Airplane - iKon

From lyrics to stories ♪

 

Please stop the airplane, it's raining, it's windy, it's just too dangerous to fly. 

No. I can't, it's too late, my heart's already gone. 

Ms Seo Gabin, please report to the departure desk immediately. This is the last call for all passengers heading to Los Angeles. The plane is taking off very soon. 

"I guess this is it. No Hanbin, No Jiwon."

I walk closer towards the departure hall, inching slowly because I am hoping for that one miracle. It's impossible. They can't possibly be here to send me off. They're so busy right now, ready for their debut. It's no longer Hanbin nor Jiwon, it never was. It was always B.I and Bobby. Because I always made fun of their names. 

//

"Gabin, don't you think Hanbin sounds cool? Our names match!"
"It's because it matches that is why it . Get a new name. You want to debut with that crappy name?"
"Ohhhh, Gabin's on fire!"
"Shut up Jiwon, you are not any better. Jiwon's a girl name. I have 2 friends named Jiwon."
"Name us then. Give us our new names."

I thought for a while. I've always thought of their nicknames, just in case but I wanted it to sound cool.

"Hanbin is... B.I because he needs to learn how to be himself and not like anyone else."
"Jiwon can be... Bobby. Because you look like a Barbie doll!"

Both simply stared at me, then laughing, cackling at me, thinking that I was joking. Who knew they would submit those names to be their stage names 2 months later during their first trainee assessment with the YG man himself.

That was five years ago. Now? It's just me. No Hanbin. No Jiwon. Just Gabin and a chockful of memories filled in my brain. 

//

"Can you not fly off? I mean, it's just a university. Go to Seoul, or Yonsei, or even Kyunghee! Why do you have to go overseas?"
"Hanbin, I'm migrating there. There's a difference. I'm merely studying there to get used to lifestyle first."
"Exactly. Why do you have to go? You hate fries and burgers. You are the Korean cuisine lover."
"Jiwon, don't stop me. I have a dream, just like you two with your hip hop dreams. I want to make it big there, not here."

Honestly, no. My parents were the reason why I'm going over. Of course I wouldn't abandon my friends like that. Especially friends who were going through tough times, preparing for their debut. They've been through so much, from the first fight against WINNER, back then Team A, and then MIX & MATCH, with a new member whose name I still have no idea. I even made friends with the other 4 Team B members. I wouldn't want to let go of this precious friendship. 

But parents are always the biggest right?

//

I take another step into the departure hall, realising that there wouldn't be any goodbyes and I flew off to L.A. 

//

Two weeks later, I received a Kakaotalk message from our group chat. After two weeks of silence, there was just this link, leading me to MelOn. They must have been too busy, but I couldn't blame them. They have been preparing for their debut since forever. I clicked it, then realising it was a song link to a song by... iKON? I pressed play and listened, smiling to myself as I read the lyrics. Another Kakaotalk message appeared before I could finish the song. 

Bin: You like the song? I wrote it while thinking of you.
Won: Eww gross, don't say that. It's as if you liked Gabin. Don't be gross.
Bin: Shut up Barbie doll. 

I simply giggled. I looked back at the lyrics and realised what he meant. 

Leaving only a light smile
You left with smiling face
Pretending to believe in our commitments
I should’ve tried everything for you
At least not to live in regret, girl

He was there. Bin was there. He saw me enter the departure hall. Only, he knew that my smile was simply a facade.

Your presence, I miss you all my life
Why don’t you sleep deeply in my arms
Why do you look at the beautiful evening sky
I’m crying again from thinking of our last day
Please

Our last day? I thought back only to realise, our last day was the day we spent alone, without Jiwon. The day where we... 

 told each other about our feelings. 

[Author's note: Hey guys, so I really had a lot of feelings after listening to this song and I decided to write a little story. I plan to elaborate further by continuing this story into a proper one-shot that I will be posting as an entirely new story. I will be posting the link here so do look out for this space for more musings by me!]