turning back to Heechul. “Yeah,” I replied and he nodded. 

 

“Alright then. Get home safe,” he said, reaching out to ruffle my hair and I swatted his hand away. “And good luck with that,” he added with a wink, jutting his chin out to where Changmin was waiting patiently. 

 

I shot Heechul an irritated look and decided that was my time to leave. 

 

As I stalked over to the doors, I walked right past Changmin and out into the chilly early morning air. 

 

I heard the scuffle of his shoes rushing to follow me out and he jogged to catch up. 

 

I ignored him and made a move to walk down the street towards my apartment, but Changmin grabbed me by the elbow, gently pulling me back to stand in front of him. “Where’re you going?” he asked curiously, although he looked like he already knew. 

 

I tugged my arm out of his and gave him a deadpan stare. “Home,” I answered simply and tried to leave again, but Changmin ran around me and stood firmly in front of me. 

 

“My car’s that way,” he said, pointing in the direction of the parking lot behind the club, giving me a look that said ‘don’t play tough and just listen to me’. 

 

I rolled my eyes and stepped around him. Just because I was turning sappy for him didn't me I trusted him enough to get in his car. What if he decided to kidnap me? What if he turned out to be a psychotic murdered and I was his next victim? What if he tried to make a move on me in his car? The possibilities were endless and I wasn't about to fall for his trap. 

 

He let me step around him and when I didn't hear him following behind, I breathed out a sigh of relief and began walking again. Although, some part of me felt a little disheartened that he had given up on me that easily. I guess all that talk about being concerned was just a big hoax. But then again, I was being pretty difficult. Anyone would’ve probably gotten fed up with me by now. I sighed again, feeling a bit disappointed in myself.

 

A cool wind came whistling up the sidewalk and I shivered slightly as it woke me up. 

 

Just then something came landing softly against my shoulders and I stopped short when I realized what it was. 

 

Changmin had managed to sneak up on me and had dropped his heavy suit jacket around me. I turned and gave him a questioning look. I thought for sure he would leave me alone this time. But it seemed that no matter how many times I told him to shove off, he still seemed to stick to me like a lost puppy without an owner.

 

Why was he putting up with me? I was trying to push him away, but he kept coming back? I don't get it. 

 

He was looking at me tiredly, but this time, he also seemed frustrated. “Why do you keep trying to shake me off? I’m just trying to be nice to you. And even after I waited for you for so long, you’re still gonna ignore me and tell me that I did all that for nothing?” he asked, clearly agitated. 

 

My eyes widen and I pointed to myself in disbelief. “Your bad decisions aren't my fault! You’re the one who insisted on waiting. I told you to go home. I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I don’t need some big shot fighting off bad guys or trying to play nice so that they’ll get in my pants, and I certainly don’t need you to take me home.” I took his jacket off me and flung it at him. He caught it easily and draped it over his arm. 

 

Clearly we were both tired and being that we were both stubborn and wanted things our own way, it wasn't surprising that this brawl was happening now. 

 

Changmin glared at me for a second, and I watched the gears turning in his head before he jumped at me. 

 

I thought he was going to punch me or something, but I was surprised when my feet swung out from under me, one of his arms grabbing me behind my knees and the other secured around me waist. With me cradled to his chest, he began swiftly walking back to the parking lot. 

 

For a moment, I was too stunned to move, but as soon as I realized what was going on, I began thrashing angrily in his hold, yelling for him to put me down this instant and wildly kicking my feet and swinging my arms. 

 

As he made his way to his car, I didn't make it easy for him, and kept up quite the struggle, but damn was he strong. I even tried shoving his head back and ripping at his hair, but he was persistent. All it did was make him stumble a bit before he continued walking, trying his best to ignore my crazy battle moves in his arms. 

 

By the time he stopped in front of a sleek black car, I had physically run out of energy, but I was still attempting to glare lasers through his thick skull. 

 

He tried setting me down as gently as he could, which was complicated because I started flailing about again, and as soon as his arms let go off me, his hands came smacking down on either side of me against the car window, effectively cutting off my escape. 

 

I quieted down, clutching my bag close and glared at him some more, but he was looking at me helplessly, all traces of anger gone. 

 

“Come on,” he pleaded. “We’re both tired, so why don’t you stop making this so difficult.”

 

I scoffed, but didn't say anything. Mostly because I was stuck. I kept trying to tell myself that he was a bad guy, but it was getting harder and harder to believe. Sure, he did get mad and just carried me against my will, but the way he was looking at me now as if he would be crushed if I rejected him again had me melting against my wishes. 

 

“Let me take you home,” he commanded softly. 

 

Surprisingly, I felt a little tinge of delight fly up my spine when he said that. 

 

I don’t know what it was about him, but something about the way his eyes glinted brightly with the lights of the parking lot, or the way he was standing so close to me, or the way his face contorted in aggravation, hurt and concern all at once had knots tying in my stomach and my face heating up. 

 

Changmin took my silence as an agreement and I think I did too. He smiled happily and slid his hand down to open up the passenger door for me, hovering around to make sure that I didn't run away, before he ran around to the driver’s side and got in. 

 

The car ride was completely silent and I almost ended up falling asleep if it hadn't been for Changmin asking directions to my place. 

 

I tried to stay angry at him, but the way he seemed content as he focused on the road had me pouring cold water over all heated anger I felt a moment ago. 

 

When he pulled up in front of my tiny building, I got out of the car. I didn't say anything to him and started walking away, but I heard the passenger side window roll down and I turned to see what he wanted. I tried to keep an irritated look, but it fell when I saw him smiling. 

 

“Goodnight, princess. I’m looking forward to next time,” he said, laughing when he saw me snarling at him and blushing madly from the stupid pet name he gave me. But he drove off before I could even say anything. 

 

And I swear I would've chased after the damned car just to hit that bastard, but I was too tired. 

 

Fine. Just you wait and see, prince charming. I'll throttle you the next time I see you.

 

I felt myself smiling as I made my way inside. 

 

 

 

 


 

can we just take a minute to realize that it's been twenty chapter already?

Twenty! I remembered when I first started writing this, I didnt think I was going to make it to six chapters, but now here we are.

Some of you guys are probably like "yeah, twenty chapters and nothing's actually happened so far -_-"

Aw~ guys, we're getting there. Soon, I promise :)

 

how was the little bit of changkyu? i think my fav thing about this chapter was Henry. LOL 

 

back to the eunhae drama next chap!