Epilogue:Happiness

Running to Happiness with Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just a song recomendation while reading. 

 

“You received a letter in the mail today,” the manager handed L.joe a pink envelope, “which is really weird, considering that fans don’t know the dorm address and rarely anyone writes by hand anymore.”

The boy sat down on the sofa and carefully tore it open, finding a long sheet of paper folded up. It was really a hand written letter.

 

Dear Byunghyun,

It’s me, Sungyeol!! I’m not sure how to begin this letter. Should I ask how you’re doing? It’s not like you’re going to write back to me though. Anyway, I hope you’re doing well and you should be. I know that I shouldn’t be the one to comment on the idol life, but I can imagine how hard it is. Just try not to work too hard on yourself, okay?

Believe it or not, you are one of my best friends. Even though our history together was rough, we made up in the end. I would not have ever dreamed that I’d run into you again after leaving high school all of a sudden. It must have been hard for you. You met the wrong people at the wrong time and ended up being forced to do things against your will. I know you’re still bitter about what happened in the past with that scar on me, but I’ve moved on now. Please, take my word and move on as well. The scary days are over and brighter ones are yet to come your way.

Never would I have thought you’d have romantic feelings for me. I guess my childishness was a charm, right? In all honesty, I apologize for being so dense and not noticing. Is that why you kept sticking up for me in the first place?!!?!?! I’m telling you, Lee Byunghyun, you would’ve dropped me like a hot potato if it weren’t for my amazing looks. I know it.

You deserve someone better than me, you know what I’m saying? I’m someone that’s super emotional. Someone who needs constant care. I’m like a non-stopping roller coaster. If you leave me alone, you don’t know what’s going to happen next.

Anyway, I’ve actually done some research and your fans seem to ship you with one of your members, Chanhee. Hey, I’ve seen the way he looks at you when you chased after me. I think he’s interested, so why don’t you give him a chance? You never know if you don’t try.

May you find the road to happiness,

-Sungyeol

__________________________________________________________________________________

                       

The moment Woohyun opens the door to his office he notices and pink envelope on the top of a pile of mail. He hangs his coat up and cuts open the side of the packaging, letting the letter drop out onto his hand.

 

Dear Woohyun,

To start off this letter, I want to thank you for sticking by my side all these years. You were my friend, lifesaver, boss, and lover for a brief period. I will always be thankful towards you for life, believe it or not. I would have never met someone like you if I hadn’t stop Jonghyun from beating you up that day at school. Most of all, I wouldn’t have been saved if it weren’t for you returning your deed. I guess it’s true, what goes around, comes around.

You were the only person that was there for me when I was abandoned by my own parents and everyone. You were the one that took me in and offered me a shelter and a job. I never blamed you for my brother’s death, Woohyun. He died because of my own faults, my attitude, and because I didn’t follow the rules of the game back then. I was hanging out with awful people, which I chose myself. Unfortunately, that was partly the cause of my brother’s death. 

The days with you were the calmest and most peaceful days I’ve spent in my lifespan. I won’t forget the days when we’d fool around randomly on the bed as teenagers. I won’t forget how breathtaking you looked in that suit when you became the vice present of the company that night. I’ll remember how well you’ve treated me and never once have to tried to throw me out.

I know that I’ve treated you like dirt, and you deserve a much better person than me. I’ve fallen in and out of love with you constantly, but you stayed in from the start. I was disloyal, I’ve pushed you aside and made space for someone else other than you, yet you didn’t mind. Can’t you see Woohyun? I don’t deserve you. You should be with someone who treasures you a lot. Someone who only thinks of you and has you filled in their mind.

You were one of the roads to happiness, but I was blinded and never took it. Instead, I constantly ran away and ended up missing my chance.

May you find the road to happiness,

-Sungyeol

__________________________________________________________________________________

“Son, you have mail today!” Mrs. Kim walked through the front door, into her house. “I’m leaving it on the stairs.”

“Thanks, I’ll get it!” Myungsoo yelled down the hallway from the second floor, putting on a shirt. The boy walked down the stairs and saw a pink letter sitting on the bottom of the staircase. He examined the writing.

 

To: Jerk Kim Myungsoo

Address: Kim’s Sweet Potato Farm

Return Address: Kim’s Sweet Potato Farm

Myungsoo laughed at the childish writing that could be guessed easily. He went out of the backdoor, leading to the farm.

“Can you tell me why you wrote me a letter?”

The boy on the tire swing turned around and smiled at him, “I was writing letters and got bored, decided to include you on the list. You should be honored.”

“I can give you lots of work if you have free time,” Myungsoo looked around the farm and rested a hand on his waist. “You could pull out all the weeds, you could water the soil, or you could help my mom with the cooking.”

“I’d burn the kitchen down.”

“It’d be good preparation for the future when it’s only you and me,” Myungsoo crossed his arms.

“It’s not like you have a job either, Mr. I-used-to-be-an-idol.”

“That’s because I gave it up for the perfect Lee Sungyeol right here, who’s slowly breaking my swing from eating so much and not working on our farm.”

“Like I said, I don’t like sweet potatoes,” Sungyeol swing himself higher on the swing.

“Well, I’ll train you.”

“It’s impossible to train the perfect.”

“We’ll see about that,” Myungsoo joined the other and sat on the tire, facing across from Sungyeol, “tell me truthfully, do you miss the city?”

Sungyeol took a deep breath and looked at the blue sky scattered with clouds above him, “Not yet, I wouldn’t mind staying here for a while.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

(Flashback)

“The patient is losing too much blood we need a family donor. Is anyone here a member of Lee Sungyeol’s family?”

“I’m not blood related to him, but I’m B blooded as well,” Woohyun stood up in contribution.

Within a few minutes, the results were out and ready.

“I’m sorry Mr. Nam, but your blood type is B negative, whereas our patient is B positive. The types don’t match, we’ll have to-”

“I’m O positive; can you please take my sample as well?” Woohyun looked behind him and saw Myungsoo running down the hallway of the hospital towards the nurse.

The nurse did the same routine again and confirmed the results. “This is a possible match with the patient’s. Are you willing to donate to him?”

“Of course,” the boy answered without much thought.

“Then please come this way, Mr. Kim.”

Myungsoo followed the nurse in suite, but was suddenly stopped by a gentle grasp.

“Hey, thanks a lot…for saving Sungyeol I mean,” Woohyun smiled from the bottom of his heart.

“I’d do anything to keep him alive. I’m sure you would have done the same if you could.”

Woohyun waited for an hour after another. Before he knew it, he had already been waiting for six hours outside the operation room, feeling nothing but worries. When the operation was finished, the surgeon told him that he needed to wait until Sungyeol was up and stable enough to see anyone. So after around four more hours, he finally got the chance to see him.

He carefully turned the handle and opened the door into the room. “Sungyeol?” There was no answer; the boy was still asleep. “Please hurry and wake up, I want to make sure you’re fine.”

Woohyun sat in a chair next to the boy, he ended up falling half asleep, but an alarming voice woke him back up.

“Myungsoo…..Myungsoo, where are you?” Sungyeol’s eyes were still closed, but he was starting to squirm in the bed. “I don’t want to die. I don’t want to…” the male tossed from side to side.

“Sungyeol! Calm down, it’s me.” Woohyun held onto Sungyeol’s hand tightly, quickly pressing onto the nurses’ button rapidly. He could see a layer of sweat on the crown of the boy’s head.

The nurse appeared and did indeed calm the patient down, but the first thing he asked once he was assured was about Myungsoo.

“Mr. Kim? He donated blood to you for the operation, but I think he’s still unconscious from the after affects. He seems to have low blood pressure as well.”

“I want to see him,” Sungyeol tried to get out of bed, only to be stopped.

“You can’t Mr. Lee. You just had a chest surgery. You’re still in a critical stage. A simple mistake could cause a collapse on your chest, please understand.”

When the nurse returned to her rotation, Woohyun was left alone in the room with Sungyeol. “Look at you, getting so worked up because of Myungsoo. I wonder if you would have reacted the same way if it were me.”

Sungyeol was in aww and his jaw dropped slightly from the sudden comment. “Of course I would be worried. Even if it were someone else I would care for them.”

“Right, whatever you say,” the other stretched his arms, “I mean he is the source of your blood. Without him, you’d probably be dead right now.”

“Woohyun, I’m going to leave with you.”

“Nope, you’re not. Access denied, sorry.”

“What? Didn’t you say you loved me?”

“Of course I love you, Sungyeol. You’ll always be the one I love the most, but you don’t feel the same about me. The first name you called out just now, even in your sleep was Myungsoo. You almost threw a fit because of Myungsoo. The one you really love is him, not me. I can’t just tear you apart from him because of my own feelings. I’d rather have you go explore a horrible life with him and realize someday that I’m the true one you need and  you’ll come back to me.”

“What if I don’t ever come back?”

Woohyun sighed and looked at his two feet. He didn’t expect a question like that.

“See, you already have confidence being with Myungsoo. I really can’t say much then, Sungyeol.”

“I-” Sungyeol paused after an unexpected entrance, his palm sill clasped onto the back of Woohyun’s.

Myungsoo awkwardly walked into the tense room standing next to the closed door.

Sungyeol blankly stared at him and looked over to Woohyun, who got up in an instant. “Alright, I’m just going to go-”

“No, Woohyun I-” Sungyeol still clung on.

“Sungyeol, please,” he brushed off the other’s hand, “I’ll be outside.”

“NO. You’re staying here,” Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo, standing alone. “I’m sorry, but can you stand outside for now instead?”

Myungsoo was about to protest and Sungyeol could easily read him, but he chose to accept the request in the end, “Okay.”

“Thanks.”

Woohyun watched as the visitor retreated, telling the door to close faster in his mind, “What are you doing?” He asked when the click sound of the door was heard.

“What are YOU doing?” the other asked back.

“I’m finally here letting you go and you’re asking me to stay?

“I’m willing to leave with you!” Sungyeol almost screamed the words.

Woohyun rolled his eyes, “Is that what you want? Because you better not regret it.”

“Let’s just leave when I’m discharged.”

“Whatever you say then, I’ll go book the flights,” the older made his way to the door with a phone in hand. “What about him?”
“I’ll talk to him one last time.”

“Take your time,” Woohyun advised before opening the door.

Myungsoo practically jumped from his seat when he heard footsteps walking out into the quiet hallway.

“You can go in now,” the other boy pointed.

“Thanks.”

Woohyun gave him a weak smile before he continued walking. He knew what was going to happen.

 

Sungyeol tangled his fingers under the blankets, unable to stay calm.

“Uhh…hey,” the boy said standing near the now closed entrance. “Are you okay?”

“Well I’m alive, thanks to you.”

“Umm, you’re welcome?” Myungsoo wasn’t sure how to break the awkwardness. Instead, he took the open chair next to the bed where visitors sat. “I quit my job. I’m no longer an idol.”
“It really doesn’t have anything to do with me anymore,” Sungyeol swallowed what seemed to be a lump in the throat. “We already ended whatever we had going on before so it’s all good. You don’t need to explain these things to me.”

“But it does have something to do with you. I’ve decided to choose you.” Myungsoo placed a hand on top of the other’s seemingly cold one.

“Don’t, I saw that scandal, you’ve already moved on, why-”

“I wasn’t with another woman, it was all just a scam. Sunggyu posted the real pictures online already, it was just him in a wig in order for me to get out of the industry,” he quickly took out his phone and searched for the images. “Please, look. You have to believe me.”

Sungyeol examined the pictures closely. Indeed, it really seemed to be Sunggyu fooling around with a wig on next

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter