One Step Too Late

Running to Happiness with Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Six years ago, I was dating Jonghyun’s sister, Sodam. It was a blind date, Jonghyun set us up. I didn’t like her at first, but after I got to know her more on the first date, she seemed like a really innocent and caring girl.” L.joe began at a table in the corner of a coffee shop near the mall, with Sungyeol across from him.

“Innocent?” Sungyeol repeats the word. “All s like innocent girls don’t they? How innocent is she when she ruined my back!! I still have that scar to this day.”

“Please, listen, Sungyeol. I didn’t know she was like that, I swear to god. Her acting was unbeleaveable. I dated her from the beginning of that year, and around spring, we went to Busan together for two days. The next week after we came back she told me she was pregnant. It wasn’t a lie, we went to the doctor’s and I confirmed it. That used it against me. She told me to keep it cool, or else she would sue me for . I was really drunk when we were together that night in Busan, I couldn’t even remember my actions. I was scared and selfish, so I followed her lead. I became her dog and did whatever she told me to, just to make sure I wouldn’t need to spend any time in jail. I didn’t want to hurt you, Sungyeol. My hands were trembling before I hit you that day in the washroom. I couldn’t sleep well for the rest of the school year when you never came back. I regret everything I’ve done to you. The baby wasn’t even mine. She slept with another guy behind my back. I was an idiot, I didn’t use my brain. I’m sorry. Please, forgive me. Let me make it up to you Sungyeol.” L.joe begged for forgiveness.

“If a simple, sorry, could fix things, then I would stab your back as well and just apologise. If we were to trade positions and you were in my place, I bet you anything, you wouldn’t have forgiven as well. I’m not going to forgive you L.joe. You were my best friend, but you will never be my friend anymore. I’m not the one responsible for your immature actions, you should have reflected on them before you came here. “Sungyeol finished what he had to say and got up.”

“Please Sungyeol, what can I do to make you accept me back? Is there anything I can do to prove to you I really regret it? L.joe almost dropped down to his knees this time.

Sungyeol turned around and glared into the eyes of L.joe’s.

“No, there isn’t. You will never be able to make up for your actions after all the pain I’ve gone through. You don’t understand how much it hurts to have your brother die because of you. To be abandoned and hated by your parents. They wished I died that day. Don’t call me Sungyeol anymore, the Sungyeol you knew died. I’m Lee Youngsoo now.”

“Stop, please. I’ll do anything you say, just forgive me.” L.joe pulled Sungyeol back and rested his forehead on to Sungyeol’s left shoulder blade.

“Let go of me, now. People are staring, you’re ruining your own image.” Sungyeol moved forward, trying to release himself from L.joe’s grip.

“I don’t care. If it costs my image, so be it.” L.joe said.

Sungyeol didn’t say anything and elbows L.joe’s stomach, releasing himself and left the coffee shop.

“. It hurts.” L.joe says out loud. “What are you all looking at?”

Everyone resumes to what they were doing at once.

“Sungyeol, I won’t back down so easily.” L.joe quietly says to himself.

___________________________________________________________________________

“Secretary Choi, I’d like you to help me find information on Lee Sungyeol. I want to know where he’s at. Try to find whether or not he has left the country.” Woohyun tells the person on the other end of the phone.

“Your request will be reported by tomorrow sir.” His secretary gets to work.

____________________________________________________________________________

“Crap. I must have scared Yoonmi back there when I just left her alone. It’s already four, I might as well head back and tell her everything’s fine.” Sungyeol says as he heads back to the bookstore.

The boy eventually walks into the store and a surprise awaits him.

“Youngsoo oppa! My mom has good news for you!” Yoonmi calls out as Sungyeol enters.

“Youngsoo –goon, I head from Yoonmi that you were trying to find a job. Did you find anything yet?” Yoonmi’s mom asks.

“No not yet, it seems like I don’t have much luck these days.” Sungyeol replies with a chuckle.

“Would you like to help out here at the bookstore?”

“Yeah! I’d really appreciate that! Thank you so much Yoonmi’s umma.”

“No problem! Call me Nara if you want. You’re so nice to my daughter, just like an older brother. Anyway, there’s not much training for you, just look after the counter, great people when they come in, and if they need to find anything just lead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter