Chapter 12

Soft Spot for You

Hae’s POV 

 

When the elevator doors slid open to the highest floor of the building, I stepped out cautiously, looking around. 

 

There was a big, empty desk with a high counter, kind of like the ones that were in the lobby, with a fancy, metal name tag on it that read ‘Bang Yongguk’. Besides that, there was no other furniture, just the huge glass windows and a long corridor than branched out from the space the elevator had led me to. It was very modern looking. 

 

So this is where I would be working from now on. 

 

I’d never had a job before so I hope I don’t mess this up. Umma was counting on me to make a good impression for her, and if I did well, she might like me better. 

 

Is it weird that I feel delighted knowing that I’ll be seeing Hyukjae a lot more now? 

 

Ah, I shouldn’t be thinking like that. I needed to focus on finding Sungmin hyung. 

 

When Matthew had dropped me off, the woman behind the desk in the lobby had given me instructions on how to find someone named ‘Choi Siwon’. 

 

It hadn’t worked out too well because I had gotten lost and ending up spending fifteen minutes just wondering around. When I had finally found him by accident, he had redirected me, saying that I needed to take the elevator up to the last level where Sungmin hyung would be waiting for me. 

 

But there’s no one here, though, and for a minute I wondered if I had gotten off at the wrong floor. 

 

As I was about to go back into the elevator for some verification, I spotted Minnie hyung bounding up the long corridor right at me with a bright face. 

 

He tackled me in a tight hug and pulled away a second later. “Hae! You’re here!” 

 

I was about to respond but he just grabbed my hand and pulled me hastily back from where he had just come, and I was dragged into an office that I’m guessing was his. 

 

The was a huge desk in the middle of the room that was cluttered with paperwork and different colored folders sprawled about. 

 

Minnie hyung left me standing by the door as he rushed to gather up some documents from the floor, pushing them into a leather bag. 

 

“I’m so sorry that I can’t give you a tour and show you around, but I have to get to a really important meeting right now and Yunho’s gonna have my head if I’m late again, which I already am, not that it’s my fault” he rambled on as he shoved his laptop into the bag as well, crushing some of the papers in there as he did so.

 

“I have some files that I need you to scan into the system for me while I’m gone.” He grabbed my hand and tugged me over to a huge copy machine. Coming to stand over it, hyung pointed to an intimidating stack of bulging folders right next to the machine, saying that it would be a great help if I could scan those in. 

 

With hasty movements, he grabbed a folder from the top of the pile and set its contents into the machine slot and explained what to do. It wasn’t too hard and when I nodded in understanding, he gave me a sloppy hug and dashed out the door. 

 

Finally having time to take in what just happened, I let out a laugh at Minnie hyung’s actions and then took a second to look around the office. It was spacious and there were huge windows and a couple of long file cabinets against the wall. There weren’t much decorative pieces except for the Hawaiian bobble head doll on the edge of his desk. 

 

Well, I best get to work.

 

Even though it looked like a lot, it really wasn’t and I was breezing through the folders. 

 

All was going well until I was halfway through the pile when the machine let out a weird grumbling noise and then everything went quiet except for a steady beeping noise that started up. 

 

Oh no. I broke it. 

 

Uh, uh, uh… what to do? 

 

Maybe I could find someone who can help me. 

 

I peeked out into the hall but it was empty.

 

Maybe that ‘Bang Yongguk’ person was back at their desk and would be willing to spare me a minute. 

 

But he wasn’t there. 

 

I started getting nervous because Minnie hyung was counting on me but I had broken his machine. What do I do?

 

I was too busy pacing around that I didn’t hear a door being closed somewhere nearby. 

 

“Donghae?” 

 

My pacing stopped and I spun around to meet Hyukjae standing outside the first door at the head of the hallway. 

 

“What are you doing here?” he seemed confused as he came to stand in front of me. 

 

I couldn’t hold his gaze for very long and my eyes drifted to the polished white floors as I fiddled with my fingers. “I, uh, started working here today… U-Umma got me a job here and I was helping Sungmin hyung,” I said, glancing back up to see him looking surprised. 

 

He took a minute before he responded. “So what are you doing walking around out here?” 

 

I pouted at the floor as I remembered my current problem. “Hyung told me to scan some files into the computer but I broke the copy machine,” I said, looking up at him guiltily. 

 

Instead of being mad like I thought he would be, he laughed at my confession and I titled my head as I looked at him. 

 

“Come on, I’ve got some time. Let’s go see what the problem is,” he said as he let me led him back into Sungmin hyung’s office. 

 

We stood side by side in front of the lazily beeping machine and I watched as Hyukjae opened a side compartment and bent down to peer inside. 

 

After inspecting it, he stood upright again and shook his head.

 

“C-Can you fix it?” I questioned as he looked down at me. “Hyung was depending on me to finish all of these but I’m only halfway done,” I went on, pointing to the stack of folders. 

 

He looked perplexed for a moment before he answered. “Finding the problem might take a while because the machine’s so complicated.” 

 

I frowned, but he went on. “If you want, you can come to my office and use the machine there.”

 

I guess I really didn’t have a choice because I needed to get the work done so I agreed and Hyukjae looked pleased with my answer. 

 

“Ok, let’s go,” he said and before I could pick up the pile of folders, Hyukjae easily scooped them up and threw me a teasing smile as I pouted in protest. 

 

He ignored it, though, and I just let it go as I followed him into his office, which I now realized was only separated from Sungmin hyung’s by a big, empty conference room. 

 

Hyukjae’s office was a lot bigger than Minnie hyung’s and had a classy feel, and was much more organized. The windows were just as huge but the view from here was better, and there was even small sofa next to them. As expected, there was a huge desk in the middle of the room and along the wall behind it was an array of expensively framed off awards, giving off an air of sophistication. 

 

The copy machine was set off against the windowless wall and was tucked away in the corner. I guess he doesn’t use it often. 

 

I followed him over and he set the stack down on top of the cabinet next to the machine. 

 

He walked off trying to find where the plug was and I took the opportunity to stand fully in front of the machine, wanting to see if it was as easy as the other one in Sungmin hyung’s office. 

 

It looked a bit older and I was trying to figure out where the files would go when I felt Hyukjae come to stand behind me. He leaned around me so that he could push to ‘on’ button and my breath hitched when I felt his chest press lightly against my back. 

 

The feeling was gone as quickly as it had come when he pulled away and flashed me an awkward smile, pointing to the copier, telling me that it should work the same. 

 

He waited patiently as I tried out the first set of files and when he saw that everything was going fine, he left to go over to his desk. 

 

As the second file was being in and spat back out by the machine, I peeked over my shoulder to see him looking at something on his computer. 

 

I was still feeling tingly from our little moment but tried to concentrate as I continued working on the pile of folders. 

 

It didn’t take long to finish because Minnie hyung hadn’t given me much in the first place. 

 

Now that I was done, would Hyukjae tell me to leave? I pouted at the thought… I don’t wanna go just yet. 

 

I slowly turned around and spoke quietly, shifting his attention from his phone. “I’m done… s-should I go now?” 

 

“Why don’t you stay a bit,” he offered as soon as the words left my mouth. “Sungmin’s meeting still has about twenty minutes left and I don’t want you spending that time alone.” 

 

My eyes lit up, ecstatic that he wasn’t telling me to leave but I also felt myself blush. Ugh, go away stupid red cheeks. Now’s not the time. 

 

Hyukjae must’ve noticed and he chuckled, gesturing to the seat in front of his desk. 

 

Unlike his relaxed state, I sat a little stiffly, not wanting to look too casual. After all, he was my boss now. 

 

Hyukjae must’ve sensed this and told me to make myself comfortable. I shifted around in the chair a bit and when I looked more at ease, he grinned. 

 

After a moment, his gentle voice broke the drifting silence. “Were you ok when you went back home the other day? Did you get sick or anything?”

 

I wanted to bury my face in my hands when I felt my cheeks heat up again. He was concerned about me. Is it crazy that knowing that makes me happy? 

 

I bit back a smile. “I didn’t get sick. I-It was because you took care of me.” 

 

He nodded in satisfaction and looked relieved. 

 

“You know, you never did tell me why you were outside that night,” he said, carefully watching me as I hesitated, trying to come up with some decent reason. 

 

“Never mind. Don’t try to come up with a lie to tell me.” He looked slightly bothered. “It’s fine for now. You’ll just have to tell me next time,” he added, looking at me with an expectant smile.

 

I did a happy dance in my head knowing that there would be a next time, trying not to think about the fact that I would have to give him an excuse later as to why I was out that night. 

 

For some reason, I thought of Kyu and how he had reacted when I had told him. He wasn’t ok with the fact that I had been put out in the storm all because one of Umma’s files couldn’t be found and she blamed me for taking it. 

 

Recalling how he had threatened to rampage my house and ‘destroy all of her stupid crap’ and then kidnap me to live with him, I giggled, but then remembered where I was, looking up to see Hyukjae staring intently at me with a smile of his own. 

 

I blushed stupidly and he just smiled more brightly. 

 

“So how are you liking my company so far?” he asked in a playful manner. 

 

“Uh, it’s a nice building.” I wanted to face palmed at how dumb that sounded and Hyukjae just laughed, finding my answer suitable. 

 

“Why did you start working here instead of at your mother’s company, though?” 

 

Because she doesn’t want me to embarrass her in front of her employees. “Because she thought I had much to learn from a great business man like you, B-Boss,” I tried, testing out his new title. It sounded weird. 

 

“Boss?” his nose scrunched up in distaste. “Don’t be so formal.”

 

“Uh, H-Hyuk-jae…hyung?” I tried again. 

 

He chuckled. “I like it best without the ‘hyung’” he mused. 

 

“B-But you’re older than me.” Even though I called him Hyukjae in my head, I didn’t want to be disrespectful. 

 

“It’s fine. Too many people call me ‘boss’ and ‘hyung’. Just ‘Hyukjae’ is nice for a change,” he said, looking happy at the thought. 

 

And so I nodded and flashed him a sheepish smile. Now that I think about it, ‘Hyukjae’ does sound better by itself. 

 

Just then, loud yelling was heard in the hallway. 

 

“OH MY GOD! SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE! I LOST HAE!” Sungmin hyung’s muffled screams were heard and I saw Hyukjae run his hands over his face in annoyance and I giggled. 

 

If this was how work was going to be, I was looking forward to it. 

 


 

>///<