Anniversary

Spontaneous Circumstances

This is a request from mimi10. I hope you enjoyed it. I tried to incorporate some of the things you suggested, and couldn't help add something of my own. Do tell me how you feel about it.

 


 

It was cold; the rain was cold despite the hot summer season. On a normal day, I would have welcomed the water pouring from the skies. Today, however, was not a normal day; it was the first anniversary of our break up. People normally don’t keep track of such things, but I just did. Maybe it was because I was so irrevocably in love with him that I still remembered, still unsure of where we went wrong.

 

It started off well enough. We both liked each other, and he confessed first. I readily gave him my response on the spot, and thus we became a couple.  Everyone commented on how it was “about time”, how “cute” we looked together, and how “perfect” we looked. I’m not afraid to say we were happy, because we were...until things started going downhill.

 

Work got in the way. We never had time to see each other. Stress and tensions ran high every time we did. Harsh words were exchanged before we had time to regret them. Apologies flowed from our lips, traded back and forth like playing cards. Pretty soon, even those lost their effect; they didn’t make us feel better one bit.  It was clear that our relationship couldn’t be mended, not with the way we were then. The decision was mutual: we had to split.  I was the one who brought it up first, but he agreed, knowing how much of a toll this failing relationship was putting on us.  With a last goodbye, we went our separate ways.

 

I didn’t realize how much I would miss him until after he was gone. Ironic, isn’t it? Did I love him again? No. I never stopped loving him, but our separation was for the best. The space he used to fill was now void, and I kept pining after him. I was left picking up the pieces of my heart and regretting my decision.

 

I saw him not once after that day. The year passed by and now it was summer again, time flowing so quickly, yet so slowly at the same time. I didn’t know how much further I had to endure until I would feel better again.

 

Done with my thoughts, I was pulled back to the present. Me, being me, forgot to bring an umbrella today. I thought I could avoid the downpour if I walked home quickly enough after work; obviously I was wrong, and now I’m sure I looked nothing less of a drowned rat. Pressing the street light button, I stood back and fought another shiver, praying the light would change in my favor. Just as the rain came down even harder, it all suddenly disappeared from above me.

 

Turning my head, I held in a gasp but knew that my face clearly displayed my surprise.

 

“You’re going to catch a cold, you know,” he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“I’ll be okay,” not really able to hide the chattering of my teeth.

 

A beeping could be heard, letting me know it was time to cross the street. Stepping out from under my temporary haven, I briskly made my way across and toward home. I didn’t want to stay outside in this weather anymore than I wanted to stay in his presence, especially if he suddenly appeared out of nowhere. The rain stopped hitting me again, and it was then that I realized he had caught up with me.

 

“How have you been?”

“Fine.” I didn’t trust myself to say anything more, or else I would reveal my feelings.

“That’s good.”

 

I hesitated before speaking again. I had to at least return the courtesy, right?

 

“You?”

“Fine.”

“That’s…good.”

 

Wryly, we both shared a look and smiled. Maybe it wasn’t so bad to meet up with him again like this. He cleared his throat and turned away, letting me know how close we really were under the umbrella.

 

“Where are you heading to?” I surprised myself with the words coming from my mouth.

“Home. Well, at least, I was heading home.”

“Oh.”

 

He pointed ahead down the street.

 

“Still the same place?”

“Yeah. Nothing’s really changed.” Little did he know, I had an underlying meaning to those words.

“Same here.” I didn’t dare hope he held the same feelings as I did.

 

The rest of the walk to my apartment was silent, save for our footsteps, the rain, and the street noise. Once we made it to my door, I turned to him.

 

“Well, I guess this is it.”

“I suppose so.”

 

Both of us stood there awkwardly, not really sure what to say next, even though it was obvious.

 

“I’ll see you around?”

 

He spoke first and I simply nodded, not expecting much out of it except for a farewell. Stepping back, he turned and walked down the hallway. I moved to open my door but barely opened it before he spoke up again.

 

“Eun Sung.”

 

Facing him, I arched an eyebrow.

 

“Yes, Jin Ki?”

“I meant it, you know. Seeing you around.”

 

It was only then that I let my heart soar.

 

“I know.”

 


 

Feel free to subscribe, comment, and/or request!

<3 WinterRose