Excuses

Spontaneous Circumstances

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted anything, hasn't it? Well, I was inspired to write this one after my college's movie viewing last night, so enjoy!

 


 

I don’t know whether or not it was because I wanted to be fashion conscious, or if I was just being plain stupid, but I decided that a thin blouse and a light jacket was enough for tonight’s moving viewing. However, once night fell, I began to realize my huge mistake. I was shivering and my teeth were beginning to chatter. No amount of laughing and crossing my arms could make me any warmer. Of course, it only made it worse that there were no seats left, so I was forced to stand partly leaning against a bike rail while I watched the film play across the wall, fighting the cold. Jeez, you’d think it was snowing or something, but it wasn’t. I was just cold.

 

I was here alone, since my friends all had other plans. It wasn’t really their fault, but I always felt like the loner, the last one to learn about plans or the one people contacted only if it was necessary. It was depressing, and coupled with the fact that I didn’t get along with my suite mates, my first year at university wasn’t looking too bright. But whatever, it was night right now anyway. And there was always tomorrow, right?

 

Actually, turning back to my room right now wasn’t a bad idea…but I didn’t want to be the girl who was locked inside her dorm the entire year. I forced myself to go out these past days before school started so it wouldn’t be habit. Looking at my phone ruefully, I promised myself that I wouldn’t head in until 9:00 pm. Then I could take a warm shower and snuggle up to some hot chocolate…and the bag of kettle corn someone just handed me.

 

Tucking my phone back into my jean pocket, I blew on my hands before crossing my arms again, eyes back onto the short films that were running. It wasn’t like it was a fluke to come to this movie viewing. The food was decent, especially that grilled cheese sandwich they gave out, or the churros and lemonade. However, it was a bit depressing that I was alone, and that I had no seat to relax into. Switching my weight onto my left from my right, I let out another low sigh. Things I did to make myself socially acceptable.

 

“You look a little cold there.”

 

I jumped slightly out of surprise upon hearing a voice. Turning to my left, I noticed someone standing next to me, concern in his eyes as he looked back at me.

 

“Um, yeah. I am a little,” I said vaguely. No need to tell him about my weather prediction plunder.

“Here, take this,” he said as he began to shrug out of his jacket.

“Oh, no no, I don’t need it. I’m fine, rea—”

“You aren’t fine. Even I can tell that you’re cold,” He said interrupting me before promptly wrapping his jacket around my shoulders.

 

I could feel the warmth from the jacket as he finished wrapping it around me, and looked up to see him in a sweater. Sticking his hands into his pockets, he looked over at me and grinned.

 

“I was getting a little hot anyways, so thanks for giving me an excuse to get rid of it, at least for awhile.”

 

I was silent still as he made that comment, and continued to look at him.

 

“You looked like you needed it more anyways,” he added cautiously in response to my silence.

“Um, thanks…I guess.”

“So you finally talk?”

“Sorry, it’s just I’m not really accustomed to strangers giving me their jackets.”

 

I had to have some comeback, right?

 

He laughed and stuck out his hand.

 

“I’m Min Ho, majoring in Music.”

 

Taking his hand I shook it and introduced myself in return.

 

“I’m Jung In, General Biology.”

 

Withdrawing our hands, we both turned back to the movie screen, me pulling the jacket a bit closer around me.

 

“So why are you out here alone?” He started the conversation again.

 

Blushing, I was forced to admit again why I was lonely.

 

“My friends had other plans…and I didn’t want to be locked inside my room on the last night before class.”

 

I suddenly realized he was alone as well.

 

“And you?”

“Same. My friends were busy too.”

“What a coincidence.”

“I know, right? Maybe there’s a reason for that.”

 

He looked at me mysteriously and I smiled back.

 

“Maybe.”

 

And so the rest of the night passed as we watched the short films and chatted in between. We got seats eventually, and before I knew it, the movie screening had ended, way past 9:00. Min Ho offered to walk me back to my suite, and although I protested just like before, he insisted. At the door we both exchanged numbers before he waved and went back to his own dorm.

 

Settling into my chair, I realized that his jacket was still around me. Standing up quickly, I left my dorm and then exited the suite but couldn’t see Min Ho in sight.

 

Just then, my phone received a message and I opened it up to read. Finally, with a smile, I walked back into my dorm and hung the jacket up.

 

 

Choi Min Ho

+XXXXXXXXXX

 

You can return the jacket tomorrow. Thanks for giving me an excuse to see you again.

 


 

Yup, that's what I wished happened to me last night ;( Lol.

Subscribe, comment, up vote, and/or request!

<3 WinterRose