No Better Than Strangers - Baby Soul

From lyrics to stories ♪

"Will you listen to me?

To my little stories? My daily musings of things happening around me?" Jaeyeon would always ask and Kris would only reply with a nod, just to agree for the sake of agreeing. The conversation would end with a sigh from Jaeyeon. Kris would wear his headphones, going oblivious to even his girlfriend. Kris was not a good boyfriend. He looked like a bad boy outside, he IS a bad boy inside. Jaeyeon had enough of him. 

Everyone says that they are the best couple, so perfect in both inner and outer beauty. Jaeyeon was the athletic and smart girl, with brunette hair and dark purple highlights. She was a little rebellious, but hey all girls are. Kris was the ultimate prom king, he was voted for prom king by the senior girls when he was a freshman. He didn't win the title of course, a senior would have to win it. But everyone knew that the votes were just for show. Kris was tall, dark, rich and handsome. He was also rebellious, to the extent where he spouted profanities at teachers, but then his parents were the directors of the board, who could stop him? He was like the Gu Jun Pyo of Boys Over Flowers.

Naturally, these two got together by the terrible social hierachy of the school body and things never turn out right when that happens. Kris was known for his flirtatious ways, Jaeyeon for her no-boyfriend rule. Yet, Jaeyeon broke that rule for Kris. Jaeyeon was expecting flowers and roses in her first ever relationship, but Kris was not giving her any, instead the opposite. 

"What's so hard about listening to me? All you have to do is to take my side every time something bad happens." Jaeyeon tried to reason it out with Kris, but Kris would never understand. He was too busy caring about his money, his looks, his body and his popularity with girls to realise that he was attached to a girl that was wanted by the majority of the male population. 

"You're just asking me because I have the money to solve your problems. Face it, you need the money and I have it. That's all between us. Money makes the world go round Jaeyeon, understand that."
"Have I ask you to solve anything? I just want you to listen. I don't ask for solutions, but a listening ear."

Kris then ends the conversation once more with his headphones. 

Why is he so generous with his gang of friends and yet so cold-hearted with me? I am his girlfriend. Is this what I wanted out of a relationship? How did we even get together? Jaeyeon would always ask herself these questions, only to return to the thought that she loved Kris even if the world collapsed. Him being her first love was something that Jaeyeon holds dearly to and she couldn't bear to let go. 

//

Jaeyeon was smart, top in class smart. She was going to become the valedictorian of their batch. Scoring badly for a test was unacceptable, but it happened. She was in tears as she texted Kris, in hope of seeking some solace and comfort. 

Kris was the usual jock, playing basketball. His friend told him his phone was ringing, he peeped over to see who texted. Upon seeing the name, he simply ignored the message and continued. 

A few hours later, Kris replied Jaeyeon. By then, Jaeyeon was already comforted by her own gang of friends. 

K: So you failed a test. No biggie.
"No biggie?" Jaeyeon stared at the message, her healing heart broke once again. Her tears started to flow. Kris knew how important academics were to Jaeyeon and he called a fail 'no biggie'.

J: We need to talk. Usual place in half hour.

Jaeyeon needed to talk to Kris. The relationship was going nowhere, she needed a solution now, a solution that money cannot solve. A solution to make her happy again. 

//

"We're the closest to each other, and yet we are no better than strangers. You ignore me every time I text you and only reply after a few hours. You don't give me encouragement nor push me on. What are we?"

"Look, Jaeyeon, I am busy alright. I don't ignore you. I simply don't have time to check my phone as often as you do. If you want encouragement, tell me. You know I'm rich. I can buy things for you. Tell me what you need, I'll get it for you. Books? Stationery? We are in a relationship so we are a couple of course, aren't you smart enough to know that?"

"Oh really? Touch your heart and tell me how many times have you seen my message and purposefully put your phone down to do other things? I don't need monetary encouragement, I need love. I need comfort. I want to be able to seek solace within your embrace. I'm smart enough to know that we are a couple, but I am also smart enough to realise that this is not working out. Are my expectations too big for you to fulfill? I only want love and some care from you, because you are my boyfriend. You don't even pretend to care, how would I even believe that you are mine?" There, I have said it.

"Love? Oh please. How old are you to talk about love? This is high school, we aren't in a proper relationship that is geared towards marriage babe."

"Don't you DARE call me babe, as if you have not insulted my intelligence. You're a jerk, a heartless one."

"Me being heartless? Well it's not as if it's your first day meeting me. I am KNOWN for breaking people's heart."

"Oh really? Then have you tried the feeling of your heart being broken then? Goodbye Kris. I may not have anywhere else to lean upon except you, but I'm going to overcome that. You have never listened till the end of anything I have said, we were never a couple. Perhaps my expectations were high, but it was possible. All you had to do was to put yourself in my shoes for a while, to see things from my view, to recognise my flaws and still love me for who I am. You didn't. I am done with you through and through."

Jaeyeon wiped her tears away, as she turned her back and walked away. Kris could only stare at her back, her figure, becoming distant, becoming smaller. She was finally happy, she was free. They are strangers for real now, but she felt better. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Written by: infinitelykyoungjae

So this is the last week of revision before my promotional exams and yet i'm here. i needed a break from all the studying and i decided to write out this one. It may sound like a rant, so hopefully it is okay. Have fun reading guys! ^^ comments are greatly appreciated!!