His Pair of Sorrowful Eyes

A Scrapbook Memories

It was a tough day at work, followed by series of gloomy and darker days which were yet to ends. In fact, she couldn’t see a single light to be their hope in the darkness that has lived alongside with human kind over the past six months. She doubted it will end, at least not anytime soon. All she could do, as a human, was to pray and wish for the best. It was not until recently when she realized how helpless human are, how weak they are, and how selfish they are.

“He’s here again,” a woman’s voice whispered. She looked up, to find the same-aged woman smiling at her; the smile was meaningful, hiding thousands of meaning which she refused to understand.

“Good work today, Luna.” She replied, softly smiling, hiding hint of bitterness. She quickly got up, as her friends excused herself. “You did a great job today,” she complimented before Luna disappeared from her sight.

“It’s you who deserved a credit, Doctor Lee.” She grinned, joining the other nurse behind the desk. These days, there were no ends of saving life.

Lee Ji Eun, her name was supposed to be changed in a week, yet it seems the hope vanished six months ago, as the humanity ceased to exist. She looked up, finding the sky being gray, as it has always been. It has been six months, she told herself bitterly, since humanity ceased to exist. Reality has been bitter and none could ever live a happy and wonderful life, as the series of gloomy and darker days have yet to end. The world seems to grow darker day by day, human grow ruthless. Every living being were hiding the bitterness behind their bright smile. When was the last time they could saw a clear blue sky?

She could hear the alarms ringing loudly, warning the citizens of the upcoming threats and soon she would be busy. She could hear the alarms, echoing once again another, without a stop. There hasn’t been a day, where she could enjoy a peaceful morning without the alarms going off for warnings, and where the smoke didn’t dwell up in the sky, or where she didn’t have to hear the pain and screaming of those who was injured. She has to witness horror, twice worse than a doctor would. Again, the ground shook, which surprised her. A bomb has fallen. An attack was once again launched. Miserably, it has become a part of their daily life, hidings and seeking for protection.

It was one of those days, where she was relief yet sad. She would stare down for hours after a surgery, sitting by the corner of the hospital all alone. She would stare down at her palms, her mind filled with countless thoughts, all become one huge mess at times. She would always wondered if she had done the right thing, if she could have done better. Today, she saved a patient, yet it looked as if she has killed one. Failure has never been an answer to any doctors. In her case, it was even worse.

She has changed, as all of human kind has changed after the continuous series of the gloomy and darker days. She was a beautiful young lady, with a guaranteed future, a handsome and perfect boyfriend. She was a perfect lady, pure and innocent, kind and feminine, soft and cheerful. But as the world changed, she too changed. She became a woman who hide bitterness, clear sadness, and at times she became a loner and cold-hearted. Her warmth faded away, together with humanity. Everything that she could have become faded away, as all hopes faded away. One death changed her.

These days, human life becomes a toy, being played around with. Many was injured, many was hurt, physically and mentally. She was – as a doctor – left with all the responsible to save them. She was a human after all, at times she would make mistakes and failure become inevitable, she managed to save some but not all. Deaths become a daily occasion, yet still she could never get used to it. It was not her, to let a person life slip so easily. And one death changed her.

He’s here again. Those few words managed to lighten her mood, yet at the same time darken it. She took her careful steps toward the man, sitting in front of the hospital, staring to the outside world. He would always be there, day by day, embracing the darker days, alone with his loyal dogs. She would always watch him from a far, as she loses all her rights to stand by him long ago. She stands behind him, a thin glass was the only thing to keep the two apart. Again, as always, he was staring at the outside world, with his pair of sorrowful eyes. Just like her and everyone else, they shared the same pair of sorrowful eyes, yet his was deeper and sadder, which she found amusing at times.

He was quiet, embracing the silence, enjoying the echoing sounds of alarms, booming bombs, and gunshots. He was embracing them; he came to embrace all the sadness that came to greet him. He was living a pitiful life, judging from his worn-out clothes and his dingy dog. She, in the other hand, was living a better life thanks to her profession as a doctor. She looked down, to find something missing on her beautiful fingers, nevertheless she ignored it. She was in pained for years, as all of them were. But she was one who couldn’t get over it; her hands always remind her of life she failed to save, and her love which she failed to protect. Everything that was supposed to be hers was no longer hers and she has no rights to protest.

She heaved a sigh, faking a smile as she sat next to the man. She looked up to the grayish sky, before following where his sorrowful gaze was headed. He was gazing at the battle ground, where the war takes place, far away from the place where she works, yet it brought twice horrors. Day by day, it was all coming closer, and the alarms were ringing louder than usual. She would find herself wondering, each time she heard an alarms ringing or the booming sound of the bomb, how many was hurt? Could she save them? Those thougts greeted her often. She has lost many, whose life was toyed by the rutheless of human kind: strangers, friends, lovers, family.

“You’re here again,” she greeted awkwardly, hiding the pain and bitterness behind the casual and friendly greetings. “Anything to be amused of?”

“Mmm… none,” he shook his head, “And you’re…”

She gulped down the pain that somehow forbids her to let out another word. He didn’t remember her. She played a huge role in his life, yet he couldn’t remember her. She forced out a smile, looking up to prevent tears from rolling down her cheek. “Lee Ji Eun. Jieun. You could never remember my name.” She chuckled, which sounded heavy and out of place. “I could understand that though, my name… is kinda unusual right?” But you used to remember me.

She remembered those days, where he would call out her name sweetly, in his sweet yet odd accent. He used to be living properly, unlike how he had become. She could spot his dark eye bags, his plump lip, his unhealthy skin, and also the pain reflected from his pair of sorrowful eyes. They used to live side by side.

“Ahh… your dogs. What is her name?” Jieun let out another words. Genie.

“Genie,” He said, after her what she had one mind. She knew that, it was the white Pomeranian that they bought together on their third year anniversary.

“Have you eaten yet? It seems you have lost lots of weight,” she almost gasped, mentally slapping herself for letting out odd questions, which he failed to notice. “Eat up. We doctors get lots of food, they kept us healthy. You should eat.” She offered him her lunch and she was delighted to see how he eats hungrily.

It has always been this way, he would come around every evening around four o’clock where she was supposed to get off work at a casual day. But these days, nothing has ever been casual. It has always been this way, her hurting because he could never remember her, and them talking about nonsense. He couldn’t remember her after all, he chooses to delete her after what happened and she once again has no rights to protest.

It was three months ago, when the surprised attack arrived, the first time after the war had started. It neglects the law, and it attacks citizens. His family was found dead, and his sister was injured. He was shocked and depressed, Lee Ji Eun became his only hope to save his sister yet she failed. Ever since that day, everything changed. He became a whole different person as he distant himself away from her. Their engagement was broke off, despite the fact that they have been together for the past five years. The ring that was supposed to be in her fingers was no longer there, taken away from her. And ever since that day, she lived in pain and in fear.

In the end of the day, they both acts as stranger – she who could remember and he who forgets.

***

“He’s here again,” Luna said, pointing toward the front door. Jieun smiled, she was being extremely bitter today. She hasn’t even smiled today, her smiled were force, a bit too painful and bitter.

She sat next to him, again him in his sorrowful pair of eyes, watching the war coming closer. She did not talk; she did not have the strength to do so. She remained quiet; she has been the one to start the conversation but not this time.

“Jieun-ssi,” it was his first time, not forgetting her name, “you know… if this war didn’t happen, I might be living happily today.”

“If this didn’t happen, all of us will be living a better life.” Jieun replied, her voice was shaky.

“Yes, but I will be particularly happy,” he forced a smile. “I’m supposed to get married today, to a beautiful and fine woman.”

To her, To Lee Ji Eun whom he has chosen to forget. Did he remember her? Even if they talked day by day, he would always forget her name. “To who… if I may..?” She looked away, unable to hold back her tears, as it rolled down her cheek.

“To…” he smile so brightly, one which she rarely seen these days. “To…” but suddenly, it all faded away. “I… couldn’t remember her. I suddenly… couldn’t remember her… her name… her figure…” He gasped, which hurt her even more.

“Tao, Huang Zi Tao.” She called out his name for the first time, her voice shaky as she had no strength to hold back her tears. He stared at her, dumfounded, sorrow reflected from his pair of eyes. He has never told her his name, yet how could she know?

She who remember and he who forgets.

Will we be able to see the same clear blue sky where we used to share together? Hidden behind this darker days, was days with clear blue sky, with us living happily. 


Author Note

I'm disappointed at this chapter. Well, it's particularly my fault, I postponed this a lot. Mmm.. bad  I guess, to an extent that I don't want to post it. But... I've written it. I think I'll be rewritting this piece.  This chapter, despite all this unsatisfied feelings, I hope you all enjoy it. I'm feeling down now... By the way! It's the 11th chapter and... I wanted to know your favorite story! From 1 to 10, don't include this chapter since it's bad. Tell me okay! Your favorite chapter from the last 10th chapter! I'm just curious and also bored.