Sweet Encounters

Spontaneous Circumstances

Here's another one for Miss_Shinee2013. I'm sorry it took longer than usual, and that it's not as long as the other ones, but I hope you enjoy it never the less!

 


 

I smoothed the skirt of my dress out as I sat down on one of the chairs set up for the ceremony. My close friend was getting married to the love of his life, and I couldn’t be happier for them. Since I owned a bakery, they naturally commissioned me to make their wedding cake. That was feat within itself, mostly because I was a perfectionist, and because I wanted their cake to suit their wonderful wedding.

 

It was a simple ceremony, out in the gardens under the shade of trees, with small areas of sunlight peeking through. It was simple, but beautiful. Pretty soon, the chairs were filled and it was time to start the ceremony. Meeting the eyes of my friend, I gave him an encouraging smile. He grinned in response before the music came on, and the bride made her way down the aisle.

 

The ceremony went well, and everyone was all smiles, save for a few leaky tears. The reception would also be held in the same location, so after everyone congratulated the newly-wed bride and groom, everyone slowly made their way to the tables and sat down, waiting for the servers to bring out the refreshments.

 

Taking a seat, I made small talk with the guests at the same table, but really didn’t find much to talk about. Thanking the server, I dug into the appetizers and ate gratefully, thankful for the food to quell my hungry stomach.

 

“How’s the food?”

 

I looked over to my right and noticed a new face had joined the table. Swallowing my food and then taking a quick sip of water, I answered.

 

“It’s great. I’ve been hungry since this morning, so it’s good to get some food in. What do you think of it?”

 

I looked over to see a young man with a smile on his face. He had dark hair and slightly feminine facial features, but it added to his handsomeness.  He too took a sip before answering.

 

“I would hope it’s good as well. I’m the one in charge of it.”

“Oh, really now?”

 

I took another bite and chewed thoughtfully, thinking as I swallowed.

 

“Well, it still tastes good to me. So I guess that’s a good thing.”

 

He grinned at my response and offered his hand for a shake.

 

“I’m Tae Min, nice to meet you.”

“I’m Su Ri, and the same to you.”

 

We both took a few more bites of the food before resuming conversation. I looked over at him and seeing that I had his attention, asked him a question.

 

“So what’s your relation to the couple?”

“I’m the bride’s younger brother. And you?”

“Groom’s friend. I remember him mentioning Hye Mi had a younger brother, but I never heard a name.”

“Well, now you know. I suppose she doesn’t speak much of me,” he said with a wry grin.

“Perhaps he was too smitten with your sister to speak of anything else,” I .

 

We both shared a chuckle and the conversation came easily from there. Tae Min and I just seemed to click, and it made me wonder why I had never met someone like this before. Things that I would have never revealed on the first day with someone easily came out, but I wasn’t afraid of how he would think or judge me, because he didn’t. He shared his own stories as well, and I was glad that he was being just as open as I was.

 

The lunch reception ended, and everyone went to prepare for the dinner party that would ensue in a few hours. Tae Min and I exchanged our good-byes, promising to meet again tonight. Driving home, I realized that we never exchanged our numbers or contact information, but I didn’t worry too much, since we would be meeting again tonight. We could do that then.

 

A few hours later, with a new dress and a freshly made face, I made my way into the venue for the dinner party. After signing my name in the guest book and placing my wedding gift on the table, I walked into the ballroom and took some time to admire the decorations. Guests were slowly trickling in, since I had come a bit early, but soon it would become crowded. Appetizers were set along a long table for early guests to consume while waiting for the dinner to begin, and I made my way towards it to take a bit of food before sitting at my assigned table.

 

It didn’t take too long for the guests to arrive, and pretty soon the room was filled with music and the voices of people. Soon enough, the party started, and dinner came out along with the servers. I still didn’t see Tae Min yet, and to be honest I was a little worried, but I tried not to think too much of it. He was the bride’s brother, so perhaps he had some things to take care of before he could relax.

 

“Did you miss me?”

 

I was startled slightly to hear a voice from behind me, and turned to see Tae Min. Seeing my reaction, he grinned and took the empty seat beside me.

 

“Tae Min?”

“I’m sad. I guess you didn’t really think about me, did you?”

“Well, I assumed you were busy…”

 

He took the empty seat next to me and draped the napkin on his lap before digging into the food.

 

“Well, you were right about being busy. I had to take care of some problems in the kitchen so you could get your dinner.”

“Problems?”

“There was something wrong with the recipe. The cooks accidentally mixed it up with another one. But it’s all good now. You didn’t sense anything wrong, right?”

 

I laughed and shook my head.

 

“No, of course not! The food is delicious.”

“All thanks to me,” he said with a smirk

“I see you are very humble.”

“Yeah, well…”

 

He trailed off and we both laughed.

 

The rest of the night continued in the same manner the lunch reception did. We both spoke as if we had known each other for years, and the conversation was endless. The rest of the courses came out smoothly, and Tae Min didn’t fail to tell me all about each one, and how it was made. The end of the night came near, and pretty soon it was time to cut the cake.

 

I looked at the cake as they wheeled it out again and was filled with pride. I spent a week just designing the cake itself, and preparing for it took another week. When I finally got the recipe and details down, I was happy with the result.

 

“That cake looks amazing,” I heard Tae Min gasp.

“Does it really?”

 

I waited in anticipation for his confirmation, or lack thereof.

 

“Absolutely. I wonder how long it took to make that cake.”

“How long to actually bake it, or how long it took to prepare everything?”

 

He looked at me in curiosity, and I smiled.

 

“It took two weeks to get everything perfect. The baking itself, perhaps a few hours to get the sponge, the layers of fruit inside, and then the frosting on the outside. I guess a day would be more accurate.”

“You baked the cake?”

“Yes. You were in charge of the meals, and I was in charge of the cake. Interesting, that we met today, no?”

“Perhaps it was meant to be?”

 

He looked at me and I could feel a blush go across my face. I smiled and looked away towards the wedded couple cutting into the cake.

 

The rest of the night was for dancing, and slowly the number of guests made their way to the dance floor. I was content with watching but Tae Min seemed to have other ideas.

 

“Would you like to dance?”

 

I shook my head and answered in the negative.

 

“No, I’m not much for dancing I’m afraid.”

“Humor me.”

 

He still looked towards me, his hand offered with the palm up. I met his gaze and after a few moments, let out a sigh. Placing my napkin on the table, I accepted his offered hand and stood up. Seeing that I had given in, a grin spread across his face as he lead me to the dance floor. Thankfully, a slow dance song came on, so I wouldn’t have to worry too much about my lack of dance skills.

 

Once we arrived, Tae Min turned around and wrapped his free arm around my waist, pulling me closer. His other arm was up, hand still holding mine, and we slowly danced to the beat of the music, rocking back and forth.

 

We didn’t say much during that dance, or any of the others that followed. We simply stared at each other, or rather he did, and I somewhat met his gazes before diverting my eyes in embarrassment. When we had finished with our dances, Tae Min lead me back to our table, and I saw that my phone had a notification.

 

Seeing that it was from my mom, I went outside and called her back.

 

“Mom, is everything okay?”

“Yes dear, but I’m feeling a bit sick. Your father is still on his business trip, and I was wondering if you could pick up some medicine for me?”

“Yes, of course. I’ll go do it now.”

 

Hanging up, I turned to see Tae Min standing there waiting for me. Walking up to him, I gave him a small smile.

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting, but my mom called and she’s sick.”

“Oh no, is she all right?”

“Yes, but she doesn’t sound too good, and I need to pick up some medicine at the store before heading over.”

 

Checking the time, I smiled wryly.

 

“It’s getting late, so I should really start heading back. Thank you for the great time today. I really appreciate it!”

 

With a last smile, I rushed outside towards my car. The store would be closing in half an hour, and I really had to rush if I wanted to get the medicine in time before it closed.

 

Luckily I made it in time, and managed to get the cold medicine. I unlocked the front door and walked in to see the lights out, but saw that my parent’s room was lit.

 

“Su Ri, is that you?”

“Yes, Mom. It’s me.”

 

I poured a glass of water and brought the medicine to the bedroom for my mom to take before she went to bed.

 

“Why are you all dressed up?”

“I had a wedding to attend. My friend commissioned me to bake their cake.”

“Oh, I see. Did you have fun?”

“Yes, I did! I met someone who was in charge of the catering. His name was Tae Min, and…!”

“What is it, what’s wrong?”

“And I forgot to exchange contact information with him….”

 

Seeing that I forgotten made me sad and frustrated that I forgot. My mom smiled and patted the top of my head.

 

“If it’s meant to be, then you two will find each other.”

 

I laughed and shook my head in amusement.

 

“You believe in those things, mom?”

“Yes, and you’ll come to believe it too.”

“All right then, I’ll listen to your words. Get some rest mom, and I hope you’ll feel better in the morning.”

“Thank you, Su Ri. Good night to you too.”

 

I smiled and helped tuck her in before turning off the lights and leaving her bedroom.

 

 

Before I could stop her, Su Ri made her way out of the ballroom. And before I could go after her, my sister decided that I needed to take a picture with her.

 

So I ended up going home without trading numbers with Su Ri, and to say I was disappointed didn’t even explain half of it.

 

For once I found someone I could talk to freely without worry about how she would judge me, and we shared the same interests. We were both in the food industry after all. Not to mention, the conversations we had were some of the best I’ve had in a long time. I don’t even think I feel this comfortable with my closest friends.

 

I flopped onto my bed after taking a shower and cleaning up. The wedding was over, and after that near disaster in the kitchen, I was sure ready for a good night’s sleep. However, I was still bothered over the fact that I didn’t have any means to reach Su Ri. I wanted to meet her again, ask her out on a date, and perhaps further our relationship. Who knows what might happen? Problem is, I have no idea how to get to her. Turning out the light, I sighed and turned over on my bed. Perhaps I would find a solution in the morning.

 

The next morning when I woke, my sister called. Well, actually, she called and woke me up.

 

“Tae Min! Thank you for the catering yesterday. It was wonderful!”

 

I sat up and held back a yawn.

 

“Sure Noona, it wasn’t really anything. You know that’s up my alley.”

“Yes, yes, I know. But I felt like I had to thank you anyway. Many of the guests leaving complimented on the food, and well, I figured it would be nice for you to know.”

“I can’t take all the credit. The cake was phenomenal.”

“That too! We’re lucky that we had you and Su Ri to take care of all that. Catering is such a difficult thing to choose. And the cake is a whole other matter!”

 

Wait, Su Ri made the cake! That means I can ask my sister for her information, right?

 

“Noona, do you happen to have her contact information?”

“Yes, but why do you need it?”

 

I heard some shuffling on her end and waited for her to find the number before I answered.

 

“I met her yesterday and we had a nice conversation,” I tried to say nonchalantly.

“You like her, don’t you? You two were looking pretty close on that dance floor.”

 

I could hear the grin in her voice.

 

“Maybe, so that contact information?”

“Admit it like a man.”

 

Sighing, I agreed. Getting out of bed, I walked to my desk and took out a piece of pen and paper.

 

“Yes, I like her. Happy? Can I please get her number now?”

“All right, all right. Hold your horses brother. It’s XXX-XXX-XXX, ext XXXX. She owns the Garden Grove Bakery on Fifth and Brookhurst.”

“All right. Thank you noona!”

“Sure thing kiddo. Just tell me how it goes, yeah? I hear she’s a great person.”

“Yeah, she is.”

“Wow, you got it bad.”

“Noona!”

“Haha, okay. Off you go. I need to start packing for the honeymoon. Talk to you soon!”

“Bye sister. Have a safe trip.”

“Will do.”

 

And with that our morning conversation ended. Looking at the paper I had just written on, I could feel my mood brightening instantly. With that, I quickly dialed the number I had been given, and waited anxiously. Thankfully, someone picked up at the other end.

 

“Hello?”

“Is this Lee Su Ri?”

“Yes, that would be me. And who are you?”

“It’s Tae Min.”

“It’s nice to hear from you Tae Min. I’m sorry I had to rush last night.”

“It’s all right, you had to take care of your mom.”

“Regardless, I shouldn’t have run off like that.”

“Then you should make it up to me.”

“Make it up to you?”

“Are you free anytime soon?”

“Well, I suppose I am today. Mom is feeling a lot better today, so I won’t have to watch over her like I planned to. What do you have in mind?”

“Nothing in particular. I’d just like to see you again.”

 

The line was silent, and I was afraid I had scared her off, so I spoke up again.

“I mean, that is, if you want me to see you. I didn’t mean it in a bad way. I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, or worried, or—“

“Tae Min, it’s all right.”

“It is?”

“Yes, I was just surprised, that’s all. I’d love to see you again.”

“You would?”

“Of course. How about I meet you at the Starbucks on Chapman and Lakehurst? In about an hour?”

“That would be great.”

“All right. See you then!”

“See you!”

 

And I hung up the phone, putting it down on the table before doing a little happy dance. I had a good feeling about this, and hopefully I would find out soon for sure.

 

With that, I got ready for the day, and walked out of my apartment with light feet. I couldn’t wait to meet Su Ri again.

 


 

Subscribe, comment, and vote!

<3 WinterRose