With A Smile - South Border (Original by Eraserheads)

From lyrics to stories ♪

"It doesn't matter if you fail this test, there are many other tests to score."

"Easy for you to say, you scored first in this test."

Ahreum and Kyungsoo were the elites of the school, physically and mentally. They had the looks, the brains and the brawns, but to say that they were the kingka and queenka was overboard. They were the type to stay low profile, they dislike attention. 

"Yeah, but I failed the last one, for you. Shouldn't I get a reward this time round?"
"Ya, Do Kyungsoo!" Ahreum chased him around the classroom and out to the field. 

"Do you think they will ever get together?" Yixing asked Wufan. 
"With Ahreum's attitude? Ha, never." Wufan snorted, walking away. 
"But... everyone knows they like each other!" Yixing shouted, chasing Wufan. 

 

//

 

"Don't be scared. You'll get by. Go charm the teacher with your smile and get the marks." Kyungsoo joked with the sobbing Ahreum.  
They stopped chasing each other when Ahreum found out it was a careless mistake that made her lose all those marks. 

"You know you can't win at everything." Kyungsoo explained, hoping not to light up the burning fire inside Ahreum who was fumingly mad and sad at the same time. 

"My mom..." Ahreum sighs. Kyungsoo pats her head. Everyone knew how Ahreum's mother would react if she failed a test. In comes the cane, and the nagging will never stop. Ahreum will not see the sunlight till the next A she gets. 

"Hey, it's just one topic. Your mother will forgive you. We can revise together if you want. I'm better at this topic, I can teach you."

"You're trying to show off that you're good right?" Ahreum stormed off. 

I just want to help you... Kyungsoo sighed. 

 

//

At night, Kyungsoo tries his luck for an apology. 

me: what are you doing?
pancake: studying, so I can beat you. 
me: are you listening to any music?
pancake: yes, why?
me: try this song called With A Smile by South Border.
pancake: why should I listen to my competitor? are you trying to distract me from studying? you are so mean. 

 

Kyungsoo sighs. 

//

"You have received a message from dyodyo."

Ahreum checks her phone. 

dyodyo: what are you doing?

Ahreum smiles to heself, then reminds herself that she should be angry at him. 

me: studying, so I can beat you.
dyodyo: are you listening to any music? 

Ahreum stares at her phone, which was playing T. Yoon Mi Rae's latest song "Touch Love", she smiles and reply.

me: yes, why?
dyodyo: try this song called With A Smile by South Border.

Ahreum was confused, what's with the song recommendation? 

me: why should I listen to my competitor? are you trying to distract me? you are so mean. 

Ahreum put down her phone and continued to study and revise. Her mind kept going back to the 3 words "With A Smile". She decided to listen to the song.

In a world where everyone hates a happy ending story, it's a wonder love can make the world go round. But don't let them bring you down and turn your face into a frown. You'll get along with a little prayer and a song.

Ahreum hums to the tune and she continued to study. 

//

"In a world where everyone hates a happy ending story, it's a wonder love can make the world go round." Ahreum hums a little as she got ready for the first period. 

"Oh? So you heard the song! You got distracted!" Kyungsoo walked past Ahreum's desk and initiated a conversation. 

"N-n-nooo, it's another song!" Ahreum tried to lie and deny. 

"Oh, your lying is terrible. If you heard the song, just say so. No one will blame you..." Kyungsoo smiled. You need to be nice to her, you like her. Tell her you like her.

"Fine, I heard the song and I like it. But that has nothing got to do with you, go away." Ahreum lied once more. I like the song because it sounds like you're comforting me.

//

"Xing, shall we do something to help these two freaks get together? I'm tired of seeing them arguing and fighting when they like each other. It's getting annoying, like Tao." Wufan was up to something. 
"Uh... I shall stay out of this." Yixing was obviously an honest and innocent boy. 
"Xing, you have no choice here. I have a plan." 
Yixing groaned and followed Wufan to the classroom.

//

I know I haven't been nice to you, but I hope you understand that I'm trying to hide my feelings. I like you and I am afraid to tell you. Would you be kind enough to teach me what I don't know, in school and in life? Teach me how to love. 

- Reum. 

Just like the song, when you say a lil' prayer, I'll be the answer. I won't turn your face into a frown. It's time to kiss those tears goodbye, I'm here now. I'll stay, through the bad times. I like you. Please, be my girlfriend.

-Dyo. 

//

"Yixing, you'll put soo's one, I'll put Ahreum-ssi's one." Wufan ordered.
"Isn't this lying?" Yixing was very reluctant.
"It's for their own good. It's about time they knew about their feelings for each other." Wufan placed the note under Ahreum's table.
Yixing sighed and placed the note under Kyungsoo's table. Wufan gave a thumbs up and they left the classroom. 

//

"Good morning class, take out your books, we'll start lesson soon." 

Ahreum reaches for her book, to find that a note is above and so does Kyungsoo. 
They both read the note and looked at each other. Kyungsoo's face turned tomato-red, while Ahreum looked away. She was too embarassed to say a word. She never knew he liked her. 

"This week's English test will be on Cities and Towns. Be ready to be tested on Friday." 

Class ended and Kyungsoo went over to Ahreum's desk. 

"So you... like me?" 
"Uh... kinda." 
"Kinda is not a word."
"Don't argue intellectually with me now. Yes I like you."
"Alright, then be my girlfriend. I'll make you smile more often than cry if you're my girlfriend. Just like the song okay." Kyungsoo man upped and confessed. 

With a smile, Ahreum nodded. 

 

[Author's note: I am done with the first English song! This song was soothful to listen to! Thank you to ChOrCeE who posted her comment to write about this song! I had a really hard time thinking of this one!! Hope you and the other readers like it :D I'll be flying off to Seoul (YES SEOUL, KOREA) in a few days' time and won't be back till Beginning of December. Hopefully, I get an idea for ninakai's story which is XOXO by EXO and I'll write out something before I leave (: Look out for this corner!]

PS: The text messaging part where kyungsoo texts ahreum, ahreum is named pancake because the character's full name is jeon ahreum and jeon in korean has another meaning, which is pancake! as for kyungsoo, we all know he's called D.O and dyo for short. so turns out both characters have nicknames for each other (:

PSS: I added Yixing and Kris cause I saw MMAs and they were so adorbs together ;)